Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Theres a bespoke connection service for BIP circuits.
    - They are priced for enterprise customers (€500/mo would be a good deal)
    - They use P2P fibre (AFAIK) so you wouldnt be paying for 20m but more like a few KM to the exch (price of a Jag).

In a home scenario the only option for fixed line is to wait, or move home.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 whiteRascal

ED E wrote: »
    Theres a bespoke connection service for BIP circuits.
    - They are priced for enterprise customers (€500/mo would be a good deal)
    - They use P2P fibre (AFAIK) so you wouldnt be paying for 20m but more like a few KM to the exch (price of a Jag).

In a home scenario the only option for fixed line is to wait, or move home.

Well moving is not an option. I guess all we can do is wait another couple of years and hope for the best.
    Cheers for the help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

I got letter from Eir in the post today confirming my order.I pick the 150mb broadband and eir talk €55.The funny thing is I haven't even got it yet and my cooling of period start today and my install date the 11 October.

The cooling of period shouldn't start till install that mad.I wait see if the technician come on the 11 October he going to be here all day according to Eir sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

Job done. Went for the 150 package. Getting 137 down wireless on 5ghz and 29up.

Great bunch of fellas. I could tell he was in half a mind to cancel the order and I mentioned hot tea and buns and things went ahead. I also fished the fibre in from the gable wall and through the ceiling for them. I had a hole drilled in the ceiling as well.

Delighted. My wait is finally over. But what an ordeal. Dealing with Eir on the phone has taken years off my life. If I wasn’t such a patient person I’m sure I would have gone proper mental, breakdown territory. The KN guys were saying they are rushing around like crazy. Lots of orders are failing. 3 failed yesterday because of duct problems. They went the extra mile for me and I’m grateful. Have the kettle ready!!

Now, where is that Digiweb number...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Jes all this talk of duct problems is scaring me. My lane goes in front of my neighbours garden for about 20 meters and turns 90 degrees into my land, Ive no idea if the duct goes under my lane, beside it or right through my neighbours garden. Then it has to run under my lane outside the house to get to the front door id image.

Would running a line through it to check it be a good idea? What would I run?

The map says im first half of 2018, just afraid after all this time there will be a problem at the last minute

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Can you find it where it turns 90 degrees. If yes, I would advise exposing it and try to run bull wire to see if it clear.

No ive no idea where it turns, or if it takes a diagonal line.

Could I run it from the inside of the house where the copper line comes in?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

If you have access to duct/pipe opening you can try but it does not sound good.

I know where the eircom box in the ground is where the lines run to my house and the neighbours at the bottom of my road, so if I ran it from the house I could see it coming out there

• Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

I know where the eircom box in the ground is where the lines run to my house and the neighbours at the bottom of my road, so if I ran it from the house I could see it coming out there

My only advice is try and have as much ready for them as possible. Know exactly where you want everything. And have a shovel ready. They aren’t allowed to dig, they did a bit for me in fairness. And also repaired the duct with a bit of old pipe I had in the garage. It’s hard to tell what they will need. Depends on the KN crew that turn up. Most have been fairly good from what I’ve read here. Good luck

• Advertisement

There noise of my copper line think of using the voip if I change to that my phone number would be the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

rob808 wrote: »
    I got letter from Eir in the post today confirming my order.I pick the 150mb broadband and eir talk €55.The funny thing is I haven't even got it yet and my cooling of period start today and my install date the 11 October.

The cooling of period shouldn't start till install that mad.I wait see if the technician come on the 11 October he going to be here all day according to Eir sales.

Got no notification from Eir yet to confirm my order and date of installation.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Got no notification from Eir yet to confirm my order and date of installation.
    check your email I have post down as my way of contact doh I had to ring them to get my install date.

I do have an Email with the order confirmation from the 11 September but yet to get an email for the installation as today is live day for ftth on my road.

I do have an Email with the order confirmation from the 11 September but yet to get an email for the installation as today is live day for ftth on my road.
    I would ring up eir with your order number they should be able to tell you the install date.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

I ordered this morning (my road also live today). She gave me the install date on the phone and the e-mail confirmation for the install came an hour later. Install for next week (They must not be busy).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Will digiweb work with the Eir ONT and ODP?

Pangea wrote: »
    yea they resell broadband over open eir network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Yes, they are the demarcation point for open-eir wholesale, all retailers will use them.

• Advertisement

Blogin wrote: »
    I ordered this morning (my road also live today). She gave me the install date on the phone and the e-mail confirmation for the install came an hour later. Install for next week (They must not be busy).
    That nice im down for the 11 October for my install looking forward hopefully it go down right with no problems.

Do you know if OpenEir provide a service to connect a house/business or class it as "passed", if the owners are willing to pay for that final 20 or so meters?

No, they will only connect your house if it's on the rollout plan.

Check your eircode on the fibre-rollout site and have a look at the fibre-rollout map, does your house have a blue planned icon on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Hi Can you answer this query please as I am getting nowhere emailing the providers. I am on the FTTH roll out but have recently found out as I am within 1km of the exchange I will be in fact getting FTTC (Cabinet) with copper not fibre providing the speeds to my house. This has a max speed of 100mb/s, so can you tell me what plans I can avail of? As this is not FTTH and it is impossible for me to get the minimum 150mb/s speed offered on the lowest tier of the FTTH packages.

Is anyone here in the same 1km range from the cabinet, surely you can't be forced to take a FTTH plan when 150 mb/s limit is not obtainable on FTTC. Anyone dealt with this situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you're in the FTTC footprint you'll get an FTTC package.

Put your phone/address into a providers site and it will offer whats available, when its available. If you're at the 1KM mark it'll be somewhere around 40Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

Your ONT will be changed for digiweb one

sean72 wrote: »
    Is anyone here in the same 1km range from the cabinet, surely you can't be forced to take a FTTH plan when 150 mb/s limit is not obtainable on FTTC. Anyone dealt with this situation?

FTTC is branded as eir-Fibre (unlimited or 30GB), has a look at these eir pricing docs. Not to be confused with eir-Fibre Extreme (FTTH)

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf
    https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/pt4.1.10.pdf

• Advertisement

A good deal of houses have taken ftth connections in my exchange area. Most of them are overhead connections. One of my friends has a connection taken and he is not impressed atm. I think it's that Eir 2000 router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Chieftain

d31b0y wrote: »
    Same boat here re ducting. I sent KN an email to see if there is any interest in doing the work. I'll report back if they get back to me.
    I sent it to the general KN info address so if someone has a contact email for someone who is involved in the actual FTTH role out within KN, I'd be interested in getting it.

Would be great if they could do it, 250 doesn't sound too bad for getting it sorted. Keep us posted anyway if you get any joy

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

addict wrote: »
    Your ONT will be changed for digiweb one

Nope. The ONT is open eir's, it has nothing to do with the retail provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nope. The ONT is open eir's, it has nothing to do with the retail provider.

Hm, I had lads from Openeir in the house the other day fixing a phone fault. I asked them who installs the ONT and they told me it was KN. Maybe they were telling fibs out of fear of me asking them to do it for me.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    Hm, I had lads from Openeir in the house the other day fixing a phone fault. I asked them who installs the ONT and they told me it was KN. Maybe they were telling fibs out of fear of me asking them to do it for me.

KN working on behalf of open-eir.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

bfa1509 wrote: »

KN are the installation contractors. They install the ONT for open eir.

A retail operator (like Digiweb) places an order with open eir, who subcontract the actual installation to KN. KN run the fibre to the house and install the ONT. The customer plugs the Digiweb router into the ONT and gets service.

If the customer switches to another retail operator, open eir will make the configuration changes required to connect the ONT to the new operator's network. The ONT doesn't change, just the router.

My install date got bump up to this coming monday hope everything go well is there anything I need to know before the install thanks.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

My install date got bump up to this coming monday hope everything go well is there anything I need to know before the install thanks.

the possibility you may have a sleepless night on Sunday!

Gonzo wrote: »
    the possibility you may have a sleepless night on Sunday!
    I made a mistake still Wednesday but not to long to go

I made a mistake still Wednesday but not to long to go

Contacted Eir through web chat and I am down for the same day 11 October. My brother has ordered the ftth in the last week and he's down for next Thursday 12th.
    Is there still a restriction on the amount of fibre cable that can come into the house. I'm hoping to get in under the stairs off the hallway where I have the router and network center there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Contacted Eir through web chat and I am down for the same day 11 October. My brother has ordered the ftth in the last week and he's down for next Thursday 12th.
    Is there still a restriction on the amount of fibre cable that can come into the house. I'm hoping to get in under the stairs off the hallway where I have the router and network center there?
    1 metre inside the house is the farthest they'll go apparently.

I have other options as I have Ethernet cables wired from nearly every room to the location under the stairs. Unfortunately to my preferred location requires 4 to 5m of cable inside the house. Don't have power sockets convenient in the hallway to convert the fibre to Ethernet on it's way to the network center. I am thinking of creating a 2nd center in my study where the minimum amount of Fibre cable is required but there would be a good length pinned outside my house after it flies in along the existing copper from the pole.

OpenEir has just rang me for an installation tomorrow morning between 9am and 1pm. A report will be posted on this thread afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

So can anyone on ftth change to digiweb? I'm in Donegal and haven't heard of them here. Also if I switch would that mean I would lose my telephone number?

Just got a call myself from Eir offering installation, even though the Openeir site doesn't have a go live date for the area. The neighbouring village has just gone live. I'm tempted to let them go ahead even just to get a chance to talk to a KNN/Openeir guy about what I need to do to prepare for it..... Would that be worth doing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I gather they don't run cable to a chimney?

I have a pole. The existing phone line is through 13mm conduit from the foot of the pole with some bends in it, so I doubt that is usable. What radii can the cable be bent?

Would the installers leave a roll on the poll and be prepared to come back and finish the installation after the cable mysteriously found it's way to the chimney , through the attic and out the wall where the existing phone socket and router are located in the middle of the house?

Not sure why I am even asking. The map shows Autumn and not the slightest sign of anyone doing anything in the vicinity.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I gather they don't run cable to a chimney?
    Apparently not. Not sure whether that's elf-n-safety or because it results in sharp bends in the cable.
    I have a pole. The existing phone line is through 13mm conduit from the foot of the pole with some bends in it, so I doubt that is usable. What radii can the cable be bent?
    They want 32mm internal diameter minimum. There's a reference also to wanting 1 metre radius "slow bends" to ease drawing the cable through, but that doesn't sound like a hard requirement.
    Would the installers leave a roll on the poll and be prepared to come back and finish the installation after the cable mysteriously found it's way to the chimney , through the attic and out the wall where the existing phone socket and router are located in the middle of the house?
    Ha, Don't know but I doubt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Installation depends on the KN technician that you get. I've heard locally of lads just willing to drill a hole in wall and 1m maximum all they'll come into the house. Then you have the lad who called to me and allowed an attic installation. By the way, as can be seen in the photo of where the cable enters the air vent, it seems pretty flexible considering.

D.
    Decoda wrote: »
    So after a long wait Fibre has finally arrived. When it was first mooted, I was extremely skeptical. I live in an isolated part of the country by the coast on a cul de sac road with 10 houses, the majority being holiday homes. I just couldn't see how it would ever make financial sense for any supplier to bring fibre broadband to my locality and yet here we are.

At the moment the modem is temporarily left in the attic until I decide whether to permanently leave it there or relocate downstairs. If I do decide to leave it there then I will add a mains smoke alarm up there along with an additional power point to run a TP Link power-line system from. (At the moment there is the EIR Hardware box plugged direct into a socket and the Eir Modem and a TPLink plugged into a double adapter - temp measure until my electrician gets here)

I've been a thread lurker for a long time so many thanks for all the information along the way and the best of luck to those of you waiting for connection.

D.

Set up in the attic

205yqsl.jpg

Final Speed Test taken downstairs in the hallway....:P

13yq9g4.png

External Shots of Installation

2jepd1s.jpg

Its kind of hard to make out but the fitter brought the fibre approx halfway down the pole before bringing it across to the house. I plan on running some form of steel cable maybe??? to reinforce or provide some additional protection to it as I feel that it is sort of exposed.

2j4au6e.jpg

Where the fibre enters the house through an air vent.

2u9sar8.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭Schorpio

The Cush wrote: »
    No, they will only connect your house if it's on the rollout plan.

Check your eircode on the fibre-rollout site and have a look at the fibre-rollout map, does your house have a blue planned icon on it?

Hi all,

Just stumbled on this thread and looked my eircode up on the link. As I suspected, I'm amber on the rollout map, and thus included on the National Broadband Plan. I gave up on eir years ago and have been using fixed wireless in the meantime.

Forgive my ignorance, but being on the National Broadband Plan, I presume I can't do/receive anything fibre related at the moment and just have to play the waiting game?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

plodder wrote: »
    They want 32mm internal diameter minimum. There's a reference also to wanting 1 metre radius "slow bends" to ease drawing the cable through, but that doesn't sound like a hard requirement.

What are you basing that off?

Gipo3 wrote: »
    What are you basing that off?
    Openeir's "Guidelines for Customers when laying Ducting (Hydrodare) for Telecom Networks on their private property"

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Openeir's "Guidelines for Customers when laying Ducting (Hydrodare) for Telecom Networks on their private property"

Is there a link?

Gipo3 wrote: »
    Is there a link?

Attached.

Attached.

So 32mm O.D./25mm I.D. (1" hydrodare), they don't specify standard or heavy gauge hydrodare. 50mm "hockey stick" from ETU to hydrodare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Page 5 states minimum internal diameter of 32 mm so 25 mm I.D. won't do.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement