Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How will we end

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

well we could possibly do something about an asteroid. we have rockets nukes its just, will we have enough time, with a volcano there is no stopping a volcano.

I'm going with volcano!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,622 ✭✭✭Ruu

An incurable virus, the world (mankind) will end with a whimper not with a bang.

Goddamit release the cure or you'll kill us all!

I need it all for myself and my pet hamster *glug glug glug*

Nooooooooooo!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

I don't think we will in the medium term.

Even having someone ask such a question on a message board frequented, in the majority, by people living in one of the World's most prosperous and safe social democracies shows little more than a propensity for self-indulgence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Evolution. Nothing is permanent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

im gonna bet on the underdog we never end we go on and on on and on on......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

evo2000 wrote: »
    im gonna bet on the underdog we never end we go on and on on and on on......

Can't happen. The basis of time means everything wears away. Eventually the sun will burn out and life on earth will end. There's also a theory which is undisputed by the scientific community that eventually the universe will wear out and everything will heat up and be sucked into nothingness. A state where absolutely nothing exists not even darkness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Badly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Water, the lack of it.
    We are polluting our planet at a phenomenal rate and dumping pollutants and all sorts into the worlds seas and waterways. Eventually good Clean drinking water will become more and more difficult to obtain without serious chemical processing and without clean water we will be fooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Now

Hopefully

• Advertisement

Can't happen. The basis of time means everything wears away. Eventually the sun will burn out and life on earth will end. There's also a theory which is undisputed by the scientific community that eventually the universe will wear out and everything will heat up and be sucked into nothingness. A state where absolutely nothing exists not even darkness.

How do you know for sure?

what if when the last thing is wearing out theres another big bang and we survive ?

What if we find a way out of the universe before it dies!

I like how science makes out theres a set path and thats how things will go but until it actually happens no one can truly know what happens its all guess work!

I mean at the end of the day we re all floating on a giant blue and green ball made by a man in the sky that creates disasters to save us from randomly so nothings out of the realm of possiblity!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Water, the lack of it.
    We are polluting our planet at a phenomenal rate and dumping pollutants and all sorts into the worlds seas and waterways. Eventually good Clean drinking water will become more and more difficult to obtain without serious chemical processing and without clean water we will be fooked.

saw a documentary about that years ago called Waterworld

• Registered Users Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

When in doubt, Zombies, and with the glut of Zombie related movies and television shows, if you get bitten you should of known better!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Somebody out there will Google Google, setting off a chain reaction that will melt the internet, turning the planet into a firey mess of lava, turning all life into cinders.

Don't do it, people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 55 ✭✭You Mirin?

AI taking over is actually very possible if precautions weren't taken.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

You Mirin? wrote: »
    AI taking over is actually very possible if precautions weren't taken.

Aah no, I can't see AI taking over it's not as much fun as the usual way and there's be no stopping the human race if precautions weren't taken, overpopulation maybe.

If we ever stopped getting our end away that'd surely be the end of us but I can't set that happening, ever.

If we haven't colonised another planet in the next three billion years when the sun goes red giant we're doomed but I wouldn't lose much sleep over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

saw a documentary about that years ago called Waterworld

:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I think the theory is that it will get colder once all the stars and galaxies burn out. The big freeze I think its called.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

hurlsey wrote: »
    Meteorite, not so implausible it has happened in the past.

Not impausible in the slightest. Have you seen the moon? Thing is covered in craters. I'd view this as the most likely scenario.

I think you mean cool down, according to the second law of thermodynamics, where universal entropy will increase to its maximum possible extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

The Purge will become reality and we will eventually all die by 'drive by shooting'

• Advertisement

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Not impausible in the slightest. Have you seen the moon? Thing is covered in craters. I'd view this as the most likely scenario.

Do you know how old most of those are? Hardly any are from what we'd term the 'modern' solar system. Jupiter does a grand job of keeping most of those bodies in check. Not saying it can't or won't happen. Just that it's not nearly as probable as is supposed in the common imagination.

Still. It only needs to happen once....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

"Choose rotting away at the end of it all, pissing your last in a miserable home, nothing more than an embarrassment to the selfish, ****ed up brats you spawned to replace yourselves."

Mark Renton, 'Trainspotting'

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭outsidein98

Big rock from space, boom! All over. It has to happen eventually. The Earth will be knocked into an orbit further out and we'll all be gone in a month or two. Venus will take Earth's place and few millennia later. The Venusians will send a rocket to our devastated planet and wonder at the ruins of our civilisation that was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,157 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

Imagine actually witnessing something like this. Interesting how the twin towers are the only buildings left standing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Mr.Carter

LHC= black hole

Mr.Carter wrote: »
    LHC= black hole

LHC = Particle Accelerator.

Explain your scienceology please.

:)

going in ever decreasing circles!

How do you know for sure?

what if when the last thing is wearing out theres another big bang and we survive ?

What if we find a way out of the universe before it dies!

I like how science makes out theres a set path and thats how things will go but until it actually happens no one can truly know what happens its all guess work!

I mean at the end of the day we re all floating on a giant blue and green ball made by a man in the sky that creates disasters to save us from randomly so nothings out of the realm of possiblity!
    If another big bang happened we'd be long gone before it did and would happen after the nothingness I described. Fact is humanity will have its time on earth and there'll be an end. When that is no one knows but it will happen and who knows but it hasn't happens hundreds and thousands of times before to different intelligent life forms.

endacl wrote: »
    I think you mean cool down, according to the second law of thermodynamics, where universal entropy will increase to its maximum possible extent.

Earth would heat up first as the sun burns out and dies. We'd be long gone before ethics stage then the big freeze would kick in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Not with a bang, but a whimper.

• Advertisement

If another big bang happened we'd be long gone before it did and would happen after the nothingness I described. Fact is humanity will have its time on earth and there'll be an end. When that is no one knows but it will happen and who knows but it hasn't happens hundreds and thousands of times before to different intelligent life forms.

How do you know? can you prove thats exactly whats going to happen? its not really a fact and is just as much a guess as the next opinion is, scientists dont know whats going to happen no one can know for sure.

Its all guess work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

hurlsey wrote: »
    How will we end

Asystole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭colossus-x

Does anyone really care what happens the universe once your dead? Loved ones aside.

How do you know? can you prove thats exactly whats going to happen? its not really a fact and is just as much a guess as the next opinion is, scientists dont know whats going to happen no one can know for sure.

Its all guess work.

There was nothing before the last big bang. Put it this way if you put a rock in the middle of a field. Over time it will wear away until there's nothing left. We, my friend, are that rock.

There was nothing before the last big bang. Put it this way if you put a rock in the middle of a field. Over time it will wear away until there's nothing left. We, my friend, are that rock.

Assuming of course everything follows a logical pattern... but then again when you actually have a look at life logically it doesnt make any sense, so to say "Option A is exactly how the world will end for a fact" is abit of a stretch, again scientists for all there worth cant predict the future and they most certainly cant tell how everything will end it would be arrogant to even try when it cant be proved,

And the bold bit... how do you know? i mean what your saying there is... nothing exploded and created everything lol

The universe is random as **** and will prob end in a random as **** way if it ends at all...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Man Flu will wipe out half the population.

The rest will starve shortly afterwards because jars of food remain unopened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

Radical Islam and lack of resources/ food ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Technology.

Once we invent a AI we are dead. Imagine something which can learn at a rate faster than light.

allibastor wrote: »
    Technology.

Once we invent a AI we are dead. Imagine something which can learn at a rate faster than light.
    Only if it's a criminal and breaks the laws of physics.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭Mother Brain

Assuming of course everything follows a logical pattern... but then again when you actually have a look at life logically it doesnt make any sense, so to say "Option A is exactly how the world will end for a fact" is abit of a stretch, again scientists for all there worth cant predict the future and they most certainly cant tell how everything will end it would be arrogant to even try when it cant be proved,

And the bold bit... how do you know? i mean what your saying there is... nothing exploded and created everything lol

The universe is random as **** and will prob end in a random as **** way if it ends at all...

I guess you can't reeeally know for 100% sure through direct observation but you can make reasonable extrapolations from the known laws of physics to have a go.

Its like saying that if you hold a rock at arms length and drop it you can't really know that it's going to fall. And in some ways I guess you can't. Quantum mechanics makes things all a little bit uncertain..

As for nothing turning into something, this happens all the time! The electrons in every atom exist as a probabilistic field around the nucleus meaning that you can never be 100% certain where they are. They blink in and out of existence all the time. Literally they disappear and reappear somewhere else within the field surrounding the nucleus!

Some have put forward the theory that it's simply down to quantum fluctuations inherent in reality that started the universe in the first place. That basically there was some non zero probability that a universe would exist and at some point that proved out. It's all a bit murky and mind bending when you start thinking about life through the lenses of quantum theory.

It essentially shows that there is in fact some infitesimally small probability that when you drop the apple that it will just vanish or float away or something mad..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭johnny osbourne

a burning hot meatier is gone hit the earth

a burning hot meatier is gone hit the earth

Like a giant alien vindaloo or something? ;)

Like a giant alien vindaloo or something? ;)

how do you mean?

i was picturing a 6000 tonne ball of molten granite travelling at the speed of sound

how do you mean?

i was picturing a 6000 tonne ball of molten granite travelling at the speed of sound

Ah I was just messing with you because of the typo! Thought it was probably an autocorrect thing or whatever.

It's actually spelt meteor though. But no worries!

• Advertisement

Ah I was just messing with you because of the typo! Thought it was probably an autocorrect thing or whatever.

ok, well in that case i'm gonna upgrade it to a 700,000 tonne ball of molten limestone, travelling at the speed of light

ok, well in that case i'm gonna upgrade it to a 700,000 tonne ball of molten limestone, travelling at the speed of light

We're proper f**ked now so!

Sorry guys... ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭StonyIron

MeatEir (tm) The new name for a certain mobile network.

I suspect we'll probably struggle on though regardless.

Dinosaurs did grand & evolved into modern birds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Gravitation will stop working because we couldn't afford the fees and the earth will just sail off into deep cold space.

Fortunately this will be in 87 million and change years from now, so party hearty.

StonyIron wrote: »
    MeatEir (tm) The new name for a certain mobile network.

;)
    I suspect we'll probably struggle on though regardless.

Dinosaurs did grand & evolved into modern birds.

There would probably be a bunch of cowardly government types holed up in a bunker somewhere who would make it through alright.

Maybe they would evolve into the space reptiles of the future!

• Advertisement
Advertisement