Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

[PHP][/PHP]
    I've been looking up the roll out maps and my house falls just out of eir's fibre range by literally metres. I'm not far from the main road yet I can see houses much far can avail of it.

Is there any contact that can be made to discuss the issue?
    http://fibrerollout.ie put your Eircode and number see what result you get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Interesting posts re the QOS, and the ideas of changing cables etc. I mentioned a while back that it might be useful to indicate the price being paid. Maybe people are reluctant but it could be interesting to try to evaluate the value? OK, "value" is subjective but could be useful.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

There is no Cat6e, but presumably you're using Cat5e or Cat6 so should be well able to support the Gigabit connection. Have you used a different cable (in case the first one is faulty)?

It cost a bit more but I have cat6E running around my house.

Category 6 Enhanced (6e) is an augmented specification designed to double transmission frequency to 500 MHz. By wrapping Category 6e in grounded foil shielding, full 10-Gigabit Ethernet speeds can be reached without sacrificing the max cable length of 100 meters.

I have also switched to a cat5e cable run from the Eir router directly to my PC which sits no more than 12 feet away from the router and i still get between 400-500.

I don't recognise that speed tester. Most on here use speedtest.net so try a few of those and share the results.

The KN engineer told me to keep away from speedtest.net (Ookla) and any site that uses the Ookla test engine.
    He pointed me to https://www.measurementlab.net/tests/ndt/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

can you get the proper speeds on speedtest.net just to rule out it being anything to do with your pc etc?

can you get the proper speeds on speedtest.net just to rule out it being anything to do with your pc etc?

Just done one now and it's very slow this morning.

I have also tried a laptop with an Intel Gigabit network card. Same results.

that's very poor have you done the old turn it off and on again of the router?

other than that it looks like it's not a fault on your side of the equation

So I called Eir tech. I should be receiving 1000mb or close too (950 or above).

As my order was only installed on Saturday it's still showing as "post complete" and therefore not completed.

So I will have to wait until tomorrow and then they will be able to fault check the connection and test the speed to the router.

They are happy with the current setup i.e. cable type, cable length and network card speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

raydator wrote: »
    So I called Eir tech. I should be receiving 1000mb or close too (950 or above).

As my order was only installed on Saturday it's still showing as "post complete" and therefore not completed.

So I will have to wait until tomorrow and then they will be able to fault check the connection and test the speed to the router.

They are happy with the current setup i.e. cable type, cable length and network card speeds.

You should use iPerf to test your own cabling. Just because its 5e/6 doesnt mean its actually crimped sufficiently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

It cost a bit more but I have cat6E running around my house.

Category 6 Enhanced (6e) is an augmented specification designed to double transmission frequency to 500 MHz. By wrapping Category 6e in grounded foil shielding, full 10-Gigabit Ethernet speeds can be reached without sacrificing the max cable length of 100 meters.

I have also switched to a cat5e cable run from the Eir router directly to my PC which sits no more than 12 feet away from the router and i still get between 400-500.

The KN engineer told me to keep away from speedtest.net (Ookla) and any site that uses the Ookla test engine.
    He pointed me to https://www.measurementlab.net/tests/ndt/

According to this:
    Category 6e is not a standard, and is frequently misused because category 5 followed with 5e as an enhancement on category 5.

But there is Cat 6A, which is what it sounds like you have been wired with. ;)

Use iPerf as ED E suggested.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Captureuy.jpg

Have the 150m plus free uk and Irish calls.

Should be as above,first bill came in today
    WTF

ED E wrote: »
    You should use iPerf to test your own cabling. Just because its 5e/6 doesnt mean its actually crimped sufficiently.

Can you suggest the test to run as I have never used iPerf before?

I have iPerf sitting on my laptop with iperf3 -s, and on my computer waiting to perform the test but I have never used it.

WTF

does your bill state what the extra charge was? you could have gone over your 'unlimited' data

Can you suggest the test to run as I have never used iPerf before?

I have iPerf sitting on my laptop with iperf3 -s, and on my computer waiting to perform the test but I have never used it.

-s on one and -c 192.168.1.3 on the other

replace that ip with the ip of the pc running the iperf server

-s on one and -c 192.168.1.3 on the other

replace that ip with the ip of the pc running the iperf server
    D:\iperf>iperf3 -c 192.168.1.10
    Connecting to host 192.168.1.10, port 5201
    [  4] local 192.168.1.2 port 56230 connected to 192.168.1.10 port 5201
    [ ID] Interval           Transfer     Bandwidth
    [  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   112 MBytes   937 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   110 MBytes   924 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   111 MBytes   929 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   112 MBytes   937 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   112 MBytes   935 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   935 Mbits/sec                  sender
    [  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   935 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

Can you decode what it telling me?

D:\iperf>iperf3 -c 192.168.1.10
    Connecting to host 192.168.1.10, port 5201
    [  4] local 192.168.1.2 port 56230 connected to 192.168.1.10 port 5201
    [  4]   0.00-1.00   sec   112 MBytes   937 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   1.00-2.00   sec   110 MBytes   924 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   2.00-3.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   3.00-4.00   sec   111 MBytes   929 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   4.00-5.00   sec   112 MBytes   940 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   5.00-6.00   sec   111 MBytes   933 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   6.00-7.00   sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   7.00-8.00   sec   112 MBytes   937 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   8.00-9.00   sec   112 MBytes   935 Mbits/sec
    [  4]   9.00-10.00  sec   112 MBytes   939 Mbits/sec
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    [  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   935 Mbits/sec                  sender
    [  4]   0.00-10.00  sec  1.09 GBytes   935 Mbits/sec                  receiver

iperf Done.

Can you decode what it telling me?
    well going by that your get close to your 1Gb your never get your full speed usually 940 mbits is about right.

• Advertisement

you're transferring between those pcs at 900+ Mbit so both pcs are capable of doing gig, and that particular cable you used is good for gig

rob808 wrote: »
    well going by that your get close to your 1Gb your never get your full speed usually 940 mbits is about right.

that's 1 gig locally between 2 pcs, showing his pcs can at least do gig but that's nothing to do with his Eir FTTH connection

that's 1 gig locally between 2 pcs, showing his pcs can at least do gig but that's nothing to do with his Eir FTTH connection

So does this mean that my PC(data cables) are not causing a bottle neck?

I will wait till tomorrow for Eir tech to test the incoming speed.

does your bill state what the extra charge was? you could have gone over your 'unlimited' data

No mention of that on bill.
    Says
    Service charges 96.47
    Other charges 99.99
    Eir bundle -25.00

total 171.46

that's what I'd take away from the test yes, right now the hardware you tested with iperf is capable of gig speeds

• Advertisement

No mention of that on bill.
    Says
    Service charges 96.47
    Other charges 99.99
    Eir bundle -25.00

total 171.46

their extra data charges are capped at 100 euro so that could well be what it is.. :( you'll have to ring and see if they will tell you what 'other charges' are

their extra data charges are capped at 100 euro so that could well be what it is.. :( you'll have to ring and see if they will tell you what 'other charges' are

@BorneTobyWilde, Their fair usage is 1TB per month..... you must have been downloading a lot!

@BorneTobyWilde, Their fair usage is 1TB per month..... you must have been downloading a lot!

1TB is not a lot! *shakes fist* :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Pffft. Its really not. Moving my backup this month which will be 0.89TB all by itself.

You've proven that:
    NIC in PC1, NIC in PC2 and the cables used are perfect. Router is standard issue so the problem is Router-ONT or ONT-Eir.

I had 0.72 mb broadband and my usage has not changed since then.
    I use youtube, boards, facebook once in a blue moon.
    How could that use 1TB
    aRE dIGI Web truly unlimited ?

How could that use 1TBi
    There is no unlimited download limits only westnet and virgin media are unlimited,and maybe sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

How could that use 1TB

Your usage may not have changed but I guarantee your usage has exploded. The devices you use see a faster network and use much more ie Youtube starts pulling HD video, Facebook starts preloading content and video, Netflix changes to the higher quality even web pages preload more images and sometimes even preload the links they think you might click.

I honestly doubt you've hit 1TB though, but it is possible

Your usage may not have changed but I guarantee your usage has exploded. The devices you use see a faster network and use much more ie Youtube starts pulling HD video, Facebook starts preloading content and video, Netflix changes to the higher quality even web pages preload more images and sometimes even preload the links they think you might click.

I honestly doubt you've hit 1TB though, but it is possible
    That a easy fix just go to setting and drop to sub HD wouldn't say Facebook would use much.

I stand corrected..... OMG 1TB is not enough!!

I have a combined usage of 469028 MB sine Last Saturday!!!

• Advertisement

We will all get shouted at for bringing the thread off topic to the unfit for purpose 1TB limit but anyway IMO it's directly related to Eir FTTH...

1TB FUP is absolutely not fit for purpose.

403KB/s average transfer rate over the month is what gets you the 100 euro fine

33GB per day, how easy is it to pass that? [for anyone who doesn't really know how big 33GB is]

so you watch 2 4k episodes of something on netflix (16.8GB/hr), watch youtube in 1080p (1.6GB/hr) for an hour or so, download an update for a game on steam or maybe a new game (500MB - 50GB), that's before you have facebook open in another tab (80MB/hr), and on your phone pulling in loads of media content every time you unlock it (???/hr, could be between 0 - 100MB/hr), whatsapp groups with pictures & videos (5MB-80MB/hr), you upload a video to youtube of your cat jumping onto the curtains (1GB), that kind of day at the very least would be over your 33GB daily target.

Sure, it could be easy enough to stay inside the 1TB limit with a bit of 'self control' (what's the point in a gig connection if you have to watch youtube in low quality etc..?!) but if you add a second person to the mix? Have a few people over and let them on your wifi? You could see the 100 euro penalty..easily.

the fair usage policy should be there to stop people from seeding torrents to 500TB per month or hosting their own copy of the_fappening.zip

it shouldn't have any bearing on someone wanting to actually use the 1 gig connection provided by their internet service provider... so they can connect to the internet at 1 gig speeds

• Registered Users Posts: 31 DanRocksOn

Roadfan wrote: »

What a spoofer.
    He is operating on the principle that procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow!

If he waits until 2050 then the alien invaders will bring new technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fabarm

Have existing 20 year old copper wire connection to my house in a 50m long underground 1/2" conduit from Eir manhole out on verge of public road.
    Now there is clearly no room in the conduit for the fibre cable as well as the copper wire but I understand the copper wire will not be removed so chances are I will need to run a fresh conduit. I have no problem doing except that but the neighbour has recently tarmaced all around the Eir manhole - does anyone know if KN will at least provide a conduit to the inside of my roadside boundary wall otherwise I will have to get permission to cut up a few yards of tarmac ?
    In the alternative, can I opt to pull out the copper wire myself & if so will I lose my existing telephone sockets & alarm speech dialler ( I read somewhere on this thread though that the F2000 has a built in ATA which presumably could be connected to the existing Eir master socket ?)
    Hoping someone has come across this - did ask Eir but was told "Order first & the you can speak to Tech"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

DanRocksOn wrote: »
    What a spoofer.
    He is operating on the principle that procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow!

If he waits until 2050 then the alien invaders will bring new technology.

Every 2 or 3 months the same article gets printed in the IT - the only thing that changes is the year get pushed out and out. It's way beyond a joke at this stage.

turbbo wrote: »
    Every 2 or 3 months the same article gets printed in the IT - the only thing that changes is the year get pushed out and out. It's way beyond a joke at this stage.
    The NBP at it final stage were bidder (s) give there final proposal before the tender Awarded until end September we won't get any real news either way most of us are getting FTTH of Open Eir.

The NBP at it final stage were bidder (s) give there final proposal before the tender Awarded until end September we won't get any real news either way most of us are getting FTTH of Open Eir.

You a belieber?

You a belieber?
    belieber? it in the final stage it alway going to be slow nobody want another NBS.

belieber? it in the final stage it alway going to be slow nobody want another NBS.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/beliebers

yeah you're one of them! a believer!

NBP is dragging out year after year at least the NBS happened as crappy as it was.

http://www.yourdictionary.com/beliebers

yeah you're one of them! a believer!

NBP is dragging out year after year at least the NBS happened as crappy as it was.
    what ever dude can we just keep this about rollout no more about download limits and NBP.

• Advertisement

what ever dude can we just keep this about rollout no more about download limits and NBP.

Never once mentioned download limits and iirc you brought up the NBP! :rolleyes:

Never once mentioned download limits and iirc you brought up the NBP! :rolleyes:
    I never said you did but anyway no point in getting into silly arguments.

oh yes you did - re-read your post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

We will all get shouted at for bringing the thread off topic to the unfit for purpose 1TB limit but anyway IMO it's directly related to Eir FTTH...

1TB FUP is absolutely not fit for purpose.

403KB/s average transfer rate over the month is what gets you the 100 euro fine

33GB per day, how easy is it to pass that? [for anyone who doesn't really know how big 33GB is]

so you watch 2 4k episodes of something on netflix (16.8GB/hr), watch youtube in 1080p (1.6GB/hr) for an hour or so, download an update for a game on steam or maybe a new game (500MB - 50GB), that's before you have facebook open in another tab (80MB/hr), and on your phone pulling in loads of media content every time you unlock it (???/hr, could be between 0 - 100MB/hr), whatsapp groups with pictures & videos (5MB-80MB/hr), you upload a video to youtube of your cat jumping onto the curtains (1GB), that kind of day at the very least would be over your 33GB daily target.

Sure, it could be easy enough to stay inside the 1TB limit with a bit of 'self control' (what's the point in a gig connection if you have to watch youtube in low quality etc..?!) but if you add a second person to the mix? Have a few people over and let them on your wifi? You could see the 100 euro penalty..easily.

the fair usage policy should be there to stop people from seeding torrents to 500TB per month or hosting their own copy of the_fappening.zip

it shouldn't have any bearing on someone wanting to actually use the 1 gig connection provided by their internet service provider... so they can connect to the internet at 1 gig speeds

This only affects 1% of their users at that moment, until this gets much higher they won't do much about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Anyone seen those B4RN videos on youtube? It's a rural broadband scheme, in the north of England. Run by local groups, not BT, Virgin, Talk Talk or whoever. Immense speeds (700mb and higher). Why can't we do schemes like that over here? It's not like the rural north of England is awash with cash, but they seem to manage it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

blueser wrote: »
    Anyone seen those B4RN videos on youtube? It's a rural broadband scheme, in the north of England. Run by local groups, not BT, Virgin, Talk Talk or whoever. Immense speeds (700mb and higher). Why can't we do schemes like that over here? It's not like the rural north of England is awash with cash, but they seem to manage it.

Why not start one if you think it would work for you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,725 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Why not start one if you think it would work for you?
    I don't think it would work around here, given the "ho hum" type responses to the videos when I've mentioned them. Wishful thinking on my part. Ah well; roll on autumn next year (supposedly).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

I met Barry Forde (who started B4RN) a few years ago and I was really impressed with his drive and passion for the scheme. Other than some initial funding what it needed was the community as a whole to come together to deliver it - especially the farmers on whose land the fibre is run through. The farmers were given concessions for just having it on their land.

B4RN give full 1Gbps, symmetrical, PTP connections for £30pm! :eek: None of that PON-muck that Open eir and Siro are rolling out. :D

I carried out some initial soundings in my extremely rural part of North Tipperary to see if there would be any similar interest here. I got a fair amount of positive feedback, but there were some significant land owners who point blank refused to countenance the idea.

You get the same carry on in cities where people refuse to give VM permission to string the cable across their facia. There are some people who are plain inconsiderate.:mad:

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

It's a fantastic initiative. I've been to one of their open days (well worth a visit). But it's unlikely to be replicated here for a few reasons.

One has been touched on already: Irish people are neurotic, bordering on psychotic, when it comes to land. On top of that, land ownership can be very fragmented, so while a few kilometers of fibre in northern England could be run across one or maybe two farmers' land, you could be dealing with a dozen landowners here and it only takes one to say no.

Another problem is backhaul. You need to be able to access properly high-speed fibre somewhere relatively close to your fibre build, and accessible fibre isn't something we have an abundance of in rural areas.

But the nail in the coffin is the NBP. It quite simply doesn't make sense to go to all the trouble and expense of building a rural fibre network when the government is going to build one in a few years anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Captureuy.jpg

WTF

That is why I asked about the price/deal, etc. I assume the €171 includes setup fees? Couldn't see it in the pic. I'd be interested in the answers to your (obvious?) query.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

BarryM wrote: »
    That is why I asked about the price/deal, etc. I assume the €171 includes setup fees? Couldn't see it in the pic. I'd be interested in the answers to your (obvious?) query.

What setup fee?. There should NOT be a setup fee.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement