Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

JPW_1993 wrote: »
    Seeing as Eir/KN have changed their policy about attic installs (probably due to the low uptake and "failed" installs) would it be worth contacting and asking them to redirect the fibre cable into the attic and feed the wire alongside the copper line to the telephone socket, an area in our hallway where our original routers also used to be?

Because of the older policy the router was positioned somewhere else and I don't like where it is to be honest. The area in the hall is more central.

Call your provider, ask for a DPE order, they'll run CAT5E the rest of the way from the ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tkmullingar

Got it installed a week ago, great to be up and running. Was on the open eir website as late 2017 , so well done eir.
    I ordered the service over the phone in the middle of July (all ready a eir home phone and mobile customer) on line and door to sales rep of €80pm going up to €100 after promotion with 150 speed. Got a email with wrong price on it , then the fun began numerous calls to customer service & web chats , nothing could be done , the best they do is wait till it's installed and then cancel and reorder as the system does not allow changes or to cancel until service is installed. In the end I contacted eir via boards and fair play to the Rep she was able to fix the account. Thanks
    First install date could not go ahead due to dp not switched on yet. On the second date the installer from kn did not make much of a effort to get the finer thought the duct ( too small at house end) but to say that he did a very tidy job bringing it overhead and into whee I wanted in the house .
    To sum up thanks eir for investing in the fiber network .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

tkmullingar,

It is nice to read a positive post despite the problems encountered. ;)

Enjoy! ...... and my jealousy grows daily :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Got it installed a week ago, great to be up and running. Was on the open eir website as late 2017 , so well done eir.
    I ordered the service over the phone in the middle of July (all ready a eir home phone and mobile customer) on line and door to sales rep of €80pm going up to €100 after promotion with 150 speed. Got a email with wrong price on it , then the fun began numerous calls to customer service & web chats , nothing could be done , the best they do is wait till it's installed and then cancel and reorder as the system does not allow changes or to cancel until service is installed. In the end I contacted eir via boards and fair play to the Rep she was able to fix the account. Thanks
    First install date could not go ahead due to dp not switched on yet. On the second date the installer from kn did not make much of a effort to get the finer thought the duct ( too small at house end) but to say that he did a very tidy job bringing it overhead and into whee I wanted in the house .
    To sum up thanks eir for investing in the fiber network .

The more that sign up for FTTH the better, it's such a huge leap forward, even bigger than the leap we experienced moving from 56k to 512k ADSL back in the day. If it wasn't for Eir's investment in the network I'd be starring at 8 meg ADSL for another 3 to 10 years or trying my luck with a barely in range wireless signal from Imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Gonzo wrote: »
    The more that sign up for FTTH the better, it's such a huge leap forward, even bigger than the leap we experienced moving from 56k to 512k ADSL back in the day. If it wasn't for Eir's investment in the network I'd be starring at 8 meg ADSL for another 3 to 10 years or trying my luck with a barely in range wireless signal from Imagine.
    My area going live sometime in October according to open eir hoping I can connect to it.Im trying to download a 40Gb game another 14 hours to go :(.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    My area going live sometime in October according to open eir hoping I can connect to it.Im trying to download a 40Gb game another 14 hours to go :(.

hopefully you'll have it in October. You won't be able to sleep the night before the install. Your ADSL may be slow but at least your able to download the game without worrying about daily caps and splitting the game download over multiple days to avoid the Imagine throttle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Question, Now that I have fibre is there any need for dsl splitters/filters on all the phone connections?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pangea wrote: »
    Question, Now that I have fibre is there any need for dsl splitters on all the phone connections?

None whatsoever.

[FTTH not eFibre]

The speed is unreal, I clicked download for a 3GB film last night went to kitchen for a couple of minutes and when I came back it was downloaded. State of the art.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Regarding that picture of the ONT, the one with the three lights, will the LOS one light up at some stage? My installer mentioned it a light would come on it but no sign yet.

ONT LED indications

untitled2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Has anyone set up their Eir router in bridging mode and used an alternative wifi set up? I would like to use my current airport extreme setup .... is that possible?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fabarm

Have half inch HG Hydrodare round conduit over 50 metres from roadside to house for my existing copper wire landline. No outside ETU only a DIY access manhole in ground where conduit enters house & then 3 metres of electrical oval conduit underneath my porch floor tiles to NTU - with this 20 year old set up, am I wasting my time with eir FTTH installation ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Fabarm wrote: »
    Have half inch HG Hydrodare round conduit over 50 metres from roadside to house for my existing copper wire landline. No outside ETU only a DIY access manhole in ground where conduit enters house & then 3 metres of electrical oval conduit underneath my porch floor tiles to NTU - with this 20 year old set up, am I wasting my time with eir FTTH installation ?
    Thanks

The installers will make a judgement on the day I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Eir sales guy called by while I wasn't hear and was told to come back before he heads home, should I go through Eir or stay away? Digiweb are dearer and have more strict sounding words in regards to going over your usage limit whereas Eir make you pay for it.

Anyone know if Digiweb actually cut you off when you exceed 1TB?

Eir rural FTTH thread related because the Eir sales guy is coming back soon..!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Eir sales guy called by while I wasn't hear and was told to come back before he heads home, should I go through Eir or stay away? Digiweb are dearer and have more strict sounding words in regards to going over your usage limit whereas Eir make you pay for it.

Anyone know if Digiweb actually cut you off when you exceed 1TB?

Eir rural FTTH thread related because the Eir sales guy is coming back soon..!
    It really doesn't matter who you choose unless you live in mayo and can get westnet which is truely unlimited.

• Advertisement

Signed up with Eir,

him: that's the second 1,000 package

me: On the road?

him: No.. the second 1,000.. that I've heard of

Signed up with Eir,

I'm not surprised, It's very hard to imagine how anyone in a domestic situation could ever need anywhere 1Gb/s download speed.

I recently downloaded an entire Ubuntu iso image in less than one minute on a 150Mb/s link. That's fast enough for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

Installer arrived on the day, later than expected but that's ok. Was happy I had done all prep work, making sure he could get through the duct and knowing where I wanted it installed.

It's been in for a week now, great to be able to stream reliably.

The switchover to Eir, from Vodafone was on the 14th August, Vodafone removed my bundle from my account on the 14th and posted a bill up to that date. Now I have another bill from Vodafone from 15th Aug to 15th September for non bundled charges for Vodafone Talk and Unlimited Local and National Minutes, totaling just over €30!

My Eir account shows me as with them from the 14th.

Looks like I have a battle ahead of me with Vodafone, anyone else have this experience?

Speeeeeeeed
    giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Eir are some crowd of chancers. We signed up after a door-to-door rep came around about a month ago, and were told we'd have installation within two weeks. Numerous cancelled appointments later, and a lot of phone calls and online correspondence with eir later, finally got everything installed today.

Now it turns out there's a problem with the connection at the pole (wrong connection used or something like that) and it will be another week until that's sorted.

I know a lot of people are getting service with no issues, but a look around here and on Eir's forums shows that plenty of people seem to be having issues.

• Advertisement

Signed up with Eir,

The 1,000 meg package is not good value considering you can get 150 or 300 for 12-20 euros less per month. All 3 packages have the exact same fair usage policy so it's pointless going for 1,000 when you can use up your download limit 3 times faster than the person on 300 meg. It only makes sense to go for the 1,000 meg package if you absolutely need the 100 meg upload speed.

Eir are kinda shooting themselves in the foot marketing all packages as unlimited yet they are all on the same fair usage policy. If FTTH was sold with different data caps as well as speeds and prices then it may make more sense for some customers to go for the 1,000. Infact i'd change the speeds as well to make them more of an even spreed and more competitive against Siro and Virgin media etc.

e.g.

330 / 75, 2tb allowance = 55 per month
    600 / 125, 5tb allowance = 63 per month
    1000 / 250, 8tb allowance = 75 per month

The 1,000 meg package is not good value considering you can get 150 or 300 for 12-20 euros less per month. All 3 packages have the exact same fair usage policy so it's pointless going for 1,000 when you can use up your download limit 3 times faster than the person on 300 meg. It only makes sense to go for the 1,000 meg package if you absolutely need the 100 meg upload speed.

Eir are kinda shooting themselves in the foot marketing all packages as unlimited yet they are all on the same fair usage policy. If FTTH was sold with different data caps as well as speeds and prices then it may make more sense for some customers to go for the 1,000. Infact i'd change the speeds as well to make them more of an even spreed and more competitive against Siro and Virgin media etc.

e.g.

330 / 75, 2tb allowance = 55 per month
    600 / 125, 5tb allowance = 63 per month
    1000 / 250, 8tb allowance = 75 per month

will be paying 100 per month for as many TB as we need, 75 + 24.95 overage penalty (the penalty is capped). 100 euro for 1000 meg and truly unlimited usage is OK from my point of view

will be paying 100 per month for as many TB as we need, 75 + 24.95 overage penalty (the penalty is capped). 100 euro for 1000 meg and truly unlimited usage is OK from my point of view

According to this the penalty is capped at €100 pm for eir Fibre products, so €75 + €100 = €175 pm max. FTTH is an efibre/eir fibre product.
    Footnote 5

eFibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50 (inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100 (inc. VAT) per month.

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

The Cush wrote: »
    According to this the penalty is capped at €100 pm for eir Fibre products, so €75 + €100 = €175 pm max. FTTH is an efibre/eir fibre product.

I seemed to remember a few months back customers getting charged the full 100 euros penalty for only going less than 100 gigs over the usage policy and I'm not sure Eir would be grand with that each month either. A business FTTH account would probably be required to go well beyond the 1tb every month.

Fook I was sure I read it was capped at 25. Couldn't do business at all, we had to make sure it was a non business bank account, no business email and address was to a name not the business at all..

Fook I was sure I read it was capped at 25.
    For the ADSL broadband product I believe.

Yep fcuk it anyway, the business packages seem to all state the standard t&cs apply and same phrasing of unlimited and they're 90 euro per month

Will just have to see what the story is once it's installed the gig isn't worth it over 300 when it's so easy to use 1tb in a month

It's 400kB/s for a month to go through that or 4% of the gig connection! So if you use 5% of your speed at all times you won't even get the month out of it how are they getting away with marketing that as unlimited?!

open-eir are using 20/16 mm radius (½" heavy gauge) as ducting for the rollout of fibre, you might be OK.

DSC_0078.jpg

Yep fcuk it anyway, the business packages seem to all state the standard t&cs apply and same phrasing of unlimited and they're 90 euro per month

Will just have to see what the story is once it's installed the gig isn't worth it over 300 when it's so easy to use 1tb in a month

It's 400kB/s for a month to go through that or 4% of the gig connection! So if you use 5% of your speed at all times you won't even get the month out of it how are they getting away with marketing that as unlimited?!

yeps it's pure marketing bs and they know it. When they say unlimited they mean you can use your internet connection whenever you want and do what you want with it. What really annoys me is they double down on it and say that there is absolutely no usage limits.

Eir would be much better off being truthful with their customers over the fair usage policy, spell out the data cap like Australian service providers do or just go properly unlimited like Sky or Virgin Media. If Westnet in Mayo can afford to offer truly unlimited to their customers then surely Eir can as well and build up better goodwill with customers.

Thanks

Can you borrow some of the rods used to fish cable through ducts? Know any electrician? freind of a freind? You could see if you can get the rod through from the access manhole to the NTU, if that works you should be ok. You could even pull some string through and leave it there to show them, they might even use it. I found that the more hassle you took out of the job for them, the more cooperatve they were.

• Advertisement

yeps it's pure marketing bs and they know it. When they say unlimited they mean you can use your internet connection whenever you want and do what you want with it. What really annoys me is they double down on it and say that there is absolutely no usage limits.

Eir would be much better off being truthful with their customers over the fair usage policy, spell out the data cap like Australian service providers do or just go properly unlimited like Sky or Virgin Media. If Westnet in Mayo can afford to offer truly unlimited to their customers then surely Eir can as well and build up better goodwill with customers.

100%. I don't see how it isn't false advertising, you really have to dig and ask two or three times to tease out the 1 TB limit, and they use phrases like 'download to your hearts content'. The sales people on phone and in person talk about 1 TB of data in the same terms as would have been used 15 years ago.

If they think nobody would ever need over 1TB then why have a limit at all :rolleyes:

The Cush wrote: »
    open-eir are using 20/16 mm radius (½" heavy gauge) as ducting for the rollout of fibre, you might be OK.

DSC_0078.jpg

Thanks for that

Ricta wrote: »
    Can you borrow some of the rods used to fish cable through ducts? Know any electrician? freind of a freind? You could see if you can get the rod through from the access manhole to the NTU, if that works you should be ok. You could even pull some string through and leave it there to show them, they might even use it. I found that the more hassle you took out of the job for them, the more cooperatve they were.

Thanks for that suggestion.

By the way Vodafone said they do will not take over existing eir FTTH connections i.e. when initial contract expires (I know they have Siro for some towns etc) & have said that the old copper wire should be left in place in the conduit if I ever wanted to switch back to Vodafone).

Just wondering has anyone come across a neat way of getting the fibre cable through a cavity wall from the outside ground level (where there is no built in ETU) - i.e. using a suitable waterproof junction box to hide the unsightly cable & hole etc ?

I noticed on my Eir account that the unlimited calls isn't unlimited either, there are figures under each heading indicating the amount of minutes allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

My order is stalled due to a lack of ports...

Considering this is a ftth installation and noone is even connected on the Patrickswell exchange.

Something dodge going on by making areas live on the map when reality they are not.

It's the lies that p1sses me off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I noticed on my Eir account that the unlimited calls isn't unlimited either, there are figures under each heading indicating the amount of minutes allowed.

How many minutes? Vodafone used to do this but the number of minutes assigned was higher than the number of minutes in a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,659 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

oleras wrote: »

Considering this is a ftth installation and noone is even connected on the Patrickswell exchange.

Something dodge going on by making areas live on the map when reality they are not.

I'm pretty sure there's something similar going on for me. As you say it's the lies that are annoying, wouldn't mind if we were just given a truthful date to begin with

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

oleras wrote: »

"Lack of ports..." seems like a FTTC issue/confusion rather than FTTH?

Thanks for that suggestion.
    Just wondering has anyone come across a neat way of getting the fibre cable through a cavity wall from the outside ground level (where there is no built in ETU) - i.e. using a suitable waterproof junction box to hide the unsightly cable & hole etc ?

I bought an IP65 rated box in my local Topline hardware store, 100mm x 100mm x 50mm. and some 16mm x 40 mm trunking in B&Q for the external work. Woodies or B&Q (can't remember) also had Brick Buster Cable Entry covers which could cover the hole.

I recessed the IP65 box into the wall, I have external wall insulation, you could surface mount it and run trunking up to it.

For internal cabling along skirting, I got D-Line 16x8 mm trunking and a bag of various corners/joints in B&Q

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    "Lack of ports..." seems like a FTTC issue/confusion rather than FTTH?

It's their default response now when they have no other explanation. In fairness it is not the retail side that is at fault here. All retailers seem to have been given a list of supposed live premises when in reality it seems a portion of them are not live. Why this is taking so long to rectify is puzzling to say the least.

Ricta wrote: »
    I bought an IP65 rated box in my local Topline hardware store, 100mm x 100mm x 50mm. and some 16mm x 40 mm trunking in B&Q for the external work. Woodies or B&Q (can't remember) also had Brick Buster Cable Entry covers which could cover the hole.

I recessed the IP65 box into the wall, I have external wall insulation, you could surface mount it and run trunking up to it.

For internal cabling along skirting, I got D-Line 16x8 mm trunking and a bag of various corners/joints in B&Q

Thanks for that - very neat job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Thanks for that - very neat job

Yes. Better than many of the professional installs we have seen.

d31b0y wrote: »
    How many minutes? Vodafone used to do this but the number of minutes assigned was higher than the number of minutes in a month.

I tried viewing it now, but i just get an endless buffering saying getting last bill, Il post it when I can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Update from the Inch St. Lawernce exchange. Yesterday on my line in Bohermore and Inch St.Lawernce North they were putting up the last of the Splice boxes and connecting up to the exchange. Today some senior OpenEir staff are inspecting all the splice boxes for signal. So far so good. There is now a wait from Comreg before they can sanction ready for selling which the staff say could be over a months time.
    Elsewhere they where activity in Lunddenbeg about half way between the Exchange and Ballyneety village. They were connecting Fibre cables from the Cul de sac roads serving Killcullen West and Luden graveyard. No splices boxes yet between Caherconlish and Beary's Cross on the main road towards Limerick City. Only one or 2 splices boxes up with many more to be installed in the Boher area. I reckon there should be some activity in those two areas as I post.

Can anyone give me a head's up please - I have my eircom master socket in the hallway & my landline phone sockets & alarm landline speech dialler are spliced from there.
    If I install open eir's FTTH, will I lose the use of the alarm speechdialler & existing phone sockets ?
    Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Can anyone give me a head's up please - I have my eircom master socket in the hallway & my landline phone sockets & alarm landline speech dialler are spliced from there.
    If I install open eir's FTTH, will I lose the use of the alarm speechdialler & existing phone sockets ?
    Thanks

I presume your copper line would be retained. I don't think your present phone installation would be touched. It will look like that there is a second line coming into your house wether it is overhead or by duct depending what way your copper comes in.

Only if you change your telephone service over to VOIP/VOBB, which is via fibre access.

d31b0y wrote: »

Attached a screen-grab of parent's Eir a/c allowances. Calls to Irish landlines aren't included in the section, so I'm guessing it's the only type of call that actually is unlimited.

I see my minutes are lower, Im on the Unlimited Local/UK and Mobile calls

Has anyone found a manual way to fix the slow webpages/loading issue for older devices? Without the use of the app DN Set? I was reading up that if you set a static ip for the phone it may help. One of the phones in my household wasnt working well with the fibre, it can only use the 2.4g. I installed DN set as suggested on this forum, it works well now but the fact it says network activity monitored puts me off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement