Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

rob808 wrote: »
    What size ducting do you need for fibre optics cable.

Recommended is 32mm O.D./25mm I.D. (1" hydrodare), they don't specify standard or heavy gauge hydrodare. See post #8399. They will install in narrower duct, ½" hydrodare, provided there's no blockage.

New_Picture.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Cush it recommends 50mm for long runs I have to go 100 meters.I just want make sure knn has no excuse for not running the fibre down it do think I should get 50mm ducting thanks.

rob808 wrote: »
    Cush it recommends 50mm for long runs I have to go 100 meters.I just want make sure knn has no excuse for not running the fibre down it do think I should get 50mm ducting thanks.

2" hydrodare or 50mm PVC duct pipe or 50mm ESB duct (50m roll x2 + coupler)

https://www.goodwins.ie/50mm-amp-60mm-ducting/c-538.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Three weeks later and I finally got my fibre back working, a long process which ended when a KN installer came today and replaced the ONT with a new one. Back up and running again, but still problems with My Eir, details not showing up properly Il have to ring about that tomorrow. Cant login from the app either.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Hello447

How do you guys cope with the 1TB monthly cap? Just got it today and getting around 300mb/s which is great but with 3-4 people using it at a time the limit will be more than likely exceeded every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

If you exceed your quota regularly the other option is get another account of unlimited, I have two accounts for completely different reason, speed, I pay for two accounts but I don't have a choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Hello447 wrote: »
    How do you guys cope with the 1TB monthly cap? Just got it today and getting around 300mb/s which is great but with 3-4 people using it at a time the limit will be more than likely exceeded every month.

I honestly would have went with WestNet for the true unlimited but my father needs the landline so had to stick with eir.

I dunno, I survived on a 300gig limit with vodafone for years back in the day. I only download a few programs and steam games now and then so it's not too bad. I never was one for 4k video, but I can see it being tough to survive if you downloaded or streamed alot of TV shows.

I suppose you'll have to grin and bear it and monitor your downloads. 1000 TB a month is about 33GB a day. It's not too bad, although I'm not defending their disgusting practice of plastering "UNLIMITED" everywhere all over their ****ing website and hiding the fair use policy deep in their terms... it should NOT be allowed to be called unlimited. They should just have to say 1TB a month for **** sake. At-least let companies like WestNet have an advantage in their marketing when they are providing you MORE.

Now I work Mon-Fri and don't get home till 6 and everyone else in the house is a very light user so it's grand and hard enough to go over the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

"I honestly would have went with WestNet for the true unlimited but my father needs the landline so had to stick with eir."

VOIP? keep the number.

Im digging up me garden at moment putting ducting down with my second install next week.Im going use the voip as dsl line very poor and there noise on the line.

How long after getting FTTH in does the My Eir site usage chart start working?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Duff Man Jr.

Sorry to go OT but I can't get a straight answer anywhere, I have ftth should I Plug landline phone into modem or leave in wall socket?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sorry to go OT but I can't get a straight answer anywhere, I have ftth should I Plug landline phone into modem or leave in wall socket?

If you upgraded or moved service and kept a landline number: Wall
    If it was a totally new service: Modem

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I am hoping that a new reseller of Eir's FTTH will enter the market before my 12 month contract is up so that I can move to a service provider that provides truly unlimited data.

Eir have removed the 'absolutely no usage limits' text and graphics from their website so they are not going to be upgrading or removing the FUP any time soon as they are getting away with charging people up to an extra 100 euros per month for going over the limit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

I'm still seeing 'Unlimited Extreme Fibre broadband. Ireland's fastest broadband with unlimited usage' on their website

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm still seeing 'Unlimited Extreme Fibre broadband. Ireland's fastest broadband with unlimited usage' on their website

they still have unlimited in their wording but got rid of the 'doubling down' on the unlimited. http://www.boards.ie/ttfpost/104932874

and just out of interest, I just checked my line with Vodafone and I am now passing for Vodafone 1000 meg FTTH!. Their tv option is also now suddenly available to me.

' Our line check showed that the maximum speed your line can currently achieve is 1,000Mbps with 100 Mbps broadband plan.The speed coming down the line is what we refer to as 'line speed'. This is determined by the type of broadband that is in your area (Fibre, uncongested or DSL) and how far your house is from your local telephone exchange and local cabinet.'

Price: 40 euros for first 6 months and 45 per month afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Gonzo wrote: »
    ' Our line check showed that the maximum speed your line can currently achieve is 1,000Mbps with 100 Mbps broadband plan.'

Price: 40 euros for first 6 months and 45 per month afterwards.

Wonder how they squeeze 1 Gbit/s down a 100 Mbit/s line :) ... and the GigE product is usually priced at 90 EUR/month after the first 6 months.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Wonder how they squeeze 1 Gbit/s down a 100 Mbit/s line :) ... and the GigE product is usually priced at 90 EUR/month after the first 6 months.

/M

it just updated to being available today.

The price listed is really for FTTC broadband only, I reckon they haven't launched their OpenEir FTTH plans/pricing yet, but when they do, I'll expect it to be slightly cheaper than Eir. Vodafone are also meant to be more relaxed about the FUP than Eir.

Vodafone are also meant to be more relaxed about the FUP than Eir.

Back at the start of NGA Eir went totally unlimited while team red were a strict 300GB IIRC.

• Advertisement

and just out of interest, I just checked my line with Vodafone and I am now passing for Vodafone 1000 meg FTTH!. Their tv option is also now suddenly available to me.

' Our line check showed that the maximum speed your line can currently achieve is 1,000Mbps with 100 Mbps broadband plan.The speed coming down the line is what we refer to as 'line speed'. This is determined by the type of broadband that is in your area (Fibre, uncongested or DSL) and how far your house is from your local telephone exchange and local cabinet.'

As was speculated when SIRO withdrew from the NBP, now that Vodafone's wholesale company isn't going to do rural fibre they've decided to go with open-eir for rural FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The Cush wrote: »
    As was speculated when SIRO withdrew from the NBP, now that Vodafone's wholesale company isn't going to do rural fibre they've decided to go with open-eir for rural FTTH.
    Not too surprised considering the circumstances that they pulled out of NBP last month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭snowstreams

Will vodafone be running their packages in all areas of Eirs FTTH?
    Im just getting the standard 24MB speed when i entered my address.

Im not happy with eirs 076 landline that they gave me. People are getting charged when they ring it even though its meant to be an irish landline!
    They wouldnt give me a localised number either unless I got copper in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 irishd

Im not happy with eirs 076 landline that they gave me. People are getting charged when they ring it even though its meant to be an irish landline!
    They wouldnt give me a localised number either unless I got copper in!

Just drop back to broadband only if you can, and get your own VOIP line with local number. These guys are great ...

http://www.goldfish.ie/page.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

Geez, bloody eir.
    I had a failed install on Wednesday. Never even came near the house. Just rang up and said there is a problem at the pole. I was later told this was due to an incorrect DP number (seemed more like a lazy installer to me). 
    Rang eir again now and they tell me that will have it resolved by November 13th.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Fabarm

House has had the green live house icon for months now in non Siro rural Donegal while the Vodafone line speed checker was indicating correctly that the max download speed was 7mbps.

Today as other posters have noted, the Vodafone line speed checker is showing 1,000 mpbs is available but when I rang them I was eventually told (after 3 attempts & being passed all over the place) - yes it is (Openeir) FTTH but no it will not be available until early next year

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

irishd wrote: »
    Just drop back to broadband only if you can, and get your own VOIP line with local number. These guys are great ...

Not such great value if you're making calls:
    Unlimited Ireland & UK landline calls + 200 Ireland mobile mins - €39.99 per month

The price difference for call packages between the Irish VOIP providers and the mobile networks is stark. Meteor (eir) do an unlimited (5000 mins) Irish landlines and mobiles package for €10 per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

irishd wrote: »

That is what I have for landline, but I don't do many calls, it works fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    That is what I have for landline, but I don't do many calls, it works fine.

I don't make many calls and I find IrishVoIP.com fantastic, top up your account as needed - rates seem cheap enough. Even link to them in my sig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Went on the Vodafone website and they indicate up to 100 Mbps is available to my address and phone number. Don't seem to accept Eircodes. Got ftth installed last week and getting 150mbps.
    There is now 9 houses on my road connected since the Fibre became live just over a week ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 goosey11

Hi guys. This was probably answered already but there is so much pages to go through. I’m just wondering does anyone know what the black boxes on the telephone poles are for. They have been recently attached to the poles in my area. Something to do with fibre?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,913 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

goosey11 wrote: »
    Hi guys. This was probably answered already but there is so much pages to go through. I’m just wondering does anyone know what the black boxes on the telephone poles are for. They have been recently attached to the poles in my area. Something to do with fibre?

maybe a pic?

goosey11 wrote: »

Most likely they are the "Splice Boxes" as they are referred to here, also called distribution points. They are used for containing the fibre joints known as splices. Those splices may be where two of the main distribution fibres are connected. The boxes are also used for joining the smaller diameter cable, that is brought into homes, to the main cable.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/communications-us/applications/access-network/bpeo/

Here's one in-situ on the pole posted a little while ago

Splice_box_in_situ.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,051 ✭✭✭gooner99

Seems to be a hell of a lot of those boxes in our area. Some are every few poles. Are these normal for fibre setups, I would have thought long continuous runs would be the way to go?

Any reason for so many and does it result in loses or other issues like water damage leading to frequent replacement.

gooner99 wrote: »
    Seems to be a hell of a lot of those boxes in our area. Some are every few poles. Are these normal for fibre setups, I would have thought long continuous runs would be the way to go?

Any reason for so many and does it result in loses or other issues like water damage leading to frequent replacement.

The rollout plan for the splice boxes is to have them within 150-200m of each premises connection and could serve up to 14 connection based on the number of blanks at the base of the boxes in my area. They are sealed against water ingress and its possible to pressurise the boxes once closed. The box above appears to have 8 (green) internal connectors for customer connections.

DSC_0042.jpg

untitled2.png

gooner99 wrote: »

They seem to have designed it so that the installers will not have to run cable over lots of poles to get to houses leading to more boxes being needed. There would be small losses associated with fusion splicing and greater losses with mechanical connectors but again this would have been taken into account in the design stage.

3M claim that the boxes are highly water and weather resistant so hopefully there would be few issues there.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

3M claim that the boxes are highly water and weather resistant so hopefully there would be few issues there.

They're designed to cope with long-term immersion in underground chambers. They'll be fine on poles (until Ophelia blows the poles down!).

Or the old willow beside it that pulls the cabling down as it falls.

OE dont normally hit storm mode until late Dec/Early Jan but there's a good chance it'll be all hands from Monday.

I seen it mentioned in the weather thread that the incoming Hurricane could down a lot of Broadband services.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

How long does it take for the ftth to be rolled out ?
    All the ducting has been installed and kn/open eir have begun blowing the fibre about a week ago. They are providing the ftth to about 400 houses and have said it will be available In the 2nd half of 2017(this is also quoted on fibrerollout.ie)
    I'm hoping it will be available within the next month or so but am I being too optimistic ?

They have met a few issues but have a civils contractor(nevilles) working with them to open/clear blockages. I saw them doing some work yesterday.

I'm about 2.5kms from the exchange myself.

I'm located in dundrum, co tipp.

• Advertisement

thehorse wrote: »
    I'm hoping it will be available within the next month or so but am I being too optimistic ?

Too optimistic I'd say. Almost 2 months now since they started the actual rollout of fibre to the poles here, overhead routes appear to be complete but pole replacement continuing. Single underground route hasn't started yet which includes pole replacement for cable drops. Availability moved from Autumn to Autumn/Winter.

The Cush wrote: »
    Too optimistic I'd say. Almost 2 months now since they started the actual rollout of fibre to the poles here, overhead routes appear to be complete but pole replacement continuing. Single underground route hasn't started yet which includes pole replacement for cable drops. Availability moved from Autumn to Autumn/Winter.

They replaced all the poles which needed to be replaced a few months back.things are moving quickly here. the cable drops have been done too so it really is just a matter of blowing the fibre

• Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

Just a timeline of my FTTH journey.

I got my hopes up by seeing my exchange (headford, kerry) being paraded by eir for their fibre to the press release for march 2017 as part of the 100,000. That goalpost was moved multiple times. Headford went, winter 2016, missed. First half, 2017, missed.

Fibre layed March 2017, unable to order. And no splice boxes fitted to poles or road manholes.

Headford exchange changes to live date of summer 2017, missed.

Headford exchange changes to summer/autumn 2017, missed.

Headford exchange changes to live date of second half of 2017, missed. Unable to order. Splice boxes installed August 2017.

Headford exchange live date of second half of 2017. First date I can apply for FTTH is September 20th.

It takes four failed attempts of ordering. Told twice KN had the wrong eircode matched to my phone number. Two full hours on the phone to Eir to complete my order in total. Five times I was disconnected by Eir.

My first FTTH was 20th September. My 4th and final order was installed on the 4tg of October. KN had an installation planned for the afternoon and called at 10am. They arrived at 10:30am. Finished by 1:30pm. Great team of guys. Very friendly and very efficient.

I placed an order for 150mb down and they got a speed of 147mb down on my line.

I cancelled my Eir FTTH with an email on the 6th of October. Within the 14 day cooling off period. I still have the Eir router and FTTH access. It took until the 11th of October to get an email confirmation of my cancellation of my FTTH contract.

I’ve placed an order for digiweb FTTH 150mb @ €55 per month.

Now, I wait.

My advice is get Eir to install the line and cancel, fast. Within the 14 day cooling off period.

Eir are a nightmare to deal with. Genuinely the worst company I have ever dealt with. Finding a person on the phone who cares or knows or didn’t hang up within one hour is a miracle.

Eir are bad.

Eir form care.

Eir are not worth dealing with in any way.

Get your line installed by them and get out. Fast.

Depressing experience from start to finish. The only light was the KN crew that turned up. Every other step with eir was painful. It was almost like they didn’t want my business. Bizarre.

Thankfully I am currently unemployed and have the time and effort to put into this.

I’m such a patient person and this Eir experience was so trying it tested my patience in such a way I have never experienced before.

Buyer beware. But **** me, I couldn’t even get past stage one without serious effort.

15 years and finally my speed tests are above 1.7 down.

Almost worth it.

KN are waste of space there only good for easy install any hard work they leg it.I had to ring Eir just to get the two KN guys to come back because they weren't. my second install this friday I've done the hard work so it be a easy install they be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

thehorse wrote: »
    How long does it take for the ftth to be rolled out ?
    All the ducting has been installed and kn/open eir have begun blowing the fibre about a week ago. They are providing the ftth to about 400 houses and have said it will be available In the 2nd half of 2017(this is also quoted on fibrerollout.ie)

They have met a few issues but have a civils contractor(nevilles) working with them to open/clear blockages. I saw them doing some work yesterday.

I'm about 2.5kms from the exchange myself.

I'm located in dundrum, co tipp.

It's pot luck with eir. You could be waiting 1 month or 6. At least in my exchange of 900 houses they seemed to enable 25% of the houses every few weeks. It's been over 6 months here.

Blogin wrote: »
    It's pot luck with eir. You could be waiting 1 month or 6. At least in my exchange of 900 houses they seemed to enable 25% of the houses every few weeks. It's been over 6 months here.
    I'm hopeful it will be available before end of Nov as there are now penalties in place if eir don't have fibre rolled out as per the timelines/schedule listed.the eir guys rolling it out locally told me the same.
    Apparently, they can blow up to 10 KMS of fibre per day if there there are no issues with blockages or whatever

tomorrow will be a real test for our FTTH connections. I already lost the service in the early summer due to one averagely windy night, granted the connection was installed from the wrong splice box, 4 poles back.

Now that my connection is run from outside the gate to the house, it's much safer from damage but still i don't trust tomorrows storm, could be alot of lines down and any damage to fibre, means the whole thing has to be reinstalled, not an easy fix like copper.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

tomorrow will be a real test for our FTTH connections. I already lost the service in the early summer due to one averagely windy night, granted the connection was installed from the wrong splice box, 4 poles back.

Now that my connection is run from outside the gate to the house, it's much safer from damage but still i don't trust tomorrows storm, could be alot of lines down and any damage to fibre, means the whole thing has to be reinstalled, not an easy fix like copper.

I took a drive around earlier, looking for places where tree damage to fibre is likely. There's going to be a good chunk of rural Westport without FTTH service on Tuesday by the looks of it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Jezz09

Hi Guys, recently bought a place rurally. Had a KN engineer out to install phoneline on SKY's behalf. When he arrived, he informed me that I was too far out from the cabinet, and that I would only receive speeds of less than 2MB, far less that the 20MB sky had promised. I decided against the install. He then suggested that the Fibre cables joining the 2 local towns run less that 100 yards in front of my house. He suggested that it would only require one cable from these lines to the pole at my house and then a cable through the existing duct to my home. He thought that EIR are the only company who will be providing this FTTH service. I have since looked up the NBP and planned eir rollouts and my address is not being included at all, despite how close I am to these existing lines. Could any company be convinced to install the required lines? Could this service be contracted privately? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 captainpugwash

Very similar experience, also in Headford. Sounds like you pre-ordered too, big mistake indeed, nightmare from the start.I am on my 4th order now,Eir unable to marry the correct address/eircode/phone number together in 3 attempts. Lots of failed install dates, lots of hold, lots of Mozart.Complaints eventually lead to me being given a "special" 01 number to call.Automated voice "someone will call you back shortly",they never do. I think they just put the splice box up to taunt me, Grrrrr. No way will this shower ever be trusted with my bank details for a 2 Euro discount!! Given all the cancel/re-ordering I am expecting the the DP to be wrong now ( they are certainly giving me DP up the ass)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement