Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

rob808 wrote: »
    What open eir number?it doesn't look like im getting my install today so annoyed at this stage with KN and open Eir

I didn't think they did customer installs on a weekend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Gonzo wrote: »
    KN are messing me about badly it not even funny. I send open eir a message about it.I have to ring eir now again fourth time around feel like yelling down phone at this stage.They send 1guy knowing they need a second one to pull the cable what a joke KN Group are freaking cowboys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Open-eir via fibrerollout.ie have published 3 pdf guides with information and instructions on home WiFi, ducting and FTTH installation day

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/cheat-sheets/

Day of Installation - http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/FTTH-Day-of-Installation.pdf
    Ducting Guidelines - http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Ducting-Guidelines.pdf
    Home WiFi-Guide - http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/Home-WiFi-Guide.pdf

There coming monday now but this time around there be two of them hopefully they do it this time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

There coming monday now but this time around there be two of them hopefully they do it this time.

Which Monday ?;)

oleras wrote: »
    Which Monday ?;)
    It better be this monday or there be hell :).

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

Gonzo wrote: »
    My FTTH installation took place on a Saturday. The KN guy came out alone in the morning, decided he needed a hoist, contacted another guy, who came out in the afternoon. The installation was pretty rough ( he even connected the cable to the Fritzbox wrong, which I had to point out to him). I asked was he getting overtime for working on a Saturday, and he said he was offered €70 extra plus €25 bonus per job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

Mine was a Saturday too. The guy said he gets paid by job. If the job fails he doesn't get paid, which I found hard to believe as he said he's been out to a number of jobs in one day and they all failed, meaning he's working all day for nothing and not getting paid because of things beyond his control.

I finally got FTTH im getting 144mb down :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

How long does it take for your my Eir profile to show your allowance etc after getting fibre? Mine still isn't showing up, I asked before but got no reply

Here some pictures

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Here some pictures

Is the first one from your Xbox?

naughto wrote: »
    Is the first one from your Xbox?
    yea that from my xbox the third picture fibre cable that was left over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Eir sales guys came to my door last week indicating line activation dates.  He didn't even know where the local exchange was.  After I started to pose questions about FTTH v FTTC he made a swift exit, completely useless.

Interestingly he did tell me that on a small local estate on the FTTH line, not one household was interested.  I told him to bring their FTTH (black box thing, sorry forget the name) up outside our group of houses where I know a number of households have businesses and people working from home and we'd bite his had off to get the higher speed of FTTH rather  that copper (FTTC). I could tell by his blank stare it was more than his jobs worth.
    I know people have said this is an economic/cost issue but I can see so many house with no hope of the residents taking up FTTH due to there age, usage or cost but all with the FTTH box sitting on the telephone pole outside their houses completely redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sean72 wrote: »
    Eir sales guys came to my door last week indicating line activation dates.  He didn't even know where the local exchange was.  After I started to pose questions about FTTH v FTTC he made a swift exit, completely useless.

Interestingly he did tell me that on a small local estate on the FTTH line, not one household was interested.  I told him to bring their FTTH (black box thing, sorry forget the name) up outside our group of houses where I know a number of households have businesses and people working from home and we'd bite his had off to get the higher speed of FTTH rather  that copper (FTTC). I could tell by his blank stare it was more than his jobs worth.
    I know people have said this is an economic/cost issue but I can see so many house with no hope of the residents taking up FTTH due to there age, usage or cost but all with the FTTH box sitting on the telephone pole outside their houses completely redundant.

We know takeup on the current scheme will be low. These people have the option of cheap 4Mb or expensive 150Mb.

Its the next phase where its dial up via 150 where the uptake will be high.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

Just a follow up on my FTTH journey since installation on the 4th October.

Dealing with Eir has been a headache/nightmare from start to finish. I now know why phoning them and being held on hold for so long was happening. I was previously with sky for my phone line and broadband. The broadband account was cancelled before the FTTH on the 4th but my phoneline was not. It was “delayed” from transferring to Eir from sky. No explanation and I’m fairly certain Eir have to sky to transfer the line.

I sent an email on the 6th to request full cancellation of my complete contract with Eir because I want to go with digiweb and get the free installion done by Eir. I got a confirmation of my contract cancellation by email on the 11th. Any phone call between then and a few days ago would have me put on hold for ages. A few days ago the phone line was transferred over to Eir, hey presto!! straught through.

Such sharp and depressing business etiquette. They must make some serious cash from people on hold. And it’s so obvious staff are trained to not answer or constantly transfer the non Eir customers.

Anyway, avoid Eir and just get them to do the free install and cancel fast. Then get an email confirmation within the 14 day cooling off period.

Eir took so long to cancel my actual FTTH service and they said from the 11th to the 23th that my cancellation was “held up”. I’m suspicious that my bill next month from them will be fun.

5 minutes on the phone today with digiweb and all was sorted. New router on the way and engineer visit on the 1st nov.

I will never again in my life have to deal with Eir. Thank the sweet baby Jesus. No matter how much money I could save with their “deals” it’s not worth the hassle if you have to contact them.

FTTH has been a long wait and I’m not sure all the hassle has been worth it. I used about 300gb of data until i was disconnected. The lack of loading is great though. Anyway... good luck to the rest of the people checking maps and entering eircodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

superloopy wrote: »
    Anyway... good luck to the rest of the people checking maps and entering eircodes.
    Yeah, the only good thing about this FTTH business is now I remember my eircode, never managed to remember it before.
    I agree with you about eir, one thing I didn't endure is long waiting on the phone, Whenever I call them I finish in 5 minutes. Nothing good came out of those calls but at least it isn't all doom and gloom.

Pangea wrote: »
    How long does it take for your my Eir profile to show your allowance etc after getting fibre? Mine still isn't showing up, I asked before but got no reply
    Im checking mine I wrote down what it was now.I check in a hour or two to see if changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Interesting interview with eir's head of core IP and optical design...

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/eir-core-network-design

No mention of the dreaded caps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,709 ✭✭✭jd

Colin Dalton is not retail he is networks, it is retail who would set caps, fups, and pricing etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

jd wrote: »
    Colin Dalton is not retail he is networks, it is retail who would set caps, fups, and pricing etc

And Networks is not Eir either. It's OpenEIR. :) ... they're not allowed to talk together.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

I've been using Three 4g but it has started giving me trouble recently in the evenings so connecting to FTTP is looking more temping now (have the black box on the pole outside my house and two of my neighbours already connected a few months ago).
    I've no landline. Will Eircode be enough for Eir to take the order in?
    I am thinking of getting Eir to install and than cancel it within 14 days and go to Digiweb. Are Digiweb any good?
    Thanks!

Not to waste any time, I rang Eir and ordered connection to FTTH. 
    Got through instantly, Eircode was enough for them. 5min later was given Order Number, Account number and installation date of 3rd of Nov (Fri next week). Feels like too good to be true so I am not hopefully they'll show up on the 3rd actually - I'd be amazed if they did.
    Opted for broadband only (150mbit one) , came up to 55eur per month, she said.
    Now....I dont have a landline and I dont need it and 55pm seems to be the same as Digiweb's Ultrafast 150 at 54.95eur or am I missing something? In my particular case, will there be any benefit for me cutting off Eir within 14 days cooling off and moving to Digiweb? Thanks!

glen123 wrote: »
    In my particular case, will there be any benefit for me cutting off Eir within 14 days cooling off and moving to Digiweb? Thanks!

A vastly better router and vastly better support. Oh .. and your funds won't be channeled to Australia .. but may end up elsewhere :)

/M

Also, stupid q....I can see that this 55eur broadband package includes Eir and BT sports. Do they supply a box to watch them or is it just an app and i'll have to install it on my phone, tablet or android box? Not that I need it as I have my tv stuff sorted on my android box anyway, but just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

It's just access to it via the web/app. No box and won't work on TV unless you cast it or set it up on your android box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

vintagevrs wrote: »
    It's just access to it via the web/app. No box and won't work on TV unless you cast it or set it up on your android box.

or have a Sky box and dish to receive the Satellite signal of the eir/BT sports channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

On the fibre map I have a yellow line and blue house icon and when I put eircode and rest into search it says I will have speeds from 30 to 1000mbps by June next year.

Had Imagine call last week and inform me that I am now able to avail of their service.

Turned it down cause I didnt want to be tied to them for 18 months and they wouldnt budge on that.

Am I doing the right thing? Gettimg a steady 4-5mbps at the moment which is ok if guaranteed rollout next year

northknife wrote: »
    On the fibre map I have a yellow line and blue house icon and when I put eircode and rest into search it says I will have speeds from 30 to 1000mbps by June next year.

Had Imagine call last week and inform me that I am now able to avail of their service.

Turned it down cause I didnt want to be tied to them for 18 months and they wouldnt budge on that.

Am I doing the right thing? Gettimg a steady 4-5mbps at the moment which is ok if guaranteed rollout next year

The Imagine cancellation fee is only €100 (just confirm that if you sign up) so it is not too much if you were to cancel. Also the June date may be liable to slip. It is really up to yourself if you are happy with your current speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭northknife

The Imagine cancellation fee is only €100 (just confirm that if you sign up) so it is not too much if you were to cancel. Also the June date may be liable to slip. It is really up to yourself if you are happy with your current speed.

Only paying €40 at the moment instead of €60 to imagine and that is with proper unlimited BB not the 20mg daily limit. This is also along with the 18 month contract and €100 installation fee.

If the dates for installation are correct, in 6-8 months I could have a multitude of providers and only have to stick to a 12 month contract.

Is there any contact details where you could get a concrete answer either way as to whether or not this installation date will be met?

• Advertisement

northknife wrote: »
    Only paying €40 at the moment instead of €60 to imagine and that is with proper unlimited BB not the 20mg daily limit. This is also along with the 18 month contract and €100 installation fee.

If the dates for installation are correct, in 6-8 months I could have a multitude of providers and only have to stick to a 12 month contract.

Is there any contact details where you could get a concrete answer either way as to whether or not this installation date will be met?

You could try fibrepower@openeir.ie but they might just give the already planned dates. This far out preparatory work (pole marking and replacement etc) may not even have begun. Keep an eye out for work in your area.

Marlow wrote: »
    A vastly better router and vastly better support. Oh .. and your funds won't be channeled to Australia .. but may end up elsewhere :)

/M
    Look around for companies who have no caps, eir will charge you 100 Euro if you exceed 1TB/month

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Look around for companies who have no caps, eir will charge you 100 Euro if you exceed 1TB/month
      Eir: "eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month"
      Digiweb: "Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.**"
      Vodafone: "15. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination."

You're limited with all of those 3, unless you have alternative options. And "no cap" is difficult at those speeds for any ISP, but there are some around with larger or more lenient approaches.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

Eir: "eir Fibre packages with unlimited usage are subject to a Fair Usage policy of 1TB per month. Usage is excess of 1TB will be charged at €2.50(inc. VAT) for every 10 GB up to maximum of €100(Inc.VAT) per month"
      Digiweb: "Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.**"
      Vodafone: "15. The fair usage cap for data usage on the Gigabit Broadband Service is 1000 GB over the course of any given billable month. If you exceed the fair usage cap for data on more than two (2) occasions in any calendar year then Vodafone may terminate or suspend your Gigabit Broadband Service. Vodafone will proactively contact you in advance of any suspension or termination."

You're limited with all of those 3, unless you have alternative options. And "no cap" is difficult at those speeds for any ISP, but there are some around with larger or more lenient approaches.

/M

Look at Net1.ie, this is the email I had from them.

"Further to our conversation of this afternoon, I can confirm that on our FTTH 1000 service (and indeed all of our broadband services) we do not charge for exceeding any data usage thresholds.

If, on the FTTH 1000, FTTH 300 or FTTH 150 services, you were to exceed 2TB total data usage in any calendar month (that is combined upload and download data figures) then your connection would be slowed to 15% of your maximum speeds for the remainder of that calendar month.

So on the FTTH 1000 service about which you were enquiring, if you were to exceed 2TB data usage in any calendar month, the system would automatically limit your maximum speed to 150Mbps (the equivalent of our lowest FTTH product)."

raydator wrote: »
    Look at Net1.ie, this is the email I had from them.

"Further to our conversation of this afternoon, I can confirm that on our FTTH 1000 service (and indeed all of our broadband services) we do not charge for exceeding any data usage thresholds.

If, on the FTTH 1000, FTTH 300 or FTTH 150 services, you were to exceed 2TB total data usage in any calendar month (that is combined upload and download data figures) then your connection would be slowed to 15% of your maximum speeds for the remainder of that calendar month.

So on the FTTH 1000 service about which you were enquiring, if you were to exceed 2TB data usage in any calendar month, the system would automatically limit your maximum speed to 150Mbps (the equivalent of our lowest FTTH product)."

That sounds like a very reasonable approach to me.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Also Eir will pay the cancellation fee if you move to them and rea still in contract up to €200.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Has anyone gone with net1 yet? only thing holding me back is their 2 year contract, in 1 year there could be a bit of competition?

Has anyone gone with net1 yet? only thing holding me back is their 2 year contract, in 1 year there could be a bit of competition?

I'd say the reason for that 2 year contract is the big cost to get OpenEir to connect a new FTTH line (where non is in place). Have you asked them, if there is a shorter contract in case the line is in place ?

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,037 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I'd say the reason for that 2 year contract is the big cost to get OpenEir to connect a new FTTH line (where non is in place). Have you asked them, if there is a shorter contract in case the line is in place ?

/M

My understanding is that net1 are completely dependent on existing infrastructure
    FIBRE TO THE HOME
    Currently available in certain rural villages and towns.

• Advertisement

My understanding is that net1 are completely dependent on existing infrastructure

No. FTTH installations, when the fiber isn't yet in the home, cost over 300 EUR (incl. VAT) to the provider. The cost of the router comes on top of that. That's not necessarily, what they charge customers.

And it takes a lot longer to make that money back, when OpenEIR takes a large chunk of the line rental.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Have you asked them, if there is a shorter contract in case the line is in place ?

Not really a market there yet, most subs that have FTTH will still be in contract for at least another couple months (except Sandyford and Waterford test areas).

ED E wrote: »
    Not really a market there yet, most subs that have FTTH will still be in contract for at least another couple months (except Sandyford and Waterford test areas).

Well ... apart for the cancellation within grace period type of customers :) .. Hence no harm to ask.

But I bet, that contract term is based on the fact, that nearly every FTTH currently is a new install.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Eir rep called to house last night I wasn't there but he told wife that current EIR customers have to wait till December in our area but customers of other providers can get it next week anyone hear anything like this??

He is coming back when I'm there during the week so I will ask more questions

Thanks

eiei0 wrote: »
    Eir rep called to house last night I wasn't there but he told wife that current EIR customers have to wait till December in our area but customers of other providers can get it next week anyone hear anything like this??

Thanks
    Typical of eir, They only respect you if you are not their customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

eiei0 wrote: »

Thanks

Beware of the door to door guys. My one was a full on spoofer .

I expect whether it's door to door or the website you won't get it any bit sooner. I tried to do online but as I'm a new customer had to ring up as website would not take booking by eircode. If talking to them on the phone you need to mention the online discounts or they won't give them to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

A couple of questions, if I may.

I'm in a very rural area. The poles have been replaced, fibre has been strung on them and distribution boxes have been fitted. Where the cable goes UG (about halfway to the exchange) there is a large roll of cable, so the UG section hasn't been cabled yet, it would seem.

1) I know every area will be different, but roughly how long does it take to get from the description above to connections being completed?

2) The OH drop from the pole to my house is a little over 50m. There is a pole about halfway, on my property. This pole has a red D on it and is very loose in the ground. Should I get eir to replace this pole ASAP, as it will be needed to carry the new cable? It could be a safety request as it really is loose. It can be pushed back and forward with ease.

Thanks. :)

Falcon L wrote: »
    A couple of questions, if I may.

I'm in a very rural area. The poles have been replaced, fibre has been strung on them and distribution boxes have been fitted. Where the cable goes UG (about halfway to the exchange) there is a large roll of cable, so the UG section hasn't been cabled yet, it would seem.

1) I know every area will be different, but roughly how long does it take to get from the description above to connections being completed?

2) The OH drop from the pole to my house is a little over 50m. There is a pole about halfway, on my property. This pole has a red D on it and is very loose in the ground. Should I get eir to replace this pole ASAP, as it will be needed to carry the new cable? It could be a safety request as it really is loose. It can be pushed back and forward with ease.

Thanks. :)

1) Two months at least at a guess going by areas I have observed.

2) The D means it should have been replaced when they were doing the others. It may have been missed. Definitely report it if you can move it by hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

All wired up here on Tara exchange, no sign of a rep yet. The Eir Sport package will probably keep me with them, will I ever get to 1TB?

On 100 limit now with Ripplecom and we often go over by 10-20% which equates to €10-€20 on top of their €50 monthly charge.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    All wired up here on Tara exchange, no sign of a rep yet. The Eir Sport package will probably keep me with them, will I ever get to 1TB?

On 100 limit now with Ripplecom and we often go over by 10-20% which equates to €10-€20 on top of their €50 monthly charge.

it is unreal when you first get FTTH, just how fast it is, 100 megs can be downloaded in less than 30 minutes. Your usage patterns will explode moving from what you now to FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Dr. Nick wrote: »

Slane Castle Meath '85 RDS Dublin '88 '93 '99 '03 '08 '08 '08 '09 '09 '12 '12 Point Dublin '96 '06 '06 06 Stade de France Paris '03 '13 Bercy Paris '05 SAP Arena Mannheim '07 Odyssey Belfast '07 Millenium Cardiff '08 Parc de Princes Paris '08 Monte del Gozo Santiago de Compostela '09 Olympiastadion Berlin '12 Etihad Manchester '12 Hyde Park London '12 Wembley Stadium London '13 Thomand Park Limerick '13 Pairc Uí Caoimh Cork '13 King's Hall Arena Belfast '13 Croke Park Dublin '16 '16 Werchter '16

A Bruce fan :)

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement