Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is whipping cream made when double cream is whisked?

Options
  • 25-09-2015 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Is whipping cream made when double cream is whisked?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Whipping cream is cream that has enough of a fat content to be whipped. In Ireland, fresh cream or double cream are fine, although I'd use fresh cream unless I needed a very thick whip.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wiki has a good page on this, I guess we would be similar to UK descriptions.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cream#UK

You could check the nutritional info on the packs to check the fat content. But when comparing items you have to watch out as most cream would be measured by volume, rather than weight. So ready whipped cream would have additional air added and would have a lower % of fat than the exact same unwhipped cream by volume.

I wish they had to list both weight & volume, some things like mayo vary from brand to brand and its difficult to determine which is the best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Markcheese

We tend to just get cream in Ireland -
    In the uk there's single cream -(a bit thin really ) - whipping cream ( enough butter fat to whip ) and double cream - high butter fat content -very thick -just pour it .
    "Standard " Irish cream would be between whipping and double - (not as thick as it used to be though :( )
    During the summer I was getting cream in glass bottles from a dairy farmer in Douglas market- I had to scoop it out of the bottle it was so thick - and it tasted of cream (not of nothing ) - but his cream seperator broke -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I remember reading somewhere that our dairy products are so good quality here in Ireland that usually you can get away with using single cream in a recipe that calls for double cream.

I've tested that theory in a few recipes now and cant say I've noticed the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,467 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Neyite wrote: »
    I remember reading somewhere that our dairy products are so good quality here in Ireland that usually you can get away with using single cream in a recipe that calls for double cream.
    AFAIK all milk and cream products, both here and in the UK, are made by first separating and then remixing the fat and liquid components of milk in predefined proportions.

In the UK there are legally defined (Cheese and Cream Regulations, 1995) fat contents of a minimum of 18% and 48% for single and double cream respectively, and 35% for whipping cream.

I don't know what the equivalent standards for cream is in Ireland, or indeed if there are any at all, and it's all left up to the manufacturers, but it's got little to do with quality.

• Advertisement
Advertisement