Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

oleras wrote: »
    Ordered online last night, even though i know i am not live.

€40pm for the first 6 and then €70 for the remaining 6.

150mb and anytime calls.

Im currently paying around €120 every 2 months for <5mb and evening calls, so its a cheaper package.

Let the games begin ! :pac:

So, I ordered around 4am on Friday the 11th, It would have been sitting in someones inbox at 8am, thats 1 working day. Then monday and today, 3 working days at a push but deffo 2.
    Your eir online order number EIRXXXXXXX.

Your order will be processed within 2 working days. Once your order is fully processed you will receive a welcome email which will include your installation appointment date and time if required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Latest up date from the Inch St. Lawernce Limerick exchange serving the villages of Caherconlish and Ballyneety. Fibre cables have been put up on the poles over 3 weeks ago.(see my post 22 July 17). But there is no splice boxes anywhere on my line from the exchange to beyond where I live at the end of the fibre Zone. Not up to date what's happening on the roads. Up in the Ballybricken road they seemed to install brackets for boxes on some poles. On another road in my area got a splice box installed last week. And I noticed some activity between the exchange and Ballyneety village where I see Fibre cables coming up from the ducts but not seeing splice boxes there yet. There was an OpenEir van involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

oleras wrote: »
    So, I ordered around 4am on Friday the 11th, It would have been sitting in someones inbox at 8am, thats 1 working day. Then monday and today, 3 working days at a push but deffo 2.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭JasonRyan

The OpenEir map has had another update, last updated 15/08/17 now displayed on it.
    I can see the my local area, Pallasgreen, Co. Limerick now shows the latest info.
    It didn't show the newest live area earlier today...

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

After Eir saying last week that the exchange would not be active until sometime in September - I come home to find the area flooded in KN vans. Shortly afterwards get a call for an install ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭oleras

garroff wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Finally managed to get a look at the update map, i am still down for "planned".

Patrickswell, Co.Limerick.

Isnt there something about being live for a month before a customer can order, to give the competition a chance to sell it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

So K&N were hanging fibre out my way yesterday....stopped 10 poles from my house. 10 fooking poles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭davebuck

dashoonage wrote: »
    So K&N were hanging fibre out my way yesterday....stopped 10 poles from my house. 10 fooking poles.

Same here about 6 poles after the fibre stops so annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

davebuck wrote: »
    Same here about 6 poles after the fibre stops so annoying.

id say about 3 years into NBP someone might have some fibre left over and run it up to me, There is no way its commercially viable for anyone to run the last 10 poles bar eircom. I counted yesterday and there are 10 houses on the span not covered. Given the people that live there about 3 may have use for broadband. Two of us are currently served by wireless. I've a 3mb up 2mb down.

Just updating from the Inch St Lawernce Limerick area. All roads out of Caherconlish except the main road towards Limerick. The road west of Ballyneety going towards Crecora has gone live as well as towards Limerick. Splice boxes are being installed in the Ballybricken area. Not too sure what's happening in the Boher area. But no splice boxes yet on my line coming out of the Exchange to Bohermore. It looks like we're the last road to be completed in this exchange area. We are still blue on the OpenEir rollout map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

I contact open eir about summerhill live date of the 6 September he said my area still down for October.I ask him will my address be able to connect to the Fibre since I'm within a Fibre area which I still can't fully understand but they never give me answer to that question which is frustrating.

dashoonage wrote: »
    id say about 3 years into NBP someone might have some fibre left over and run it up to me, There is no way its commercially viable for anyone to run the last 10 poles bar eircom. I counted yesterday and there are 10 houses on the span not covered. Given the people that live there about 3 may have use for broadband. Two of us are currently served by wireless. I've a 3mb up 2mb down.
    That not really true the government paying half of the NBP rollout the ISP Awarded the NBP pay the other half.While it be cheaper for Eir and more expensive for other Bidder (s) it upto the government to try get Eir to make it network cheaper to access same with siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just updating from the Inch St Lawernce Limerick area. All roads out of Caherconlish except the main road towards Limerick. The road west of Ballyneety going towards Crecora has gone live as well as towards Limerick. Splice boxes are being installed in the Ballybricken area. Not too sure what's happening in the Boher area. But no splice boxes yet on my line coming out of the Exchange to Bohermore. It looks like we're the last road to be completed in this exchange area. We are still blue on the OpenEir rollout map.
    If you're the last road you could be waiting a while then. Going at the current rate, the Pallasgreen exchange will take 8 months to complete fully (880 houses). The defusion crew appeared on my road this morning, so hopefully the openeir estimate I got of another 6 weeks for my road might be correct (I wouldn't bet on it though).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Blogin wrote: »
    If you're the last road you could be waiting a while then. Going at the current rate, the Pallasgreen exchange will take 8 months to complete fully (880 houses). The defusion crew appeared on my road this morning, so hopefully the openeir estimate I got of another 6 weeks for my road might be correct (I wouldn't bet on it though).

8+ months to do a single exchange area? really - surely that can't be right?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Biker Tommy

Finally got FTTH installed today (Pallasgreen) and have to admit its impresseive. I ordered the 150mb plan.

The modem is in the downstairs sitting room and the PC is upstairs. Over wireless on 5G I'm getting 143Mbps Down and 29Mbps UP at 12ms.
    ps. Very please with it so far :)

https://ibb.co/gNHCnF
    https://ibb.co/fJFbEv

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

turbbo wrote: »
    8+ months to do a single exchange area? really - surely that can't be right?:eek:

Unfortunately it is. At least it here they seem to do 20% at a time then disappear for a few weeks.

Unfortunately it is. At least it here they seem to do 20% at a time then disappear for a few weeks.
    I think when areas are pass with Fibre they do by stage by stage basic.I think athboy in co Meath was live in late 2016 and still is not finish but not to many house left doh so you could be waiting months before getting FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 190 ✭✭Ould Mr Brennan

On the Pallas exchange aswell and got an estimate earlier today of October or november

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

How would you guys interpret this map from the Department of Communications website?

My house has the marker on, and its highlighted in Amber, falling under the NBP.

But along the road, its highlighted in light blue, which indicated Eircoms rural rollout.

To complicate things further, the house is in the dark blue area, which means I should have received high speed bb by now.

So looks like Im tagged for all three possible means of supply of fibre?

• Advertisement

AidenL wrote: »
    How would you guys interpret this map from the Department of Communications website?

My house has the marker on, and its highlighted in Amber, falling under the NBP.

But along the road, its highlighted in light blue, which indicated Eircoms rural rollout.

To complicate things further, the house is in the dark blue area, which means I should have received high speed bb by now.

So looks like Im tagged for all three possible mens of supply of fibre?
    I guess it means you have three chances of getting high speed broadband:).

rob808 wrote: »
    I guess it means you have three chances of getting high speed broadband:).
    Lol, yes, but I wonder which one ! Id have my fingers crossed for Eirs rural rollout !

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Lol, yes, but I wonder which one ! Id have my fingers crossed for Eirs rural rollout !

If you're amber, you're NBP. The fact that there's an amber circle on your house despite being in a dark blue area means that you were originally considered to have high speed broadband available to you, but on further inspection you were found not to, so you've been included in the NBP intervention area.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    If you're amber, you're NBP. The fact that there's an amber circle on your house despite being in a dark blue area means that you were originally considered to have high speed broadband available to you, but on further inspection you were found not to, so you've been included in the NBP intervention area.
    I agree with that, but what do you think the light blue strip running alongside all the houses on my road could mean?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I agree with that, but what do you think the light blue strip running alongside all the houses on my road could mean?

Put your Eircode into "Check rural 300K" on www.fibrerollout.ie to see if your premises is included.

Put your Eircode into "Check rural 300K" on www.fibrerollout.ie to see if your premises is included.
    I did, no joy there.

• Advertisement

I did, no joy there.

You're unlikely to be covered then until the NBP. Your only hope is if they extend their run by a few premises like they did with frozenfrozen.

You're unlikely to be covered then until the NBP. Your only hope is if they extend their run by a few premises like they did with frozenfrozen.

Im never lucky !

I guess I was hoping they might connect my house on the way past to those further out of town on the Rural Rollout.

The house 20 meters away from me is on the RR plan. Bad luck on my part.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's the route of the fibre to the houses further out (the ones with light blue circles on them). Basically it's a fatter version of the yellow lines on the fibrerollout.ie map.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    It's the route of the fibre to the houses further out (the ones with light blue circles on them). Basically it's a fatter version of the yellow lines on the fibrerollout.ie map.

Isn't it really crazy though to go past houses with the FTTH run and to not connect them?

What is the logic?

Im never lucky !

I guess I was hoping they might connect my house on the way past to those further out of town on the Rural Rollout.

The house 20 meters away from me is on the RR plan. Bad luck on my part.

I just looked at the map there. Your situation does seem similar to frozenfrozen in that you are in an area that should be already covered by "high speed" broadband. Not to get your hopes up too much but I think there is at least some chance that you may be included. Keep an eye out for work in your area.

• Advertisement

I just looked at the map there. Your situation does seem similar to frozenfrozen in that you are in an area that should be already covered by "high speed" broadband. Not to get your hopes up too much but I think there is at least some chance that you may be included. Keep an eye out for work in your area.

I just read @frozenfrozen s posts, remarkably similar to my situation it seems.

Jpmarn wrote: »

Since I posted earlier today I noticed 3 splice boxes installed down my road towards Limerick but none yet up the road towards the exchange building. The first one was just at end of the Fibre zone approximately 650m away from house and just outside the gate of my last field of my farm. Ironically there will be no more fiber under OpenEir's 300k rollout programme for the remaining 3K of my road towards Limerick the majority being served by the Castletroy exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Question please, is there any loss of quality or risks associated with the distance you have the broadband coming into the house to the router. i.e If my broadband is travelling 30 feet through attic and down to a room in the centre of house vs coming into the nearest possible room to the pole

Pangea wrote: »
    Question please, is there any loss of quality or risks associated with the distance you have the broadband coming into the house to the router. i.e If my broadband is travelling 30 feet through attic and down to a room in the centre of house vs coming into the nearest possible room to the pole
    If you mean the fibre uplink then no,

Don't forget that the fibre outside the house has already travelled maybe a kilometre or two to reach you.

If you're talking about 30 ft from the modem to your device PC/wifi or whatever, assuming you're using decent cable there will be no issues with those distances.
    Ethernet is designed to operate up to 100 metres from the network device.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I didn't get a copper line in at all and they gave me a voip phone number instead. It's an 076 region code though so maybe you can't move your existing phone numbers into voip yet.
    That would have been nice alright. But I lost my number nearly 4 years ago so I had to get a new one. Eir said they couldn't offer a Galway number only the 076 region one. People will get used to it over time I hope!
    You should be aware that 076 numbers are not allowed in most call packages, thus they can cost the caller quite a bit.

There are other providers which can supply you with a geographical number if eir claim they cannot.
    I was not aware that 076 wasnt treated like all the other national area codes. I thought it was just an inconvenience because it meant a longer number :mad:
    I'll have to ring eir again and demand a new number or maybe buy a number from someone else and port it to eir.

Looks like the use of "076" non-geographic numbers is to end according to a new consultation from Comreg. They propose to phase out three of the NGN numbers and just retain 1800 and 0818. The other proposal is for four classes of NGN (excl. 1800 Freephone) to have the same tariff as geographic numbers.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication/comreg-consults-non-geographic-numbers/
    https://www.comreg.ie/publication/review-non-geographic-numbers/
    ComReg proposes to withdraw the ‘1850’, ‘1890’ and ‘076’ NGNs and migrate the current users of those NGNs to an alternative number of their choosing i.e. to an alternative NGN, landline or mobile number. The proposed withdrawal of these three NGNs would follow a 2 – 3 year transitional period.
    ‘076’ –was introduced by ComReg in 2004 to facilitate Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) services for individual end-users. Because VoIP services are nomadic by nature, such that the call termination point may be located anywhere, ComReg decided a new class of number was required for VoIP services, as the conditions of use that attached to GNs limited their usefulness for certain VoIP services. In recent years, certain SPs began using ‘076’ NGNs to provide services to consumers. The range is also used by certain organisations for their IP-based Unified Communications. ‘076’ NGNs are also internationally accessible and may be dialled outside Ireland.

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/comreg-calls-time-on-1850-and-1890-number-36039552.html
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/consumer/new-plans-spell-end-of-the-line-for-lo-call-phone-numbers-1.3188980

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

So this morning two KN vans pulled up at the pole outside my front wall, frantically talking on the phone, so I went out to chat to them. Turns out they had an appointment to install FTTH to my neighbour across the road, which was a surprise to me because my own appointment last week had been cancelled due to my "distrbution point not being active".

In trying to chase it up with Eir this week, I was told it was due be activated next Monday and I'd have to wait until then to arrange a new install date. When I put this the KN engineer, he pointed up at the splice box and said it was definitely now live - it seems "distribution point" is what Eir are calling the boxes.

So I just called Eir to see if I could make an appointment now and they confirmed that my distribution point status was updated this morning at 9am, which seems suspiciously close to when the KN engineers had just turned up! :rolleyes:

So anyway, I've been given a new install date for next Wednesday - fingers crossed! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Forgot to say that the KN engineer went on to tell me they couldn't install my neighbour anyway because he was across the road, which is too busy for them to just run a line over and is therefore beyond their remit.

When I said it was lucky for me I have conduit already running straight from that pole underground and popping up in my hallway, he warned me that it's not guaranteed they can use that if it runs into a narrow pipe in the hallway. He said they've been giving up on around half of their installs due to the conduit at the far end being too narrow for the rods they're using to push the cable through :eek:

That surprised me - I know a lot of installs are failing for all sorts of silly time-wasting reasons, but has anyone heard of that one?
    I'd have thought using the existing copper line to pull the fibre through should be fine? I'm hoping he didn't realise that in my case and that I won't in fact need the rods method. I might take off my current box later and double check the conduit width though - what's the acceptable diameter again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

They should produce a document fit for public consumption outlining exactly all the things that should be in place to allow them to go through with the install and how to make it go more smoothly from the customers point of view. Diameter of conduit etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Gwynston wrote: »
    Forgot to say that the KN engineer went on to tell me they couldn't install my neighbour anyway because he was across the road, which is too busy for them to just run a line over and is therefore beyond their remit.

When I said it was lucky for me I have conduit already running straight from that pole underground and popping up in my hallway, he warned me that it's not guaranteed they can use that if it runs into a narrow pipe in the hallway. He said they've been giving up on around half of their installs due to the conduit at the far end being too narrow for the rods they're using to push the cable through :eek:

That surprised me - I know a lot of installs are failing for all sorts of silly time-wasting reasons, but has anyone heard of that one?
    I'd have thought using the existing copper line to pull the fibre through should be fine? I'm hoping he didn't realise that in my case and that I won't in fact need the rods method. I might take off my current box later and double check the conduit width though - what's the acceptable diameter again?

The rods used on my install were 9mm diameter and it was going through a 37mm duct. They did remove the eye at the top of the rod as it was a lot wider and would not go through the first turn in the pipe.
    I was lucky though - i had two of the soundest KN guys you could meet and they managed to push it through 106M of duct - nothing seemed to be a problem for them - real can do attitude

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

A Customer Interface Booklet is required. This should say the size and type of pipe required. Max length of pipe. Acceptable angles etc. It should also state terminating location of Openeir apparatus.
    An email address to answer question and clarify issues would also be helpful.

I'm not holding my breadth.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Expecting Kn any time today for installation, is the centre of the house really the best place for the router? Currently I have router in the centre room but I put the router to room at the side last night for the Craic to see how signal would be, and it was pretty good everywhere still. I'm asking because the room in question would be an easier install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

garroff wrote: »
    A Customer Interface Booklet is required. This should say the size and type of pipe required. Max length of pipe. Acceptable angles etc. It should also state terminating location of Openeir apparatus.
    An email address to answer question and clarify issues would also be helpful.

I'm not holding my breadth.
    Exactly, and other details like when ducting is required, eg. when existing copper line is attached to a chimney etc. All of this is understandable when it's pointed out, but is far from self evident. Surely, it's in everyone's interests for people to have as much of this done as possible in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Going to order now. KN guy at pole said he's just finished my dp so let the games begin :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Going to order now. KN guy at pole said he's just finished my dp so let the games begin :)

doesn't mean it will go live soon... I had to wait 4 months after my dp was finished before my order was taken and area went live. Best way to find out how soon will be to ask the Eir reps here on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I placed my order, not with Eir mind you. So just waiting on an email now. Eir told me it was live two weeks ago but I wanted to wait until my dp was in.

Gonzo wrote: »
    doesn't mean it will go live soon... I had to wait 4 months after my dp was finished before my order was taken and area went live. Best way to find out how soon will be to ask the Eir reps here on boards.

Hi Gonzo, if an exchange is marked as live now, how come my eircode is showing winter 2018? Is the "exchange live" wrong or the eircode checker? BTW I didn't see any activity in my area which makes me think the exchange being live is nonsense. It also says 150 premises passed - when there was only 58 in the plans earlier?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,465 ✭✭✭JohnC.

They should produce a document fit for public consumption outlining exactly all the things that should be in place to allow them to go through with the install and how to make it go more smoothly from the customers point of view. Diameter of conduit etc..

I wonder if a quick initial visit to determine the install would be a help too? Mine would be coming from a pole into the house. But I have no idea where they would want it to come into the house (if they're no longer doing attics) and therefore no idea what room it would go into or where I'm going to need a power socket.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hi Gonzo, if an exchange is marked as live now, how come my eircode is showing winter 2018? Is the "exchange live" wrong or the eircode checker? BTW I didn't see any activity in my area which makes me think the exchange being live is nonsense. It also says 150 premises passed - when there was only 58 in the plans earlier?

it could all be a mistake if there has been no work carried out in any part of your exchange. Your best bet is to talk to an Eir rep no point ordering something that doesnt exist in your area yet or you could get charged (has happened to a few people here recently.).

If there really is a small section of your exchange live, it can take anything up to several months for Eir to finish the rollout in an exchange area. It's best to wait till you know that your section of road is live. The fibre checker can sometimes pass you up to several weeks before product is made available in your area.

Gonzo wrote: »
    it could all be a mistake if there has been no work carried out in any part of your exchange. Your best bet is to talk to an Eir rep no point ordering something that doesnt exist in your area yet or you could get charged (has happened to a few people here recently.).

If there really is a small section of your exchange live, it can take anything up to several months for Eir to finish the rollout in an exchange area. It's best to wait till you know that your section of road is live. The fibre checker can sometimes pass you up to several weeks before product is made available in your area.

Don't worry I've no intention of ordering anything!

I've contacted Eir and they haven't answered me - here's the spiel of sh1te I get:

"I completely understand you are eager to get fibre broadband. However the upgrade on our network at your home is not due to happen before December 2018 – that is from our own internal schedule that I consulted in order to bring clarity to you. I'm afraid I'm not in a position to explain the technical design rationale that governs that timeline, or why some areas in close proximity go live before others. I appreciate it’s disappointing but I hope you now have some clarity on the timeline."

At no point did I say I was eager to get fibre - I'm not sure what gave them that impression - i did have to push them to get a response maybe that's why they thought I was eager. I love the specificity of December 2018. This is coming from a company that doesn't know what it's plans are next week.

They failed to answer the question I asked - "is the 150 on the map a mistake and if not can you tell where those 150 are located?" I know the area very well as I live and work there so telling me they have 150 premises passed when there has been zero activity seems to smell of BS.

Annoyed that they couldn't just say it's an error and the map will be updated with the correct data. There is something weird going on with this one - I will keep ye posted if I get an actual response from Eir that makes any sense.
    I will keep pushing for one, fobbing me off with generic responses.

• Advertisement

Don't worry I've no intention of ordering anything!

I've contacted Eir and they haven't answered me - here's the spiel of sh1te I get:

"I completely understand you are eager to get fibre broadband. However the upgrade on our network at your home is not due to happen before December 2018 – that is from our own internal schedule that I consulted in order to bring clarity to you. I'm afraid I'm not in a position to explain the technical design rationale that governs that timeline, or why some areas in close proximity go live before others. I appreciate it’s disappointing but I hope you now have some clarity on the timeline."

At no point did I say I was eager to get fibre - I'm not sure what gave them that impression - i did have to push them to get a response maybe that's why they thought I was eager. I love the specificity of December 2018. This is coming from a company that doesn't know what it's plans are next week.

They failed to answer the question I asked - "is the 150 on the map a mistake and if not can you tell where those 150 are located?" I know the area very well as I live and work there so telling me they have 150 premises passed when there has been zero activity seems to smell of BS.

Annoyed that they couldn't just say it's an error and the map will be updated with the correct data. There is something weird going on with this one - I will keep ye posted if I get an actual response from Eir that makes any sense.
    I will keep pushing for one, fobbing me off with generic responses.
    There not much you can do since this is a commercial rollout annoying as it is your going to have wait and see what happens what your house on the rollout map blue or green.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement