Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

sean72 wrote: »
    LIGHT BLUE AREA
    Your premises is in the commercial planned deployment area that will be covered on a commercial basis. For further information on rollout in your area go to http://fibrerollout.ie/

Great news! Your Eircode is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering fibre speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre broadband will be live in your area during the second half of 2017.

A certain percentage of this rollout will be provided with VDSL (FTTC) up to 100 Mb/s. Your premises may be part of this FTTC plan. Alternatively you may get FTTH. There is no way to tell from the online checkers but the lack of FTTH infrastructure around your premises may suggest you will get the slower product.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

http://larryhynes.net/2017/i-tried-to-live-life-on-eir.html

Funny/sad story of an Eir installation.

FWIW, I've been extremely happy with my choice of Digiweb so far. Installation was done and dusted within 5 working days (as promised), and my 3 customer support calls have been dealt with totally satisfactorily. Would definitely recommend Digiweb to anyone apprehensive about Eir's reputation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

FWIW, I've been extremely happy with my choice of Digiweb so far. Installation was done and dusted within 5 working days (as promised), and my 3 customer support calls have been dealt with totally satisfactorily. Would definitely recommend Digiweb to anyone apprehensive about Eir's reputation.

If that is indeed a true story (and god help us but I really do think so, based on personal experience!) I don't know how that man maintained his sanity. I was laughing hysterically by the end of it, though - what an absolute farce.

As for Digiweb, if it wasn't for the installation fee, I'd go with them - I might yet anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

RoYoBo wrote: »
    If that is indeed a true story (and god help us but I really do think so, based on personal experience!) I don't know how that man maintained his sanity. I was laughing hysterically by the end of it, though - what an absolute farce.

As for Digiweb, if it wasn't for the installation fee, I'd go with them - I might yet anyway.

It's everyone's individual call to make - but I'd sooner forget about paying the installation fee to a decent business than paying my money every month to company that treats people like Eir do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

BandMember wrote: »
    There was an Eir PR person on The Pat Kenny Show this morning talking about the roll out and also the NBP. No podcast or playback clip available on the Newstalk website yet (that I can see anyway).

Heard it, pure puff, ploughing championship pr. If you compare what she was saying to the posts on here about "installs" v "available" it reinforces the opinion that eir uses the highest number when talking about their "progress" They continually, and deliberately, confuse "passed" with planned/installed/connected/working/actual speed.

It is part of eir's game with the Dept., with whom they have a contract to (select whatever you mean) 300k fttx by 2019. Upstages the NBP nicely, means the Dept doesn't have to agree to give out any money for NBP, for the moment.

Remember, there is no € figure in the Dept of Finance plans, for NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Eir poles around my area have been surveyed (some marked with the D for defective) in the past week and I see KN trucks/vans with replacements moving around. Who knows, maybe the "by March'18" we might see FTTH

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Been there......believe every word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Eir poles around my area have been surveyed (some marked with the D for defective) in the past week and I see KN trucks/vans with replacements moving around. Who knows, maybe the "by March'18" we might see FTTH

Seems you are well ahead of me ....... first half of 2018 we are told :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Hi thanks for that link it was both hilarious and sad. In terms of your own digiweb install was that on the FTTH. When the lines went active at the cabinet did you just go with them?? No hassle?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Very well written piece don't know how the author kept their "sanity" given the total lack of coherence in eir's approach to dealing with their request. Very poor indeed and all that for 1MB!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Ok, how much would you pay on top of the €75(FTTH 1000MB broadband and VOIP) to get a 2TB usage and also that after 2TB your speed is only reduced instead of additional charges?

Do you think €89 would be OK?

If, on the FTTH 1000, FTTH 300 or FTTH 150 services, you were to exceed 2TB total data usage in any calendar month (that is combined upload and download data figures) then your connection would be slowed to 15% of your maximum speeds for the remainder of that calendar month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

raydator wrote: »
    Dunno - what do other providers charge for the privilege?
    I would expect Eir to offering something comparably competitive.

Gwynston wrote: »
    Dunno - what do other providers charge for the privilege?
    I would expect Eir to offering something comparably competitive.

This is from another provider. Eir, don't offer this!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Ok, how much would you pay on top of the €75(FTTH 1000MB broadband and VOIP) to get a 2TB usage and also that after 2TB your speed is only reduced instead of additional charges?

If, on the FTTH 1000, FTTH 300 or FTTH 150 services, you were to exceed 2TB total data usage in any calendar month (that is combined upload and download data figures) then your connection would be slowed to 15% of your maximum speeds for the remainder of that calendar month.

not sure that would be ok. Eir have been rocking the 1tb fair usage policy for two years now and in those two years think how much more data is being used today compared to September 2015. At the very minimum Eir should increase their default FUP for 2018 to at least 3tb for FTTH customers. If customers need more data then they can purchase an extra 1tb of data for 10 euros per month, similar to the way data boosters work on mobile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭BandMember

BarryM wrote: »
    Remember, there is no € figure in the Dept of Finance plans, for NBP.

There won't be either, because they won't be paying for it. The Department of Public Expenditure & Reform has been in charge in actual budget allocations for projects like this for the past 6 years. However, the funding for this one will mainly be coming from a few sources. The NBP has got absolutely nothing to do with the Department of Finance.

I'd agree with the rest of your comments though, it was a pure fluff PR piece.

It was yet another occassion when I wonder just how stupid or lazy journalists are in this country because there is no such thing as research, balance or actual questioning of statements/facts by contributors in most of what I see, in any topic from politics to sport to social issues to any issue you want to mention.... :mad:

Gonzo wrote: »
    not sure that would be ok. Eir have been rocking the 1tb fair usage policy for two years now and in those two years think how much more data is being used today compared to September 2015. At the very minimum Eir should increase their default FUP for 2018 to at least 3tb for FTTH customers. If customers need more data then they can purchase an extra 1tb of data for 10 euros per month, similar to the way data boosters work on mobile.

Well, look at it this way, I would have 2TB of usage a month on my 1000MB connection and then if I go over, my connection would be slowed to 15% which works out at 150MB download speed for the remainder of the month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Well, look at it this way, I would have 2TB of usage a month on my 1000MB connection and then if I go over, my connection would be slowed to 15% which works out at 150MB download speed for the remainder of the month.

Eir will never agree to that because they want to charge for every meg past the fair usage policy. Throttling speed won't benefit Eir with extra cash or savings, there is lots of bandwidth so no reason to throttle speeds. Customers going over the FUP = $$$.

The main problem is they are advertising a product that is clearly limited, yet they claim is unlimited. If Eir were to be truthful, get rid of this unlimited advertising and keep things the way they are, they would probably gain more respect by being truthful.

Eir will never agree to that because they want to charge for every meg past the fair usage policy. Throttling speed won't benefit Eir with extra cash or savings, there is lots of bandwidth so no reason to throttle speeds. Customers going over the FUP = $$$.

The main problem is they are advertising a product that is clearly limited, yet they claim is unlimited. If Eir were to be truthful, get rid of this unlimited advertising and keep things the way they are, they would probably gain more respect by being truthful.

it's not from Eir. It's another supplier! Confirmed by Email today. Going to cancel my Eir contract......

"Further to our conversation of this afternoon, I can confirm that on our FTTH 1000 service (and indeed all of our broadband services) we do not charge for exceeding any data usage thresholds.

So on the FTTH 1000 service about which you were enquiring, if you were to exceed 2TB data usage in any calendar month, the system would automatically limit your maximum speed to 150Mbps (the equivalent of our lowest FTTH product)."

it's not from Eir. It's another supplier! Confirmed by Email today. Going to cancel my Eir contract......

"Further to our conversation of this afternoon, I can confirm that on our FTTH 1000 service (and indeed all of our broadband services) we do not charge for exceeding any data usage thresholds.

So on the FTTH 1000 service about which you were enquiring, if you were to exceed 2TB data usage in any calendar month, the system would automatically limit your maximum speed to 150Mbps (the equivalent of our lowest FTTH product)."

Digiweb?

Make sure you make it clear to eir why you are leaving.

Digiweb?

Make sure you make it clear to eir why you are leaving.

It can't be digiweb:

Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

It can't be digiweb:

Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.

Who is it raydator?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Who is it raydator?

Its Net1.ie I had a call with both their sales team and technical support team.

I then asked for the information by email in relation to the FUP.

If you're not on their active exchanges, they will make the request to OpenEir to enable it. So basically anywhere that OpenEir FTTH is they can use the network.

They acknowledged that they have heard about Eir's selling tactics and FUP antics!.

I now need to break my contract with Eir (only have it 6 weeks), which may cost me... but then I will have a much more realistic FUP.

No charges for going over their 2TB bandwidth limit and connection only reduced to 15% of your package for the remained of the month!

I was hoping to get a deal for anyone who signs up using a code, but didn't get around to that yet!

If you're not on their active exchanges, they will make the request to OpenEir to enable it. So basically anywhere that OpenEir FTTH is they can use the network.

They acknowledged that they have heard about Eir's selling tactics and FUP antics!.

I now need to break my contract with Eir (only have it 6 weeks), which may cost me... but then I will have a much more realistic FUP.

No charges for going over their 2TB bandwidth limit and connection only reduced to 15% of your package for the remained of the month!

I was hoping to get a deal for anyone who signs up using a code, but didn't get around to that yet!

Will eir not want the remainder of your contract paid in full to let you leave? Are you willing to pay that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

we find out soon enough if it true good to know,so you be going over the FUP.

Will eir not want the remainder of your contract paid in full to let you leave? Are you willing to pay that?

More than likely, but I have a case in with the advertising standards authority Ireland and if needs be I will go to the small claims court for selling me an "absolutely no limits" package but yet charge if I go over the 1tb.

More than likely, but I have a case in with the advertising standards authority Ireland and if needs be I will go to the small claims court for selling me an "absolutely no limits" package but yet charge if I go over the 1tb.

Good luck. Hopefully you set a precedent.

rob808 wrote: »
    we find out soon enough if it true good to know,so you be going over the FUP.

In one month I have used over 500gb in video streaming alone. This is both UHD content and 4K Netflix.

Then add the two free Xbox games a month, off site backup's, pc updates including 1 pc reinstalled, then yes I'm going over. Not by much mind you.

But it's the logging on every day to watch my stats and the charge which I cannot stand..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

In one month I have used over 500gb in video streaming alone. This is both UHD content and 4K Netflix.

Then add the two free Xbox games a month, off site backup's, pc updates including 1 pc reinstalled, then yes I'm going over. Not by much mind you.

But it's the logging on every day to watch my stats and the charge which I cannot stand..
    There one thing I did'nt like about net1 I enquired about FTTH of them by both email and phone which I never received a reply.Then I ring them gave them my Eircode they said they get back to me never did not sure there customers service any good.

Good luck. Hopefully you set a precedent.

that is very interesting. I thought Net 1 were a provider just for County Louth.

So they have a 2tb limit which you can still go over and not be charged. The speed reduced to 15% will still be fast especially if your on a 1000meg plan.

https://net1.ie/fibre/

The 300 and 1000 meg plans are 5 euros more expensive than Eir or Digiweb but with double the allowance and no excess charges. It also has a 24 month contract.

I have 8 months left on my contract with Eir and will consider changing over to Net 1 and move to a 1000 meg plan for the much more fair data allowance as soon as my contract is up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Just heard on the radio news that Eir are going to increase their prices. If this happens I think you can break your existing contract WITHOUT penalty. So you can shift to another supplier without Eir screwing you. Check it out.

BandMember wrote: »
    There won't be either, because they won't be paying for it. The Department of Public Expenditure & Reform has been in charge in actual budget allocations for projects like this for the past 6 years. However, the funding for this one will mainly be coming from a few sources. The NBP has got absolutely nothing to do with the Department of Finance.

Pedantic, but, afaik, Finance still control the purse strings....

In any case, there is NO money, from any source, agreed or allocated. They are still "negotiating" with potential contractors (including eir, who are dragging their feet, of course)

Jaysus, those are high prices, probably the highest in Europe? Why? In addition, there are those childish restrictions, "great little country" my arse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What's wrong when my modem says connected but won't connect to the Internet. Tried restarting it but no luck, no loss of signal showing up on the box either.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

I would be very wary of signing up with any company that insisted on a 24 month contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Pangea wrote: »
    What's wrong when my modem says connected but won't connect to the Internet. Tried restarting it but no luck, no loss of signal showing up on the box either.

Sounds very similar to the issue I had FTTH Issues

• Advertisement

UPDATE: Eir have removed the "Absolutely no Usage Limits" from their website or hidden it really well.

UPDATE: Eir have removed the "Absolutely no Usage Limits" from their website or hidden it really well.

It's still there

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

The page may be cached on your browser. Try CTRL+SHIFT+R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Still showing here - down the page under the 'infinity' icon
    Unlimited Usage

Absolutely no usage limits

Still showing here - down the page under the 'infinity' icon

Very strange indeed!

• Advertisement

still showing for me, even after clearing cache, even on browsers that I never use such as Microsoft Edge.

still showing for me, even after clearing cache, even on browsers that I never use such as Microsoft Edge.

OK Never mind...... When you put your eircode in the screen changes and removes the banner.

Are we looking at the same page?

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

5jLCGBt.png

I wonder why I no longer see it?

same page, just lower down the page and it appears twice!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Just clicked that link:
    Great News! A45 XX XX

We can now confirm you are next in line on our roll out plan for Ireland’s fastest broadband! We have a range of speeds to suit you best; 150Mb, 300Mb or Ireland’s fastest 1,000Mb. We estimate that we will be in your area between the dates of October and December 2017, after which you’ll be ready to get connected.

Enjoy 2 months FREE…

Even better, if you register your interest today, we’ll offer you the first two months of our most popular broadband bundle for FREE! That means superfast broadband speeds of up to 150Mb and an UNLIMITED allowance.
    The above is new for me. Still the unlimited BS, but have to say my hopes are being raised that it really is happening ....

Going to have to sort out the ducting situation very soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Full pages don't cache - CSS/JS does. It's still on the page for me regardless!

Full pages don't cache - CSS/JS does. It's still on the page for me regardless!

Hi as I said in the next post,

OK Never mind...... When you put your Eircode in the screen changes and removes the banner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

In terms of false advertising how about the entire FTTH cr*p when a large percentage is actually FTTC. I'm sure none of my neighbours are aware of this and that they will be paying practically the same for 3-10% of the speed their neighbour 1km away can get. I know some will say they advertise speeds of 30-1000 Mb/s but unless you are reasonably savvy you would never be aware that there is no hope of getting the over 100mb/s+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

In terms of false advertising how about the entire FTTH cr*p when a large percentage is actually FTTC. I'm sure none of my neighbours are aware of this and that they will be paying practically the same for 3-10% of the speed their neighbour 1km away can get. I know some will say they advertise speeds of 30-1000 Mb/s but unless you are reasonably savvy you would never be aware that there is no hope of getting the over 100mb/s+.
    They sell FTTH and FTTC as two seperate products and two different price points.
    In fact, chances are if you are on FTTC then you won't be able to avail of the FTTH products as there is little (no?) overlap.
    I have never seen an FTTC product (known as just 'Fibre' in a lot of cases, which may be where your confusion stems) marketed as speeds of up to 1000Mb/s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

This has been said ad nauseum. What it costs to connect you has little to nothing to do with what speed is provided.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Tweaky wrote: »
    Sounds very similar to the issue I had FTTH Issues

Just had a read. Thanks. I got a bill for my fttc account a few days ago, they forgot to cancel it, I complained and they wiped the bill but now I'm thinking maybe my ftth profile is conflicting with this as your post suggested

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement