Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Marlow wrote: »
    Actual installations seems to be commercially sensitive (SIRO), but SIRO has passed/enabled 85000 homes, that are ready for installation. That was actually in the last press release, that also announced the build-out for Athlone town. If the 12000 figure of Eir/OpenEir is correct, then SIRO has passed 4 times as much.
    /M

Easy enough to get high figures when your roll out is in high density urban areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Easy enough to get high figures when your roll out is in high density urban areas.

Areas that Eir has ignored for the time being and that only are serviced with FTTC (at the most) or Virgin .. if you're lucky, at the moment. Actually, the fiber build in those areas can be more challenging due to planning, access etc. And while these are urban areas, they're areas that have been long ignored, examples being Skibbereen, Tralee, etc.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Actual installations seems to be commercially sensitive (SIRO), but SIRO has passed/enabled 85000 homes, that are ready for installation. That was actually in the last press release, that also announced the build-out for Athlone town. If the 12000 figure of Eir/OpenEir is correct, then SIRO has passed 4 times as much.
    /M

I think you're trolling me now Marlow. The 12000 figure quoted for eir was actual physical FTTH connections. The total figure from Comreg was 19125, leaving the maximum number of Siro connections at 7125. This is ignoring enet who would have a small amount of trials in various areas.

I think you're trolling me now Marlow. The 12000 figure quoted for eir was actual physical FTTH connections.

If I was trolling, I wouldn't have specified, that these are homes passed. Also, the 12000 figure was, as I said, very questionable. Given the fact, that it took them 9 months to install the first 6000 and they suddenly did another 6000 in 3 months, when that figure is what they predicted, but can't deliver.

They're finalizing approx 10-15% of what they predicted at the moment due to problems with their contractors. The 12000 figure didn't come from the department, so can't be taken for granted.

I'm looking forward to the next report.

/M

If I was trolling, I wouldn't have specified, that these are homes passed. Also, the 12000 figure was, as I said, very questionable. Given the fact, that it took them 9 months to install the first 6000 and they suddenly did another 6000 in 3 months, when that figure is what they predicted, but can't deliver.

They're finalizing approx 10-15% of what they predicted at the moment due to problems with their contractors. The 12000 figure didn't come from the department, so can't be taken for granted.

I'm looking forward to the next report.

/M

I've already explained to you that this 12000 figure likely includes urban FTTH that they have had available since 2015. Anyway between SIRO and Openeir there must be nearly 200000 homes passed nationwide yet less than 10% have active connections. Hardly stellar.

Anyway between SIRO and Openeir there must be nearly 200000 homes passed nationwide yet less than 10% have active connections. Hardly stellar.

Agreed. And that comes down to price. Very hard to do something about for other providers, too, as the Eir's base pricing is set by the department.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

turbbo wrote: »
    Lol - fastest broadband available to me on that exchange is 3mbs!! 58 houses on that same exchange in the same boat give or take a mb or 2.

58 houses could be the reason for the late rollout in your area. Looking at the planned rollout for the county, 6 exchanges have less than 129 potential FTTH properties and they're all down for the second half of 2018.

GLENROE 56
    CASTLETROY 58
    GRANAGH 96
    FOYNES 97
    KILMEEDY 110
    EFFIN 123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

58 Homes, lucky it ever got DSL at all. Most of those would be dial up only.

ED E wrote: »

It's mad really, as Castletroy isn't that far from being Urban. There's got to be some legacy reason for that.

/M

• Advertisement

58 homes in a predominantly urban area, 6140 connected premises. Our local exchange is core fibred back to the Castletroy exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

A good deal of people down my road are on the Castletroy exchange and not included on the 300k ftth rollout. Poor quality <2mbs dsl would be available as they would be roughly 7km from the exchange building.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Jpmarn wrote: »
    A good deal of people down my road are on the Castletroy exchange and not included on the 300k ftth rollout. Poor quality <2mbs dsl would be available as they would be roughly 7km from the exchange building.

Yeah it’s a small area not small in population for the size of it. Think ed e needs to get out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

Pangea wrote: »
    Just spent two hours on the phone with Eir. The past few days have been a nightmare trying to get the Internet problem sorted. They had a different story today. I was told it was a Tier 2 case. One of the agents hadn't seen the problem before.. Turns out there was a provisional failure on the account, a blockage on the line once the new ffth system rebooted after the old dsl account was ceased. She said the signal was going zig zag instead of straight, so now they hope to rectify it by Friday. My experience has been awful. Four days speaking to every department in Eir, four different case numbers. All Il say is that I hope no one else experiences this problem with ftth.
    You are one of many. I ordered FTTH on 5th May, fibre on pole right outside my house, had issues, was never installed, tried to cancel the order so I could to go back to square one, and ended up in a complete nightmare. Dozens and dozens of phone calls, told it was Tier 2. Was told they had never seen the problem before. Tier 2 means feck all, except the people on the phone can say it is out of their hands. Finally managed to get to talk to a supervisor called Daniel. He took my case seriously, called me back a few times ( first time anyone phoned me). Yesterday, 4 and half months later, I got an email to say my new order had gone through. Except it wasn't what I had signed up for (standalone broadband, €55, 12 month contract). Order I got was for €82 ( Promotional price they say!), landline included, 18 months contract.
    On phone again, can't change it until it is in place. Waiting now for notification of installation...

Are you trolling with comments like that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

/M
    So you're comparing connections to passed homes. This is pure BS, as was your claim that Eir are only connecting 44 homes a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

turbbo wrote: »
    Are you trolling with comments like that?

Nope, about 60(iirc) EXCHs like that around.

You don't spend €20,000 on equipment and labor for a return of €500/mo after costs.

Nope, about 60(iirc) EXCHs like that around.

You don't spend €20,000 on equipment and labor for a return of €500/mo after costs.

That makes no sense - densely populated areas are far more economical to roll out to than vast expanses with sporadic population.

You're saying because it's a small number it's not worth rolling out to? But you're not taking into account it's size - i.e tiny by comparison to areas that have already gone live. Surely it should be based on homes per km rather than just number of homes in an exchange area. Also they are working in adjacent areas already so it's not like they have to travel hundreds of miles to get there either. So costs would not outweigh return. Think you'd need to take a look at google maps.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 tkmullingar

banjopeter wrote: »
    Pangea wrote: »
    Just spent two hours on the phone with Eir. The past few days have been a nightmare trying to get the Internet problem sorted. They had a different story today. I was told it was a Tier 2 case. One of the agents hadn't seen the problem before.. Turns out there was a provisional failure on the account, a blockage on the line once the new ffth system rebooted after the old dsl account was ceased. She said the signal was going zig zag instead of straight, so now they hope to rectify it by Friday. My experience has been awful. Four days speaking to every department in Eir, four different case numbers. All Il say is that I hope no one else experiences this problem with ftth.
    You are one of many. I ordered FTTH on 5th May, fibre on pole right outside my house, had issues, was never installed, tried to cancel the order so I could to go back to square one, and ended up in a complete nightmare. Dozens and dozens of phone calls, told it was Tier 2. Was told they had never seen the problem before. Tier 2 means feck all, except the people on the phone can say it is out of their hands. Finally managed to get to talk to a supervisor called Daniel. He took my case seriously, called me back a few times ( first time anyone phoned me). Yesterday, 4 and half months later, I got an email to say my new order had gone through. Except it wasn't what I had signed up for (standalone broadband, €55, 12 month contract). Order I got was for €82 ( Promotional price they say!), landline included, 18 months contract.
    On phone again, can't change it until it is in place. Waiting now for notification of installation...

Don't bet on this result , I ordered ftth in July , got the wrong price on confirmation email , lots of call ,emails , web chats and chat with eir on boards, at first nothings could be done and then it was fixed but September bill came in with wrong amount so back on to eir again. Informed that the offer I signed upto was gone and the "system" will not allow it to be applied to my account.
    Now informed the discount will be applied to my account in one credit in the October bill . Waiting to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Here's another tier 2 case I came across https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/tier-2-case-295134

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Hey all, Im living in Headford Galway and I cant work out when or how the Fibre rollout works. When I input my details to see if I can get Fibre it tells me "up to speeds of 15mb" which certainly isnt fibre.

It says this for a Cabinet at the top of the town ----> https://i.imgur.com/tgpldGV.png

Then towards the bottom it states a cabinet is due here soon.

The whole area is highlighted in green which according to the legend should be live. Anyone any idea how I can find out exactly whats going on?

The current broadband I have in Headford is terrible. I get download speeds of 10mb but any attempt to play the Xbox online while someone even dares look at their phone just causes constant lag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flesheatingbug

I've built a house in an area where FTTH is due in Autumn/Winter 2017 (it was just autumn 2017 a week ago). There's a cable right outside my house. After looking through the thread am I right in thinking it's unlikely i'll get broadband anytime soon?

joe123 wrote: »
    Then towards the bottom it states a cabinet is due here soon.

The whole area is highlighted in green which according to the legend should be live. Anyone any idea how I can find out exactly whats going on?

The current broadband I have in Headford is terrible. I get download speeds of 10mb but any attempt to play the Xbox online while someone even dares look at their phone just causes constant lag.

Do you know which cabinet your line is connected to? Assuming you're in the green area maybe your line is connected to the planned blue FTTC cabinet and are currently on ADSL.

What does the NBP map indicate for your eircode - http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

I've built a house in an area where FTTH is due in Autumn/Winter 2017 (it was just autumn 2017 a week ago). There's a cable right outside my house. After looking through the thread am I right in thinking it's unlikely i'll get broadband anytime soon?

Are the splice boxes on the poles in your area yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Just announced on Radio 1 that SIRO have pulled out of NBP. Submissions were to be in by lunch time and they blame eir & the 300k and it not being worthwhile bidding anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

That was eir's plan all along

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,409 ✭✭✭plodder

Just announced on Radio 1 that SIRO have pulled out of NBP. Submissions were to be in by lunch time and they blame eir & the 300k and it not being worthwhile bidding anymore
    Sore losers. Eir beat them fair and square in my book. It has complicated things for the dept though.

The Cush wrote: »
    Are the splice boxes on the poles in your area yet?

dunno, what they look like? at the moment all i've noticed is a pipe tied to eircom pole, there's one every 20 metres or so

dunno, what they look like? at the moment all i've noticed is a pipe tied to eircom pole, there's one every 20 metres or so

The upper box in this picture

SAM_0321.jpg

The upper box in this picture

SAM_0321.jpg

ah nope, unfortunately

ah nope, unfortunately

In my area the splicing van was installing the splice boxes just behind the cabling lads.

• Advertisement

I wonder does today's SIRO announcement mean that we will see Vodafone joining the ranks of Openeir FTTH resellers? They will surely want access to the ~850000 premises that eir are likely to hold.

I wonder does today's SIRO announcement mean that we will see Vodafone joining the ranks of Openeir FTTH resellers?
    Thinking the same thing earlier but I suspect there'll be no decision on that until Comreg publishes it's decision on wholesale access pricing to open-eir's network, according to reports due in the coming weeks.

I wonder does today's SIRO announcement mean that we will see Vodafone joining the ranks of Openeir FTTH resellers? They will surely want access to the ~850000 premises that eir are likely to hold.

Vodafone DOES resell both OpenEIR and SIRO FTTH already. They've been doing that from day one. Bitstream, FTTC, FTTH (OpenEIR), FTTH (SIRO). They obviously sell SIRO wherever they can, as the margins are higher.

They even resell some fixed wireless connections for businesses, where they have no other choice.

/M

Vodafone DOES resell both OpenEIR and SIRO FTTH already. They've been doing that from day one. Bitstream, FTTC, FTTH (OpenEIR), FTTH (SIRO). They obviously sell SIRO wherever they can, as the margins are higher.

They don't resell open-eir's FTTH, see here http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

They even resell some fixed wireless connections for businesses, where they have no other choice.

/M

You really should just stop posting. You're embarrassing yourself now.

They don't resell open-eir's FTTH, see here http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Well, I can tell you, that the Vodafone reps have been knocking on peoples doors here selling OpenEIR FTTH to people. Just because it's not on fibrerollout.ie doesn't make it so.

Friend of mine had them in the door only 2 weeks ago, as OpenEIR FTTH outside of Athlone went live.

/M

Vodafone DOES resell both OpenEIR and SIRO FTTH already. They've been doing that from day one. Bitstream, FTTC, FTTH (OpenEIR), FTTH (SIRO).

/M

Nope. Vodafone don't resell FTTH on the OpenEir Network. Only fttc (copper network)

Only resellars of OpenEirs FTTH is Digiweb, westnet and few other small company's.

And to prove my point: go to http://www.openeir.ie/live_agent/ , and find Vodafone Group in the drop down for Operators. They're on board for all OpenEIR products.

/M

Nope. Vodafone don't resell FTTH on the OpenEir Network. Only fttc (copper network)

Only resellars of OpenEirs FTTH is Digiweb, westnet and few other small company's.

How is it then, that they're targeting homes, where FTTC isn't available and selling up to 1 Gbit/s connections ? I know this first hand. Explain that to me. FTTC and FTTH is the same product group within OpenEIR. You can't have one without the other.

/M

• Advertisement

How is it then, that they're targeting homes, where FTTC isn't available and selling up to 1 Gbit/s connections ? I've know this first hand. Explain that to me. FTTC and FTTH is the same product group within OpenEIR. You can't have one without the other.

Safe to say ADSL falls into the category of up to 1 Gbit/s ;)

How is it then, that they're targeting homes, where FTTC isn't available and selling up to 1 Gbit/s connections ? I've know this first hand. Explain that to me. FTTC and FTTH is the same product group within OpenEIR. You can't have one without the other.

/M

Then that would mean everyone who sells openeir Fttc automatically can sell FTTH. Is that what your trying to suggest? They can't.

Its just more examples of I'll informed door to doorsales people trying to sell customers products they can't actually get.

Taken from Vodafone's website where 1000gb packages available;
    Available in these areas
    Portlaoise Tralee
    Cavan Ennis
    Skibbereen Wexford
    Drogheda Letterkenny
    Sligo Carrigaline
    Dundalk Mullingar

Coming soon in these areas
    Limerick Carlow
    Castlebar Greystones
    Westport Bray

Safe to say ADSL falls into the category of up to up to 1 Gbit/s ;)
    Then that would mean everyone who sells openeir Fttc automatically can sell FTTH. Is that what your trying to suggest? They can't.

Its just more examples of I'll informed door to doorsales people trying to sell customers products they can't actually get.

Taken from Vodafone's website where 1000gb packages available;

When you sign up with OpenEIR, the NGA group of products is one group. You automatically become a wholesales partner of FTTC and FTTH. I know this, because I actually read those contracts. Have you ?

You can choose, not to sell FTTH, but you have the products. They terminate on the same WEIL.

And Vodafone IS selling FTTH products of OpenEIR. In this case, friend of mine got offered the FTTH products.

It would be stupid, if Vodafone didn't, as SIRO and OpenEIR don't overlap on FTTH ATM and they can always swap customers to SIRO at a later point, if they opt for it.

/M

There isn't a single Vodafone (open-eir FTTH) subscriber here on boards, you can check back through the threads.

And Vodafone IS selling FTTH products of OpenEIR. In this case, friend of mine got offered the FTTH products.

Did they sign up for it?

There isn't a single Vodafone (open-eir FTTH) subscriber here on boards, you can check back through the threads.

Not everyone is on boards. And it may be something they only started recenlty. But the fact is, that they have people going from door to door and selling FTTH.

Or are you telling me, that my friend here is full of sh*t ?

/M

• Advertisement

Did they sign up for it?

No. He's waiting for another provider to be enabled on the platform.

/M

Or are you telling me, that my friend here is full of sh*t ?

No, but based on reports here I suspect the door to door sales person was.

No, but based on reports here I suspect the door to door sales person was.

He's so far out of Athlone, that FTTC isn't going to work. Hence he's been stuck on LTE up until now. Was waiting for Fixed Wireless or FTTH option.

Vodafone came around, but obviously he knew of his options. I wouldn't go near them either. They've never ever got a bill right yet and support is pretty bad.

As I said, this is a recent development. Can very well be because of the decision that was announced today. They would have known that for a while owning part of SIRO.

/M

He's so far out of Athlone, that FTTC isn't going to work. Hence he's been stuck on LTE up until now. Was waiting for Fixed Wireless or FTTH option.

Vodafone came around, but obviously he knew of his options. I wouldn't go near them either. They've never ever got a bill right yet and support is pretty bad.

/M

I think we should trust the wholesaler's page over the anecdotal evidence of someone. Sorry.

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

You said they have been selling it since the start so two or more years. Yet not one mention of them as a seller on this forum. When confronted with the facts you change to say they may only be selling for two weeks. Make up your mind.

In all the discussions here no one has said they subscribed to open-eir's FTTH product via Vodafone, in fact there are some posts here where they have confirmed to posters that they do not offer FTTH via open-eir's network. Of course this position may have changed very recently on the back of their decision to withdraw from the NBP process. Someone may let us know.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement