Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

Has anyone been changed over to VoIP/VOBB?
    I'm curious as I expected the service to start last April, but have had radio silence from Eir since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

iioklo wrote: »
    Your Phone would be pluged into 1 of the 2 phone slots on the back of the router.

Thanks, I dont have it so.. I wouldnt want the phone in the room where the router is either so dont know how I would work that out when the time comes.

Pangea wrote: »
    Thanks, I dont have it so.. I wouldnt want the phone in the room where the router is either so dont know how I would work that out when the time comes.
    This is where the home structured cabling comes into play, Use cat5 cable to go from the router to your phone, Otherwise just run a long cable with an "eir" socket near the phone and plug the other end into the modem.

Eir have to launch the service first, or you can use one of the other VoIP providers out there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Has anyone been changed over to VoIP/VOBB?
    I'm curious as I expected the service to start last April, but have had radio silence from Eir since.
    Eir have to launch the service first, or you can use one of the other VoIP providers out there.

I'm assuming they've launched just not promoting it yet. Their VoBB pricing has been in effect since 23/06/17 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=103890254#post103890254

open-eir had planned a 6 month wholesale promotion for service providers to migrate subscribers from copper to NGA/CGA/NGB VUA from the beginning of July but by June the promotion proposal had disappeared, maybe objections from ???

No one has posted that they were changed over to VoBB from copper that I can recall, snowstreams did get a new VoBB service when he had FTTH installed back on June 27th - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104411854#post104411854

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭iioklo

I wouldnt want the phone in the room where the router is either so dont know how I would work that out when the time comes.

If you have a Telephone Wall Outlet near the Router (maybe your Router was pluged into to get VDSL/ADSL) you could connect a cable in here then all phone points around your house should be connected to the VoIP/VoBB service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Cordless phone?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭cornet

The Cush wrote: »
    Were you required to change to VoIP/VOBB from copper or did they ask if you wanted to transfer or did they just change it over without asking?
    Explained during sign-up that phone would be VOIP/VOBB per the bundle. The copper line and all associated phone points in the house are redundant. Only problem now is if there is no power then there is no landline phone. We had an old style phone as backup on our old system for power outages

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,720 ✭✭✭jd

cornet wrote: »
    Explained during sign-up that phone would be VOIP/VOBB per the bundle. The copper line and all associated phone points in the house are redundant. Only problem now is if there is no power then there is no landline phone. We had an old style phone as backup on our old system for power outages

Eir are trialling vobb internally, I think. You plug your old phone into the back of your cpe. You can download an app on to your mobile, and you can receive/send your vobb calls from anywhere.

cnocbui wrote: »
    Cordless phone?

Yeah but cordless have bases that need plugging into a socket too.
    iioklo wrote: »
    If you have a Telephone Wall Outlet near the Router (maybe your Router was pluged into to get VDSL/ADSL) you could connect a cable in here then all phone points around your house should be connected to the VoIP/VoBB service.

That would be handy if its possible.

cornet wrote: »
    Explained during sign-up that phone would be VOIP/VOBB per the bundle.
    Looks like they are migrating customers over to VoBB and the installation of FTTH is the opportune to do it.

• Advertisement

jd wrote: »
    Eir are trialling vobb internally, I think.
    They have been for a while now, some posts here with people on the trial. But newer posts with new phone customers straight to VoBB and the one above where the existing customer has been migrated over to VoBB at FTTH install.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

That would be handy if its possible.

It's possible. The PSTN socket on a router with a built-in ATA looks exactly like a telephone exchange to any handset or DECT base station you plug into it. Connecting your home phone wiring to an ATA is exactly the same thing as connecting it to an eir master socket.

This is how the manufacturer, Acome, identifies the cable strands per tube (6 or 12 strands) and the tubes, up to 24 tubes, for a maximum of 288 strands per cable.

untitled2.jpg

The positioning of the fibre colours in the Acome cable, as per the brochure, correspond to the standard used by Orange S.A. (formerly France Télécom, the then incumbent state telecom operator) but the fibre tube colours differ from the cable I stripped down (Blue, Orange, Green) which correspond to EIA/TIA-598.

Fibre and MicroTubes Colour Code: Blue - Orange - Green - Brown - Grey (Slate) - White - Red - Black - Yellow - Violet - Pink (Rose) - Turquoise (Aqua)

fibre_colour_codes.jpg
    untitled1.jpg

Outer sheath on the left
    2 fibre tubes (blue & green)
    3 strands of Aramid yarn as strength member
    1 fibre tube (orange) followed by the 12 strands of fibre from that tube, coloured (in no particular order) - turquoise, violet, orange, brown, red, blue, pink, grey, black, yellow, green, white

I see my minutes are lower, Im on the Unlimited Local/UK and Mobile calls

Odd, I see my minutes allowance has increased dramatically since above post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

Further update from my area (Murroe Limerick), just over a week ago they started rolling out fibre on the poles, one route completed, working on a second route this past week. For the past two days a crew has been installing the splice boxes on the first route. Scheduled live date is Autumn 2017.

I'm in that area too and my FTTC speed has increased about 50% since the new works have started. I'm hoping my parents who live a little outside the bill will benefit from the FTTH too.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

h3000 wrote: »
    I'm hoping my parents who live a little outside the bill will benefit from the FTTH too.

Are they on a FTTH route? Routes south and North of the village appear complete, working on the routes East of the village now and installing the fibre fixings on the poles on the road towards Abington late last week.

Go to the Dept's NBP map to see which houses are scheduled to receive FTTH on this rollout phase.

Are they on a FTTH route? Routes south and North of the village appear complete, working on the routes East of the village now and installing the fibre fixings on the poles on the road towards Abington late last week.

Go to the Dept's NBP map to see which houses are scheduled to receive FTTH on this rollout phase.

They seem to be on the route alright. I must make a few enquiries.

h3000 wrote: »
    They seem to be on the route alright. I must make a few enquiries.

Unfortunately on the route is no guarantee they'll be able to receive FTTH. Put their eircode in here - http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx to see if they're in the rollout plan.

Unfortunately on the route is no guarantee they'll be able to receive FTTH. Put their eircode in here - http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx to see if they're in the rollout plan.

All good with a bit of luck.
    Eircode V94 XXXX is in the LIGHT BLUE AREA
    Your premises is in the commercial planned deployment area that will be covered on a commercial basis. For further information on rollout in your area go to http://fibrerollout.ie/

Validated Eircode address
    XXXX, MURROE, CO. LIMERICK, V94XXXX

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Due for an install later today - I was supposed to be 1st job of the day, but they called me Friday to say they have to do another job first, so I have to wait an unknown amount of time until they've finished that one.

I was hoping they coudl use the existing ducting of our current copper line that goes straight from the pole outside our wall, underground and into our hallway. But a KN installer I spoke to working on another house warned that a lot of installs are failing because the ducting goes too narrow for their rods at the house end, and they end up having to run an overhead wire to the gable instead.

I'd like to avoid that (more unsightly, plus trees might come in to play). So If they do have a problem with their rods to push the new cable, can I request that they use the old copper wire to pull it through, then abandon that and ask to be switched to the VOBB service? (I'm already an Eir customer)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Gwynston wrote: »
    can I request that they use the old copper wire to pull it through, then abandon that and ask to be switched to the VOBB service? (I'm already an Eir customer)

No they won't use the copper to pull it through.
    What happens if the copper snaps when trying to pull it through due to duct being damaged etc. Then you could be left without service for couple of weeks while they try do over head install.
    Or for some crazy reason like you decide to down grade back to copper service so for the moment they have to leave the copper in place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Is there any Vodafone home broadband customers getting their service through Open Eir's ftth system? AFAIK Vodafone don't use this method. Got a phone call from them selling me their Broadband at home service and I seem to get the attitude that they would use the ftth cables but I am not assured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Is there any Vodafone home broadband customers getting their service through Open Eir's ftth system? AFAIK Vodafone don't use this method. Got a phone call from them selling me their Broadband at home service and I seem to get the attitude that they would use the ftth cables but I am not assured.
    They only use Siro FTTH network at the moment and only use open eir FTTC network.

Jpmarn wrote: »

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Only those with a house icon resell open-eir's FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

I live on the Fairyhouse Road in Co. Meath
    My house is not on the blue line ( 1 km away)
    However my pole outside the house had ducting installed (looped) and they were working at a duct/manhole very close by as well
    Are these maps really accurate or does this indicate that i might get FTTH
    Dan

DanRocksOn wrote: »
    However my pole outside the house had ducting installed (looped) and they were working at a duct/manhole very close by as well
    Dan
    Hi put your phone number and eircode into this website see what it say www.fibrerollout.ie

frozenfrozen was in a similar position (beyond the blue/yellow line) and the fibre is being extended to include his area, you might be in luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Dan

I have seen it extended past the map's end point in another area so it is quite possible you may be serviced. Are there many houses between where the line on the map ends and your home?

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi put your phone number and eircode into this website see what it say www.fibrerollout.ie

That is not totally accurate. I know of at least one case where the fibre has been brought to a premises that fails this check and is currently amber on the NBP map.

• Advertisement

That is not totally accurate. I know of at least one case where the fibre has been brought to a premises that fails this check and is currently amber on the NBP map.
    They can extend the fibre area if they wish since it a commercial rollout plus they said it was 300,575 premises in rollout.Im guessing the 300,000 are only one on there system with the eircodes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

frozenfrozen was in a similar position (beyond the blue/yellow line) and the fibre is being extended to include his area, you might be in luck

correct, we were never on any version of the blue / yellow line, still marked as AMBER on the NBP map, and getting rolled out to under Eir FTTH after the 6th of September

rob808 wrote: »

I tried this and I just get a spinner. No result
    On the Rural 300K, it says I am non-commercial
    That is what I am hoping for. THe duct/manhole beside the house was covered over when they were building the M3 and they recently spent a couple of weeks un earthing it. This has fibre (main line ) in it already.
    I have seen it extended past the map's end point in another area so it is quite possible you may be serviced. Are there many houses between where the line on the map ends and your home?

There are a good few. and they have ducting up most of the poles. However no sign of fibre yet. They appear to be working further up the road at the moment in terms of pulling fibre.

I tried this and I just get a spinner. No result
    On the Rural 300K, it says I am non-commercial

That is what I am hoping for. THe duct/manhole beside the house was covered over when they were building the M3 and they recently spent a couple of weeks un earthing it. This has fibre (main line ) in it already.

There are a good few. and they have ducting up most of the poles. However no sign of fibre yet. They appear to be working further up the road at the moment in terms of pulling fibre.

I'd be cautiously optimistic. The ducting up the poles is a good sign.

Have a look at the ducting, this was rolled out in our area

DSC_0078.jpg

Great. Gives me hope!

• Advertisement

The ducting I am seeing is different. Its like a white ish ducting running up the pole and left with a loop.
    I will post a picture later.
    The ducting in the picture above is appears on poles further up the road

The ducting I am seeing is different. Its like a white ish ducting running up the pole and left with a loop.
    I will post a picture later.
    The ducting in the picture above is appears on poles further up the road

That sounds like the ducting they use when blowing the fibre with compressed air.

Local here, they recently rolled out ducting from the exchange to the first poles on the fibre routes and the ducting appears to be a lighter colour.

Dan is this similar to the ducting?

p7nrU7w_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=high

Yes. that looks like but without the black fibre.
    Assume they will blow the fibre thru the ducting as they work down the road.
    Or maybe go so far and wait for the NBP to pay for it :-(

• Advertisement

Hopefully you get covered. If you get a chance try speaking to some of the guys doing the work. Any of them I have spoken to have been very helpful and they could give you more concrete information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

You never know what's happening behind the scenes. I know someone in Eir and am planning to ask him to extend the route to my house. I've no idea whether it will work but he's local and senior enough.

Dan is this similar to the ducting?

That looks like the ducting from my exchange to the start of the fibre routes.

That looks like the ducting from my exchange to the start of the fibre routes.

I assume the distance is too far to pull or push manually so they blow it instead.

I assume the distance is too far to pull or push manually so they blow it instead.

That would be correct, the hydrodare is used on the shorter run between poles.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104518507#post104518507

Open-eir wholesale promotion in effect since July 1st for a period of 6 months. Each existing copper-line telephone subscriber that a retailer migrates over to VoIP/VoBB is worth €100 wholesale credit plus the relevant connection/migration fee that is applicable at the time of the order for each line migrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Well, I had mine installed last Saturday.

Got the 1000mb Extreme connection. So running speed test every 4 hours since then with mixed results.

Downstream
    Min Speed - 120 Mb/s
    Max Speed - 820 Mb/s (seen only once)
    Avg Speed - 410 Mb/s

Upstream
    Min Speed - 89 Mb/s
    Max Speed - 99 Mb/s
    Avg Speed - 92 Mb/s

I have Cat6e cables running to and from Eir Router and PC.

Why would I be seen fluctuating speeds?

The area only went live last week, so it can't be contention, could it?

Unhappy paying for 1000mb and on avg never getting over half the speed expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Test results from the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

I've been looking up the roll out maps and my house falls just out of eir's fibre range by literally metres. I'm not far from the main road yet I can see houses much far can avail of it.

Is there any contact that can be made to discuss the issue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

raydator wrote: »
    Well, I had mine installed last Saturday.

Got the 1000mb Extreme connection. So running speed test every 4 hours since then with mixed results.

Downstream
    Min Speed - 120 Mb/s
    Max Speed - 820 Mb/s (seen only once)
    Avg Speed - 410 Mb/s

Upstream
    Min Speed - 89 Mb/s
    Max Speed - 99 Mb/s
    Avg Speed - 92 Mb/s

I have Cat6e cables running to and from Eir Router and PC.

Why would I be seen fluctuating speeds?

The area only went live last week, so it can't be contention, could it?

Unhappy paying for 1000mb and on avg never getting over half the speed expected.

There is no Cat6e, but presumably you're using Cat5e or Cat6 so should be well able to support the Gigabit connection. Have you used a different cable (in case the first one is faulty)?
    raydator wrote: »
    Test results from the last hour.

I don't recognise that speed tester. Most on here use speedtest.net so try a few of those and share the results.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement