Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Tweaky, when this happened was your 'my Eir' showing up strange? When I login on Pc none of my broadband details have been showing for the past week. It won't show usage or past bills. The my Eir app won't log in at all either. Maybe it's all connected to this issue you had.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

Pangea wrote: »
    Tweaky, when this happened was your 'my Eir' showing up strange? When I login on Pc none of my broadband details have been showing for the past week. It won't show usage or past bills. The my Eir app won't log in at all either. Maybe it's all connected to this issue you had.

I don't remember there being any issues with My Eir

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

raydator wrote: »
    Hi as I said in the next post,

OK Never mind...... When you put your Eircode in the screen changes and removes the banner.

Yep, I know, just pointing out for future reference :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

today's article on Eir's price rises. It will effect most broadband users on packages and standalone broadband but those with FTTH connections will not see any price increase.

It would seem those with ADSL and FTTC services will see the increase.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/elderly-will-have-to-pay-more-as-eir-raises-its-prices-for-500000-36153849.html

• Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

Had to place my third order for FTTH today. First order was placed on the 20th of August. Got an email saying installation would be the 12th of September. No contact by them. I had to ring Eir on the 12th. I have a previous post on that mental debacle. Anyway, I place another order by webchat on 15th September. Router sent out and delivered by Monday. Installation set for 22nd sept.

Got a phone call today from open eir confirming installation of a phone line. As I’m new to how mental dealing with Eir is I just mentioned that I had a phoneline and a broadband service with sky. This startled her. She said it was an installation for a phone line and not a fibre line. Blah blah blah... she cancelled the order and transferred me to Eir.

Long story short, third order placed and the reason the first two failed was because the wrong eir code was linked up with my order, apperantly. New order installation for 28th. I hold out little hope. The map has changed my house and road to green and live. But the nearest pole has a coiled up splice box on it. Edge of exchange malaise I think. Funny how the figures passed was adjusted this week by a few hundred while Eir are parading around the ploughing with thier Eir to press release noncesense.

And I wait.

Headford exchange, kerry. 740 is the number of the exchange, 420 were “passed” last week it now says “720”.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Letter sent to the independent.

[font=arial, sans-serif]Hi Charlie,[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I have just read your article "Elderly will have to pay more as Eir raises its prices for 500,000".[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]How about doing an article in relation to Eir's selling tactics and advertising?[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Eir have feet on the ground selling their new FTTH service as an unlimited package.[/font]
    [font=arial, sans-serif]They also state on their website "Absolutely no usage limits" when buying their FTTH service online, see this link, https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]You can find a whole thread on Boards.ie here, http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057783247 with a fuller picture of what they are up to.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]What they don't tell the customer is that a fair usage policy(FUP) applies to these packages, despite the working of "Absolutely no usage limits" and "Unlimited" being plastered all over there website.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Customers are finding out the hard way that a FUP applies to all or Eir's broadband packages when they in some cases find an additional charge of €100 on top on their bill. [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to[/font]
    [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month." [/font]
    [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]The normal response from Eir in relation to the [/font][/font]"Absolutely no usage limits" [font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][font=arial, sans-serif]is "[/font][/font][font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I will pass your feedback about this on to the relevant department[/font]"
    [/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]
    How many customers have been affected by this? 

How can they claim to deliver "Unlimited Fibre to the Home Broadband. Ireland's Fastest Broadband with unlimited usage." when clearly there is a limit? 

This must be classed as false advertising? 

We need to keep highlighting the topic!

[/font]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Who would be the more accurate, Open eir's rollout map or the guys doing the work? I had a quick chat with the guys doing the work on the street last week (finished now) who said FTTH is going live on Oct 3 and to expect the salesmen to call in the next week or so. The rollout map just says "planned".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

believe the oct 3 date for it going 'live' but believe 'planned' when it comes to when you'll actually be able to get the service installed

Thanks Ray,
    I will look at that.
    Charlie

Charlie Weston
    Personal Finance Editor
    The Irish Independent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

believe the oct 3 date for it going 'live' but believe 'planned' when it comes to when you'll actually be able to get the service installed
    Thanks. Does "planned" have any meaning though, in reality?

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Thanks. Does "planned" have any meaning though, in reality?

I think it's just a catch-all for when they don't have the date on their system yet.

Following on with our situation here at the house... The sales guy was supposed to call us back this week, left him a voice mail this morning asking for him to call back and he replied by email even though last week he said he would call this week to organise a date to come out to us at the house to meet and undo the whole process if it couldn't be made right there and then.

In the email he said "This has been escalated to management in Openeir to get a resolve for you
    I am waiting on more information from them and will be back once I have news for you"

What has been escalated to mgmt in open eir? The fact we want Eir to completely reverse our entire order as discussed in the last phone call?

Net1.ie's offer sounds good, 2TB and throttled to 150mb after going over, for 90 euro per month.. Only thing is the 24 month contract, digiweb contract is 12 months but they have a 1TB limit..

anyone have any experience with net1?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 irishd

plodder wrote: »

The above is new for me. Still the unlimited BS, but have to say my hopes are being raised that it really is happening ....

Going to have to sort out the ducting situation very soon.

Oldtown is not live yet checking eircode on fibrerollout.ie but I get the same as you on the eir site offering a chance to "pre-order" and get two months (of the 150 mbps package) free. Also, Oldtown (and Ballyboughal) are now listed as being passed for broadband in the last roundup.

Eir reps have been calling around Oldtown village this week, doing a fairly hard sell and were quite pissy when my wife told them that she had been advised not to sign up at the door. No mention of two months free either.

Checked also with Net1 and Digiweb - neither have been notified of a go-live date so would be confident it is not within 30 days of going live.

Quite obviously Eir is being very naughty in actively marketing online and door to door when other providers cannot.

That said, neighbouring Ballyboughal has a go-live of 4/10 and as all fibre/splice boxes are in place so should not be long behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Gonzo wrote: »
    today's article on Eir's price rises. It will effect most broadband users on packages and standalone broadband but those with FTTH connections will not see any price increase.

It would seem those with ADSL and FTTC services will see the increase.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/latest-news/elderly-will-have-to-pay-more-as-eir-raises-its-prices-for-500000-36153849.html

Sure they don't need to increase FTTH charges when they can scalp with with excess charges via the absolutely unlimited 1TB cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

It's strange how some you are expecting the service in a month and none of the infrastructure is in place, here in Kildare town we have it all and open Eir say it will be nearly a year before we are live,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

irishd wrote: »
    Oldtown is not live yet checking eircode on fibrerollout.ie but I get the same as you on the eir site offering a chance to "pre-order" and get two months (of the 150 mbps package) free. Also, Oldtown (and Ballyboughal) are now listed as being passed for broadband in the last roundup.

Eir reps have been calling around Oldtown village this week, doing a fairly hard sell and were quite pissy when my wife told them that she had been advised not to sign up at the door. No mention of two months free either.

Checked also with Net1 and Digiweb - neither have been notified of a go-live date so would be confident it is not within 30 days of going live.

Quite obviously Eir is being very naughty in actively marketing online and door to door when other providers cannot.

That said, neighbouring Ballyboughal has a go-live of 4/10 and as all fibre/splice boxes are in place so should not be long behind.
    Yeah, the hard sell is interesting all right though they haven't called to us yet. I registered on that page to see what would happen. Do you know if the exchange work has been done yet? The go-live date on that page of October-December is consistent with Openeir at least.
    eieio wrote:
    It's strange how some you are expecting the service in a month and none of the infrastructure is in place, here in Kildare town we have it all and open Eir say it will be nearly a year before we are live,
    There has to be a solid reason behind that, which they might not be disclosing, such as suitable access to backhaul. I can't imagine that they would risk a competitor like Siro getting a foothold, or even forgoing the revenue and profit they would make, arbitrarily.

• Advertisement

I noticed my fibre line has crossed over and tangled with the phone line, is this something to worry about? I would be afraid of kinks. See pic below, Currently I have no Internet access but there's no loss of signal or anything think the fault is on Eirs side https://imgur.com/a/HvYFd

• Registered Users Posts: 49 pmc8

Ftth will be available in my area soon lots of work being done by kn,so I thought I'd check eirs site for pricin and I can't see any option for just broadband without the eir talk.is there any cheaper option than the 75 a month ? .

pmc8 wrote: »
    Ftth will be available in my area soon lots of work being done by kn,so I thought I'd check eirs site for pricin and I can't see any option for just broadband without the eir talk.is there any cheaper option than the 75 a month ? .

€75 is for the 1000mb broadband only, they do cheaper packages.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

It is 75 a month after the 1st 12 months, but in reality its €52.50 a month for the first 12 months. After 12 months, you are out of contract and may be able to get another deal come the time.

150Mb
    Price Breakdown
    Promotional price

€35 for 6 months

After 6 months€70

After 12 months€75

Contract Length :12 months

300mb
    Price Breakdown
    Promotional price

€43 for 6 months

After 6 months€78

After 12 months€83

Contract Length
    12 months

1GB

Price Breakdown

Promotional price

€55 for 6 months

After 6 months€90

After 12 months€95

Contract Length12 months

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Where'd you get that info? All Eir contracts I saw were 18 months.
    Also, you can only avail of those prices if you take a phone. Without a phone, it's full price all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

d31b0y wrote: »
    Where'd you get that info? All Eir contracts I saw were 18 months.
    Also, you can only avail of those prices if you take a phone. Without a phone, it's full price all the time.

If you really want to go with Eir, considering the FUP and charges, then use the Live chat option or call to get the FTTH broadband only price(if they are still doing it).

I only signed up in July and got the following offer.

Bundle Name: Standalone Fibre
    Your Bundle Includes: eir Fibre Extreme 1000Mb
    Contract Length: 12 Months
    Promotional Price: €60.00 per month
    Regular Price: €75.00 per month
    Your Add Ons: eir Sport and BT Sports Pack €0.00 per month
    Your Promotional Discounts: Promotion - 15 Euro off for 3 months €15.00 x 3 months ending October 2017

You may get a good deal on the lower speeds.

Have a look at Net1.ie, will cost a little more and its a 24 month contract, but they have a 2TB FUP and no additional changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

vintagevrs wrote: »

Hmm, I signed up on the 1 of June but it failed. It's still on the to do list but I have to bury ducting. I just checked and it's definitely an 18 month contract. I think I will be cancelling my order and reapplying. They refused to give me any discount at all.

raydator - fully aware of the FUP and implications. Thanks for the breakdown on pricing. I'll use that to leverage a better deal from them, although I am contemplating paying the install fee with DigiWeb and going with them. I would have said the DigiWeb FUP is better.
    Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.

All on the long finger till I get my ducting complete of course...

d31b0y wrote: »
    Hmm, I signed up on the 1 of June but it failed. It's still on the to do list but I have to bury ducting. I just checked and it's definitely an 18 month contract. I think I will be cancelling my order and reapplying. They refused to give me any discount at all.

raydator - fully aware of the FUP and implications. Thanks for the breakdown on pricing. I'll use that to leverage a better deal from them, although I am contemplating paying the install fee with DigiWeb and going with them. I would have said the DigiWeb FUP is better.

All on the long finger till I get my ducting complete of course...

Just be careful, as if you go over twice in any given 90 days they have the right to terminate your contact, AND I believe, they still look for payment for the remainder of the contract lenght.. (could be worng).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

If you really want to go with Eir, considering the FUP and charges, then use the Live chat option or call to get the FTTH broadband only price(if they are still doing it).

Your Promotional Discounts: Promotion - 15 Euro off for 3 months €15.00 x 3 months ending October 2017

Have a look at Net1.ie, will cost a little more and its a 24 month contract, but they have a 2TB FUP and no additional changes.
    How much is there install charge for Net1.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

When will you be moving to Net1?

Really interested to see how you get on, what Net 1's network is like, speedtests etc.

If all is good then I expect a lot of us here will follow over to Net 1 as soon as our Eir contract's are up. A 2tb FUP with no excess charges for going over means no more watching the clock and that is worth much peace of mind.

I'm waiting to get confirmation from ASAI in writing about my complaint before asking Eir to break my contract. Once that happens I will be jumping ship.

TBH, I'm hoping it does not come to that and I heard on the grapevine that Eir are currently reviewing their FTTH FUP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

rob808 wrote: »
    How much is there install charge for Net1.

I contacted Net1.ie asking if there was an installation charge for their FTTH 1000 product
    Net1.ie wrote:
    No installation charge!

net1 sound like the best option by a long shot. Is there any catch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

24 month contract instead of a 12 month with Eir and unsure how good/bad their network is

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Net1 used to engage on Facebook but the responses were often sarcastic and passive agressive. I would not be joining them for their customer care. That said if the FTTH product works well you should have no need to engage with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

A salesman called to the door. Said if I didn't order soon all ports would be gone.

Is there any truth in this. Have people tried to get ftth and been told all ports gone ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Blogin wrote: »
    A salesman called to the door. Said if I didn't order soon all ports would be gone.

Is there any truth in this. Have people tried to get ftth and been told all ports gone ?

Don't listen to or order from door to door sales. He's just using pressure techniques.

It is technically possible, but unlikely.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Blogin wrote: »

FTTH ports are allocated by Eircode at the network design stage. The eir salesman at your door lied to you, but in fairness that's a safe assumption no matter what he told you. Some of the things they're telling people around here would make Donald Trump blush.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

KeRbDoG wrote: »

24 month contract instead of a 12 month with Eir and unsure how good/bad their network is

Same network?

Open eir FTTH just packaged via another retailer?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    Same network?

Open eir FTTH just packaged via another retailer?

It's not quite that simple. open eir provide a layer-2 connection from the customer's premises to the ISP's network, and it's up to the ISP to get the traffic out to the world.

Most retailers operate on a similar model where the traffic is aggregated in Dublin. Others (like us) get the traffic handed off regionally, which can have its advantages.

Well I've spent the most of the day on the phone to Eir trying to get my fibre up and running again, An awful experience that led me going in circles. They hadn't a clue To cut a long story short they said my account was ceased and told me to call loyalty, when I did he put me through to a technician again, he unceased it and he said that I will have to order the fibre again. He couldn't give me an explanation. I explained that I got a bill a few days ago for my old account by mistake and that I since asked Eir to cancel my old account, he agreed with me when I said they must have cancelled my new fibre account by mistake . What a cock up! Anyways I put twenty euro in my phone this morning and now I'm left with five euro. Is 1901 free to call??

Well I've spent the most of the day on the phone to Eir trying to get my fibre up and running again, An awful experience that led me going in circles. They hadn't a clue To cut a long story short they said my account was ceased and told me to call loyalty, when I did he put me through to a technician again, he unceased it and he said that I will have to order the fibre again. He couldn't give me an explanation. I explained that I got a bill a few days ago for my old account by mistake and that I since asked Eir to cancel my old account, he agreed with me when I said they must have cancelled my new fibre account by mistake . What a cock up! Anyways I put twenty euro in my phone this morning and now I'm left with five euro. Is 1901 free to call??
    The 1901 free it was when they pass you onto support which isn't free cost you money.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    FTTH ports are allocated by Eircode at the network design stage. The eir salesman at your door lied to you, but in fairness that's a safe assumption no matter what he told you. Some of the things they're telling people around here would make Donald Trump blush.

As a competitor what can you do about such practices? Would Comreg be interested or is the door to door sales sector completely unregulated?

• Advertisement

rob808 wrote: »
    The 1901 free it was when they pass you onto support which isn't free cost you money.

Typical, would it be free from an eir landline? I can't seem to find the costs online

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As a competitor what can you do about such practices? Would Comreg be interested or is the door to door sales sector completely unregulated?

Hard to say. The attitude seems to be that if a salesman lies to customers, it will cause reputational damage to their own company - but that's cold comfort to the competitor who has lost business in the meantime due to being lied about.

The problem is that each incident is treated as an isolated case of a salesman gone rogue, but when the same lies are being repeated by rogues the length and breadth of the country, that excuse wears thin.

The reality of door to door is it is impossible to prove that they lie, its your word against there's. I'm surprised any big company still uses them tbh, the reputational damage is unbelievable.

Typical, would it be free from an eir landline? I can't seem to find the costs online
    it free calling the 1901 it just when you ring support it cost you.

Avada wrote: »
    The reality of door to door is it is impossible to prove that they lie, its your word against there's. I'm surprised any big company still uses them tbh, the reputational damage is unbelievable.

Record them?

Record them?

It's possible alright.

Personally I'd like rid of them. I worked for one of the providers in customer service. Cleaning up their messes was soul destroying.

• Advertisement

It's possible alright.

Personally I'd like rid of them. I worked for one of the providers in customer service. Cleaning up their messes was soul destroying.

I can only imagine the carnage they could cause when they are predominantly speaking to a non technical public.

Just rang Eir again regarding my problem. It turns out my new account wasn't ceased but the problem arose when I was migrated to the new FTTH system from the old system not everything carried over, she said the system got confused. Next step is to ring sales on Monday and ask them to electronically enable my account and my broadband will be active in 24 hours or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭__..__

What router do they give you with FTTH?
    Is it capable of 1000mbps wireless?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

__..__ wrote: »
    What router do they give you with FTTH?
    Is it capable of 1000mbps wireless?

No. Only 60Ghz can give you wiGig and its been abandoned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It's possible alright.

The problem is telesales are hamstrung by the truth:
    "Why join you"
    "We give a better service"
    "Is it faster"
    "No"
    "Is it cheaper?"
    "Same price"
    *hangs up*

Unfortunately lying dirtbags at the door do make sales and a certain percentage don't complain. Once one provider does it all need to to keep up the arms race.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement