Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Page 5 states minimum internal diameter of 32 mm so 25 mm I.D. won't do.

My FTTH installed via existing 1/2” hydro pipe so it’s not a must.

If they can pull the cable through what’s there thats all that matters imo.

That said if someone installing new duct I would certainly install bigger diameter. I’d go 50mm if doing it again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Gooser14 wrote: »
    Page 5 states minimum internal diameter of 32 mm so 25 mm I.D. won't do.

Conflict between page 5 and the diagram on page 9.

Open-eir themselves are using 20/16 mm ducting between poles on the rural routes for 36 fibre cable so I think 25mm should be OK for the 2 fibre cable to the house.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

I hate to reignite the FUP chat on this thread but I just got off the phone with a man from Regional Broadband after seeing an advert earlier today. Their website says 'No hidden charges, Unlimited Broadband'. The assistant on the other end of the phone when asked bluntly "do they enforce a FUP of any sort like the other ISP's?" said 'No we most certainly do not. We understand that if you are receiving speeds of 1000Mb/s then you could theoretically reach your cap in under a day of use. We provide fully unlimited service.'
    That being said from what i can see on the openeir site, they're not yet listed as a FTTH reseller. Has anyone heard any stories regarding this ISP?

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/5769/MCtPCK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I hate to reignite the FUP chat on this thread but I just got off the phone with a man from Regional Broadband after seeing an advert earlier today. Their website says 'No hidden charges, Unlimited Broadband'. The assistant on the other end of the phone when asked bluntly "do they enforce a FUP of any sort like the other ISP's?" said 'No we most certainly do not. We understand that if you are receiving speeds of 1000Mb/s then you could theoretically reach your cap in under a day of use. We provide fully unlimited service.'
    That being said from what i can see on the openeir site, they're not yet listed as a FTTH reseller. Has anyone heard any stories regarding this ISP?

whose cap was being referred to?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

whose cap was being referred to?
    I assume Eir, Digiweb etc. I assume....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

The Cush wrote: »
    Conflict between page 5 and the diagram on page 9.

Open-eir themselves are using 20/16 mm ducting between poles on the rural routes for 36 fibre cable so I think 25mm should be OK for the 2 fibre cable to the house.

Most of that 20/16 is being pulled through larger preexisting duct whether concrete or plastic.

I've seen them do new ducting under trees. What they did was dig a trench and use lengths of the radius HDPE twin wall duct. Then they pulled the 20/16 through the twin wall. The KN guy said the 20/16 is pre roped so the fibre can then be pulled through.

http://www.radiustelecoms.com/products/telecoms-ducting-systems/hdpe-twin-wall-ducting/

I think the danger of using too small a diameter duct is it getting crushed by vehicular traffic.

Most of that 20/16 is being pulled through larger preexisting duct whether concrete or plastic.

I've seen them do new ducting under trees. What they did was dig a trench and use lengths of the radius HDPE twin wall duct. Then they pulled the 20/16 through the twin wall. The KN guy said the 20/16 is pre roped so the fibre can then be pulled through.

Around my area they simply dug a trench, dropped in the 20/16, no rope. In one particular section they ended up not using the duct at all, simply ran the cable from one pole to the next bypassing the duct, probably due to the fact the hedging had been cut after the duct was installed which cleared the path for the aerial cable.
    I think the danger of using too small a diameter duct is it getting crushed by vehicular traffic.

The new open-eir document posted above doesn't mention standard or heavy gauge hydrodare, if I was going this route I'd opt for the heavy gauge for that very reason, the danger of it being crushed by potentially heavy traffic above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Around my area they simply dug a trench, dropped in the 20/16, no rope. In one particular section they ended up not using the duct at all, simply ran the cable from one pole to the next bypassing the duct, probably due to the fact the hedging had been cut after the duct was installed which cleared the path for the aerial cable.

It's strange the different standards in work depending on which crew is involved. If you go to the trouble of digging a trench at least put some larger ducting in for the future.
    The new open-eir document posted above doesn't mention standard or heavy gauge hydrodare, if I was going this route I'd opt for the heavy gauge for that very reason, the danger of it being crushed by potentially heavy traffic above.

I think this is the best advice for anyone considering doing it themselves.

It's strange the different standards in work depending on which crew is involved. If you go to the trouble of digging a trench at least put some larger ducting in for the future.
    Around my rural area I don't we'll ever require larger ducting, the new fibre cabling will suffice for many years into the future.

Schorpio wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance, but being on the National Broadband Plan, I presume I can't do/receive anything fibre related at the moment and just have to play the waiting game?

Yes, waiting game I'm afraid. There's a thread on the NBP in this forum.

Final two tenders in for the two contracts were submitted last week.
    After this stage of assessment the two companies are expected to submit their final proposals early next year with the contracts to be awarded after that.

• Advertisement

Like Net1, Regional Broadband say they can provide Fibre to the Home Nationwide without a limited FUP
    Residential Broadband

Our Residential Broadband options include Wireless Plus with speeds up to 70 Mb and Regional Fibre, offering speeds up to 1000Mb (1Gb). Our coverage area for Wireless Plus includes Carlow, Wexford, Wicklow, Kildare, Waterford and Dublin. Our Fibre Offering is available nationwide.

https://www.regionalbroadband.ie/residential-broadband/

So we have 3 companies without an FUP limit for FTTH, the third being Westnet but they don't offer a nationwide service that I know of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Who are the three unlimited? Westnet, regional bb,??

Regional bb I'll have to check out

Who are the three unlimited? Westnet, regional bb,??

Regional bb I'll have to check out

Net1

Ooh yes I knew that but forgot, I'll have to weigh them up against regional thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

What happens if monitored alarm on existing phone line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Gipo3 wrote: »
    That would use the copper line not sure they can use the FIbre line.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Nope. The ONT is open eir's, it has nothing to do with the retail provider.

Then explain why they had to change mine ????

Pangea wrote: »
    So can anyone on ftth change to digiweb? I'm in Donegal and haven't heard of them here. Also if I switch would that mean I would lose my telephone number?

Yes anyone in Donegal can change to Digiweb

KN are the installation contractors. They install the ONT for open eir.

A retail operator (like Digiweb) places an order with open eir, who subcontract the actual installation to KN. KN run the fibre to the house and install the ONT. The customer plugs the Digiweb router into the ONT and gets service.

If the customer switches to another retail operator, open eir will make the configuration changes required to connect the ONT to the new operator's network. The ONT doesn't change, just the router.

ONT does be changed when provider changes

Gipo3 wrote: »

tell them when they are signing you up and they will keep your copper line

• Advertisement

addict wrote: »

Can't see the reason why, faulty unit/upgraded model? It's the open-eir demarcation point on the line and pairs with the OLT in the exchange. All the open-eir docs refer to it as such, including the €270 wholesale installation charge and at the moment is paid for by the first retailer to use it at initial install.

Who actually changed the ONT, digiweb crew or KN crew?
    What's the make/model no.?
    Is there any digiweb branding on it?

Can't see the reason why, faulty unit/upgraded model? It's the open-eir demarcation point on the line and pairs with the OLT in the exchange. All the open-eir docs refer to it as such, including the €270 wholesale installation charge and at the moment is paid for by the first retailer to use it at initial install.

Who actually changed the ONT, digiweb crew or KN crew?
    What's the make/model no.?
    Is there any digiweb branding on it?

KN man replaced it with same model of box and I have the old Eir ONT one ,as he said software is locked and can’t be reprogrammed , I said to him that that is crazy this day n age and he agreed but said that’s how they have to connect a new supplier

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ONT does be changed when provider changes
    KN man replaced it with same model of box and I have the old Eir ONT one ,as he said software is locked and can’t be reprogrammed , I said to him that that is crazy this day n age and he agreed but said that’s how they have to connect a new supplier

That's not how it's supposed to work. It doesn't matter that the ONT can't be reprogrammed; it doesn't have to be reprogrammed. The port between retailers happens in the exchange, and shouldn't even require an engineer visit.

I don't know why your ONT was replaced, but standard procedure is to leave the ONT in situ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

That being said from what i can see on the openeir site, they're not yet listed as a FTTH reseller.

The fiberrollout site is out for several resellers. Some not listed at all, some listed as FTTC only, even though they sell FTTH. I wouldn't take it for granted.

/M

That's not how it's supposed to work. It doesn't matter that the ONT can't be reprogrammed; it doesn't have to be reprogrammed. The port between retailers happens in the exchange, and shouldn't even require an engineer visit.

I don't know why your ONT was replaced, but standard procedure is to leave the ONT in situ.

You are all learned men here and know more than the KN boys so you need to send a email and tell them about now having to replace the ONT as they just replaced TWO more ONT boxes of people that I know that changed providers ( what a waste of the KN men’s time when they don’t know anything about how to do there work that they have trained to do )

There are a few insiders that post here occasionally, maybe they could confirm the reason for changing the ONT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are a few insiders that post here occasionally, maybe they could confirm the reason for changing the ONT.

The only thing that comes to mind is UG doesnt have an order type for transferring an existing install yet. So instead transfers are done by a cancellation and re-install.

ED E wrote: »
    The only thing that comes to mind is UG doesnt have an order type for transferring an existing install yet. So instead transfers are done by a cancellation and re-install.

And another €270 ONT install fee?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

ED E wrote: »
    The only thing that comes to mind is UG doesnt have an order type for transferring an existing install yet.

It does. PNO with line type FTTH.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Got installed this morning by a KN technician who came up from West Clare. In my previous posts I was stating that my network center is under the stairs off the hallway. He ran the drop cable over to an extra pole to aim into the back of my house. My house is built at a 90 degree angle to the road with the original part built in the 1930s. The Fibre was terminated just inside the inner kitchen which is in a 1960s extension. He ran an Ethernet cable to the location under the stairs where a new Eir 2000 is in place of my Netgear N600 router. The IPad only managed 50mbits connected to the Eir 2000 at 5ghz wifi. Set up my netgear router in my study where I have a big desktop PC. My smartphone managed almost 130 mb at 5 Ghz from the Netgear router. The technician advised to use the 5ghz but a lot of wifi devices use only 2.4 ghz. I live on n the Inch St Lawernce Limerick exchange area where my run became live last Wednesday. The technician installed a neighbour a half mile up road after me. Probably I have the first connection on the road.

The multicore Fibre cable went up on a Saturday in July.
    The splice boxes went up near me on a another Saturday in August.
    I got connected to ftth today, a Saturday.

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The multicore Fibre cable went up on a Saturday in July.
    The splice boxes went up near me on a another Saturday in August.
    I got connected to ftth today, a Saturday.

A lot of weekend work involved in this rollout, there was a crew in my area, Murroe, last Sunday working on splice boxes. Good luck with your new connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

My sister got FTTH there this Saturday they had big problem trying to get it in because of Eir saying it wasn't available.They were talking to a guy that work for knn he was saying that it was available and to keep asking Eir they decided to ring them up again because there was a box outside there house were the fibre is there semi rural in a small village in a estate.

They said the same thing it unavailable so they rang digiweb which said yea it available and install it on Saturday digiweb said they don't monitor the download limit and if they do decide to they would just throttle you.

This might explain why take up of FTTH low people being told it unavailable when in fact it is available.

According to my observation the take up of ftth is quite good. I am seeing connections going into at least 1/3 oh houses near me. My observation is based on seeing 2 drop lines going into individual houses. Also seeing drop cables coming out of splice boxes. It is easy to confuse the copper and fibre drop cables but the fiber is a bit thinner than the copper.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Jpmarn wrote: »
    According to my observation the take up of ftth is quite good. I am seeing connections going into at least 1/3 oh houses near me. My observation is based on seeing 2 drop lines going into individual houses. Also seeing drop cables coming out of splice boxes. It is easy to confuse the copper and fibre drop cables but the fiber is a bit thinner than the copper.

same in my area, plenty of connections already made around me with 2 wires going to many of the homes, 1 being the thicker copper and the other being the thinner fibre. Half the homes on my road alone are connected. I know of 2 homes where the owners are still on ADSL, the owners are in their 70s and don't want to pay any extra for FTTH and are waiting for Vodafone to eventually offer FTTH in the area as neither homes want anything to do with Eir.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    same in my area, plenty of connections already made around me with 2 wires going to many of the homes, 1 being the thicker copper and the other being the thinner fibre. Half the homes on my road alone are connected. I know of 2 homes where the owners are still on ADSL, the owners are in their 70s and don't want to pay any extra for FTTH and are waiting for Vodafone to eventually offer FTTH in the area as neither homes want anything to do with Eir.
    I would imagine that the ADSL is "flying" for them as almost everyone else has moved to fibre, their contention ratio is probably 2:1, rather than about 40:1 like in the pre-fibre days.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

rob808 wrote: »
    My sister got FTTH there this Saturday they had big problem trying to get it in because of Eir saying it wasn't available.They were talking to a guy that work for knn he was saying that it was available and to keep asking Eir they decided to ring them up again because there was a box outside there house were the fibre is there semi rural in a small village in a estate.

They said the same thing it unavailable so they rang digiweb which said yea it available and install it on Saturday digiweb said they don't monitor the download limit and if they do decide to they would just throttle you.

This might explain why take up of FTTH low people being told it unavailable when in fact it is available.
    I signed up for FTTH with Eir on 5th May. Long story of endless phone calls, months of false promises and frustration. Last Monday I was told it would be 5th December. Reason given was work need to be done " ducting etc" I know full well there is no work to be done. I was the first to apply in my area, yet all my neighbours are already connected (although with much frustration).
    Rang Digiweb straight away, accepting I would have to pay €200 connection fee. Router was delivered by courier on Friday, KN crew came out and connected me on Saturday. I now have FTTH.
    Digiweb were so much better to deal with, and don't have the same levels of bureaucracy as Eir.
    Digiweb delivered in one week, €55 per month, 12 month contract.
    Will post the obligatory speed test shots later...

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Conor Pope has a piece in todays Irish Times. Another customer has "The Eir Experience".
    Will they ever learn. Their customer service is unbelievable.

Eir just took 170 odd euro despite being told to not take it and they also confirmed that the install fee had been waived before this anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

How a business is allowed to act like that in total disregard for customer service is a disgrace.

Over 2 months i have been emailing looking to see what has happened my order, 7 or 8 emails, twice i got a reply asking for details i had included in the mail, order number etc, i reply including everything and no reply again. Its like they deliberately try to grind you down.

I know where my order is, but i just want them to admit that the live figures are complete bullsh1t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 irishd

plodder wrote: »
    Just got a call myself from Eir offering installation, even though the Openeir site doesn't have a go live date for the area. The neighbouring village has just gone live. I'm tempted to let them go ahead even just to get a chance to talk to a KNN/Openeir guy about what I need to do to prepare for it..... Would that be worth doing?

Better get your shovel out ... looks like Oldtown has gone live for ordering FTTH on eir.ie website.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

irishd wrote: »
    Better get your shovel out ... looks like Oldtown has gone live for ordering FTTH on eir.ie website.

Yeah, I got a call about it the other day, but didn't order as I was sceptical from reports here. The openeir site still has no date for going live. But, over the weekend I noticed that the splitter box was up on the pole outside the house, and looks ready to go. I might go ahead and order, and see what happens.

Ran speed test on a wired connection, on three different test sites (speedtest.net, Google's own via M-Lab, and Digiweb, which is run via Ookla), with all other devices turned off. Laptop is capable of Gigabit speeds, so no issues there. Not sure why I can't get near the full potential speed of my connection (150Mb). Only got connected this morning, so would there be such a thing as a "bedding in"period? (not complaining though...)
    tSqOk80.jpgMNujTC2.jpggwGZulX.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 irishd

plodder wrote: »
    Yeah, I got a call about it the other day, but didn't order as I was sceptical from reports here. The openeir site still has no date for going live. But, over the weekend I noticed that the splitter box was up on the pole outside the house, and looks ready to go. I might go ahead and order, and see what happens.

Maybe check with Digiweb or other provider - if they see it as live then is probably safe enough to proceed.

banjopeter wrote: »
    Ran speed test on a wired connection, on three different test sites (speedtest.net, Google's own via M-Lab, and Digiweb, which is run via Ookla), with all other devices turned off. Laptop is capable of Gigabit speeds, so no issues there. Not sure why I can't get near the full potential speed of my connection (150Mb). Only got connected this morning, so would there be such a thing as a "bedding in"period? (not complaining though...)

windows key + R, "control netconnections", right click your internet adaptor and select status, what is the link speed?

My guess is it's not 1 Gbps due to bad cable or something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭tipping

KN guy came out this morning. Wants me to run duct from the road to the house. Would 1" duct be ok?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

tipping wrote: »
    KN guy came out this morning. Wants me to run duct from the road to the house. Would 1" duct be ok?
    see post 8399

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I'm Still without Internet, Eir said I have to wait for the provisional failure order to process and all errors to clear up and then order again. I just got an email saying my order for ftth is processed and a technician will come out for install on the 18th. Obviously I have it installed already so not sure if this is just an automated message. The manager from Eir said she wasn't sure if all I needed was it to be electronically enabled or else a technician may need to come to my local exchange to enable, any ideas?

windows key + R, "control netconnections", right click your internet adaptor and select status, what is the link speed?

My guess is it's not 1 Gbps due to bad cable or something like that
    Yes, had looked at that. Speed goes from 180, 216, 243, 270 to 300 Mbps. I'll be happy with close to promised 150 Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

banjopeter wrote: »
    Yes, had looked at that. Speed goes from 180, 216, 243, 270 to 300 Mbps. I'll be happy with close to promised 150 Mbps.

Thats Wifi!

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement