Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

Anyone have luck in the resale today? Think I may wait until Sunday...

• Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Chelon wrote: »
    Tried more as an investigation as I'm waiting for Sunday.. but no luck..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Zapho

Fierce lucky today. I had to book for 6 people but didn't realise that they were only allowing 2 per person for a the bus tickets.

Managed to get on 3 times and secured all 6!

Have to fly to Southampton but that's not a big deal.

Screen_Shot_2016_04_17_at_10_07.jpg
    yeah_boyeee_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

Basq wrote: »
    Screen_Shot_2016_04_17_at_10_07.jpg
    yeah_boyeee_shaun_of_the_dead.gif

What time did you get through? Well done!

• Advertisement

What time did you get through? Well done!
    Brother in law managed to get through relatively early while I was still auto-refreshing Safari, Chrome and Firefox, and trying using a PC set up in the US as well.

Chuffed as had an incredible time last year.. hoping the weather is as good this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Popped my cherry as well last year.
    Extremely jealous of everyone going this year. It truly is an amazing experience!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yeehaa. Got myself a ticket. Would have been pissed to ruin my streak.

Still in need of a campervan ticket though, may have to go back to slumming it in a tent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭Wooderson

robinph wrote: »
    Yeehaa. Got myself a ticket. Would have been pissed to ruin my streak.

Still in need of a campervan ticket though, may have to go back to slumming it in a tent.

How longs the streak? This is my 11th on the trot.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Wooderson wrote: »
    How longs the streak? This is my 11th on the trot.

Think it will be my 17th in total, having done every year since 1995 (except '96). So 16 on the trot.

This is the first year I've had to make use of the resale, although in the early years we just picked up the tickets from local record shops the week before for a princely sum of £55 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Do you boys live in the UK or do ye fly over? There's a group of us flying over from Dublin and none of us have been before. Any advice?!?

MadYaker wrote: »
    Do you boys live in the UK or do ye fly over? There's a group of us flying over from Dublin and none of us have been before. Any advice?!?
    Nope, taking ferry from Rosslare to Pembroke. Ye just going for weekend or staying for a few days before / after? If you're staying for a few days either side, I've a few tips on where to go (e.g Bath, Bristol) and where to avoid (e.g Weston-Super-Mare) here.

Currently in the UK, but have previously done it from Dublin for a good number of years.

Buy some spirits in the airport, but make sure it is the half litre plastic bottles, no glass.
    You can get a bus from the airport, to Bristol, then walk across Bristol, get another bus to the site which will get caught up in loads of traffic and will probably drop you at the Bath & West Showground where you'll get another shuttle bus direct to the gate.... or you could pre-book a taxi with a bunch of other people on the same flight as you and they will then hopefully not get stuck in the same traffic as they will take the back roads between the A37 and A38 and hopefully drop you closer to the pedestrian gate.
    Do not book an early flight back on the Monday as there is no telling how long it will take to get out of the site, and you'll probably be too wasted to get packed up in time to get your lift back to the airport anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Defo agree with a taxi, much quicker. And a late flight back Monday if possible. Or stay over Tuesday night. Can work out the same price as the flights are much cheaper on Tuesday.

Were flying out Wednesday morning early and flying back on monday evening/tuesday morning we haven't decided yet. There's 8 of us flying from Ireland and we were thinking we'd get a bus but I'll look into the taxi option as well, thanks for the suggestion about plastic bottles of spirits from the airport I hadn't thought of that! I'll probably just get a few bottles of vodka and if I want beer or cider ill buy pints.

I'll probably just get a few bottles of vodka and if I want beer or cider ill buy pints.
    Unless you're staying on vodka for most of the weekend, I'd bring some "tinnies" if you can..

.. you'll be paying £4.50 - £5 for a pint. Fine for a few pints but definitely is cheaper alternatives!

I have heard of people getting the taxis to stop at a supermarket on the way from the airport to let you pick up a few cans. Just don't get carried away when shopping as you'll have a loooooooong walk from getting out of the taxi before you setup camp. Of course you are then able to lighten the load along the way by opening a traveller or two. :)

Basq wrote: »
    Unless you're staying on vodka for most of the weekend, I'd bring some "tinnies" if you can..

.. you'll be paying £4.50 - £5 for a pint. Fine for a few pints but definitely is cheaper alternatives!

Agree with this. Drinking from the bars will burn a hole in your wallet real fast. Remember, its unlike any other festival. You can bring your own booze anywhere with you.

We asked the driver to stop off at a Tesco en route one year, keeping the meter running and we nipped in for a load of booze. Saves a fortune and its much more convenient. Would recommend spirits or wine over beer. 1. you'll be pissing a lot drinking beer all day and 2. its very heavy!

Regarding flights, if the Monday flights are 50 quid or more expensive than Tuesday, fly home Tuesday, take the 50 quid and pay for a hotel in Bristol.

One of the best things about the place is being able to bring in your own booze, very civilized.

The only problem is carrying it around; last year was my first time so bit of learning curve but ended up taking around 4 cans in small rucksack in every day then after that enjoying the fabulous ales on offer all over the place (even the dance tents etc have Otter ale, quite unbelievable).

Still coming to terms with fact that I probably won't be there this year, boo hoo ;-((

The only problem is carrying it around; last year was my first time so bit of learning curve but ended up taking around 4 cans in small rucksack in every day then after that enjoying the fabulous ales on offer all over the place (even the dance tents etc have Otter ale, quite unbelievable).
    Yeah, was spoilt last year. Stayed in Worthy View so we'd a car-boot with 2 cooler boxes of beer - surrounded by ice, frozen water bottles, salted water and wrapped in tinfoil - so parked up and brought a selection each day.

Had the 330ml craft beer cans from O Briens (everything from Five Lamps to Brewdog to Metalman) and they stack quite well in a backpack... more you drink, the lighter it gets! :)

Due to the dedication in prepping the cooler box, we'd still cold beer on the Sunday afternoon. Was great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

If i could only give one piece of glasto advice, using the flushing toilets at the back of the pyramid field would be it.

They were absolutely pristine all weekend last year, and a pleasure to visit compared to the cesspits that the longdrops near main stages become after a few days.

Some nice coffee stalls up beside them too.

After a few days of partying and drinking its amazing the comfort that can be found in doing your business on a proper piece of porcelain that doesnt have a few thousand peoples scutter floating a few feet below you.

ceegee wrote: »
    If i could only give one piece of glasto advice, using the flushing toilets at the back of the pyramid field would be it.

They were absolutely pristine all weekend last year, and a pleasure to visit compared to the cesspits that the longdrops near main stages become after a few days.

Some nice coffee stalls up beside them too.

After a few days of partying and drinking its amazing the comfort that can be found in doing your business on a proper piece of porcelain that doesnt have a few thousand peoples scutter floating a few feet below you.

One of the girls in our group heard some lad having a **** there last year.

ceegee wrote: »
    Indeed... while it comes at a premium but hot showers and clean loos in Worthy View were a godsend!

The composting loos are a close second to the flushing ones.

The portaloos are always to be avoided, except in the campervan fields where they are generally pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭ceegee

The Nal wrote: »
    One of the girls in our group heard some lad having a **** there last year.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Were flying out Wednesday morning early and flying back on monday evening/tuesday morning we haven't decided yet. There's 8 of us flying from Ireland and we were thinking we'd get a bus but I'll look into the taxi option as well, thanks for the suggestion about plastic bottles of spirits from the airport I hadn't thought of that! I'll probably just get a few bottles of vodka and if I want beer or cider ill buy pints.
    What flight are you getting on the Wednesday morning? There's three of us going on the 07:20 Ryanair from Dublin. We'd be interested in chipping in for the taxi from the airport if it makes sense to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

robinph wrote: »
    The composting loos are a close second to the flushing ones.

The portaloos are always to be avoided, except in the campervan fields where they are generally pretty good.

Used campervan portaloos every morning last year for the business, they were in great nick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭funnights74

2-1 win tonight to round off a decent week. 11th place in the table. Imagine if the club was actually properly run with a sane chairman, oh what we could achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

2-1 win tonight to round off a decent week. 11th place in the table. Imagine if the club was actually properly run with a sane chairman, oh what we could achieve.

Are you saying 'Eavis out'?

• Advertisement

Wrong thread id say :pac:

Advertisement