Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭TheChevron

Driving over with a Van from Rosslare to Pembroke. Mattress in the back of the van in case the weather is really crap. Plus we'll stay in the van Sunday night so we can get an early exit Monday morning to catch the afternoon boat back to Rosslare.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

TheChevron wrote: »
    Driving over with a Van from Rosslare to Pembroke. Mattress in the back of the van in case the weather is really crap. Plus we'll stay in the van Sunday night so we can get an early exit Monday morning to catch the afternoon boat back to Rosslare.

If you're in the camper fields they officially say it has to be a camper or suchlike. Not sure how strict they would be though but everyone we seen last year was a proper camper.

Plus you're not meant to kip in the car park afaik but again others could advise if you could wing it....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Chelon wrote: »
    If you're in the camper fields they officially say it has to be a camper or suchlike. Not sure how strict they would be though but everyone we seen last year was a proper camper.

Plus you're not meant to kip in the car park afaik but again others could advise if you could wing it....

They do check that you have a proper camper although there is a wide variety of conversions, a mattress in the back of a transit will not do. They won't let campervans into the carpark.

If anything I'd suggest hiding the matress when entering the car park so that they don't think there is any chance of you going for a kip in there, but do expect them to take a closer look into the van than they will the other cars on going into the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,220 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

From his post it sounds to me like they're bringing tents and the mattress is a last resort in case of a wash out.

I'm slightly worried about the weather. This will be my first Glastonbury but my seventh festival and I've never been at one where it rained much. We got a little bit wet on the Sunday night at Electric Picnic in 2010 but it wasn't that bad. Does it rain every year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

MadYaker wrote: »
    From his post it sounds to me like they're bringing tents and the mattress is a last resort in case of a wash out.

I'm slightly worried about the weather. This will be my first Glastonbury but my seventh festival and I've never been at one where it rained much. We got a little bit wet on the Sunday night at Electric Picnic in 2010 but it wasn't that bad. Does it rain every year?

I think there were a couple of hours of rain on the Friday last year - scorchio apart from that!

• Advertisement

Come oooonn Global Warming!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,913 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Utah wrote: »
    I think there were a couple of hours of rain on the Friday last year - scorchio apart from that!
    Yep, lashed once Catfish & The Bottlemen hit The Other Stage and a fair bit of rain for an hour or two after that.. but other than that, it was a belter!

Hoping for good weather this year too!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

In all the years I've gone I think there are only two where it was completely dry, every other year there has been at least some rain. They manage the water way better than in the olden days though and it gets far less muddy even if it does rain as they have better drainage, metal walkways and they put down straw to manage things when it gets a bit soggy.

Won't stop there being pictures in the media of people rolling around in puddles every year though, but it really isn't that bad usually. Even the year of the flooded Pennards Hill campsite the rest of the site was actually relatively OK for the rest of the weekend ( we had a river running over our tent and if the tent hadn't got a front and back door my mate would have been stuck inside).

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Does it rain every year?

Yes. Apart from 2010.

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

The Nal wrote: »
    Yes. Apart from 2010.

And we could have done with abit of rain then :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭Utah

Basq wrote: »
    Yep, lashed once Catfish & The Bottlemen hit The Other Stage and a fair bit of rain for an hour or two after that.. but other than that, it was a belter!

Hoping for good weather this year too!

Yes! I remember getting drenched at catfish!

Utah wrote: »
    Yes! I remember getting drenched at catfish!
    Cracking set, but twas brutal rain!

^^^
    This.

We did the same last year without any hassle. We stayed in the tent all weekend as it was fairly dry apart from that one mad downpour.

Seemingly, according to some local guru, they've had a lot of spring rain which means June is usually fairly dry.

Hope its true.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Well sadly now Glastonbury won't see any purple rain anyway, RIP Prince.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Kettle316

The Other Stage seems to have moved to the other side of the field. Other than that are there any big changes from last year?

Getting seriously excited now! Less than two months to go :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Kettle316 wrote: »
    The Other Stage seems to have moved to the other side of the field. Other than that are there any big changes from last year?

Getting seriously excited now! Less than two months to go :)

Looks in the same place to me.
    Only ones I see are some re-arranges in Silver Hayes and camping fields

• Registered Users Posts: 12,816 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Looks in the same place to me.
    Only ones I see are some re-arranges in Silver Hayes and camping fields

Peel stage has moved

http://gifmaker.cc/PlayGIFAnimation.php?folder=2016042302tBE5H9WA49K3TVe5lKDCoy&file=output_d8uG8d.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Chelon

I've only been once so a question for all the veterans:-

Does it change much from year to year re the layout and different areas etc? Obviously I'd think there would be tweaks to some of it but would areas like the Unfairground, Arcadia and Avalon Field etc be fairly similar to last year?

I'm imagining it all gets packed up, mothballed then rolled out again every year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭scary

Chelon wrote: »
    I've only been once so a question for all the veterans:-

Does it change much from year to year re the layout and different areas etc? Obviously I'd think there would be tweaks to some of it but would areas like the Unfairground, Arcadia and Avalon Field etc be fairly similar to last year?

I'm imagining it all gets packed up, mothballed then rolled out again every year.

John Peel stage moved this year but generally year on year things remain the same.

Various things move around each year but you may never notice. Arcadia has shifted around a few times and that is probably one of the bigger changes when it's moved as it greatly effects the directions that people wandering in afterdark. Some areas get tiny changes each year, like a bar moves from one side of a field to another, or a walkway moves, but that's about it.

I've been going for 20+ years now and still keep finding new things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

silvehayes953.png

Not my sorta thing, but lots for people there who do enjoy it..

.. though always been curious as to what Idris Elba is like as a DJ!

People around eFests reckon stages could be coming day-by-day / hour-by-hour now..

Christ almighty that's a lot of names for one area.

Basq wrote: »
    .. though always been curious as to what Idris Elba is like as a DJ!
    saw him last year, he was pretty crap from what I remember, barely even mixed anything, just threw one song on after another.
    then again, he was playing Sonic, which is a **** stage, so that may be colouring my judgement.

There's enough there to keep me entertained for the whole festival :)

Claptone, Eats Everything, Lee Scratch Perry, Four Tet some good names there. That Silver Hayes area is pretty much a festival on its own.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

So my gang of friends were lucky enough to get tickets in the resale!! Can hardly believe it!! :)
    We ended up with bus tickets from Southampton departing Thursday and returning Monday.

Has anyone ever gone from there? Trying to figure out flights but they won't confirm the bus times until they send us the bus tickets which might not be for another couple of weeks. (We've asked them on twitter and we've contacted see tickets and no one can confirm.)

Can't wait to see ELO!!! the Excitement!

• Advertisement

ChNeU1WWIAEeqP8.jpg

Advertisement