Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

rob808 wrote: »
    There not much you can do since this is a commercial rollout annoying as it is your going to have wait and see what happens what your house on the rollout map blue or green.

Eh? What are you on about? Re-read my posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

turbbo wrote: »
    Eh? What are you on about? Re-read my posts.
    oh ok so it blue then it is a error then most likely fixed in the next update.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 rgfinn

Hey guys, great thread. Going to place my order next week, just doing some installation research. Excuse my lack of jargon. Looking at Decota's post (post number 4461, sorry i can't link or add photos yet)..

It looks like the fibre comes to a small white box, which then sends the signal via Ethernet to a powered white box, which then sends it to the F2000 modem?

I have fibre to the cabinet. My existing copper line goes to an access box on the outside of the house, from there it uses some wires from a Cat5e cable into my little comms cabinet where my F2000 is.

I guess they'll run the fibre to the access box on the outside of the house, where they'll put the first little (unpowered) white box. From there I guess they'll use existing the Cat5e cable to get to my comms cabinet where the powered white box would go. Does that sound correct? I hoped not to change to VOIP for the phone, so do you know if they need my full Cat5e cable to the comms room, or just some wires from it? Hopefully the latter so that i can keep my current phone setup.

Many thanks for any advice.
    Rob

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Hey Guys, the KN man just left here, Just installed it, Il explain all later, just doing speed tests and its at 93 plugged in from PC to modem, Im on the 150 package.
    I was wondering is my adapter on my PC incapable of going past 100? I see it says 100mbs when I click on it.
    Its a Realtek PCie gbe family controller

http://imgur.com/SKm05GL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Pangea wrote: »
    Hey Guys, the KN man just left here, Just installed it, Il explain all later, just doing speed tests and its at 93 plugged in from PC to modem, Im on the 150 package.
    I was wondering is my adapter on my PC incapable of going past 100? I see it says 100mbs when I click on it.
    Its a Realtek PCie gbe family controller

http://imgur.com/SKm05GL

Yep ..... hardware limitation of NIC.
    I am surprised you are getting 93 .... would expect nearer 80 in real life situation.

• Advertisement

Just tried a newer cable I had, and it showed up as a new network on my PC, with 1GBs speed .
    Just done speed test and Im delighted!!!

I have gone from this
    Kf3jFz4.png

to this
    6550715582.png

Just tried a newer cable I had, and it showed up as a new network on my PC, with 1GBs speed .
    Just done speed test and Im delighted!!!

So it was the cable that caused it.
    Nicely done.

Nice speeds ...... hugely jealous! :P

Well, what a day. The installer came and I mentioned that I would like to have it in the middle room and to bring it in through the attic. He said up until a few days ago they weren't allowed to install through the attic but the rules have just changed! My lucky day. I also happened to know the guy aswell which didnt hurt.
    He brought it over from the pole to the gable, bored a hole and I went up in the attic and fed it through.
    After all was fed down he done some tests to test the signal, he said anything under 18 to 12 is good. I'm not sure what measurement they use. As long as the reading is near enough to the DP outsides reading.
    Horrible working conditions here today to be up on a pole. It took him over four hours altogether, there was a lot of work involved.
    Its a great relief to have it done now and I will look forward to trying it out over the weekend.

Some Pics attached
    20961149_10157164911367228_1277322327_o.jpg 20991596_10157164910067228_1249505062_o.jpg 20951824_10157164908977228_1068460154_o.jpg 20967857_10157164914362228_1713486901_o.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Good news about the attics. Enjoy the connection.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

After all was fed down he done some tests to test the signal, he said anything under 18 to 12 is good. I'm not sure what measurement they use.

Signal loss, I'm guessing - measured in dB. I would have thought that -15dB is the best you could hope to see on a PON network, but -18dB would be acceptable. And yes, there should be no significant loss between the DP and the ONT.

• Advertisement

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Signal loss, I'm guessing - measured in dB. I would have thought that -15dB is the best you could hope to see on a PON network, but -18dB would be acceptable. And yes, there should be no significant loss between the DP and the ONT.

Tks, It was 13 at the DP and it was 14 when he finished with the ONT inside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

rgfinn wrote: »
    It looks like the fibre comes to a small white box, which then sends the signal via Ethernet to a powered white box, which then sends it to the F2000 modem?

I guess they'll run the fibre to the access box on the outside of the house, where they'll put the first little (unpowered) white box. From there I guess they'll use existing the Cat5e cable to get to my comms cabinet where the powered white box would go. Does that sound correct?

Recent post I made on this - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104389082#post104389082. With one change, from a post below yours, they're now allowing attic installs again it appears.

Basically they won't be using your existing copper line or Ethernet cable to the comms cabinet. Fibre all the way from the pole, via the ETU (outside access box), from there to the ODP - then to the ONT beside it (both located at a point in the house), the supplied router is then connected to the ONT via Ethernet cable.

n2yixd.jpg

ONT (Optical Network Terminal)
    ODP (Optical Distribution Point)

attachment.jpg

rgfinn wrote: »
    I hoped not to change to VOIP for the phone, so do you know if they need my full Cat5e cable to the comms room, or just some wires from it? Hopefully the latter so that i can keep my current phone setup.

I believe there's no requirement to change over to VOIP, or VOBB (voice over broadband) as eir are now calling their service. The existing copper line to the master phone socket should remain untouched.

The Cush wrote: »
    For the last week or so lads from Networx Cable And Civils (wearing KN hi-viz vests :D) running ducting from the exchange to the poles at the start of the rural fibre routes.

Further update from my area (Murroe Limerick), just over a week ago they started rolling out fibre on the poles, one route completed, working on a second route this past week. For the past two days a crew has been installing the splice boxes on the first route. Scheduled live date is Autumn 2017.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Re Hivis they've probably been bought out like the majority of small contractors. KNIS/KNN is turning into a bit or a behemoth.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Bet you some installers will accept attic installs and others will refuse. Wait for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I've noticed their has been some things written on the Eir manholes in my estate in a non NBP area. It's an estate that is about a year old but has no copper cables in it yet. They have written WP9, WP7 and AGG on 3 different manhole covers which are all close to each other. Does anyone know what this refers to?

The router I got is Dual band both 2.4GHZ and 5 GHZ. Which is best to use? Both options show up on my phone. I have been using 2.4 since last night and it runs smoothly, getting 47mbps downland speeds on wifi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Would it be a deviation of this thread if those who are lucky enough to have FTTx would give their location and an indication of the price of the contract they have?

I notice that for places where the cable has been strung, such as Baltimore in West Cork, the date of actual connection is now out to Spring '18. At this rate I wonder will the national broadband plan ever be implemented?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

BarryM wrote: »
    Would it be a deviation of this thread if those who are lucky enough to have FTTx would give their location and an indication of the price of the contract they have?

I notice that for places where the cable has been strung, such as Baltimore in West Cork, the date of actual connection is now out to Spring '18. At this rate I wonder will the national broadband plan ever be implemented?

The 300k isn't due to be finished until eoy 2018 and that is massively ambitious. Don't expect NBP till at least 2020 I reckon.

digiman wrote: »
    I've noticed their has been some things written on the Eir manholes in my estate in a non NBP area. It's an estate that is about a year old but has no copper cables in it yet. They have written WP9, WP7 and AGG on 3 different manhole covers which are all close to each other. Does anyone know what this refers to?

Mentioned here before "WP" refers to Work Point. I see the marking on poles around our area recently for FTTH rollout, a splice box location I assume. "Agg" would normally be an abbreviation for aggregation, so maybe an aggregation point where a main copper/fibre cable splits off to different ducts/splitters/junction boxes?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

The router I got is Dual band both 2.4GHZ and 5 GHZ. Which is best to use? Both options show up on my phone. I have been using 2.4 since last night and it runs smoothly, getting 47mbps downland speeds on wifi.

rough rule of thumb is higher frequencies carry more info but not as far.

The choice is always there to swap between them to go for 5ghz on everything you can and drop down to 2.4 if you notice poor signal through walls etc.

but being in the same room 5ghz every day of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Skyte

Long time lurker finally have something to add.

My area was announced as part of the rural 300k. Start of this month, eir rep arrives saying FTTH is available and she is taking orders. Says its going live on the 9th so I book an appointment for the 11th. Comes round, no engineer, I phone up and they say it was a booking error so I get them to confirm next week the 18th and they guarantee.

Engineer arrives and says he cant use the underground duct as its too small to fit a rod up. I prepared for this and said to do an overhead install to one of my rooms. I'll add some pictures of the installation.

http://imgur.com/DboIPff
    The van is where my splicebox is and he had to run the cable from the box down two poles and over to my house.

http://imgur.com/cUek8dG
    Splicebox

http://imgur.com/v9slKh3
    http://imgur.com/I2RBNCy

http://imgur.com/oi8puof
    Gable end
    http://imgur.com/9TVpw8b
    Cable running down my gable end
    http://imgur.com/Xs1BE4N
    Insertion point

http://imgur.com/lP1jxea

http://imgur.com/EVDOVMa
    I went with the 150Mbps option.

Took about 2 hours for the install, engineer did I tidy job.

I saw a similar guy mention it earlier but when I initially did the speed test on ethernet I was only getting around 95Mbps, but on WiFi I was getting 150Mbps which I could not explain. I switched out the ethernet cable and im now pulling the full 150Mbps.

Skyte wrote: »
    I saw a similar guy mention it earlier but when I initially did the speed test on ethernet I was only getting around 95Mbps, but on WiFi I was getting 150Mbps which I could not explain. I switched out the ethernet cable and im now pulling the full 150Mbps.

Do you know what was wrong with the cable?

rough rule of thumb is higher frequencies carry more info but not as far.

The choice is always there to swap between them to go for 5ghz on everything you can and drop down to 2.4 if you notice poor signal through walls etc.

but being in the same room 5ghz every day of the week

Thanks I tried the 5GHZ on my phone and now I'm getting 144mbs, 100 more than on 2.4 :)
    Do you know what was wrong with the cable?

In my case I realised the cable was a cat5 which is only capable of 100.

Yeah the first cable was old enough and probably was cat5, the one I swapped it out with was newer off amazon and most likely cat6

cat 5 can handle gigabit so it was probably a bad cable

You'll be amazed at just how many people abuse those cables and still expect them to perform, sharp bends, for example, really destroy their high frequency characteristics and can stop then operating at even 100Mbs. I recently found a patch lead jammed into some steel trunking in line with a 3 phase feed to a motor, just moving the cable a few centimetres to the side was all it needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Splice boxes are being installed on the poles outside my house in the Inch St. Lawernce Limerick area. Not all splice boxes are the same as some of them serve as Junctions and booster boxes. I would have to appreciate the tedious work involved in the installation. It can take them more than hour in some cases to install a single box. They are over 90 minutes installing a booster box just down from house. But at least they took a tea break in that time. It could be next month before our line is live. It has to be passed by a supervisor whenever he comes around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I have a question, please, if somebody could help.
    I've no landline or any other broadband at the moment. Fiber has become available in our area recently (saw engineers installing black boxes on the poles along the road and one of the neighbours connected to fiber 2 days ago).

If I want to connect too, do I have to go with Eir since it's brand new connection or can I go to other companies like Vodafone or Digiweb and they will organise it themselves?

Thanks

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Not all splice boxes are the same as some of them serve as Junctions and booster boxes.
    It is said GPON can go 20km from OLT to ONT without boosting/amplification. Will any fibre run from exchange to home be this distance in this country? If so, why are they installing boosters?

glen123 wrote: »
    If I want to connect too, do I have to go with Eir since it's brand new connection or can I go to other companies like Vodafone or Digiweb and they will organise it themselves?

You can order through any of these FTTH resellers with a house icon against their name - http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Vodafone doesn't resell open-eir FTTH.

http://fibrerollout.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

Some cheap Cat 5e cabels that you can buy only have 2 twisted pairs (4 wires) and can only do 100 Mbits/s with that, you need all 4 pair's for it to be able to do 1000 Mbits/s

Cat 5 cant handle over 100, but Cat 5E can

The Cush wrote: »
    It is said GPON can go 20km from OLT to ONT without boosting/amplification. Will any fibre run from exchange to home be this distance in this country? If so, why are they installing boosters?

I suspect that poster is working on 2nd or 3rd hand info. There are no boosters as you know. Exch Areas are at most 12km and usually sub 8km, there's no cause or evidence of booster. Also using the term junction is inappropriate for PON.

• Advertisement

Cat 5 cant handle over 100, but Cat 5E can

Worth adding that some CAT5 produced pre the 5E standard was put into RFC would be capable. This only applies to nerds that hoard cabling though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

I was visiting relatives and out for a walk in the area which is currently being cabled. Interestingly last week the end pole was marked with LE. This corresponded with the fibrerollout map. However they came back this week and sprayed over the E on LE. The run has now been extended by four poles to end at a home that is not on the rollout map and is currently in an amber area on the NBP map. What prompted them to extend the run I don't know but maybe it will give some hope to those close to the end of a planned line.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JPW_1993

We are on the 300Mbps package.

What speeds should we be getting on Wifi?

Nothing seems to break 80Mbps over Wifi even in the same room as the router where a PC and Smart TV are located.

On wire, yes we are getting in upwards of 285Mbps.

Not going to lie but the Wifi capabilities of the F2000 router eir have provided us is quite crap. Some rooms barely connect to it due to lack of signal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JPW_1993 wrote: »

Nothing seems to break 80Mbps over Wifi even in the same room as the router where a PC and Smart TV are located.

Not going to lie but the Wifi capabilities of the F2000 router eir have provided us is quite crap. Some rooms barely connect to it due to lack of signal.

it depends on what the wireless hardware is like on the device your using.

e.g. on my P9 Lite phone I get between 30 and 70 megs depending on distance from router.

on my pc, if I plug out the eternet cable, I only get 25/25 wirelessly.

bought a new MSI laptop last week and it gets anything up to 250 megs over wifi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Gonzo wrote: »
    it depends on what the wireless hardware is like on the device your using.

e.g. on my P9 Lite phone I get between 30 and 70 megs depending on distance from router.

on my pc, if I plug out the eternet cable, I only get 25/25 wirelessly.

bought a new MSI laptop last week and it gets anything up to 250 megs over wifi.

You need to be connected to the 5G wifi to get the full whack on wifi
    Tested it beside the Eir router on an iPhone 6s in a ftth house and was getting the same speed as wired
    On the 2.5 wifi (and as you know but most don't old devices only see the 2.5) it's much much slower

• Advertisement

I posted above Im getting 143 on my smartphone on 5GHZ, are you connected on the 5GHZ or 2.4?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my phone and desktop computer/old laptop are 4g.

new laptop is 5g, almost as fast as wired Ethernet.

Skyte wrote: »
    Engineer arrives and says he cant use the underground duct as its too small to fit a rod up. I prepared for this and said to do an overhead install to one of my rooms. I'll add some pictures of the installation.

http://imgur.com/lP1jxea

Congratulations, your speedtest is nearly identical to mine.
    The exact thing happened me, I was told the UG was too small and it took 3 months to get it sorted but finally got installed yesterday.

Regarding that picture of the ONT, the one with the three lights, will the LOS one light up at some stage? My installer mentioned it a light would come on it but no sign yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

For those of you who have got FTTH installed, what is the max speeds you are getting on 2.4ghz?

Amadan90 wrote: »
    For those of you who have got FTTH installed, what is the max speeds you are getting on 2.4ghz?

I got 48 Download 28 Upload
    Thanks I tried the 5GHZ on my phone and now I'm getting 144mbs, 100 more than on 2.4 :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Regarding that picture of the ONT, the one with the three lights, will the LOS one light up at some stage? My installer mentioned it a light would come on it but no sign yet.

Isn't that the "loss of signal" light? I don't think you want that one on.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Isn't that the "loss of signal" light? I don't think you want that one on.

Oh, I must have misunderstood him then.

yeah you definitely do not want the LOS light on, mine turned on a blinking red light when the FTTH connection got torn by oak trees end of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 JPW_1993

Seeing as Eir/KN have changed their policy about attic installs (probably due to the low uptake and "failed" installs) would it be worth contacting and asking them to redirect the fibre cable into the attic and feed the wire alongside the copper line to the telephone socket, an area in our hallway where our original routers also used to be?

Because of the older policy the router was positioned somewhere else and I don't like where it is to be honest. The area in the hall is more central.

Seeing as Eir/KN have changed their policy about attic installs (probably due to the low uptake and "failed" installs) would it be worth contacting and asking them to redirect the fibre cable into the attic and feed the wire alongside the copper line to the telephone socket, an area in our hallway where our original routers also used to be?

Because of the older policy the router was positioned somewhere else and I don't like where it is to be honest.

I cannot see that happening, your install is done

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement