Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

Mince Pie wrote: »
    Getting the coach from Bristol probably unless you want to drive. Ferry is expensive though and I personally wouldn't want to be driving after 5 days in a field.
    Booking a hotel for the Monday night afterwards is a must. That shower and sleep is the best ever!

Usually the best option is to fly into Bristol and then get the bus. Ferries can actually be expensive and the extensive road trip is **** when you have been sleeping on the ground for days and are broke.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Was always gonna happen. They're actually pretty good live but the last few albums aren't my cup of tea.

I'm guessing that Foo Fighters will be one of the other headliners after having to cancel last year. Then not sure about the third one.

FF don't seem to be playing any of the other festivals they had to cancel last year, and don't have any gigs planned for this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're not doing Glastonbury either.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭Sandwell

FF don't seem to be playing any of the other festivals they had to cancel last year, and don't have any gigs planned for this year, so it wouldn't surprise me if they're not doing Glastonbury either.

Radiohead, Muse and Adele seem to be the other main candidates.

I'm quite pleased to see Coldplay do the Sunday. All the more reason to head into Shangri La early on and beat the queues after the headliners finish.

yep, it seems to be them, although The Mirror reported a few months back that Fleetwood Mac were in final negotiations, but they aren't playing any gigs at the moment so probably aren't doing it either.

don't think Adele will do it as she isn't doing any outdoor gigs and hasn't since she was basically unknown.

Coldplay, Muse and Radiohead are all quite similar acts though really, so hopefully there's a bit of a curveball in there....

Rihanna and Beyonce were also mentioned, but I don't think they'd get Beyonce again (although she last played the same year as Coldplay). Rihanna is playing London on the Friday so perhaps could play the Saturday, although she rarely does 2 nights in a row on the current tour...

yep, it seems to be them, although The Mirror reported a few months back that Fleetwood Mac were in final negotiations, but they aren't playing any gigs at the moment so probably aren't doing it either.

don't think Adele will do it as she isn't doing any outdoor gigs and hasn't since she was basically unknown.

Coldplay, Muse and Radiohead are all quite similar acts though really, so hopefully there's a bit of a curveball in there....

Rihanna and Beyonce were also mentioned, but I don't think they'd get Beyonce again (although she last played the same year as Coldplay). Rihanna is playing London on the Friday so perhaps could play the Saturday, although she rarely does 2 nights in a row on the current tour...

Yeah, a surprise headliner would be welcome. Given they've booked Jay-Z, Beyonce and Kanye in recent years Rihanna would seem a logical booking. I'd be happy with that, but even happier if they could finally sort out Fleetwood Mac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Sandwell wrote: »
    Yeah, a surprise headliner would be welcome. Given they've booked Jay-Z, Beyonce and Kanye in recent years Rihanna would seem a logical booking. I'd be happy with that, but even happier if they could finally sort out Fleetwood Mac.

Fleetwood Mac would go down a treat at Glasters but is very much a band on autopilot, facsimile-type gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I think they went on a hiatus when the EP came out.

Emily said tonight that another headliner would be announced in 2 weeks.

also that FF aren't playing but 3 British bands are:
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/17/foo-fighters-arent-headlining-glastonbury-2016-but-three-british-bands-are-5702710/
    They were forced to pull out of Glastonbury last year when frontman Dave Grohl broke his leg – but Michael Eavis has now said that Foo Fighters WON’T be headlining the festival this year either.

Instead, the festival is set to be headlined by THREE British bands, with Coldplay already announced for the Sunday night of the Worthy Farm bash.

Speaking to Metro.co.uk at the NME Awards, Eavis confirmed that Foo Fighters won’t be playing this year – but said that he had assembled the ‘best line-up yet’.

Eavis said: ‘We’re going to announce the full line-up in April and it’s the best line-up we’ve ever had. We’ve got Coldplay on the Sunday night, and even Jeff Lynne’s ELO.

‘But Foo Fighters won’t be headlining this year, we’ve got three fantastic headliners but they aren’t one of them.

‘I’d like to see them play Glastonbury in the near future.’

His daughter Emily remained similarly coy about the festival’s headliners – but exclusively revealed that it will be the best of British taking top billing on the farm.

She said: ‘We’ve got three brilliant British bands headlining the festival, although I haven’t actually told anyone that yet.’

Eavis refused to reveal who those bands are – but the likes of Radiohead and Muse are among the bookies’ favourites to headline this year’s festival.

PJ Harvey confirmed for the Other Stage. not headlining though, seems that Bring Me The Horizon are headlining it on the Sunday.

https://twitter.com/emilyeavis/status/700229459887190016

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

Emily said tonight that another headliner would be announced in 2 weeks.

also that FF aren't playing but 3 British bands are:
    http://metro.co.uk/2016/02/17/foo-fighters-arent-headlining-glastonbury-2016-but-three-british-bands-are-5702710/

Aw nuts that's very disappointing for me, was counting on finally getting to see FF.

I like Muse but I've seen them several times and their new albums have been rubbish. Radiohead I like but wouldn't be a massive fan necessarily. What other British artists could it be?

Anyway I'm sure either way that there'll be loads of other great bands in the line up so not the end of the world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭leakyboots

The Wombles

showing the Bowie 2000 gig on the screens too:
    http://www.radiox.co.uk/artists/david-bowie/news/eavis-glastonbury-honour-bowie-screening-2000-set/#ppBOgBoe7mKMIxkd.97
    The festival founder attended last night's NME Awards and revealed their plans to pay tribute the late rock star, who died of cancer last month.

Asked by Radio X if there were any plans to honour the Let's Dance star at the upcoming festival, Eavis said: "Yes, we're doing a film of his set from the year 2000.

He added: "It's going to be shown on one of the screens when the stages are shut down. We'll show the entire set."

although it is Michael, so take it with a pinch of salt...

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Dont rule out Mumford and Sons either (if they are still touring during the summer)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Wooderson wrote: »
    Fleetwood Mac would go down a treat at Glasters but is very much a band on autopilot, facsimile-type gig.

That also sums up The Who last year - and at Marlay Park several years before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Dont rule out Mumford and Sons either (if they are still touring during the summer)

Ah they wouldn't be close to a headliner for Glastonbury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,901 ✭✭✭Mince Pie

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Ah they wouldn't be close to a headliner for Glastonbury.

Not this year but they have headlined at Glastonbury in 2013.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭whatever76

FFS Muse just announced for Fri night main headline ... Just dont get them so it will be off exploring to other ventures for me !!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

whatever76 wrote: »
    FFS Muse just announced for Fri night main headline ... Just dont get them so it will be off exploring to other ventures for me !!

Won't be a better headliner anyway, always belter live shows.

Not the most inspiring headliner but saw them years ago in the MEN in Manchester as a casual fan who only really knew super furry black hole and was absolutely blown away by them so unless there is something amazing on elsewhere I will finally get to see a Pyramid headliner.
    Would have preferred Prince but hey, the little purple one is just not up for it. :D

pity all their material since they first headlined has been dreadful. their last 2 albums have been utterly putrid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,587 ✭✭✭circular flexing

There's at least 20 other things going on at the same time as the Pyramid Stage headliners. It's ridiculous to get hung up on who is headlining, I went one year and didn't see one single band on the Pyramid Stage.

There's at least 20 other things going on at the same time as the Pyramid Stage headliners. It's ridiculous to get hung up on who is headlining, I went one year and didn't see one single band on the Pyramid Stage.

I went in 2014 and last year. The only people I saw on the pyramid were Courtney Barnett at midday and The Waterboys afterwards. Oh and stopped for about 10 mins of The Who before getting bored and ****ing off to see Grandmaster Flash. 100 stages thereabouts to choose from. Silly really. Headliners are for BBC armchair viewers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

So who would you like to see or find suitable for the West Holts stage, usually some funk and some reggae classics for that or edgy electronica that doesn't fit into the normal dance stages. Who do you think will get the Jon Hopkins spot this year for the Park Stage.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Muse are lucky they were taking the drugs they were when recording the first few albums because their career now is really just a live band. As a fan it's sad to see them got he way they have, they'll always put on good shows but it'll be the same songs from here on in.

Who do you think will get the Jon Hopkins spot this year for the Park Stage.

Floating Points would be my guess this year given that he's doing B&S the weekend before.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,384 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Corholio wrote: »
    Muse are lucky they were taking the drugs they were when recording the first few albums because their career now is really just a live band. As a fan it's sad to see them got he way they have, they'll always put on good shows but it'll be the same songs from here on in.

Ah the new album has a few belters. Reapers or the Globalist would be great live. Setlists can be very bland though, even if the performance is unreal.

Earth wind and fire would be bloody terrific closing West holts on Sunday night. Paaaaaartay

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

http://www.stenaline.ie/1eurodeal

Stena are doing a €1 each way deal for foot passengers until the 18th - be really good for keeping the auld glasto cost down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭sebcity

Adele just announced to headline Saturday night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,951 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

James have revealed they will open the second stage at this summer's Glastonbury Festival according to frontman Tim Booth in an interview on BBC 5 live.

The band will be the first act on the Other Stage at 11am on Friday 24 June at slot previously occupied by Kaiser Chiefs and The Charlatans in previous years, Booth said, "We're going to cut the ribbon and smash the champagne on the ship."

Advertisement