Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I think we should trust the wholesaler's page over the anecdotal evidence of someone. Sorry.

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

You said they have been selling it since the start so two or more years. Yet not one mention of them as a seller on this forum. When confronted with the facts you change to say they may only be selling for two weeks. Make up your mind.

The wholesalers page is optional. Not every wholesaler is listed there. I can at least see 1 missing, that I know are providing FTTC and FTTH. The particular wholeseller only sells to existing customers as an add-on.

All I said is, that Vodafone is offering FTTH, as they've had sales people out trying to scoop up in newly enabled areas.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Marlow wrote: »
    As I said, this is a recent development. Can very well be because of the decision that was announced today. They would have known that for a while owning part of SIRO.

Earlier you said ...
    Vodafone DOES resell both OpenEIR and SIRO FTTH already. They've been doing that from day one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The wholesalers page is optional. Not every wholesaler is listed there. I can at least see 1 missing, that I know are providing FTTC and FTTH. The particular wholeseller only sells to existing customers as an add-on.

All I said is, that Vodafone is offering FTTH, as they've had sales people out trying to scoop up in newly enabled areas.

/M

Again in all the posts here where people have had salespersons in newly enabled areas not one Vodafone caller. You are the only person who has ever mentioned them then calling at a door selling Openeir FTTH. I know which side I'm on.

The Cush wrote: »
    Earlier you said ...

Spoofer!

The wholesalers page is optional. Not every wholesaler is listed there. I can at least see 1 missing, that I know are providing FTTC and FTTH.

Will you tell us who, or is it a secret?

Earlier you said ...

At this point, this is a witch hunt.

Fact is:
    - they are a OpenEIR reseller
    - if they are selling FTTC, they can sell FTTH .. it's the same product group
    - not every NGA signed wholesale partner is listed on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/
    - they may opted not to sell FTTH in the start, but I know first hand of a sales person, that offered it
    - boards.ie does not have every broadband subscriber in the country on here.

/M

Will you tell us who, or is it a secret?

They are not interested to advertise this to the public. So no, I won't tell you.

/M

At this point, this is a witch hunt.

Fact is:
    - they are a OpenEIR reseller
    - if they are selling FTTC, they can sell FTTH .. it's the same product group
    - not every NGA signed wholesale partner is listed on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/
    - they may opted not to sell FTTH in the start, but I know first hand of a sales person, that offered it
    - boards.ie does not have every broadband subscriber in the country on here.

/M

I think if you just said "Sorry, I made a mistake" people would not mind. It's your insistence to argue your point in the face of evidence that annoys people. We all make errors.

They are not interested to advertise this to the public. So no, I won't tell you.

Spoilsport, we were having such fun :D

I think if you just said "Sorry, I made a mistake" people would not mind. It's your insistence to argue your point in the face of evidence that annoys people. We all make errors.

I have no problem to admit, that I may be wrong and they may not have sold FTTH from the get go.

But if that is the case, then it was by choice, not because they haven't signed up to the product. They can start ordering those circuits any day they choose. It's covered under the same OpenEIR contract.

And having said that .. I guess the "I made a mistake" applies as much to people, that believe that website always are up to date and rely blindly on that data.

/M

• Advertisement

But if that is the case, then it was by choice, not because they haven't signed up to the product.

Of course it's by choice, no one said otherwise, they're rolling out their own wholesale access network.

Of course it's by choice, no one said otherwise, they're rolling out their own wholesale access network.

It doesn't cover the same areas. And it's fairly far down the roadmap to do so. It would be stupid by Vodafone to pass up the customers business in the meanwhile.

As I already stated, they could always switch them from OpenEIR to SIRO when SIRO gets to cover those areas. That would be the business sensitive way to do it, when you already have the infrastructure for the wholesale platform in place and are paying for it.

/M

It doesn't cover the same areas. And it's fairly far down the roadmap to do so. It would be stupid by Vodafone to pass up the customers business in the meanwhile.

As I already stated, they could always switch them from OpenEIR to SIRO when SIRO gets to cover those areas. That would be the business sensitive way to do it, when you already have the infrastructure for the wholesale platform in place and are paying for it.

/M

I think after today you may give up on SIRO covering these rural areas for a long time to come if ever. Get on the eir train. Choo choo!

It would be stupid by Vodafone to pass up the customers business in the meanwhile.

Agree 100%, but that's what happening.

Just to add, Sky, who also resell open-eir's FTTC do not resell open-eir's FTTH yet. Do you have any info that contradicts this?

I think after today you may give up on SIRO covering these rural areas for a long time to come if ever. Get on the eir train. Choo choo!
    I have to deal with OpenEIR and SIRO and other things in regards of my work . Who I work for has nothing to do with my opinions or my being here.

I'm dealing with both .. and eNet for that sake.
    Agree 100%, but that's what happening.

Just to add, Sky, who also resell open-eir's FTTC do not resell open-eir's FTTH yet. Do you have any info that contradicts this?

No idea. I've only heard rumors, so not really going to delve in there. I know they were looking at SIRO, but were waiting for an aggregated solution as they don't want to maintain backbone connections outside of Dublin (that's hear say), which is something that will come through BT and eNet.

/M

I know they were looking at SIRO,

It doesn't make business sense for a retailer to restrict themselves to a single wholesale network where it doesn't provide nationwide coverage. In Vodafone's case, with all their financial might, restricting themselves to one network in a small country probably makes little difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

my line and neighbors numbers not passing for Vodafone Fibre. My line only passes for FTTH with Eir, Digiweb and Pure Telecom.

Gonzo wrote: »
    my line and neighbors numbers not passing for Vodafone Fibre. My line only passes for FTTH with Eir, Digiweb and Pure Telecom.

Lets see what Comreg decision is on wholesale access pricing and if it will be enough for them to use open-eir's network.

• Advertisement

I wonder how they actually tie that data into the webservice.

Would be great, if wholesale partners are listed automatically based on which exchanges they have a presence in (as in, once they order the circuit needed to enable an exchange).

Doubt it though. As I said, I know one wholesale partner is missing of that site, so it's probably done manually. OpenEIRs wholesale order platform is outright crummy.

/M

Lets see what Comreg decision is on wholesale access pricing and if it will be enough for them to use open-eir's network.

Comreg allowed the price-hike in 2016. I can't see them revert that.

/M

The, admittedly probably not great, margin is there for Digiweb and Pure and Westnet etc. Vodafone are cutting of their nose to spite their face by staying off the network now.

OpenEIRs wholesale order platform is outright crummy.

The Unified Gateway?

The, admittedly probably not great, margin is there for Digiweb and Pure and Westnet etc. Vodafone are cutting of their nose to spite their face by staying off the network now.

SIRO pricing is on pre 2016 pricing. Probably less for Vodafone being an investor. But if they're already selling FTTC, there isn't that much of a difference for FTTH. At least not 150 mbit/s compared to FTTC.

Yep .... bad ... (understatement). A lot of orders require manual adjustment. Eir internally are even worse. They have at least 5 billing systems, one going back 20 years. And you could be in either of them. There's a poor lad tasked with merging them all in one. At least he's guaranteed a job for 10+ years.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Get on the eir train. Choo choo!

Somebody please pass me the sick bag!!

• Advertisement

turbbo wrote: »
    Somebody please pass me the sick bag!!

Tongue in cheek!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Since getting FTTH from eir I have had nothing but mega bills. Latest is 263.00, 171.00, 143.00 so on. Considering i'm on 150mb ( I signed up to 300mb) and calls are free and i'm on a set price of 55.00 per month how can this be. Internet is only used in evenings and for 3 -4 hours.
    Have to warn everyone to go with digiweb. I'm going to rip this thing out of wall and get digiweb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Since getting FTTH from eir I have had nothing but mega bills. Latest is 263.00, 171.00, 143.00 so on. Considering i'm on 150mb ( I signed up to 300mb) and calls are free and i'm on a set price of 55.00 per month how can this be. Internet is only used in evenings and for 3 -4 hours.
    Have to warn everyone to go with digiweb. I'm going to rip this thing out of wall and get digiweb.
    They are pretty serious looking bills. I presume they are for two months each. Can you not figure out what you are being charged for? Is it usage over the FUP maybe ?

rob808 wrote: »
    Hi you must of got pay as you go phone call I made the same mistake when I pre-order haven't got it yet.i have it sometime next week going to change it to unlimited call to phone and mobile.The package I pick was €55 to it turns out the phone pay as you go on that package you have ask for eir talk unlimited.

I have unlimited calls to UK AND IRISH MOBILES AND LANDLINES. On the bill all calls to such are down as 00.000, so it's not calls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

I have unlimited calls to UK AND IRISH MOBILES AND LANDLINES. On the bill all calls to such are down as 00.000, so it's not calls.

Did you go over you FUP? The total is 1TB per billing cycling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

raydator wrote: »
    I thought it was cap at €100 if you go over 1TB the bills do seem to be high.

Sorry, didn't see the bill for 263, your right its capped at 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My brother is a Vodafone dsl only broadband customer. His phone line is no longer active for telephone services. He was planning to talk to them on getting onto Open Eir's ftth. He told me since that he is going to order from Eir. Just only a week to ftth going live on my road. I have an order gone over 2 weeks. How quickly will I get an installation appointment after live day which is the 4th October. Fibre lines and splice boxes in place for almost 6 weeks now. I and my brother are on the same road and on the Inch St. Lawernce Limerick exchange.

raydator wrote: »

I'm careful not to watch anything in HD setting on youtube, not that I use youtube a lot.
    I browse there as anyone would. I stream no tv so on.
    I stream a football game once in a while, I could do that on my old 0.74 of a MB broadband.
    What is point of FTTH if you can't stream a football match once a month. Would be a stream of 360p also.

I'm careful not to watch anything in HD setting on youtube, not that I use youtube a lot.
    I stream a football game once in a while, I could do that on my old 0.74 of a MB broadband.
    What is point of FTTH if you can't stream a football match once a month. Would be a stream of 360p also.

You would be able to see your usage by logging into you MyEir account and looking at your usage.

Have you contacted them about it? What have they said? Care to post a screenshot of the 263 bill?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

263 euros, that's just insane. I pay that for 4 months of 300meg FTTH with Eir, so there is something terribly wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

Placed my 4th order for FTTH today. Last weeks order wasn’t passed on to Open Eir, apparently.

Spent 1 hour talking to them again. To reorder again. Send bank account details again. Confirm phone number again. Eircode again.

I couldn’t work in a call centre for all the tea in China but if I did I wouldn’t be an obtuse prick and willfully waste peoples time. The guy who took my order last week, which took 45 minutes obviously didn’t pass it on to anyone. Madness. Is that normal?

It’s funny now. Started the order process on the 21st of August.

I’m going to order every week until they block me. Or I’m taken into care.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Aren't your bills itemised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

There is something wrong if you are using 1 TB in the month doing that. Watching Youtube HD or streaming HD every now and then is not going to cause that. First thing I'd rule out is making sure you don't have malware on any device that's connected at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Can I ask folks, what has to happen once the fibre has been run to your housing estate. I live in a reasonably rural village and the estate has fibre running to a cabinet outside my house. Recently KN Networks have been in running fibre from this cabinet to one off housing in the Countryside or Road-Side close by. It turns out these people have managed to Order Fibre to the Home from Eir. Now, if any of the estate try to order it the EirCode says its available, but when you order it, during the process you stick in your phone number and it says its not available. KN Networks say its all ready and has been for a while.
    My question is which comes first, the remaining run into the house or the order. It would seem for the other houses, it was the order. How I don't know they have managed to order it.
    I currently have 12Mb using Vodafone. I tried ordering from Eir. Does anyone know if its just a waiting game or what needs to happen to get Fibre?
    BTW, I asked Vodafone and they said this is exclusively an Eir thing, and they wont be able to supply fibre. Any help appreciated.

Can I ask folks, what has to happen once the fibre has been run to your housing estate. I live in a reasonably rural village and the estate has fibre running to a cabinet outside my house. Recently KN Networks have been in running fibre from this cabinet to one off housing in the Countryside or Road-Side close by. It turns out these people have managed to Order Fibre to the Home from Eir. Now, if any of the estate try to order it the EirCode says its available, but when you order it, during the process you stick in your phone number and it says its not available. KN Networks say its all ready and has been for a while.
    My question is which comes first, the remaining run into the house or the order. It would seem for the other houses, it was the order. How I don't know they have managed to order it.
    I currently have 12Mb using Vodafone. I tried ordering from Eir. Does anyone know if its just a waiting game or what needs to happen to get Fibre?
    BTW, I asked Vodafone and they said this is exclusively an Eir thing, and they wont be able to supply fibre. Any help appreciated.

Firstly just confirm that your premises is due to be covered. Enter your Eircode on these two pages and post back what they say:

http://fibrerollout.ie (check rural 300k)

http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭SmithySeller

Navi, thanks..

First link says the following;
    Great news! Fibre broadband is now available to you offering speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. Click here to view service providers.

Second says the following;
    Eircode xxxyyy is in the BLUE AREA
    Your premises is in an area where commercial operators are delivering or have indicated plans to deliver high speed broadband services. Please contact us at broadband@dccae.gov.ie to let us know if you cannot get High Speed Broadband from the providers in your area.

I'll have a look at the providers, didn't even know that many was available. Anything else I should know, and if it ever happens any preferred providers?

Navi, thanks..

First link says the following;
    Great news! Fibre broadband is now available to you offering speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. Click here to view service providers.

Second says the following;
    Eircode xxxyyy is in the BLUE AREA
    Your premises is in an area where commercial operators are delivering or have indicated plans to deliver high speed broadband services. Please contact us at broadband@dccae.gov.ie to let us know if you cannot get High Speed Broadband from the providers in your area.

I'll have a look at the providers, didn't even know that many was available. Anything else I should know?

Just that eir and perhaps Westnet (depending on location) are the only ones offering free installation. It is up to yourself who you wish to subscribe to. As to why you are unable to complete an order perhaps phoning your supplier of choice may give you better luck. Make sure you clarify it is fibre to the home that you wish to order.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Tongue in cheek!

Phew! LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

There is something hugely wrong if you are a light user and you are going over 1TB per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Just that eir and perhaps Westnet (depending on location) are the only ones offering free installation. It is up to yourself who you wish to subscribe to. As to why you are unable to complete an order perhaps phoning your supplier of choice may give you better luck. Make sure you clarify it is fibre to the home that you wish to order.

If you check the eircode website, www.eircode.ie/can you verify your Eircode matches up to your actual house. I seen an estate somewhere before and eircode.ie's eircode allocation was out by 1.
    house 1, 2 & 3 were correct. but a number 3A existed in the estate that eircode.ie missed, so the 66 other houses in the estate were all labeled wrong.

This could have the impact that eir have the wrong eircode linked with your telephone number which is stopping your order.

(just one of many possible data issues that can occur)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Do you know which cabinet your line is connected to? Assuming you're in the green area maybe your line is connected to the planned blue FTTC cabinet and are currently on ADSL.

What does the NBP map indicate for your eircode - http://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

This is what I get when I input my eircode.

BLUE AREA
    "Your premises is in an area where commercial operators are delivering or have indicated plans to deliver high speed broadband services. Please contact us at broadband@dccae.gov.ie to let us know if you cannot get High Speed Broadband from the providers in your area"!

EDIT: When the mention "high speed broadband" are they only referring to regular 10-15mb broadband or are they talking about Fibre?

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    This is what I get when I input my eircode.

BLUE AREA
    "Your premises is in an area where commercial operators are delivering or have indicated plans to deliver high speed broadband services. Please contact us at broadband@dccae.gov.ie to let us know if you cannot get High Speed Broadband from the providers in your area"!

EDIT: When the mention "high speed broadband" are they only referring to regular 10-15mb broadband or are they talking about Fibre?

The definition of high speed broadband would be 30 Mbps upwards via FTTC or FTTH.
    It's possible your line may be connected to the planned fibre cabinet?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement