Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gwynston wrote: »
    Already was an Eir customer - looking at my first bill since my FTTH install and it includes a €100 installation fee :eek:

What the hell is that all about? :confused:

ring them, there should be no installation fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

addict wrote: »
    None crossed as tested all correct, wiring cat5e ISO 11801 4pr 24AWG

If your residential customer, the speeds are upto the package you selected.

So if you're on the 150mb package your speeds can be anywhere from 0mb - 150mb, that is if you're talking about 33% loss of download speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Already was an Eir customer - looking at my first bill since my FTTH install and it includes a €100 installation fee :eek:

I checked my first bill and it had the € 100 fee on it but it also had an installation fee discount of € 100 further down the page

100 Euro Installation fee discount -100.00

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Did they also migrate your phoneline over to VoIP/VoBB also? If so they, eir, get a wholesale discount of €100 plus free transfer of line from open-eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Tweaky wrote: »
    I checked my first bill and it had the € 100 fee on it but it also had an installation fee discount of € 100 further down the page

100 Euro Installation fee discount -100.00

I don't have that, so I guess it's an oversight?
    I need to call them.
    The Cush wrote: »
    Did they also migrate your phoneline over to VoIP/VoBB also? If so they, eir, get a wholesale discount of €100 plus free transfer of line from open-eir.
    Nope - phone is still using the old copper line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Good luck calling them.

Got a text this morning saying to contact them about the account, our install date was now the 12th of October. Passed from pillar to post for a half an hour before and after this information trying to get the contact info or a call back from the regional sales manager who called out to us and mis-sold / misinformed us was like pulling teeth.

Had to confirm info several times, our account didn't actually exist, we weren't saying our full address (a weird one), etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

raydator wrote: »

So if you're on the 150mb package your speeds can be anywhere from 0mb - 150mb, that is if you're talking about 33% loss of download speed.

That's not the case for addict. They are getting their full speed at the point of entry. There's a loss on the cat5 between it and upstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

raydator wrote: »

Only talking about 33% loss over cat5 run to upstairs Service is steady at 159-166 odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

another length of different supplier is next step

Yup. Sounds like its mostly alu.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Yup. Sounds like its mostly alu.

Faulty cat5e cable got another roll and it's perfect , never came across faulty cat5 before but then again it would only show up in 10/1000 connections and not 10/100

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

None crossed as tested all correct , wiring cat5e ISO 11801 4pr 24AWG
    ISO11801 is a cable type rather than a wiring standard, and it's the right kind of cable.
    I meant did you use EIA/TIA 568B/A to select the order of the colours.

Just ruling out how the pairs are placed in your cabling.
    If you had 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 you'd see a drop in reliability at gigabit just like this.
    The order needs to be more like 1,2,3,5,6,4,7,8 because pins 3 and 6 must use a twisted pair. At short lengths and slower speeds it will mostly work, but with gigabit it's important to get that right.

niallb wrote: »
    ISO11801 is a cable type rather than a wiring standard, and it's the right kind of cable.
    I meant did you use EIA/TIA 568B/A to select the order of the colours.

Just ruling out how the pairs are placed in your cabling.
    If you had 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8 you'd see a drop in reliability at gigabit just like this.
    The order needs to be more like 1,2,3,5,6,4,7,8 because pins 3 and 6 must use a twisted pair. At short lengths and slower speeds it will mostly work, but with gigabit it's important to get that right.

Faulty cable and it was wired correct but thanks for taking time to help , all good now with another roll of cable

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Eh gringo!

Hi
    We are due to be FTTH enabled on the 4th of October.
    I have got a mail from an Eir sales Rep online offering me a package for 50 euro a month for 12 months with the up to 150Mbps plan which also has free anytime all mobile,national irish & UK calls.
    Then yesterday evening an Eir REp call to my house offering the same deal for 55 euro a month for 12 months.
    What is the best deals people have got so far from Eir or any other supplier.
    Any input would be great?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Eh gringo! wrote: »
    Hi
    We are due to be FTTH enabled on the 4th of October.
    I have got a mail from an Eir sales Rep online offering me a package for 50 euro a month for 12 months with the up to 150Mbps plan which also has free anytime all mobile,national irish & UK calls.
    Then yesterday evening an Eir REp call to my house offering the same deal for 55 euro a month for 12 months.
    What is the best deals people have got so far from Eir or any other supplier.
    Any input would be great?

What exchange area and county do you live in? I live in the Inch St Lawernce Limerick area although there is Ftth lines live in my area my road is due to be live on the same day, 4th October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Jpmarn wrote: »
    What exchange area and county do you live in? I live in the Inch St Lawernce Limerick area although there is Ftth lines live in my area my road is due to be live on the same day, 4th October.
    Jpmarn could you order FTTH of Eir or any other isp.

• Advertisement

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Jpmarn could you order FTTH of Eir or any other isp.sorry double post

In longford, Crochan .
    Did you get any deals offered to you??

FTTH install appointment today.... engineer didn't show or call me. Also got two letters today with confirmation of my DD mandate. Two letters identical apart from account number. Looks like I am going to get charged for two accounts. Called Eir and the girl didn't have a clue. So going to leave it and see if I do get debited twice.

Not a great start to being a new Eir customer.

where is this ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Rob 808 and to anybody who is concerned. I actually ordered mine through web chat on Eir.ie. it was stated on the website that it was available to my Eircode. An Eir salesman called to my brother just about 300 meters away and my sister who lives nearby yesterday evening. So they seem to be around in my locality.

• Advertisement

FTTH installed today. Installer was a gentleman and did a good job. 150 down and 30 up compared with the adsl which was 2 down and 128 up.

Stuff now works!! Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

vintagevrs wrote: »
    FTTH installed today. Installer was a gentleman and did a good job. 150 down and 30 up compared with the adsl which was 2 down and 128 up.

Feels like the day we went from Dial Up to the whopping 1Mb of initial ADSL. Life changer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

vintagevrs wrote: »

How did you get on getting the connection from your ETU to the room you wanted. Did it go outside ??

Yeah cable comes out of the ETU along the wall externally. Then inside to the house where I had a number of cat6 cables sitting. When he was ready to go just plugged one of these into the new box and put the f2000 on the other end upstairs. Unplugged my adsl router and connected the f2000 to my switch and the house is now flying along.
    Remote nas and CCTV works as it should. Number of things now to set up as I like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Just got a bill for my old eir account, I thought they cancelled this when I upgraded to FTTH, has anyone had this problem?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Got FTTH installed this week, 2 KN guys turned up bright and early, unfortunately duct down to road was blocked, but guys agreed to go to next job while we dug up and unblocked duct, well did that but it was just one blockage after the other and KN boys were back after 20 mins as the other job was a bust,
    Luckily I had a roll of 1/2inch water pipe on hand and was able to run that up to the shed (about a 80m run), they were happy to use this and got it all sorted, Had the Shed wired for Cat6 so was able to put router into the house, The KN guys were very good and really went out of their way to make sure the install happened, Speeds are excellent. If your getting it installed make sure you figure out a couple of different install options before they arrive and if necessary have spare ducting there that can be used if current duct is blocked. ( we had asked the builder providers if we could return it if not used)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cirod

Hey,
    I have a duct running under my tarmac from side of house to pole on other side of my road (40m). It has been there for about 10 years and I have a 'fish line' in it since then. Do you think I should pull through a new fish line to try free any potential blockages or would my current fish line that's in the duct do for the KN guys to pull through their cable through?
    Thanks

So got to play with network a bit last night. Have my NAS and CCTV set up for remote access. Also changed wireless settings as we have more than one access point. Now I have just two ssids across the house, one for 5g and the other for 2.4. I had tried using the same ssid for for both bands hoping devices would use 5g where available but wasn't really working well.

Just did a speedtest on my mobile and the kids are watching Netflix at the same time. Its a great job.

Screenshot_20170917-085625.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭darth_maul

Cirod wrote: »
    Hey,
    I have a duct running under my tarmac from side of house to pole on other side of my road (40m). It has been there for about 10 years and I have a 'fish line' in it since then. Do you think I should pull through a new fish line to try free any potential blockages or would my current fish line that's in the duct do for the KN guys to pull through their cable through?
    Thanks
    The boys that came out to us said that they had very little success with fish lines, that much rather use the fish tape (rods).

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

I would try a 6mm poly rope.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 Cirod

darth_maul wrote: »
    The boys that came out to us said that they had very little success with fish lines, that much rather use the fish tape (rods).

I actually those anyway and managed to get them changed this morning. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi all

Have a few questions if anyone could help,

KN have been around putting in new ducting and lines for the last few weeks, now I seen Eir connecting up the cables on the poles that the KN lads left,

All normal enough but the are using these large black boxes on each pole,

Can someone explain what Eir are rolling out is it Fiber to the home or fiber to a cabinet and then VDSL to the house??

Is there anyway to see what I am likely to get, when the installed my phone line the ran a line from a pole down the road to another pole and then in so at a guess there is over 150m of normal copper to my house, is this going to be replaced with fiber/coax

We only get 4meg here as we are a good distance out of town, so any improvement will be great, the roll out site says I should have 30-1000meg(big difference) in the first half of 2018,

If there connecting it all up now is there going to be a 9 month wait,

Sorry for all the questions I don't know much about fiber,

eiei0 wrote: »
    All normal enough but the are using these large black boxes on each pole,

Can someone explain what Eir are rolling out is it Fiber to the home or fiber to a cabinet and then VDSL to the house??

Fibre to the home (FTTH). 3M BPEO Splice Closures/Boxes on the poles.
    http://solutions.3m.co.uk/wps/portal/3M/en_GB/structured-cabling/-/products/fibre-cabling/fibre-optic-splice-closures/bpeo-splice-closures/

SAM_0321.jpg

3m_bpeo.jpg BEPO_Size_1.jpg

Is there anyway to see what I am likely to get, when the installed my phone line the ran a line from a pole down the road to another pole and then in so at a guess there is over 150m of normal copper to my house, is this going to be replaced with fiber/coax

We only get 4meg here as we are a good distance out of town, so any improvement will be great, the roll out site says I should have 30-1000meg(big difference) in the first half of 2018,

If there connecting it all up now is there going to be a 9 month wait,

If your eircode/house is on eir's 300k commercial FTTH rollout up to 1Gb connection speed will be available to you with the option of 3 Fibre-extreme packages - 150/300/1000 Mbps - and available from the providers here with a house icon next to their company name - http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/. Availability to you will depend on when your route goes live.

The cable is fibre optic (see pic below), they won't be removing the existing copper cabling just yet but that is the long term plan. They may or may not transfer your phone line over to VoIP/VoBB (delivered via FTTH) at install, your existing phone service over copper may be left in place, it varies according to posts here.

DSC_0039.jpg

Disassembled offcut of the cable, 36 Fibre (3x12)
    untitled1.jpg

Outer sheath on the left
    2 fibre tubes (blue & green)
    3 strands of yarn as strength member
    1 fibre tube (orange) followed by the 12 strands of fibre from that tube, in no particular order, - turquoise, violet, orange, brown, red, blue, pink, grey, black, yellow, green, white

Hi Thanks for a great detailed reply, yes my house is on a yellow line and it has a blue dot so hopefully soon we will be live,

Been out for a walk to see what's on the poles and I'm a bit concerned now, there is 2 poles they could feed me from and neither have a long loop of cable left to tie into the splice box,

There is none for next door either, the next 2 houses down have them,

Is this something I should be worried about they hardly are going to skip certain houses are they??

How many homes can the do on the one splice??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

How many homes can the do on the one splice??
    Four from each box, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 290 ✭✭ACLFC7

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Meath – 5210

Athboy – 547 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Ceanannus – 589 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Dunderry – 23 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Dunshaughlin – 584 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Enfield – 647 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Julianstown – 518 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Kilsharvan – 23 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Navan – 125 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Newtown – 9 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Ratoath – 126 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Summerhill – 462 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Tara – 350 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Trim – 617 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

Wilkinstown – 590 premises can now access broadband speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s.

how real are these numbers? Some of the above exchanges aren't even live yet for FTTH such as Tara?

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »
    Four from each box, I think.

A lot more if required, a box in my area has 14 slots for drop cables, although looking at the rollout here they will be servicing no more than 6-8 houses per box.

DSC_0042.jpg

Their plan is to have a box within 150m of a potential subscriber (3 poles), they have run drop cables 200m (4 poles) according to posts here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

ACLFC7 wrote: »
    Tipperary – 346

Standard enough really.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Meath – 5210

how real are these numbers? Some of the above exchanges aren't even live yet for FTTH such as Tara?
    well going by open Eir map 90 have FTTH in summerhill.my area going live 4 October I can order but gona wait closer to the date.The 462 figure seem strange but guess there counting people that can order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Gonzo wrote: »
    Meath – 5210

For certain areas there are now three conflicting numbers all coming from the same organisation. For example:

Wilkinstown in Meath, 590 on this press release, 190 on http:www.openeir.ie/Our_Network (updated Friday 15th September), and none (all blue icons) on the fibrerollout map also updated on Friday 15th.

It's like there are different sections updating different documents with no communication between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

The Cush wrote: »
    A lot more if required, a box in my area has 14 slots for drop cables, although looking at the rollout here they will be servicing no more than 6-8 houses per box.

Their plan is to have a box within 150m of a potential subscriber (3 poles), they have run drop cables 200m (4 poles) according to posts here.
    I presumed that the 8x and 4x split idea meant that the boxes outside houses wouldn't have more than 4 subscribers. But, I suppose they have the flexibility to mix it up other ways. I presume they are still sticking with no more than 32 subscribers per strand, or could there be more than 32? That would be slightly worrying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I presumed that the 8x and 4x split idea meant that the boxes outside houses wouldn't have more than 4 subscribers. But, I suppose they have the flexibility to mix it up other ways. I presume they are still sticking with no more than 32 subscribers per strand, or could there be more than 32? That would be slightly worrying.

It was indicated to me some time ago that the 8 might become 10 in some circumstances .... but I got the impression that this would be unusual.

• Advertisement

I think the splitting is confusing you somewhat. Imagine one cable with 32 individual fibre strands coming from the exchange. Feed it into a 1:8 splitter. On the output of the splitter you now have 256 strands available so you need 8 of your original cables. Then feed these into 1:4 splitters and you have 1024 strands available on the outputs so you need 32 of your original cables. Each of these 32 cables could be terminated in 32 spice boxes with 32 strands available in each box.

For certain areas there are now three conflicting numbers all coming from the same organisation. For example:

Wilkinstown in Meath, 590 on this press release, 190 on http:www.openeir.ie/Our_Network (updated Friday 15th September), and none (all blue icons) on the fibrerollout map also updated on Friday 15th.

It's like there are different sections updating different documents with no communication between them.

Does any of the exchanges have updated numbers on either map?

Does any of the exchanges have updated numbers on either map?

Sorry I don't understand the question.

Sorry I don't understand the question.

(Sorry, I worded that badly). The fibrerollout map now says its been updated on 15/09 but every exchange that I'm familiar with seems to have the exact same numbers as it did last month.

Have any of the exchanges been updated with the new numbers?

(Sorry, I worded that badly). The fibrerollout map now says its been updated on 15/09 but every exchange that I'm familiar with seems to have the exact same numbers as it did last month.

Have any of the exchanges been updated with the new numbers?

I get you now. Per my earlier example. Wilkinstown went from 40 premises to 190 on both http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ and http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map. They both use the same data source for the numbers. It just appears that they did not bother changing the blue house icons to green for enabled premises on the fibrerollout map.

Lots of other areas had increased numbers also. You can see the updates in the tracker. Anything under August 17 would be from this latest update.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement