Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

that's numberwang

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

ED E wrote: »
    Thats Wifi!
    You are right of course! Did it with ethernet, and the speed is 100 Mbps. So, is the setting change with the provider, or can I adjust anything from my end via the router? Probably not...

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

5KbVDWZ.png

I only get these speeds randomly.

When I check at peak times 8-11pm it's as low as 60-90mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cirod

raydator wrote: »

I was of the opinion that ftth was less susceptible to drop off at peak times. That's a significant drop. Hoping to get installed tomorrow. Failed attemot at the weekend due to 'low light'...KN guy said all the work is done but my road is not 'on' in my local exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

banjopeter wrote: »
    You are right of course! Did it with ethernet, and the speed is 100 Mbps. So, is the setting change with the provider, or can I adjust anything from my end via the router? Probably not...

If the cable is appropriate you need a new network card for your PC or a new laptop if its one.

Cirod wrote: »
    I was of the opinion that ftth was less susceptible to drop off at peak times. That's a significant drop. Hoping to get installed tomorrow. Failed attemot at the weekend due to 'low light'...KN guy said all the work is done but my road is not 'on' in my local exchange.

Well, see what they don't tell you is the bandwidth they have going to the distribution point which feeds the distribution boxes.

So I have at least 20+ distribution boxes hanging off my local distribution point. The distribution point only has 2GB's feeding it(confirmed by KN engineer who installed the distribution boxes in my area), so even if there is only one house hanging off each distribution box(which can be normally up to 4) , then for me my connection will be at a min 20:1 connection ratio.

So if it only has 2GB's feed the distribution point and I'm on the 1GB connection, then it's not hard to see how peak times will affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Cirod

Wasn't aware of that. Worth knowing, thanks - at least your peak times are still very usable for most needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Well, see what they don't tell you is the bandwidth they have going to the distribution point which feeds the distribution boxes.

So I have at least 20+ distribution boxes hanging off my local distribution point. The distribution point only has 2GB's feeding it(confirmed by KN engineer who installed the distribution boxes in my area), so even if there is only one house hanging off each distribution box(which can be normally up to 4) , then for me my connection will be at a min 20:1 connection ratio.

So if it only has 2GB's feed the distribution point and I'm on the 1GB connection, then it's not hard to see how peak times will affect me.

It has been posted here several times that the system has been designed with 2.5 Gb/s down and 1.2 Gb/s up split up to 1:31. This is standard in residential broadband provisioning. You still should not see such slowdowns over a considerable period of time.

9726 posted about it previously.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103250365&postcount=14

It has been posted here several times that the system has been designed with 2.5 Gb/s down and 1.2 Gb/s up split up to 1:31. This is standard in residential broadband provisioning. You still should not see such slowdowns over a considerable period of time.

9726 posted about it previously.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=103250365&postcount=14

Yes, I know there's a contention ratio and that's what I was pointing out to the previous poster.
    Not sure what your point is?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Yes, I know there's a contention ratio and that's what I was pointing out to the previous poster.
    Not sure what your point is?

Just your post seemed like you were revealing some heretofore unknown inside information.

Anyway have you tried multiple parallel downloads from somewhere like heanet to test the connection? I would not trust a random speedtest sever to benchmark a 1Gb connection.

http://ftp.heanet.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

The reason you are only seeing 100mb is due to the connection between your laptop and the router. That is the bottleneck in your connection. Eir are sending 150mbps to your router but your laptop is not getting it. The router Eir sent is capable of supporting 1000mbps so the issue is one of just two things. Your network cable is faulty, or the network card in your machine is not capable of 1000mbps. I'm guessing you are using the cable Eir supplied with the router, and as it's a brand new cable I'd guess your network card isn't up to the job.

If you are trying to do this just to prove you're getting what you are paying for, I wouldn't bother as I am confident you are.

What I mean by that is, how often are you going to use the network cable with the laptop in the real world? Maybe not often as I would think the whole point is that it is wireless and has some freedom.

What wireless networks can you see? Just one ending 2.4ghz or can you also see the 5ghz network on the laptop. If you can only see 2.4 GHz then your laptop doesn't support the faster wireless band and you won't see your full speed wirelessly.

Just enjoy the fast internet you have now. As you replace older tech in the house with new stuff you will see them run faster as they will be compatible and capable of using all your bandwidth.

vintagevrs wrote: »
    The reason you are only seeing 100mb is due to the connection between your laptop and the router. That is the bottleneck in your connection. Eir are sending 150mbps to your router but your laptop is not getting it. The router Eir sent is capable of supporting 1000mbps so the issue is one of just two things. Your network cable is faulty, or the network card in your machine is not capable of 1000mbps. I'm guessing you are using the cable Eir supplied with the router, and as it's a brand new cable I'd guess your network card isn't up to the job.

If you are trying to do this just to prove you're getting what you are paying for, I wouldn't bother as I am confident you are.

What I mean by that is, how often are you going to use the network cable with the laptop in the real world? Maybe not often as I would think the whole point is that it is wireless and has some freedom.

What wireless networks can you see? Just one ending 2.4ghz or can you also see the 5ghz network on the laptop. If you can only see 2.4 GHz then your laptop doesn't support the faster wireless band and you won't see your full speed wirelessly.

Just enjoy the fast internet you have now. As you replace older tech in the house with new stuff you will see them run faster as they will be compatible and capable of using all your bandwidth.

Thanks for that. My laptop and mobile are both well capable of hi wifi speeds, as I've checked the specs. Even better, I've used both in my neighbours house, where they have FTTH, with Eir. I was getting 140+ speeds without issue. I am with Digiweb, 150 Mbps , and am using their Fritzbox 7560, which I'm sure is fine.
    I checked the patch cable that came with the Fritzbox, which is yellow, and I cannot find any code on the sheathing, but I wonder is it Cat5? I have a similar cable which does have code printed on it, saying "Cat5".
    The specs for Cat5 say 100Mbps, so perhaps that is the bottleneck?
    Would Digiweb actually send out a router for a Gigabit capable connection which comes with only a Cat5 cable?
    Would explain a lot.

Try a different cable

Try a different cable
    Just tried again wirelessly and got 106 down, so the Digiweb cable must be OK, if Speedtest is to be trusted. Will get some better cables when I can, and get back to more important things in life...lPvnHbI.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

• Advertisement

Just tried again wirelessly and got 106 down, so the Digiweb cable must be OK, if Speedtest is to be trusted. Will get some better cables when I can, and get back to more important things in life...

Forget the speed test until you see 1Gbps link speed on your wired ethernet adapter status. Turn off WiFi too.

I agree though just forget about it if you're using WiFi all the time you won't notice the difference in speed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 irishd

plodder wrote: »
    Yeah, I got a call about it the other day, but didn't order as I was sceptical from reports here. The openeir site still has no date for going live. But, over the weekend I noticed that the splitter box was up on the pole outside the house, and looks ready to go. I might go ahead and order, and see what happens.

I went ahead and ordered, anyway, quoting install in 5-7 working days ... we'll see!

Now to find a decent router to use instead of the F2000 PoC ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

irishd wrote: »
    I went ahead and ordered, anyway, quoting install in 5-7 working days ... we'll see!

Now to find a decent router to use instead of the F2000 PoC ...
    Let us know how you get on. I'm going to rent a mini-digger and install the duct myself first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

KOR101 wrote: »

What a crock! And Eir gets fined buttons! No wonder they can keep on keeping on. How many more people never went the length of Comreg or anywhere else and just paid up and shut up? Horrible company :mad:

Our situation is still bad, I won't even go into detail but Eir could offer us free internet for the year and at this stage we wouldn't accept it.

I read people saying stay away but thought I did my due diligence asking every question and meeting higher up people etc, but I should have listened and stayed away.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee,
    I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Our situation is still bad, I won't even go into detail but Eir could offer us free internet for the year and at this stage we wouldn't accept it.

I read people saying stay away but thought I did my due diligence asking every question and meeting higher up people etc, but I should have listened and stayed away.

"There's an old saying in Tennessee,
    I know it's in Texas, probably in Tennessee that says, 'Fool me once, shame on ... shame on you. Fool me... You can't get fooled again!'"

The US didn't even exist when the original of this 'fool me...' proverb was first formulated.
    “For once deceiv'd, was his; but twice were mine”

Achilles during the “THE EMBASSY TO ACHILLES” in Homer’s Iliad (Translation Alexander Pope)

762 BC, give or take a couple. ;)

your head wasn't even formulated when the reference went over it

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

"And still they gazed and still their wonder grew......."

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ninkel

Et tu, Brute !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

garroff wrote: »
    "And still they gazed and still their wonder grew......."
    don't misunderestimate them..

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Gipo3

Supposed to have installation tomorrow. Do eir contact before install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Gipo3 wrote: »

Kn ring you half hour before hand, but sometimes they just show up without notice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Gipo3 wrote: »
    yea they should contract you my install tomorrow and Eir call me to confirm my install for tomorrow from 9am to 5pm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

KOR101 wrote: »

Says a lot about eir's attitude and systems. However, says a lot more about the possibility of any normal pensioner affording ffth.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

No installs here today. After booking a half day off work, kn came this morning and say the boxes on the poles are not live.

• Advertisement

Blogin wrote: »
    No installs here today. After booking a half day off work, kn came this morning and say the boxes on the poles are not live.
    yea mine seem a failed install the duct to small so does anybody know any contractors that could do me a new duct.

Installed today through 1/2" hydrodare no probs.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    yea mine seem a failed install the duct to small so does anybody know any contractors that could do me a new duct.

thats a pity. Is there not a telephone pole near your home, where they can drop the wire from the pole to the roof of your house.?

It's a pity KN don't offer to fix the duct, even for an extra fee.

Whats the situation when changing from Sky broadband and phone to Eir FTTH. I'm assuming I dont have to cancel Sky, that it will be taken care of as before?

Just seen this on Sky T&C's:
    Outside of your Minimum Term, you can also cancel your subscription by either transferring your
    Service(s) to an alternative service provider
    or giving us 31 days’ notice at any time (depending on
    what type of service you are moving to (if any)).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

My brother got ftth installed yesterday. The technician was a younger man from Nenagh. Co Tipperary. His Fibre line was flown from the pole with the splice approximately 25m to his pole on the perimeter of his property. The line was ducted alongside the existing copper to the inside of the back door into the utility room. The Fibre was wired upstairs directly above to his office room. The cable was terminated and the new Eir F2000 router was installed in place of his old dsl one. There is a generous amount of Fibre in his house. I thought the Fibre would be terminated in the utility with an Ethernet cable wired up to the office room directly above.

Since the Fibre line went live last week on my road there has been five houses connected to it as of last night. My brother was installed yesterday morning and a house near where the main Fibre cables terminates got connected. I know there is at least one other household awaiting installation with another on the point of ordering. The local national school has yet to be connected. At the moment there is some sort of a WiMAX antenna facing south west on the school building. I don't know who is the service provider. At the moment there should be 7 connections on my road out of possible 24 premises by the end of the week.

I noticed the uptake is poor around the Pallasgreen area ATM particularly Old Pallas and on the road to herberstown. Is it not live in Pallasgreen village as Blogin explained in his last post. I suppose the take probably range from poor in some areas to fairly good in other.
    Has Inch St. Lawernce exchange leapfrogged Pallsgreen in the Fibre stakes in Co. Limerick?

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Since the Fibre line went live last week on my road there has been five houses connected to it as of last night. My brother was installed yesterday morning and a house near where the main Fibre cables terminates got connected. I know there is at least one other household awaiting installation with another on the point of ordering. The local national school has yet to be connected. At the moment there is some sort of a WiMAX antenna facing south west on the school building. I don't know who is the service provider. At the moment there should be 7 connections on my road out of possible 24 premises by the end of the week.

I noticed the uptake is poor around the Pallasgreen area ATM particularly Old Pallas and on the road to herberstown. Is it not live in Pallasgreen village as Blogin explained in his last post. I suppose the take probably range from poor in some areas to fairly good in other.
    Has Inch St. Lawernce exchange leapfrogged Pallsgreen in the Fibre stakes in Co. Limerick?

It's definitely live in Pallasgreen village. I've seen them installing.

The pallasgreen exchange went live may 3rd. My road (still in the village) has only gone live and taking orders on the web site since October 4th. But as of this morning, it's not really live on my road and those black boxes are obviously Christmas decorations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

I thought the Fibre would be terminated in the utility with an Ethernet cable wired up to the office room directly above.

Depends on how flexible the installer is.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

The local national school has yet to be connected. At the moment there is some sort of a WiMAX antenna facing south west on the school building. I don't know who is the service provider.

It may be a while before it moves to fibre. Primary school broadband is awarded to service providers who bid for lots of schools under the terms of a framework agreement. Even if the existing provider can also provide FTTH (and there are not many wireless providers who also provide FTTH), there's no real incentive to upgrade it before it comes to the end of its contract term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I think this was discussed before, but anyone know if the Bundle prices on the Eir site include the €2 discount for Direct Debit?

Knn are very lazy guys dont want do any hard work at all very disappointed with them as a company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Knn are very lazy guys dont want do any hard work at all very disappointed with them as a company.

Kentucky Fried Networks.

Its a gamble, some of them are ex teclo and great. Some were digging footpaths last week and somebody handed them a JDSU and said "go".

I was called yesterday to confirm my install for today and then they said the installer is very busy tomorrow and would I like to postpone. I said no. This morning the splice box isn't live. I can't help wondering if he was just looking for any reason to cancel some jobs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Try to different speedtest servers. A lot of them only have a GigE interface on the server. If multiple people are doing speedtest, you can't archieve gigabit speeds.

Never just test to one.

/M

• Advertisement

There is now 6 houses with ftth on my road including mine and my brother. Couple of connections between Caherconlish and Beary's Cross and I believe at least one if not both of the pubs in Boher is connected. Saw a KN van there with the ladder going up a pole with splice box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

ED E wrote: »
    Kentucky Fried Networks.

Its a gamble, some of them are ex teclo and great. Some were digging footpaths last week and somebody handed them a JDSU and said "go".

Nah .. KN stands for "know nothing".

/M

What size ducting do you need for fibre optics cable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

What size ducting do you need for fibre optics cable.

The standard is supposed to be 37mm ID.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Marlow wrote: »
    Nah .. KN stands for "know nothing".

/M
    I found KN group guys very helpful, in my area anyway

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement