Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

oscarBravo wrote: »
    One has been touched on already: Irish people are neurotic, bordering on psychotic, when it comes to land.

Maybe, but a proper, community based, initiative, WITH an INCENTIVE, would probably work.
    On top of that, land ownership can be very fragmented, so while a few kilometers of fibre in northern England could be run across one or maybe two farmers' land, you could be dealing with a dozen landowners here and it only takes one to say no.

Another problem is backhaul. You need to be able to access properly high-speed fibre somewhere relatively close to your fibre build, and accessible fibre isn't something we have an abundance of in rural areas.

Agreed, there is a problem with the granularity, it took us 4 years to get the OKs for permission for a walk passing houses.
    But the nail in the coffin is the NBP. It quite simply doesn't make sense to go to all the trouble and expense of building a rural fibre network when the government is going to build one in a few years anyway.

This the real problem, the NBP will never happen, as presently proposed. eir is queering the pitch, announcing here there and everywhere, foot dragging on access to switches for other operators, etc. Add to that the Dept of Finance hasn't agreed to spend anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

IMO, this thread is about rollout, eir's FFTH, and the experiences. It is exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

So I finally had the KN installer turn up this morning, but I don't yet have FTTH :(

It seems what I was warned about a couple of weeks ago proved true for me: While we do have piping running from the pole underground to our house, the last couple of feet into the hallway uses a much narrower (20mm) conduit which he straight away said would prevent him pushing the fibre through. I did ask about getting rid of the copper wire, or using it to pull through, but he said he wasn't allowed to do that, and besides - when he gave it a yank it wasn't budging at either end, so mush be blocked or kinked somewhere.

He said almost half his installs are failing for this reason - it was typical to finish phone lines this way because the thick black piping from the pole is too inflexible at the house end - and he knows because he has done it many times himself when working as a sparkie! ;)

So the alternate was to run the cable from the pole overhead to the side of our house, but the pole is slightly more in front of next door than our wall and so the neighbour's tall trees would need cutting, which mightn't be an impossibility, but is awkward :o

After a bit of lateral thinking we came up with a possible better solution: run the fibre from the pole with the splice box back to the previous pole which is in front of the other side of our plot (with no house or trees that side) and run it from there to the other side of our house.

So we're going to try that, but have to wait for another install day because they will need a lifter to get up the pole that side, as it's surrounded by uneven ground. So keeping fingers crossed...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Gwynston wrote: »
    It seems what I was warned about a couple of weeks ago proved true for me: While we do have piping running from the pole underground to our house, the last couple of feet into the hallway uses a much narrower (20mm) conduit which he straight away said would prevent him pushing the fibre through. I did ask about getting rid of the copper wire, or using it to pull through, but he said he wasn't allowed to do that, and besides - when he gave it a yank it wasn't budging at either end, so mush be blocked or kinked somewhere.

He said almost half his installs are failing for this reason - it was typical to finish phone lines this way because the thick black piping from the pole is too inflexible at the house end - and he knows because he has done it many times himself when working as a sparkie! ;)

This is what eircom said previously about using 20mm conduit from the ETU to the master socket :D
    Use flexible duct (low friction circular 20mm ID) from the ETU to the Network Terminating Unit (NTU). This is essential to allow replacement / upgrade of telecoms cable and to provide for optic fibre cable to the home in future.

Muppets: wrote:
    Use flexible duct (low friction circular 20mm ID) from the ETU to the Network Terminating Unit (NTU). This is essential to allow replacement / upgrade of telecoms cable and to provide for optic fibre cable to the home in future.
    Marvellous... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

rob808 wrote: »
    [PHP][/PHP]http://fibrerollout.ie put your Eircode and number see what result you get.

I have done that and for some reason fibre is active all all houses but my own.

I was just looking to see is there anybody in particular that could be contacted to discuss why my house wasn't included in the roll out and to put a time frame on things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

I have done that and for some reason fibre is active all all houses but my own.

I was just looking to see is there anybody in particular that could be contacted to discuss why my house wasn't included in the roll out and to put a time frame on things
    well you could try contact open eir see will they extend it to your house.Try email them fibrepower@openeir.ie with your Eircode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

well im running into that 1Tb fup not a bother with my 1gig ftth :( never knew it existed on ordering ftth, i presumed (stupid me) that a 1gig connection would have a fup in line with the usage to be expected with a connection like that! do digiweb or pure have the same 1Tb fup?

well im running into that 1Tb fup not a bother with my 1gig ftth :( never knew it existed on ordering ftth, i presumed (stupid me) that a 1gig connection would have a fup in line with the usage to be expected with a connection like that! do digiweb or pure have the same 1Tb fup?
    yup only westnet doesn't

such a bloody joke tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Roadfan

Without boring anyone with too much detail I reckon fibre will be available to me over next 18 months or so. Anyway cant wait so went for another solution which is working fine t
    Involves a mast. Probably will go for fibre at some stage and in this regard just want to say thanks to all who have shared experiences particularly in relation to connections to houses and difficulty with using existing ducts,. Means at least I and no doubt others are at least aware of possible complexities. Thanks again

After a bit of lateral thinking we came up with a possible better solution: run the fibre from the pole with the splice box back to the previous pole which is in front of the other side of our plot (with no house or trees that side) and run it from there to the other side of our house.

So we're going to try that, but have to wait for another install day because they will need a lifter to get up the pole that side, as it's surrounded by uneven ground. So keeping fingers crossed...!
    Out of the blue, I got a call this morning just as I was leaving for work saying the installers were on their way with a hoist to do the job! So I now have FTTH installed! :D

Honestly, judging by the complete disconnect between the notifications I've been getting from OpenEir Help and the installation dates+times which I've had both cancelled and attended, the whole installation rollout is a shambles! Just last night I was texted a new install date of Sep-13th! :p

With the hundreds of installs going on and so many failing, it must be a nightmare for the engineers! :rolleyes: And I'm lucky to be able to work from home to attend these visits, and can get home at a few minutes notice - most other customers must be hugely inconvenienced....

Anyway, haven't had much of a chance to play with it yet (had to run to work), except to test Wifi: 50MB/s down and up standing right next to it, but at the other end of the house, this drops off dramatically to single figures. :eek: The F2000 wifi really is rubbish :mad: And we only have solid walls downstairs - everything upstairs is hollow, as are the ceilings...

Will test a wired connection later to see how close we get to our 300MB package. The installer was saying most people on 150MB are only getting around 100MB, but seem to be happy with that as it's still 50x faster than they'd ever had before fibre :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Unfortunately I reckon it will be 2 years before Eir even consider raising the FUP, and when it's raised, it will be 2tb at most. The question is who will be the first to increase the fup, it's like as if they all have a friendly agreement with each other that we're only allowed 1tb per month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

So, fibre is now officially 100% available to me... Only problem is, I have to run a new duct the 200 - 250 m from the main road to my house.
    Who should I be looking at to do that kind of work? Any builder or someone specificly in the telecoms business? Any tips on what I need to look out for? Any estimate on cost (assume 50m of tarmac to be dug up and replaced, the rest is soil / stones - it's nowhere near that much but better to over-estimate, I guess)?

I get the feeling this might go on the long finger though as I am pretty happy with my Imagine LTE connection presently.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Unfortunately I reckon it will be 2 years before Eir even consider raising the FUP, and when it's raised, it will be 2tb at most. The question is who will be the first to increase the fup, it's like as if they all have a friendly agreement with each other that we're only allowed 1tb per month.

its such a joke, its like they all have an agreement to keep people unhappy at every stage of having a broadband connection :rolleyes: theres no point in paying for a 1gig connection imo (i have one) if your going to be running 50-100 over your bill every month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

d31b0y wrote: »
    So, fibre is now officially 100% available to me... Only problem is, I have to run a new duct the 200 - 250 m from the main road to my house.
    Who should I be looking at to do that kind of work? Any builder or someone specificly in the telecoms business? Any tips on what I need to look out for? Any estimate on cost (assume 50m of tarmac to be dug up and replaced, the rest is soil / stones - it's nowhere near that much but better to over-estimate, I guess)?

I get the feeling this might go on the long finger though as I am pretty happy with my Imagine LTE connection presently.

I'd be interested in info on this too. I cant get the FTTHuntil I get a trench dug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Girl at work is getting FFTH in today, she asked them to do an attic install, but they wouldn't do it.
    They mentioned something about a booster that would help the signal, she didnt know what they meant and frankly either do I. Will find out once its completed.

except to test Wifi: 50MB/s down and up standing right next to it,

Are you sure you're not using the 2.4G signal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

its such a joke, its like they all have an agreement to keep people unhappy at every stage of having a broadband connection :rolleyes: theres no point in paying for a 1gig connection imo (i have one) if your going to be running 50-100 over your bill every month

We have gone over 1TB a few times. Ordinary household with kids, Netflix etc. Not mad down/uploaders by any stretch. 1TB just does not suit the product - simple.

Pangea wrote: »
    Are you sure you're not using the 2.4G signal?
    I was actually.
    Couldn't connect on 5G using my (old) Android phone. Probably need that DNSet app? Does that just fix the initial slow connection problem with some devices?

So does 5G distribute better through walls etc.? I will do some more testing later with newer devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    We have gone over 1TB a few times. Ordinary household with kids, Netflix etc. Not mad down/uploaders by any stretch. 1TB just does not suit the product - simple.

It's an obvious way to make a quick few bob. They did this in the past with dsl. I used to have a 16mb speed and a download limit of 4gb or something stupid like that. Many moons ago, but it's a pattern repeated as they know they made money in the past doing it. They used to quote this unlimited nonsense in the adverts and then you were still bound by a fair usage policy. Now i've got 2.5mb speed so the chances of me breaking a download limit are fairly slim to none. :mad:

I was actually.
    Couldn't connect on 5G using my (old) Android phone. Probably need that DNSet app? Does that just fix the initial slow connection problem with some devices?

So does 5G distribute better through walls etc.? I will do some more testing later with newer devices.
    Yeah the app will help the initial connection with older devices, the posters on here said 2.4GHZ is actually better going through walls than 5GHZ

OK, so only getting this with a cat 5e cable:

6586346461.png

I think my network card maybe only supports 100MB/s, but I'm on the 300MB package, so I should be getting better than that?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

OK, so only getting this with a cat 5e cable:

6586346461.png

I think my network card maybe only supports 100MB/s, but I'm on the 300MB package, so I should be getting better than that?

I think somebody mentioned it could take a day or two for speeds to be settled after Install.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

For those on here who've had failed installs due to the underground ducting, would newer built houses have better ducting for it or it would all be the same?

also, if the underground install fails, is it feasible to put a new pole where the underground cover is (or near it) and run a cable overhead?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭ccazza

Amadan90 wrote: »
    For those on here who've had failed installs due to the underground ducting, would newer built houses have better ducting for it or it would all be the same?

also, if the underground install fails, is it feasible to put a new pole where the underground cover is (or near it) and run a cable overhead?

Our house is built 11 years and they had no trouble bringing the Cable through the ducting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Depends on what the builder put in the ground during construction.

Based on posts here, it depends, Gwynston above got an overhead cable when his ducting failed, others I believe require new ducting.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

The knowable people here may have a answer to a fibre question , I got FTTH installed last week and everything went very smooth only took over a hour going overhead ,

I had two wifi options on router the normal 2.4 and 5ghz and speed was as should be but after 12hours another wifi option appeared Eir-wifi and when clicked on it asked for username and password as normal but no username or password worked for it , I then connected to router via Lan and checked was there 3 wifi options but only two .

I was not happy with the FTTH as I had my old service running as well so under the cooling off period I got it disconnected this week and when disconnection happened the Eir-WiFi disappeared again Funny or what ????

Has anyone else come across this ??Does anyone know what the Eir-Wifi is or what is it for , can the ONT (which is really a dumb router) on the wall have a wifi (don't think so) as I know you can connect to it by Lan and configure the ONT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

eir WiFi is a service that allows eir customers to access the internet over WiFi at other eir Fibre customers' homes using a portion of their Fibre broadband ..."

• Advertisement

The Cush wrote: »
    Based on posts here, it depends, Gwynston above got an overhead cable when his ducting failed, others I believe require new ducting.
    Correct. Our house is 16 years old and had narrower ducting fitted for the last few feet right from the start. The KN guys said it was quite usual to do this because the extra flexibility is useful when finishing off the final wiring and hall fittings. And he should know, he said, because he worked for years as a sparkie and did it himself many times over the years on new builds! ;)

There shouldn't be a problem going overhead if you have a clear line to a pole, although it obviously doesn't look so good. He told me about a road in Derrydonnell (near Athenry) where every single house has too narrow ducting, but there are no poles at all - the whole road is serviced underground. So to get FTTH, every single house is going to have to dig up and replace their ducting! :eek:

eir WiFi is a service that allows eir customers to access the internet over WiFi at other eir Fibre customers' homes using a portion of their Fibre broadband ..."

So does that mean that people can connect to your broadband using there Eir credentials? And if so who's Fup is being used

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

addict wrote: »
    So does that mean that people can connect to your broadband using there Eir credentials? And if so who's Fup is being used

As I understand it, the connection is made using someone else's router, but that connection is isolated from the owner's service and the data is not counted against the FUP.

is the usage counted against their own account FUP or have we found a loop hole to get around the 1TB limit? :)

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

...the ONT (which is really a dumb router)...
    On a point of pedantry, it's more like a slightly smart 2-port switch than a dumb router, operating at OSI layer 2 rather than layer 3.
    ...I know you can connect to it by Lan and configure the ONT

From what I've seen, that's a one-shot deal. Once it's paired with the OLT it disables its user interface to prevent the end user from frigging with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

is the usage counted against their own account FUP or have we found a loop hole to get around the 1TB limit? :)

In Virgins deployment you cant use your account at your own routers shared network, presumably to stop this kinda thing.

On a point of pedantry, it's more like a slightly smart 2-port switch than a dumb router, operating at OSI layer 2 rather than layer 3.

Id call it an optical modem, as thats what it is.

ED E wrote: »
    In Virgins deployment you cant use your account at your own routers shared network, presumably to stop this kinda thing.

swap logins with the neighbours.. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

swap logins with the neighbours.. :cool:

I believe the bandwidth on the guest wifi SSID is limited to stop that.

With VM its 3M symmetric last time I checked.

• Advertisement

I believe the bandwidth on the guest wifi SSID is limited to stop that.

Anybody know the limit ?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Anybody know the limit ?

426781.png

I was told by Eir that my installation would be sometime after 28th of September due to wiring problems on the poles (have no idea what the problem was) but got a phone call today from OpenEir saying install will be this Monday. I've already had 2 dates for install and on 2nd date, that was when they noticed the problem.

I won't hold my breath that the install will happen this Monday although i also got a letter in the post today saying Eir Fibre Extreme is now active in my area.

My house is about 15 years old so hopefully the underground ducting is suitable because an overhead install seems almost impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

Anybody know the limit ?

426781.png
    An interesting thread about that eir wifi on your eir router.
    http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057728213

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I was told by Eir that my installation would be sometime after 28th of September due to wiring problems on the poles (have no idea what the problem was) but got a phone call today from OpenEir saying install will be this Monday. I've already had 2 dates for install and on 2nd date, that was when they noticed the problem.

I won't hold my breath that the install will happen this Monday although i also got a letter in the post today saying Eir Fibre Extreme is now active in my area.

My house is about 15 years old so hopefully the underground ducting is suitable because an overhead install seems almost impossible.

Amadan, What exchange area and county are you in?

Installation of ftth equipment has more or less been completed as planned in the Inch St.Lawernce Limerick exchange in the past week or so and are technically live. I'm in wait for our lines to be officially live before we can put in the orders. According to the rollout map as of the 15 August last parts of my exchange area was marked live but not on the road I live. I noticed a few extra premises should be able to connect to ftth than originally planned on the OpenEir Map. Beary's Cross on the N24 where traffic turn for Caherconlish and Mitchelstown and Knockea School in the Ballyneety area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Wondering if anyone here could shed some light on a situation I'm having.

Eir salesman signed us up to a fibre package in July, eventually got it installed after a couple of missed appointments on the 21st of August, but it's still not working.

I've tried getting answers from eir but they're not giving much away, and the one member of staff who actually looked into it said the problem is with KN and they can't get a definite date on when it will be fixed. My house is live according to eir's map and has been for weeks.

Is this a common occurrence? I'd be happy enough waiting for it if I knew it was coming eventually, but I'm now completely without home phone and internet for close to two weeks, it's getting a bit ridiculous.

Wondering if anyone here could shed some light on a situation I'm having.

Eir salesman signed us up to a fibre package in July, eventually got it installed after a couple of missed appointments on the 21st of August, but it's still not working.

I've tried getting answers from eir but they're not giving much away, and the one member of staff who actually looked into it said the problem is with KN and they can't get a definite date on when it will be fixed. My house is live according to eir's map and has been for weeks.

Is this a common occurrence? I'd be happy enough waiting for it if I knew it was coming eventually, but I'm now completely without home phone and internet for close to two weeks, it's getting a bit ridiculous.
    Try contacting open eir fibrepower@openeir.ie and try ring eir again.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Amadan, What exchange area and county are you in?

Installation of ftth equipment has more or less been completed as planned in the Inch St.Lawernce Limerick exchange in the past week or so and are technically live. I'm in wait for our lines to be officially live before we can put in the orders. According to the rollout map as of the 15 August last parts of my exchange area was marked live but not on the road I live. I noticed a few extra premises should be able to connect to ftth than originally planned on the OpenEir Map. Beary's Cross on the N24 where traffic turn for Caherconlish and Mitchelstown and Knockea School in the Ballyneety area.

I'm in Donegal, the update on the map in August also marked my exchange as live. The map has a different route as to what was actually done.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Ricta

or is it a gateway, translating from one protocol, ethernet to another, fibre optic network protocol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

BarryM wrote: »
    That is why I asked about the price/deal, etc. I assume the €171 includes setup fees? Couldn't see it in the pic. I'd be interested in the answers to your (obvious?) query.

No answer yet. Got no reply from Eir on here.

I also got an email from Eir to my email, I've had no dealings with them whatsoever, it was my sister who has this broadband, and it's her details on file with Eir, yet they managed to send me a bill to my email?
    How the fcuk did they get my email??????? I literally have no clue as to how they obtained an email address for me, and why they would send me the bill.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement