Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

What is the round one on the right for??
    The Cush wrote: »

SAM_0321.jpg

How do you see exchange numbers ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

A lot more if required, a box in my area has 14 slots for drop cables, although looking at the rollout here they will be servicing no more than 6-8 houses per box.

Their plan is to have a box within 150m of a potential subscriber (3 poles), they have run drop cables 200m (4 poles) according to posts here.

Its based on old plant, most DPs have 5 or less, in areas with terraces of small houses you might get 8 at most.
    plodder wrote: »
    I presumed that the 8x and 4x split idea meant that the boxes outside houses wouldn't have more than 4 subscribers. But, I suppose they have the flexibility to mix it up other ways. I presume they are still sticking with no more than 32 subscribers per strand, or could there be more than 32? That would be slightly worrying.
    31+1. Doubt they'll breach that.

eiei0 wrote: »
    POTS, copper cable terminations.

Techs call em "Potheads" but its nothing to do with weed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

In terms of the installs of FTTH which goes the smoothest, lines that come in overhead from a pole or through ducts. I believe my line is coming in off a pole to the gable end of my house and I am hoping this will help the install and not hinder it. Am I correct?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »
    Techs call em "Potheads" but its nothing to do with weed :D

Also been told they're called copper/fibre work points or aggregation nodes. That particular one was installed over 2 years ago at a road junction. It can handle both copper and fibre cable. At the time is was installed we speculated it was going to be used as a future fibre splitter to 2 roads but recently a 3M splitter was installed above it.

Also been told they're called copper/fibre work points or nodes. That particular one was installed over 2 years ago at a road junction. It can handle both copper and fibre cable. At the time is was installed we speculated it was going to be used as a future fibre splitter to 2 roads but recently a 3M splitter was installed above it.
    I see the one in the photo you linked has a laser warning sticker, but the one above does not so I'm guessing it's just POTS.

I see the one in the photo you linked has a laser warning sticker, but the one above does not so I'm guessing it's just POTS.

It's the same one, the sunlight is just obscuring the laser sticker.

sean72 wrote: »
    In terms of the installs of FTTH which goes the smoothest, lines that come in overhead from a pole or through ducts. I believe my line is coming in off a pole to the gable end of my house and I am hoping this will help the install and not hinder it. Am I correct?

Shouldn't matter in either case, the question is how will they run your cable from the gable end, through the attic or externally to a point where it enters the house. Can you help them out by having a hole drilled on the gable end so they can run the cable through the attic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

How do you see exchange numbers ???

http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/Rural-Exchange-Timeline-24-April-2017.pdf

This is the most up to date plan of the eir 300,000 rollout.

For current passed premises go to http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map , zoom in to whatever exchange, click "All" under Exchange Status. Then click on the green or blue icon and you should get a popup with the exchange info.

Alternatively just use the tracker:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-Q5HRZo02c1AZWfYMJlEXPMkRhb5iUIJyhssXQwq87I/htmlview

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

I think the splitting is confusing you somewhat. Imagine one cable with 32 individual fibre strands coming from the exchange. Feed it into a 1:8 splitter. On the output of the splitter you now have 256 strands available so you need 8 of your original cables. Then feed these into 1:4 splitters and you have 1024 strands available on the outputs so you need 32 of your original cables. Each of these 32 cables could be terminated in 32 spice boxes with 32 strands available in each box.
    Thanks, that makes sense of course.

Shouldn't matter in either case, the question is how will they run your cable from the gable end, through the attic or externally to a point where it enters the house. Can you help them out by having a hole drilled on the gable end so they can run the cable through the attic?

I know this might be to my advantage but would they expect customers to start drilling holes in preparation for them coming? Is this not just part of the install? I wouldn't have the drill bit capable of it anyway.

I know this might be to my advantage but would they expect customers to start drilling holes in preparation for them coming? Is this not just part of the install? I wouldn't have the drill bit capable of it anyway.
    In that case it'll probably depend on the installer, some are more helpful than others, some may go through the attic others may not.

In that case it'll probably depend on the installer, some are more helpful than others, some may go through the attic others may not.

Thanks....They will need to go through the wall somewhere I am assuming to get the line in the house. So some prefer not to go in the loft? Maybe I will through him a few quid cash :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

There's an Eir rep in Kilmessan right now taking orders for 4th October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

There was an Eir PR person on The Pat Kenny Show this morning talking about the roll out and also the NBP. No podcast or playback clip available on the Newstalk website yet (that I can see anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

niallb wrote: »
    There's an Eir rep in Kilmessan right now taking orders for 4th October.
    Did you order niallb,Im down for 4 of October live date to :).

No. Not going live on 4th in Kiltale or Dunsany according to the rep. Just Kilmessan village.

• Advertisement

No. Not going live on 4th in Kiltale or Dunsany according to the rep. Just Kilmessan village.
    The only way to know when kiltale going live is email open eir they give you accurate enough date.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Open Eir told me end of December. I went live last week and the service was available to me for the last month or so. About two weeks after Eir retail said it would go live.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    Open Eir told me end of December. I went live last week and the service was available to me for the last month or so. About two weeks after Eir retail said it would go live.
    well I guess there not perfect.They said to me first december to then ask few weeks later and then said October. I ask three isp and got the 4 October not to bad but I'll like FTTH now looking forward to having fast broadband.

Who would you email to see when an area is going to be live???

Who would you email to see when an area is going to be live???
    fibrepower@openeir.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Did he have any idea of a date for Kiltale Niall? See them still working away there at the weekends as well. No splice boxes yet though....

• Advertisement

Didn't ask. I wasn't talking to him directly, and wouldn't have believed any date a salesman gave me anyway!

rob808 wrote: »
    well I guess there not perfect.They said to me first december to then ask few weeks later and then said October. I ask three isp and got the 4 October not to bad but I'll like FTTH now looking forward to having fast broadband.

Yeah fair enough, I would say take any dates as a rough guide as best. Hopefully it comes soon enough for ye.

A lot more if required, a box in my area has 14 slots for drop cables, although looking at the rollout here they will be servicing no more than 6-8 houses per box.

DSC_0042.jpg

Their plan is to have a box within 150m of a potential subscriber (3 poles), they have run drop cables 200m (4 poles) according to posts here.

I live 450m from the exchange thats due to be activated (in the next month or so) the weird thing is that I can't see any of the above boxes on the poles between me and the exchange. I see them further down the road either side of the exchange but not between me and it. Its obviously not just my house, there are a reasonable amount of houses (the most densely populated part of a very rural area, 20 houses). Is this because we are so near the exchange?

I live 450m from the exchange thats due to be activated (in the next month or so) the weird thing is that I can't see any of the above boxes on the poles between me and the exchange. I see them further down the road either side of the exchange but not between me and it. Its obviously not just my house, there are a reasonable amount of houses (the most densely populated part of a very rural area, 20 houses). Is this because we are so near the exchange?

Yeah I would say so. Your current speeds are probably reasonable?

Yeah I would say so. Your current speeds are probably reasonable?

Our area only has wireless broadband providers at present so 8mb down - 1mb up. This will be my first experience of wired/fibre broadband :)

• Advertisement

450m from an exchange and no BB? Seems strange that. I would have thought ADSL would give you 8Mb no prob, and ADSL2 over 20mb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭BandMember

Our area only has wireless broadband providers at present so 8mb down - 1mb up. This will be my first experience of wired/fibre broadband :)

Fixed that for you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

FTTH Gorey, Co.Wexford. speed test.

5KbVDWZ.png

450m from an exchange and no BB? Seems strange that. I would have thought ADSL would give you 8Mb no prob, and ADSL2 over 20mb?

Id guess its an old phone only MSAN. They'll add one VDSL rack to cover you potentially and start the FTTH at 1km out or more.

Id guess its an old phone only MSAN. They'll add one VDSL rack to cover you potentially and start the FTTH at 1km out or more.

I get confused with cabinets and exchanges etc, I think I should have said cabinet that is what it says on the FTTH map legend. All I can say is that we do not have wired broadband in our very remote area of any sort. Roll on FTTH! I just hope it works out given some of the experiences shared on here. My own brother in the hills of Donegal has had 3 cancelations for his install already.

Complete ignorance here but will 1000mb/s (or up there) be obtainable, I thought VDSL couldn't achieve anywhere near those speeds? You'll see in my previous post I corrected that I live 450m from the cabinet not the exchange.....

I thought that anyone living along the 'yellow line' would be able to get up to 1000mb/s based on how much they wanted to pay?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Complete ignorance here but will 1000mb/s (or up there) be obtainable, I thought VDSL couldn't achieve anywhere near those speeds? You'll see in my previous post I corrected that I live 450m from the cabinet not the exchange.....

I thought that anyone living along the 'yellow line' would be able to get up to 1000mb/s based on how much they wanted to pay?

946mb/s is about the fastest it goes in a real world speed test due to overheads. It is fibre to the home so distance is not important, the only thing that is important is that the FTTH line passes your home with a splice box for you to connect to. Some properties near the start of a yellow line may not be eligible for the service if they are already served by decent VDSL/FTTC.

VDSL/FTTC is a completely different technology, a mixed fibre and copper solution, in Ireland the max that goes is 100mb/s with real world max of 95mb/s during speedtests and be located very close to a cabinet.

I was at the Ploughing today and I noticed at the end of a row close to the VW Experience was serviced for electricity, pothead junction box for phone and a 3M fibre splice box with white/blue stripe ducting attached for blown fibre I believe.

I was at the Ploughing today and I noticed at the end of a row close to the VW Experience was serviced for electricity, pothead junction box for phone and a 3M fibre splice box with white/blue stripe ducting attached for blown fibre I believe.

Openeir are tweeting about their setup.

https://twitter.com/openeir/status/910113652430311424

Gonzo wrote: »
    946mb/s is about the fastest it goes in a real world speed test due to overheads. It is fibre to the home so distance is not important, the only thing that is important is that the FTTH line passes your home with a splice box for you to connect to. Some properties near the start of a yellow line may not be eligible for the service if they are already served by decent VDSL/FTTC.

VDSL/FTTC is a completely different technology, a mixed fibre and copper solution, in Ireland the max that goes is 100mb/s with real world max of 95mb/s during speedtests and be located very close to a cabinet.

I'm getting more confused by the day with this. Yes I live very near the cabinet (450m) but I am almost 100% sure there is no VDSL/FTTC in our area. Is there a way to check all this out for certain, I've done the eir line check thingy and I am sure my neighbour would have mentioned it. I thought that being near the cabinet would be an advantage, I know that 100mb speeds would be amazing but I was kinda going to go all out on this and was hoping for 1000 (900+)! If there is no broadband in the area currently will this be the way they approach the rollout speeds anyway ... those closest houses to the cabinet get a different 'lower' speeds. Or is this just if a current wired broadband service is there?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

A word of caution to anyone upgrading to FTTH. Eir never deactivated my old Eir account after switching to FTTH and I got a bill for it. I got on to Eir and thankfully they removed the charges for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

I live on a FTTH planned route but I live 100m back from the road. The neighbours either side of me are covered but I was not, presumably because I am so far back from the road.

I queried this with Eir and I received the following reply -

"I had one of the network team advise on your situation.

Currently your location is part of the design phase for this area once the design phase completes your location should be included.

Your service provider should advise you once you are in a position to place an order.I would also suggest checking in with your provider for updates."

Obviously I was pleasantly surprised by the reply. I hope they're right.

detective wrote: »
    I live on a FTTH planned route but I live 100m back from the road. The neighbours either side of me are covered but I was not, presumably because I am so far back from the road.

Obviously I was pleasantly surprised by the reply. I hope they're right.

We have seen posts here where certain properties weren't included in the initial 300k rollout plan but were later added, you might be in luck.

I'm getting more confused by the day with this. Yes I live very near the cabinet (450m) but I am almost 100% sure there is no VDSL/FTTC in our area. Is there a way to check all this out for certain, I've done the eir line check thingy and I am sure my neighbour would have mentioned it. I thought that being near the cabinet would be an advantage, I know that 100mb speeds would be amazing but I was kinda going to go all out on this and was hoping for 1000 (900+)! If there is no broadband in the area currently will this be the way they approach the rollout speeds anyway ... those closest houses to the cabinet get a different 'lower' speeds. Or is this just if a current wired broadband service is there?

Enter your Eircode here:

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Post what it says.

Also enter your Eircode here (under Check Rural 300k):

http://fibrerollout.ie

Post what it says.

I'm getting more confused by the day with this. Yes I live very near the cabinet (450m) but I am almost 100% sure there is no VDSL/FTTC in our area. Is there a way to check all this out for certain, I've done the eir line check thingy and I am sure my neighbour would have mentioned it.

What is your local exchange/cabinet. I assume it was one of those few never upgraded for ADSL services? The exchange will likely be upgraded for VDSL as part of the FTTH rollout.

In the process of upgrading a small local exchange for FTTH they run core fibre to it, if it's not already there, from a larger exchange. This is what happened in our area in Summer 2016. In the process VDSL/FTTC went live in August 2016 with FTTH work starting late last year, pole marking/hedge cutting etc. Our exchange did have congested ADSL2+ before core fibre was run but everything was over a wireless point-to-point link that wasn't capable of handling the traffic.
    I get confused with cabinets and exchanges etc, I think I should have said cabinet that is what it says on the FTTH map legend.

You have roadside/street cabinets for FTTC and then you have cabinets in exchanges for eVDSL (exchange launched VDSL), same product basically, some technical differences.

FTTC/VDSL (up to 100 Mbps) speed vs. distance

untitled2.jpg

As posted previously a fibre line running past you house is no guarantee of a FTTH connection and anyone capable of getting at least 30Mbps VDSL over existing copper may not be connected to FTTH, although someone posted recently that they were connected with a copper line capable of 30Mbps.

450m would mean a connection speed of around 90Mbps and would be unlikely to get FTTH for now.
    I thought that being near the cabinet would be an advantage, I know that 100mb speeds would be amazing but I was kinda going to go all out on this and was hoping for 1000 (900+)! If there is no broadband in the area currently will this be the way they approach the rollout speeds anyway ... those closest houses to the cabinet get a different 'lower' speeds. Or is this just if a current wired broadband service is there?

In areas closest to the cabinet/exchange with a dense population it is quicker to rollout hi-speed VDSL broadband via existing copper network and concentrating FTTH rollout on rural areas not capable of VDSL speeds.

From past experience roughly how long after the boxes went up would it be likely to be live,

I asked one of the guys today and he said they were pretty much finished around here, yet openeir say next June???

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

A friend has had a DP outside his house for the best part of a year now, and isn't due to go live until early next year. The DP went up on the nearest pole to me in the last week, so it will be interesting to see how long I'm waiting.

What is your local exchange/cabinet. I assume it was one of those few never upgraded for ADSL services? The exchange will likely be upgraded for VDSL as part of the FTTH rollout.

In the process of upgrading a small local exchange for FTTH they run core fibre to it, if it's not already there, from a larger exchange. This is what happened in our area in Summer 2016. In the process VDSL/FTTC went live in August 2016 with FTTH work starting late last year, pole marking/hedge cutting etc. Our exchange did have congested ADSL2+ before core fibre was run but everything was over a wireless point-to-point link that wasn't capable of handling the traffic.

You have roadside/street cabinets for FTTC and then you have cabinets in exchanges for eVDSL (exchange launched VDSL), same product basically, some technical differences.

FTTC/VDSL (up to 100 Mbps) speed vs. distance

untitled2.jpg

As posted previously a fibre line running past you house is no guarantee of a FTTH connection and anyone capable of getting at least 30Mbps VDSL over existing copper may not be connected to FTTH, although someone posted recently that they were connected with a copper line capable of 30Mbps.

450m would mean a connection speed of around 90Mbps and would be unlikely to get FTTH for now.

In areas closest to the cabinet/exchange with a dense population it is quicker to rollout hi-speed VDSL broadband via existing copper network and concentrating FTTH rollout on rural areas not capable of VDSL speeds.

Well TBH speeds of 90mb/s would be amazing, I suppose I was thinking of the highest possible connection. Is there an small advantage in that the line is already there ?? quicker installation??

Enter your Eircode here:

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Post what it says.

Also enter your Eircode here (under Check Rural 300k):

http://fibrerollout.ie

Post what it says.

LIGHT BLUE AREA
    Your premises is in the commercial planned deployment area that will be covered on a commercial basis. For further information on rollout in your area go to http://fibrerollout.ie/

Great news! Your Eircode is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering fibre speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the second half of 2017.

• Advertisement

Well TBH speeds of 90mb/s would be amazing, I suppose I was thinking of the highest possible connection. Is there an small advantage in that the line is already there ?? quicker installation??

Yes, whenever the exchange is upgraded for VDSL. Change your line over at the cabinet, new master socket and modem.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement