Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Council housing?

• 25-09-2015 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

Hi. My myself and partner have 3 children and another in the way, we've been on the housing list 11 years and never offered a house. This Monday we're going to be homeless an all the council can say is call to us when you're homeless they will put me in one shelter an kids and partner in another shelter (40miles away)

Is there not some law that states kids have to be housed within such a distance from their school?

Does anyone else have this problem?

Their giving single women who have 1 child a 3 bedroom house but yet can't even get us one.

I can understand when people are in and out of jail all their lives been refused but when you've never been in jail before its ridiculous

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Why would you decide to have a new baby when you're on the brink of being made homeless?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭The Sidewards Man

Why would you decide to have a new baby when you're on the brink of being made homeless?

To get a house.

Where does personal responsibility feature in this day and age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Take some personal responsibility for your current situation,
    Rather than moaning about other people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Start going out with a single woman who only has 1 child?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

What has jail got to do with anything if you're out you've served your time & you have the same rights as anyone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Jump a fence in Hungary and hope you're one of the lucky 1500 that get housed here? Think of it as a lottery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Hi. My myself and partner have 3 children and another in the way, we've been on the housing list 11 years and never offered a house. This Monday we're going to be homeless an all the council can say is call to us when you're homeless they will put me in one shelter an kids and partner in another shelter (40miles away)

Is there not some law that states kids have to be housed within such a distance from their school?

Their giving single women who have 1 child a 3 bedroom house but yet can't even get us one.

I can understand when people are in and out of jail all their lives been refused but when you've never been in jail before its ridiculous

You've never been to jail!!!
    What an achievement, give that man a house!

They must have lost their time travel machine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

wrong forum buddy.... should have posted in accomodation forum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

This has to be a wind up folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

Because we have a house but our 12 month lease is up and the owner who now lives in England wants to sell the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,889 ✭✭✭✭The Moldy Gowl

Your pull out game must be weak if you are having a 4th child when about to be homeless.
    Seems counter intuitive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Stay in the house, it will take him months to get you out. Continue to pay your rent though.

Because we have a house but our 12 month lease is up and the owner who now lives in England wants to sell the house.
    Maybe if you didn't spend 500 Euro on hi fi systems and instead saved for a house you might not be in this situation.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056538034/1/#post76876915

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Why don't you rent another house? That's what the rest of us renters do. Simples.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

jobless wrote: »
    wrong forum buddy.... should have posted in accomodation forum

I'm pretty sure it's a legal issue :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Ellie2008

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    Why don't you rent another house? That's what the rest of us renters do. Simples.

This story doesn't add up maybe it cause I'm tired if you can afford private rental accommodation why would you be on the housing list?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

The government should be giving people like the OP free condoms not free houses.

Are you employed, OP?

JustTheOne wrote: »
    Maybe if you didn't spend 500 Euro on hi fi systems and instead saved for a house you might not be in this situation.

3 years ago in fairness.... peoples circumstances change

• Advertisement

Ellie2008 wrote: »
    This story doesn't add up maybe it cause I'm tired if you can afford private rental accommodation why would you be on the housing list?

I reckon rent allowance plays a big factor here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,628 ✭✭✭Señor Fancy Pants

Ah come on now. A post from 2012....was that really necessary?

One of the pettiest posts iv seen on this site.

Rent allowance, medical card, social welfare, free dentist visits, Christmas bonus.
    God I feel like such an eejit going to work

Ah come on now. A post from 2012....was that really necessary?

One of the pettiest posts iv seen on this site.

Yes it is.

On a housing list 11 years but can afford such luxuries.

I'm sorry but it has become a joke at this stage. If you can afford such things you shouldn't be on the housing list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Hi. My myself and partner have 3 children and another in the way, we've been on the housing list 11 years and never offered a house.

What's your employment status?

3 years ago in fairness.... peoples circumstances change

On housing list 11 years. Did you not read that?

if this isnt a wind up,...
    its not a competition to see who has the most kids to get a house..... im sorry but 12 months contract isnt stability and maybe you shouldn't have had the 4th kid if you're not working?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

On housing list 11 years. Did you not read that?

He hasn't been able to get his sh1t together in 11 years yet he's still having kids he can't afford?

That doesn't make sense.

Edit: apologies, mistook you for the op!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭vagazzled

Hi Op, it seems strange that you would have to go to one place, and your common law wife /partner and children go to another. They don't split up families.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

Yes it is.

I'm sorry but it has become a joke at this stage. If you can afford such things you shouldn't be on the housing list.

You can earn nearly 40k and qualify for housing lists in Dublin and Galway city. 27k qualifies ye for Roscommon Westmeath

Yes it is.

Maybe it was a once off. Maybe the OP saved up for 3 years. Maybe the OP was gifted the money specifically to buy that item. Maybe the OP was chipping in for it with another person....maybe the chance to own a stereo is more achieveable than owing a house....who knows.

Have you never treated yourself to something when you should have put the money to something else?

Sounds like the OP is having a hard enough time without getting lashed out of it by the guys here on giraffe sized horses.

Rent allowance, medical card, social welfare, free dentist visits, Christmas bonus.
    God I feel like such an eejit going to work

****en mugs we are.

Been laughed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,471 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

****en mugs we are.

Been laughed at.

Don't go to work then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

But if you've known your lease would be up for a while, have you not been looking to rent privately again? Why would you be a council housing list if your privately renting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You will all be put up in a hotel room or B&B.

Op nothing to worry about the tax payer will do it all for you.

I get nothing for working crazy hours only USC tax on tax on tax

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Go on the sunbeds for a few weeks and head to Munich.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Athlone_Bhoy

if this isnt a wind up,...
    its not a competition to see who has the most kids to get a house..... im sorry but 12 months contract isnt stability and maybe you shouldn't have had the 4th kid if you're not working?

We haven't had a 4th child, like I said we've one on the way!! My partner is on the housing list 11 years and never offered a house. My partner works so no we don't have medical cards or free dentist

Maybe it was a once off. Maybe the OP saved up for 3 years. Maybe the OP was gifted the money specifically to buy that item. Maybe the OP was chipping in for it with another person....maybe the chance to own a stereo is more achieveable than owing a house....who knows.

Have you never treated yourself to something when you should have put the money to something else?

Sounds like the OP is having a hard enough time without getting lashed out of it by the guys here on giraffe sized horses.

I just think it's funny that some people I talk to, with full time jobs and security will tell you they'll only have two kids because they can't afford to have anymore more, because they think about childcare costs, clothing, school and eventually college.
    People who haven't a pot to piss in seem to have child after child after child after child and then expect someone else to feed them, clothe them and put a roof over their heads.

It's ****ing ridiculous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

You decided to have a baby despite being on a 12 month lease?

Where's the sense in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Uncle Ben

But if you've known your lease would be up for a while, have you not been looking to rent privately again? Why would you be a council housing list if your privately renting?

There's plenty on housing lists who never want a council house but they need to be on the list to qualify for rent allowance. I've known people to turn down council homes because they can rent far bigger and better from the private sector with rent allowance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭petrolcan

We haven't had a 4th child, like I said we've one on the way!! My partner is on the housing list 11 years and never offered a house. My partner works so no we don't have medical cards or free dentist

Are you working?

I just think it's funny that some people I talk to, with full time jobs and security will tell you they'll only have two kids because they can't afford to have anymore more, because they think about childcare costs, clothing, school and eventually college.
    People who haven't a pot to piss in seem to have child after child after child after child and then expect someone else to feed them, clothe them and put a roof over their heads.

It's ****ing ridiculous

I agree. Sure there was aul one on TV last night who was on methadone after coming off heroin, she only had the 7 kids like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Hi OP, maybe Accommodation and Property or State Benefits would suit better for this.

Maybe try contact your CWO and see if they can help

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement