Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Pangea wrote: »
    For those that have upgrade to FTTH, does your old eir account still show up in my eir? Mine does, I tried deleting it but it doesnt do anything.

When I ordered FTTH, Eir issued me a new account number and cancelled the old ADSL account immediatley. I then deleted the ADSL account in myeir after adding the new FTTH account number.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    well sky use the word totally unlimited which I guess they are unlimited.

Sky are truly unlimited but don't resell or offer FTTH. Also for those who did move Eir/Voda to Sky FTTC I've read contention issues/speed drops etc so not sure it's a wise move changing to them if quality of service is paramount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Had FTTH nearly a week now. On the 300MB package but "only" seeing this with a wired connection:

6602848968.png

Now I know I should be eternally grateful, having moved up from 1.7MB, but shouldn't I be getting what I've paid for?
    What can be done to resolve this?

Gwynston wrote: »
    Had FTTH nearly a week now. On the 300MB package but "only" seeing this with a wired connection:

6602848968.png

Now I know I should be eternally grateful, having moved up from 1.7MB, but shouldn't I be getting what I've paid for?
    What can be done to resolve this?

most likely your network card in your computer only supports up to 100 megs. You need a gigabit Ethernet networking card. Most computers/laptops from past 4/5 years would have one already installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Gonzo wrote: »
    that's the way it was in my area. 9 months of ducting/manhole work (visits often weeks or months apart), wiring the entire area took a few hours. After that the splicing did take a few days, but the ducting/manholes was 90% of time spent on project.
    i drive through summerhill today they have splicing boxes up but my road there isn't yet but say FTTH available at my address on open Eir and Eir website.I ask open Eir last week they said October my area be live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

most likely your network card in your computer only supports up to 100 megs. You need a gigabit Ethernet networking card. Most computers/laptops from past 4/5 years would have one already installed.
    Doh! Of course that's it! :o
    I even said so in my post from last week with my first Speedtest figures. I was waiting for the figures to "settle down", which they have done now, but for some reason in my head expected more last night :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

cnocbui wrote: »
    We had poles replaced in early spring, since then no signs whatsoever except sighting a K&N van near a fiber cabinet a month or so ago. The schedule said Autumn, but still no sign of movement.

Have you mailed fibrepower@openeir.ie with your EirCode for a better idea of timeframe? The online maps/info they have isn't correct from the (later date) that I have from their email response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Interview this morning about the National Broadband plan. 89:33 in http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=9_10770299_48_07-09-2017_

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

just been informed of 11th of september install date for us here.

I still haven't done anything more on running conduit or anything but sure what can I really do when there's no information from their side at all

• Advertisement

Gwynston wrote: »
    Doh! Of course that's it! :o
    I even said so in my post from last week with my first Speedtest figures. I was waiting for the figures to "settle down", which they have done now, but for some reason in my head expected more last night :p

I think this whole 'settling down' period associated with getting FTTH is a myth. You get the proper speeds within seconds/minutes of using the service once you connect via Ethernet cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

I think this whole 'settling down' period associated with getting FTTH is a myth. You get the proper speeds within seconds/minutes of using the service once you connect via Ethernet cable.

I was skeptical when i read about the 24/48hrs 'stabling' for FTTH but it really does seem to be legit.

My PS4 on wireless was getting 50mbps for the first few days and now it's getting 85mbps (absolute no change whatsoever in set-up)

I signed up for 1gb because i want to make up for lost time since my old connection was 5mbps haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Is anyone finding that android devices seem to run slow with eirs ftth? Speed tests are grand but in use through WiFi seems very sluggish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Is anyone finding that android devices seem to run slow with eirs ftth? Speed tests are grand but in use through WiFi seems very sluggish

Yeah I was having that issue too Sean. It seemed to be an issue with the DNS within the eir router.
    But I couldnt fix it within the router so I installed a dns set app on my phone.

Just google a DNS set app in the app store, it should set your DNS to google DNS using a vpn.
    You should see an instant improvement. Though you will need to enable the app everytime you restart your phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

IPv6 DNS lookups.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I would have thought FTTH should be full speed from the get go. The settling in period I believe was specific to ADSL. The kit in the exchange had to learn what speed each individual line could hold with out causing sync issues. So a customer could order 8mb ADSL and on day one only get 1mb, then 2mb the following day until the equipment found the right balance between speed and a reliable connection. I can not see why that would apply to FTTH?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Amadan90

ED E wrote: »
    IPv6 DNS lookups.

What do you mean?

I'm also having problems with sluggish speed on android phones and the DNS app works but would rather a more permanent solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Have you mailed fibrepower@openeir.ie with your EirCode for a better idea of timeframe? The online maps/info they have isn't correct from the (later date) that I have from their email response.

I haven't. Don't think I'll bother as it will make no difference. I doubt I'll see it this year.

Anyone know what happens if you sign up but then sell your house before the contract period ends?

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭pg17

I have 100 Mbps with FTTC. For as long as I can remember I had 30 - 40 MBPS on my Android phone, that was until a few weeks ago when it dropped to 5Mbps.

Yesterday, for a different reason, I changed the WiFi channel on the F2000 router from 1 to AUTO and immediately found the speed on the Android phone increased to 30 - 40 Mbps.

I can't be certain if the change of channel made a difference but it seems likely. There is/was no interference on channel 1. The auto selected channel was 7 or 8 initially, tonight it is using channel 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@The Cush, I was passing Powers Pub in Abington this evening before it got dark and I spied a large reel of what looked like fibre left in the car park. According to the 300k, they are rolling it out as far as the Abington Enterprise Centre in the coming months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

@The Cush, I was passing Powers Pub in Abington this evening before it got dark and I spied a large reel of what looked like fibre left in the car park. According to the 300k, they are rolling it out as far as the Abington Enterprise Centre in the coming months.

Based on what I've seen in the area already once the reel of fibre is dropped off they should be running it in the next few days (btw: the reels carry about 35250m of fibre cable).

The fibre rollout here is moving along fairly rapidly, lots of crews around even on Saturdays. The Murroe-Abington route is the last of the primarily overhead routes to be completed, to the Enterprise Centre, to just beyond the cemetery and past the CoI Church. The other overhead routes north, east and south are either done or at an advanced stage of completion with the rural fibre cable being joined to the fibre cable run from the exchange in recent days/weeks.

The last planned route, Murroe-Five Cross Roads-Limerick road, which also happens to be the core fibre route from the Castletroy exchange to the local exchange, is primarily underground and will be the last to be done it appears.

KOR101 wrote: »

http://www.enet.ie/enet-sse.html
    http://www.enet.ie/news/177/138/Naughten-launches-broadband-plan-connecting-115-000-regional-homes-and-businesses.html
    Enet, which is competing with Eir and ESB-Vodafone joint venture Siro for the NBP contract, now plans to build a separate network to supply many of the same homes.

What infrastructure are they planning to use for this rollout, eir's poles/ducts or Siro's or their own?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

The Cush wrote: »
    http://www.enet.ie/news/177/138/Naughten-launches-broadband-plan-connecting-115-000-regional-homes-and-businesses.html

What infrastructure are they planning to use for this rollout, eir's poles/ducts or Siro's or their own?
    why the hell are they mostly in co Donegal what up with that well now we know which lot Enet gunning for in NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

why the hell are they mostly in co Donegal what up with that well now we know which lot Enet gunning for in NBP.

I'm happy they are here, but they seem to only be doing the town centres, not rolling outside the town, nor will they cover any NBP premises.

So my house misses out again!

Siro don't even know where Ballyshannon or Bundoran is, so it won't be anything they are involved in, unless SSE can use the ESB poles then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Pangea wrote: »
    Interview this morning about the National Broadband plan. 89:33 in http://rte.ie/r.html?rii=9_10770299_48_07-09-2017_

Jaysus,RTE still needing Flash.... does it still exist? Sorry for the offtopic...

BarryM wrote: »
    Jaysus,RTE still needing Flash.... does it still exist? Sorry for the offtopic...

New multi-platform player to launch before the end of the year - https://presspack.rte.ie/2017/04/24/rte-announces-plans-to-develop-the-next-generation-rte-player/

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

With the notable exception of Ballinasloe, all of the towns are on ESBT's NTFON.

Ballinasloe is on the Galway railway line so presumably will be backhauled on enet's Irish Rail fibre.

My install has been moved up to tomorrow between 9-11am but I have to work in Galway from mid afternoon so won't have any pictures from the process

going to have to do a bit more clearing and cleaning today very excited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

For a lot of people in real rural areas this is another annoyance.
    Of course it is commercially driven so not a surprise.

What it means, it seems, is that in many built up locations there will be a choice of fibre providers, apparently on separate infrastructures, while outside of these built up areas the people must wait.

On the positive side of things, if there is real competition in the built up areas, then that might positively effect the NBP bids.

Enet could have really put the 'cat among the pigeons' by including a bunch of premises not in the eir 300k list.
    What that might have done to the NBP is scary.

Now if Siro could be persuaded to compete with eir on some of the other areas in the 300k, that would certainly make a huge difference to the final NBP bids.

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Enet, which is competing with Eir and ESB-Vodafone joint venture Siro for the NBP contract, now plans to build a separate network to supply many of the same homes.

I think the journalist has this wrong. Openeir's rural ftth is outside the town centres, with fttc/evdsl in these towns. I think enet will be rolling out in tthe towns themselves, not in the rural ftth areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

to most journalists anywhere outside Dublin = rural

garroff wrote: »
    to most journalists anywhere outside Dublin = rural

In the domain of access networks, anything 2km from an exchange is rural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Yeah I was having that issue too Sean. It seemed to be an issue with the DNS within the eir router.
    But I couldnt fix it within the router so I installed a dns set app on my phone.

Just google a DNS set app in the app store, it should set your DNS to google DNS using a vpn.
    You should see an instant improvement. Though you will need to enable the app everytime you restart your phone.

this actually worked :) thanks

In the domain of access networks, anything 2km from an exchange is rural.

I'm in Ballyshannon, one of the enet towns, 1.6km from the cabinet, but got a loser position on the NBP, no connection to the cabinet.

Neither enet nor eir commercial rollout will service my house.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    With the notable exception of Ballinasloe, all of the towns are on ESBT's NTFON.

Ballinasloe is on the Galway railway line so presumably will be backhauled on enet's Irish Rail fibre.

What is that? ESBT NTFON?

AidenL wrote: »
    What is that? ESBT NTFON?

ESB Telecoms Ltd NTFON (National Telecoms Fibre Optic Network)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I've just been window shopping Eir's business (real) Fiber packages.

I'm bang smack in the middle of the NBP area so it's just fantasy right now

I was wondering if anyone has got any of the above packages and what the situation was with Eir's FUP on these business packages?

Interestingly if you click on the Standard Eir Broadband Terms and Conditions and click on the link in that document for their "Acceptable Usage Policy" it takes you to what appears to be a Cookie Policy Page for an Italian Eir website??

Sorry I'm a new user so can't post links

Jim

westyIrl wrote: »
    I've just been window shopping Eir's business (real) Fiber packages.

I'm bang smack in the middle of the NBP area so it's just fantasy right now

I was wondering if anyone has got any of the above packages and what the situation was with Eir's FUP on these business packages?

Interestingly if you click on the Standard Eir Broadband Terms and Conditions and click on the link in that document for their "Acceptable Usage Policy" it takes you to what appears to be a Cookie Policy Page for an Italian Eir website??

Sorry I'm a new user so can't post links

Jim
    Jim I've been told there is no limit of any kind on the business package. I asked several times and mentioned the 1TB fup for the other packages and the phrase they then used was "you'll have the same Internet as a premise with 5,000 employees, there is no usage limit"

It's supposed to be getting installed today so I'll pass 1TB tomorrow and see what the story is.

• Advertisement

Jim I've been told there is no limit of any kind on the business package. I asked several times and mentioned the 1TB fup for the other packages and the phrase they then used was "you'll have the same Internet as a premise with 5,000 employees, there is no usage limit"

It's supposed to be getting installed today so I'll pass 1TB tomorrow and see what the story is.

They don't want a business package as it would kill off BIP subscriptions.

Installer is here right now and we have gone with a business package in the end!

There was actually a pretty big hullabaloo with us having gone with residential originally, which was sorted out when two people from Eir business called out to us and we signed up through the whole process again and had to send off legal sounding emails about how we were miss sold residential BB..

I asked them several times was there any form of fair usage policy and they said "there is none. You will have the same internet connection as a premise with 5,000 employees"

If we get billed for going over 1TB then we'll break the contract. Which I said to the two of them many times in that meeting, my words "any FUP is a deal breaker" and they both heard and acknowledged this.

The differences between residential and biz are we are paying something a decent bit higher per month, c. 110exvat p/m although I'm not sure if that includes phone minutes, we have an 8 hour S.L.A., and it's a 24 month contract

8HR for that money is pretty good value, I'm impressed.

yeah was pleasantly surprised with that they said it very nonchalantly too just that they were the only provider to do that.

Install just failed, the box on the pole had -25 and they need -15 or the other way around. Said it's what they're all failing for and he was a bit pissed off that he couldn't have done the install here today because it was so straight forward.

Waste of his time & waste of his bosses time who was here with him, who is paying for all these failed installs?

Waste of his time & waste of his bosses time who was here with him, who is paying for all these failed installs?

The NGA contracts with KNN have a 28 day period of their responsibility. So if KNN botch they pay for the 2nd(and subsequent if rec) truck roll.

If its a case of OE infrastructure causing the fail I suspect the KNN FLMs will push that back onto them. Same goes for when an OLO bodges the order details.

I'd like to hear Oscars/9726's take on the low RX levels. Range really shouldnt be an issue so is it bad splicing or bargain basket PON kit. Brand new plant shouldn't be disappointing like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

I asked them several times was there any form of fair usage policy and they said "there is none. You will have the same internet connection as a premise with 5,000 employees"

Thanks very much frozenfrozen. Sounds like a genuine non-FUP. Hearing your case is believing.

I well believe this. Each time I look for that page on Eir's business site, I have to google it as there doesn't appear to be any link into it from their business home page. But maybe I'm missing something simple.

The differences between residential and biz are we are paying something a decent bit higher per month, c. 110exvat p/m although I'm not sure if that includes phone minutes, we have an 8 hour S.L.A., and it's a 24 month contract

Is this for the 1000Mb Service? I'm curious as to what package this is as it doesn't appear on the webpage //business.eir.ie/super-fast-fibre/ (put https: at start) based on that price. A bargain none the less.

Can you explain 8 hour S.L.A.? I assume SLA is service level agreement but just trying to understand what 8 HR is exactly in this context.

Thanks again for you feedback

Jim

• Advertisement

westyIrl wrote: »
    Thanks very much frozenfrozen. Sounds like a genuine non-FUP. Hearing your case is believing.

I well believe they would rather not have business packages for Fiber. Each time I look for that page on Eir's business site, I have to google it as there doesn't appear to be any link into it from their business home page. But maybe I'm missing that.

Is this for the 1000Mb Service? I'm curious as to what package this is as it doesn't appear on the webpage //business.eir.ie/super-fast-fibre/ (put https: at start) based on that price. A bargain none the less.

Can you explain 8 hour S.L.A.? I assume SLA is service level agreement but just trying to understand what 8 HR is exactly in this context.

Thanks again for you feedback

Jim

Jim it is important you get in contact with the right people, I won't go into any more detail than it was a complete pain where we ended up after being forced to sign up with the residential service originally -- we were told explicitly that the fibre service was not available for us as a business. The following week we received a call from our areas business rep and he was shocked to hear the wording used by the residential reps. It was a bit embarrassing seeing the left hand not knowing what the right hand was doing within Eir retail...

If any residential sales people call to you, you need to ask to be referred to the business rep for that area, it doesn't matter what they say to you about them not existing, you tell them they need to pass you on to them. If you want I can forward you on the details of the people we dealt with, we're in Clare though so there would be someone else for your area, but I'm sure this man could forward you on to the correct person if needs be.

This is for the 1000mb service yes, it's called "Business Advantage Boost - 1GB" I wish it was a "1GB" connection, haha. But that is how they have it written, this is the one that is 1gb / 1000mb download, and I'm assuming 100mb upload but I actually don't know yet.

8 hour SLA = if the line goes down they will have it up again within 8 business hours, or they would have to pay compensation etc. This is pretty unusual on such a cheap connection. I could see this and the 'unlimited' nature being removed going forward when they realise they're replacing an XXXX euro per month service with a 1XX euro per month product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

The NGA contracts with KNN have a 28 day period of their responsibility. So if KNN botch they pay for the 2nd(and subsequent if rec) truck roll.

If its a case of OE infrastructure causing the fail I suspect the KNN FLMs will push that back onto them. Same goes for when an OLO bodges the order details.

I'd like to hear Oscars/9726's take on the low RX levels. Range really shouldnt be an issue so is it bad splicing or bargain basket PON kit. Brand new plant shouldn't be disappointing like that.

It's most likely bad splicing, PON transceiver transmits at +3dBm, from my experience they have an extremely low failure rate and they should have been tested when they were installed also and I've not seen any fail after install yet either.

It does beg the questions is any testing done after the splicing is completed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wonder where do these plans fit into the scheme of things as described above

https://business.eir.ie/super-fast-fibre/

or maybe a 10Gb/s symmetric connection :)

https://business.eir.ie/product/next-generation-connectivity/#tab-3

That says the normal BB T&C's apply. If it's not unlimited I'm actually going to fucking bill Eir for wasting my time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This is for the 1000mb service yes, it's called "Business Advantage Boost - 1GB" I wish it was a "1GB" connection, haha. But that is how they have it written, this is the one that is 1gb / 1000mb download, and I'm assuming 100mb upload but I actually don't know yet.

Its this package right? 1000/100 it seems
    427437.jpg

...now, do you have to be a business to order a business package? :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement