Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Suede - Night Thoughts

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,509 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

UK and Ireland tour dates announced!

Dublin Olympia - Wednesday 10th. February 2016

Got my Manchester ticket :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭Andrew Laeddis

Thats a CHOON

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Only two more days to wait. Have purposely tried to stay away from live versions and snippets of album tracks. Have only heard Outsiders and Like Kids. First time I've been genuinely counting down the days for an album release for ages. Reading a lot of reviews this week and it's getting some fantastic write ups. Some comeback for a band that looked dead on it's knees fifteen years ago. Olympia gig in three weeks as well to look forward to. Great to have them back.

Pighead wrote: »
    Only two more days to wait. Have purposely tried to stay away from live versions and snippets of album tracks. Have only heard Outsiders and Like Kids. First time I've been genuinely counting down the days for an album release for ages. Reading a lot of reviews this week and it's getting some fantastic write ups. Some comeback for a band that looked dead on it's knees fifteen years ago. Olympia gig in three weeks as well to look forward to. Great to have them back.

As long as it's better than 'A New Morning' :pac:

Manchester's the place to be this Saturday - HMV Signing, screening of the 'Night Thoughts' film followed by a Q and A with Brett and Matt :)

• Advertisement

As long as it's better than 'A New Morning' :pac:

Manchester's the place to be this Saturday - HMV Signing, screening of the 'Night Thoughts' film followed by a Q and A with Brett and Matt :)
    I think me and you could get together, write ten songs and knock out an album that's better than A New Morning! Listened to it again recently and there are four or five decent songs on it (Obsessions, Astrogirl, Lost in TV , Untitled/Morning as well as a Suede classic (Oceans). All in all though it's just a bit too safe and nice. No edge to it at all.

Back to Night Thoughts and Paul McCloone has an interview with Brett tonight as well as premiering the new album. Not sure what time the Suede bit is on but the show is on between 9 and 12.
    http://www.todayfm.com/Suede-Exclusive-on-The-Paul-McLoone-Show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

I only managed to get a seating ticket for the gig, which is annoying me. Standing area will be filled with balding, middle-aged men wearing Adidas runners. Not fair that a virile and handsome young buck such as myself should have to sit while decrepit old farts past 40 get to stand.

I see the show is in 2 parts. Playing the new album, then a selection of Suede classics.

Have just listened to the album twice and already I'm loving it. Stand out moment so far for me is Richard's guitar solo early on in 'I don't know how to reach you'. Really can't wait to see that live. Brett's voice has never sounded better. Tightrope is a beauty and the ending of fur and the feathers is immense. Only songs that haven't really done much for me so far are 'Learning to be' and 'I can't give her what she wants'. All in all it's Suede doing what they do best and it's probably their second best album they've recorded. Never ever thought they'd get back to this level again. Makes it all the sweeter. Roll on the Olympia gig.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Brilliant album. Up there with their very best. Bloodsports was great as well.

I'm liking 'I Don't Know How To Reach You', 'What I'm Trying To Tell You' and the last track. Great stuff :)

• Advertisement

I only managed to get a seating ticket for the gig, which is annoying me.

Never been to The Olmypia - don't they have a ticket office there? Ask if you can swap for a Standing ticket, there might have been returns.

Done it myself plenty of times at the Manchester Apollo :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭paulbok

Really really liking it.
    I had it on repeat for a couple of hours in the car yesterday, 1st two listen through's were very different for me. First listen was ok, but on the second the whole album came together, a lot of tracks seemed to blend into the next creating a continuous progression to the music, the reprise of the opening song on the second last had a 'full circle' feel to it.
    The only track that didn't seem to fit in was 'I can't give her what she wants.'

I'm not great at picking up lyrics, (I though for a few listens that Fight The Sorrow was f**k the summer) but what I have picked up throughout the album is a sense of getting older, trying to accept your not a young lad any more and wondering what your supposed to do now, how to act now you are getting on to the next phase of life.
    As someone who's a new dad and about to hit the big 40 in a few weeks, I found myself relating to a lot of the lyrics (well what I imagine they are, I'll have to check the cd sleeve and see if I am right).

However I can't wait for the gig in 3 weeks and if you are there and see a newly middle-aged man jumping around near the front, probably clutching his dodgy back, that'll be me telling the summer to fu*k off, and reliving my teenage days bopping to Suede in the SFX, my twenty's in the Ambassador, thirties in the Olympia.

Suede are back on song, back in town and I'm effin' chuffed.

paulbok wrote: »
    Really really liking it.
    I had it on repeat for a couple of hours in the car yesterday, 1st two listen through's were very different for me. First listen was ok, but on the second the whole album came together, a lot of tracks seemed to blend into the next creating a continuous progression to the music, the reprise of the opening song on the second last had a 'full circle' feel to it.
    The only track that didn't seem to fit in was 'I can't give her what she wants.'

I'm not great at picking up lyrics, (I though for a few listens that Fight The Sorrow was f**k the summer) but what I have picked up throughout the album is a sense of getting older, trying to accept your not a young lad any more and wondering what your supposed to do now, how to act now you are getting on to the next phase of life.
    As someone who's a new dad and about to hit the big 40 in a few weeks, I found myself relating to a lot of the lyrics (well what I imagine they are, I'll have to check the cd sleeve and see if I am right).

However I can't wait for the gig in 3 weeks and if you are there and see a newly middle-aged man jumping around near the front, probably clutching his dodgy back, that'll be me telling the summer to fu*k off, and reliving my teenage days bopping to Suede in the SFX, my twenty's in the Ambassador, thirties in the Olympia.

Suede are back on song, back in town and I'm effin' chuffed.
    Ha, I was at that SFX gig as well. I think I was in fifth year and I remember it being really really cold and it being one of Richard Oakes first gigs with the band. That was a real coming of age evening as I'm from Dundalk and it was such a huge adventure going up to stay overnight in the big smoke to see my favourite band.

There's a good track by track interview on you tube with three fifths of the band as well as producer Ed Buller and director of the accompanying Night Thoughts film Roger Sergeant. No Tomorrow was written about Brett's father who had depression.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCU3MootmU8&ab_channel=SuedeOfficial

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

There's a good track by track interview on you tube with three fifths of the band as well as producer Ed Buller and director of the accompanying Night Thoughts film Roger Sergeant. No Tomorrow was written about Brett's father who had depression.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCU3MootmU8&ab_channel=SuedeOfficial

that song is up there with their very best

Clip from last night's gig in Glasgow. Halfway through 'This Time' Scottish bloke shouts out 'Brett ya sexy bastard!' which gives Brett a fit of the giggles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WP4ktfu46jQ&ab_channel=bampop

Halftime here at the Manchester show - Brett in fine voice!

Great gothic venue too, great views wherever you stand :)

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Did I say wow? :D

Brett gave it 110% throughout the greatest hits set - they even played a song from as Brett put it, 'The Bad Album' :pac:

Good news for Suede fans. They're playing Galway this summer. Not sure if it's a general set or the Night Thoughts show. Maybe they'll do both again.
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/04/05/4117352-galway-international-arts-festival-shows-revealed/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Good news for Suede fans. They're playing Galway this summer. Not sure if it's a general set or the Night Thoughts show. Maybe they'll do both again.
    http://www.galwayindependent.com/news/topics/articles/2016/04/05/4117352-galway-international-arts-festival-shows-revealed/

From the Roisin Dubh website:

2015 saw Suede crowned ‘Godlike Genius’ at the NME Awards and they performed as the headline act on the John Peel Stage at Glastonbury. They have just released another ambitious record, the stunning ‘Night Thoughts’, which is accompanied by a feature film, directed by acclaimed photographer Roger Sargent. The film will provide the backdrop for the first half of their set at the Absolut Big Top this July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

I know I'm fantastically late to the party here, but I only just got around to listening to "Night Thoughts" in the last few days. I'd delayed so long because I'd simply stopped caring about Suede a long time ago. But, I have to admit, this is their best album since Dog Man Star. Absolutely brilliant. "Outsiders", "No Tomorrow" and "Like Kids" are outstanding.

So there, that's me dining on humble pie tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Robotito

It's a great album. Saw the show in the Olympia last year and it was fantastic

Advertisement