Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jgbyr wrote: »
    "Eir's full year earnings up by 4%"
    https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2017/0913/904309-eir-full-year-results/

"We have passed 1.7 million premises with fibre, and are on track to pass 300,000 rural premises with fibre to the home by December 2017,"

Someone got it wrong ? 2018?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

The Cush wrote: »
    Haven't come across anyone posting in that situation. They are rolling fibre in my area at the moment and they have placed splice boxes close to the exchange, in an FTTC area capable of in excess of 30Mbps.

I had FTTC - The cabinet was in the exchange - I am about 1km from the exchange and was getting speeds of 30Mb down and 8Mb up. I am now on FTTH on the 150mb package. I'm the first house nearest the village on our road so was probably extremely lucky that they started the FTTH rollout at my house .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Got the eir letter in the door stating that FTTH is now available..
    Problem is, it is a year too early...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Tweaky wrote: »
    I had FTTC - The cabinet was in the exchange - I am about 1km from the exchange and was getting speeds of 30Mb down and 8Mb up. I am now on FTTH on the 150mb package. I'm the first house nearest the village on our road so was probably extremely lucky that they started the FTTH rollout at my house .
    Hopefully the guy 1 house beyond the end of the fibre run feeding your house isn't on here
    ...or there be war like..:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Have you contacted open eir? It's a complete waste of time contacting eir retail; it's not their network (as fond as they are of telling people on the doorsteps that it is).

Yeah I have contacted both.Went to Eir first and was onto Open Eir since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Got the eir letter in the door stating that FTTH is now available..
    Problem is, it is a year too early...

It all adds up to premises passed would be my guess, similar boat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

I got a install date of 4 October but couldn't go through because it would cease my phone line.They said there no broadband only package and would have to get phone as well guess i be on the voip.I have to wait closer to the date before I order.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    I got a install date of 4 October but couldn't go through because it would cease my phone line.They said there no broadband only package and would have to get phone as well guess i be on the voip.I have to wait closer to the date before I order.

who told you that? Plenty of people around here ordered FTTH and it didn't cease their phoneline and had no loss of service. I ordered the FTTH only product through the Eir website, have FTTH without any phone.

edit: just after looking at the Eir website and the broadband only page now just shows FTTC, did they get rid of the FTTH only option?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,902 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

if you have a monitored alarm you can keep your phone line, they don't need any proof that you actually have a monitored alarm

Gonzo wrote: »
    who told you that? Plenty of people around here ordered FTTH and it didn't cease their phoneline and had no loss of service. I ordered the FTTH only product through the Eir website, have FTTH without any phone.

edit: just after looking at the Eir website and the broadband only page now just shows FTTC, did they get rid of the FTTH only option?
    I think might because im on broadband only then again im not pretty sure on this.

• Advertisement

Digiweb and eir and pure telecom gave me the same date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I think might because im on broadband only then again im not pretty sure on this.

Difficult to understand ....... do you have separate providers for broadband and phone?

You can keep your copper line if you wish, as far as I am aware, while getting FTTH installed.

Difficult to understand ....... do you have separate providers for broadband and phone?

You can keep your copper line if you wish, as far as I am aware, while getting FTTH installed.
    The just said I couldn't go through with it because my line could get cut off so I said leave it to closer to the date

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Anyone know roughly what's the time frame for cabling to actually start once an area has been surveyed. There were a couple of guys in the area recently checking the old eircom manholes & they just said it's all moving fast enough. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Probably pushing existing copper lines over to VoBB because of this 6 month wholesale promotion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104518507#post104518507

Open-eir wholesale promotion in effect since July 1st for a period of 6 months. Each existing copper-line telephone subscriber that a retailer migrates over to VoIP/VoBB is worth €100 wholesale credit plus the relevant connection/migration fee that is applicable at the time of the order for each line migrated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

The Cush wrote: »
    Probably pushing existing copper lines over to VoBB because of this 6 month wholesale promotion

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=104518507#post104518507

Open-eir wholesale promotion in effect since July 1st for a period of 6 months. Each existing copper-line telephone subscriber that a retailer migrates over to VoIP/VoBB is worth €100 wholesale credit plus the relevant connection/migration fee that is applicable at the time of the order for each line migrated.

In theory could digiweb do the install then for €99 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Picky owner

Was due to get installation for FTTH but KN group could not do it,problem with the duct and overhead install was out of the question.They said I would have to run a new duct up my driveway to the road.To say I know nothing about doing this is an understatement,who would you get to this kind of job,what materials would you need,any advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 510 ✭✭✭westyIrl

Was due to get installation for FTTH but KN group could not do it,problem with the duct and overhead install was out of the question.They said I would have to run a new duct up my driveway to the road.To say I know nothing about doing this is an understatement,who would you get to this kind of job,what materials would you need,any advice would be greatly appreciated,thanks.

I believe 37mm diameter is the spec for the ducting (but double check with OpenEir), so thats really the only materials. A local contractor/builder with a mini digger for few hours is usually the easiest route, or such was the case for me.

However, cost all depends on what surface you have on your drive (tarmacadam, concrete, loose chips??) and to reinstate that.

Also, are you urban or rural? Usually a lot more difficult in urban areas....footpaths etc. It's important to know what services may be already buried in your drive prior to any trench excavation (electric, gas, water, sewage, phoneline).

Also, just to avoid unnecessary work, did they specify exactly what was wrong with the duct and where? I assume blocked but if near to house a more 'clinical' approach might save a lot of the above work. Sometimes, on older installations in particular that I've seen, the ducting finished at or near the outside wall of the house and just the cable was fed through the wall. KN will say blocked ducting but I wouldn't go digging up any driveways etc. if this was the case. I'd wonder how many of these ducts on failed installs are indeed collapsed/damaged ducts rather than just not being complete end to end ducts (or are narrowed down entering the premises)

Jim

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Can you trace existing cable?. Any of it in grass?

garroff wrote: »
    Can you trace existing cable?. Any of it in grass?

Good thinking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Got the letter in the door aswell today. Went to the checker online and it says not available. I presume I ring to sign up and wait a few months until it's actually available?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Will KN trace and mark existing route?

TheBazman wrote: »
    Got the letter in the door aswell today. Went to the checker online and it says not available. I presume I ring to sign up and wait a few months until it's actually available?

Anything I've read on the forums suggests it's better to wait until it is actually available and then order. Any splice box on the pole near your house or neighbours with the service?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

My FTTH appointment is this Friday. Went out to the ETU to pull the copper line to check it was free in the duct that goes to the pole and no budging. Fished a wire down there until it stopped and then pulled the wire out and laid it on the ground. The wire length luckily stopped in the garden on grass. Got the shovel out and started digging. Found damage to conduit caused by the guys that put our tarmac down. Good news now is phone line is free to move again and the hole in the garden is a half way point between the ETU and the pole so hopefully fingers crossed fishing the fibre cable goes smoothly now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

vintagevrs wrote: »
    My FTTH appointment is this Friday. Went out to the ETU to pull the copper line to check it was free in the duct that goes to the pole and no budging. Fished a wire down there until it stopped and then pulled the wire out and laid it on the ground. The wire length luckily stopped in the garden on grass. Got the shovel out and started digging. Found damage to conduit caused by the guys that put our tarmac down. Good news now is phone line is free to move again and the hole in the garden is a half way point between the ETU and the pole so hopefully fingers crossed fishing the fibre cable goes smoothly now.

You are an installers wet dream.

ED E wrote: »
    You are an installers wet dream.

Haha,

Well otherwise it would fail as doubt he has a shovel. Try to make their job easy though and hopefully they'll accommodate me too with the installation.

My ETU is in a bad place so hopefully they'll sick with it and sort something tidy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Has anyone on here had bother logging into the My Eir app, I have been onto Eir on boards and they cant seem to solve it. It works fine on browser.

westyIrl wrote: »
    Anything I've read on the forums suggests it's better to wait until it is actually available and then order. Any splice box on the pole near your house or neighbours with the service?

Not that I can see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Rob 808 what exchange area and county do you live in.

In the Inch St Lawernce Limerick area my line was open for orders on the Eir.ie website. I ordered the upgrade through web chat on the Eir website last Monday evening. Got a phone call from Eir to tell me that it would be the 4th October before they can do the install. It has to be singed off by Comreg. I saw another house near Caherconlish in my exchange area already has an ftth connection. But it is on a different trunk line and is marked green on the map on fibrerollout.ie as on the 15 August last. Due for another update now???

• Advertisement

TheBazman wrote: »

So I rang to see what the story was....and apparently the letter was a miscommunication and they can't tell me when fibre will be available. What a company!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Picky owner

westyIrl wrote:
    I believe 37mm diameter is the spec for the ducting (but double check with OpenEir), so thats really the only materials. A local contractor/builder with a mini digger for few hours is usually the easiest route, or such was the case for me.

Thanks,for the info,house is 12 years old,living in the country,never had a phone line installed,would I need to get wiring for the duct are do you just put a rope through it,thanks again.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Rob 808 what exchange area and county do you live in.

In the Inch St Lawernce Limerick area my line was open for orders on the Eir.ie website. I ordered the upgrade through web chat on the Eir website last Monday evening. Got a phone call from Eir to tell me that it would be the 4th October before they can do the install. It has to be singed off by Comreg. I saw another house near Caherconlish in my exchange area already has an ftth connection. But it is on a different trunk line and is marked green on the map on fibrerollout.ie as on the 15 August last. Due for another update now???
    Im in Summerhill co meath with the same date of 4 of October.

Thanks,for the info,house is 12 years old,living in the country,never had a phone line installed,would I need to get wiring for the duct are do you just put a rope through it,thanks again.

Just put a rope through it, should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 whiteRascal

Hope this is the right thread to post this.

On the National Broadband Plan Map is it only the houses within the Light Blue areas that will be getting FTTH in the 2018 rollout?

Our home/business is right on the edge, about 30-40m from the light blue shaded area, so does this mean we are completely out of luck?
    Or could we get our place connected some way?

There must be someone we can contact to about this.
    Or is it the case where no house or business outside this blue area will be connected no matter if there will to pay Openeir or not?

The url to the map I've been using is below

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you

Hope this is the right thread to post this.

On the National Broadband Plan Map is it only the houses within the Light Blue areas that will be getting FTTH in the 2018 rollout?

Our home/business is right on the edge, about 30-40m from the light blue shaded area, so does this mean we are completely out of luck?
    Or could we get our place connected some way?

There must be someone we can contact to about this.
    Or is it the case where no house or business outside this blue area will be connected no matter if there will to pay Openeir or not?

The url to the map I've been using is below

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Any help would be much appreciated.
    Thank you
    The best thing to do is email open eir fibrepower@openeir.ie with your Eir code and see if they can extend it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 whiteRascal

The best thing to do is email open eir fibrepower@openeir.ie with your Eir code and see if they can extend it.

Is there no body else you can contact about this? Either way I'll give that a go, cheers for the reply.

Is there no body else you can contact about this? Either way I'll give that a go, cheers for the reply.
    It open eir network there is a number but it only for appointments for installs.They either extend it or won't you'll be left waiting on NBP.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭ah,sure

I posted here, probably in early July, about being thwarted by eir when I went looking for FTTH. My area had been green-lit but my new build wasn't part of the 300,000 rollout. Well, today they came and installed. Power of social media!

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

i have the router upstairs 7mtrs from the ONT using cat5e cable and I am losing 33% download speed , have run a second cable is case first was faulty or connections giving problems but exactly the same loss , has anyone else come across this ?????

addict wrote: »
    i have the router upstairs 7mtrs from the ONT using cat5e cable and I am losing 33% download speed , have run a second cable is case first was faulty or connections giving problems but exactly the same loss , has anyone else come across this ?????

When you say 33% do you mean going from 140 odd to 90 odd?

If so, your crimping/cabling isnt very good and its dropping back to 10/100 mode.

• Advertisement

When you say 33% do you mean going from 140 odd to 90 odd?

If so, your crimping/cabling isnt very good and its dropping back to 10/100 mode.

Yes dropping from 150 odd to 98-115

First off, make sure that whatever device you are testing speed with is capable of >100Mb speeds (sounds like you have that done) and that it is wired to router (not wireless)

After move router down back down beside ONT and use a cat5e patch lead to test with. That should let you know where your problem lies.

Jim

Yes dropping from 150 odd to 98-115

Grab a flashlight and have a close look at the terminations, you'll probably find a short wire or two.

westyIrl wrote: »
    First off, make sure that whatever device you are testing speed with is capable of >100Mb speeds (sounds like you have that done) and that it is wired to router (not wireless)

After move router down back down beside ONT and use a cat5e patch lead to test with. That should let you know where your problem lies.

Jim

Already tested back at ONT using patch and speed steady between 159-168

Grab a flashlight and have a close look at the terminations, you'll probably find a short wire or two.

All ends trimmed same length before pushing into plug and all ends showing even , starting to think faulty cable itself , will have to run another length of different supplier is next step

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,583 ✭✭✭savemejebus

Hope it's ok to ask here, but what size conduit should be put down to ensure that (if fibre comes to an area) that it will be installed ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Hope it's ok to ask here, but what size conduit should be put down to ensure that (if fibre comes to an area) that it will be installed ok.

The requirement is 37mm I.D. (1½" heavy gauge hydrodare) or 50mm PVC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

All ends trimmed same length before pushing into plug and all ends showing even , starting to think faulty cable itself , will have to run another length of different supplier is next step
    Which wiring standard did you use? Any chance you have a pair crossed?
    Gigabit is fussy!

niallb wrote: »
    Which wiring standard did you use? Any chance you have a pair crossed?
    Gigabit is fussy!

None crossed as tested all correct , wiring cat5e ISO 11801 4pr 24AWG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Already was an Eir customer - looking at my first bill since my FTTH install and it includes a €100 installation fee :eek:
    Fibre Broadband Installation Fee -- Period: 31-Aug-17 -- Amount: 100.00

What the hell is that all about? :confused:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement