Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    All wired up here on Tara exchange, no sign of a rep yet.

They are in the area alright. Calling door-to-door taking orders last week in Skryne.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Guys Can I ask a question please ? I have ftth on the pole outside and install all set for next week . I have ducting going under driveway right to the pole at my gate and I rodded and pulled a draw string through all ready for the KN lads to pull the fiber , the duct finishes at my eircom box at the side of the house and there is a cat5 or equivalent cable going from there to my network mini comms cab in the utility room, my question is do they terminate the fiber in the eircom white box on the side of the house and connect the fiber to that cat5 cable inside the eircom white box (which connects directly to comms cab) or will they have to drill through the external wall to punch through the wall directly to where the comms cab is? Reason I ask is it’s an airtight house and want to keep these holes to a minimum if possible , many thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

shooter69 wrote: »
    my question is do they terminate the fiber in the eircom white box on the side of the house and connect the fiber to that cat5 cable inside the eircom white box (which connects directly to comms cab) or will they have to drill through the external wall to punch through the wall directly to where the comms cab is?

http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/FTTH-Day-of-Installation.pdf

The fibre continues into the house, to an ODP/ONT, located close to a power point

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Turfwarrior

Well after a battle with air to get installed and when it did finally did get done on the 16th,yes the morning of the hurricane it worked for approx 30mins before the storm wrecked a large section of the overhead network. Network repaired Friday and getting around 124 download and have noticed this drop to 70-90 at peak times, fairly sure its FTTC which is still a vast improvement. Issue I'm having is the young lads 360 is only getting 50-60 down,have tried different network cables with ones I know are fine as the one I use for speed test results on laptop hit 124.I have also tried different LANs on the f200 but no difference? Is there a setting I can change to improve this so he gets the max speed to his console?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

The Cush wrote: »
    http://fibrerollout.ie/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/FTTH-Day-of-Installation.pdf

The fibre continues into the house, to an ODP/ONT, located close to a power point

Many thanks Mr Cush - thought so but wanted to confirm .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Well after a battle with air to get installed and when it did finally did get done on the 16th,yes the morning of the hurricane it worked for approx 30mins before the storm wrecked a large section of the overhead network. Network repaired Friday and getting around 124 download and have noticed this drop to 70-90 at peak times, fairly sure its FTTC which is still a vast improvement. Issue I'm having is the young lads 360 is only getting 50-60 down,have tried different network cables with ones I know are fine as the one I use for speed test results on laptop hit 124.I have also tried different LANs on the f200 but no difference? Is there a setting I can change to improve this so he gets the max speed to his console?

If he playes on line it’s the ping he needs to be low. He will only need 124 if he is downloading games and even getting 50/60 down will be fine. Also I’d buy him a Xbox one the 360 is retired at this stage but that’s just me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

360 only has. 10/100 NIC, best it will ever do is 90. 60 is probably due to testing off German servers. Don't worry about it, would barely notice the difference anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Turfwarrior

naughto wrote: »
    If he playes on line it’s the ping he needs to be low. He will only need 124 if he is downloading games and even getting 50/60 down will be fine. Also I’d buy him a Xbox one the 360 is retired at this stage but that’s just me

Thanks, ping is 3-4ms. Has been holding off on the xbox 1 as there has been no service in the area...its defo on his Christmas list

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    OpenEir van with a lad surveying poles around my area currently - I thought he was fault finding but each day I see him walking the pole/cable paths. Hopefully FTTH related !

KN vans out cutting trees around the poles/lines - hopefully might see more movement in the coming weeks. Live date for services is still March'18 though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Where are people getting these specific go live dates, all i can find is first half 2018?

• Advertisement

Where are people getting these specific go live dates, all i can find is first half 2018?

Pop mail to fibrepower@openeir.ie with your eircode and they should give you a month which services should go live depending on the operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

What deals is there out there for FTTH??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

eiei0 wrote: »
    What deals is there out there for FTTH??

Pretty much label price, thats it. Premium product.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

Blogin wrote: »
    Beware of the door to door guys. My one was a full on spoofer .

I expect whether it's door to door or the website you won't get it any bit sooner. I tried to do online but as I'm a new customer had to ring up as website would not take booking by eircode. If talking to them on the phone you need to mention the online discounts or they won't give them to you.

A lady came to my door selling FTTH with Eir a few months ago. I didn't realise it at the time but FTTH wasn't actually available to me (the splice boxes only went up last week!). But she gave me her prized assurance that FTTH was in fact available and proceeded to enter my details into a rather comprehensive registration app on her Ipad. The process took around 45 mins.

When the process was complete and she was reviewing the order she spotted on one of the pages that instead of writing on one of the dotted lines: "I agree", I had actually signed my name by mistake!! Well I never heard so many swear words come out of a middle aged lady in my life :D She really cursed the sh1te out of me!

I was actually quite relieved when I found out ftth was not in fact available to me as I wasn't in contract at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭fme

hmboards wrote: »
    Dr. Nick wrote: »
    All wired up here on Tara exchange, no sign of a rep yet.

They are in the area alright. Calling door-to-door taking orders last week in Skryne.
    Yes, I swear they followed us trick or treating last night and called to the house here in Skryne just as we got back. Took a good 45 mins before I got in to eat what was left of the kids sweets...
    Have signed up for phone and broadband (Dual Play - Anytime) for what they said was 63 per month for 150Mb (actually 50pm for 6months and 76pm after that), with a 50e cashback. I resisted switching the TV from Sky, although they are offering a free (non-brand) 10" tablet for doing that.
    As there is also a cooling off period from install date, I'm wondering is this the best deal I can get..?
    Install date set for 22 Nov

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Anyone have a copy of the Fibre distribution point /ribbon map ?
    I was talking with an Eir/kn guy yesterday and he was showing me the list........anyone have it or know where it can be gotten ?

bfa1509 wrote: »
    A lady came to my door selling FTTH with Eir a few months ago. I didn't realise it at the time but FTTH wasn't actually available to me (the splice boxes only went up last week!). But she gave me her prized assurance that FTTH was in fact available and proceeded to enter my details into a rather comprehensive registration app on her Ipad. The process took around 45 mins.

When the process was complete and she was reviewing the order she spotted on one of the pages that instead of writing on one of the dotted lines: "I agree", I had actually signed my name by mistake!! Well I never heard so many swear words come out of a middle aged lady in my life :D She really cursed the sh1te out of me!

I was actually quite relieved when I found out ftth was not in fact available to me as I wasn't in contract at the time.

Yeah, be very careful cause the likes of Vodafone are going around certain areas telling people Fibre will be available in x weeks time even though it hasn’t even been rolled out in that area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

thehorse wrote: »
    Yeah, be very careful cause the likes of Vodafone are going around certain areas telling people Fibre will be available in x weeks time even though it hasn’t even been rolled out in that area.

Vodafone will be able to offer it in any area that has OpenEir's FTTH early in the new year. They have not been available on OpenEir's network up till now as they were banking on Siro winning part of the NBP and Siro recently withdrew their interest from the rural NBP so are now in a position to begin reselling on Eir FTTH lines.

Anyone have a copy of the Fibre distribution point /ribbon map ?
    I was talking with an Eir/kn guy yesterday and he was showing me the list........anyone have it or know where it can be gotten ?

I'm sure this isn't as detailed as the KN person might have had, but it gives you a general idea of the properties which FTTH should pass

• Advertisement

I'm sure this isn't as detailed as the KN person might have had, but it gives you a general idea of the properties which FTTH should pass

Thanks but No, that’s not what I’m looking for ....he had a map with all the distribution points and ribbons listed on it, you could then see what dp & ribbon your premises connects to

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭kevinbad2010

Anyone know why they haven't updated this http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ for two months? usually it was done each month or so. Have they changed it to quarterly updates now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Anyone know why they haven't updated this http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/ for two months? usually it was done each month or so. Have they changed it to quarterly updates now?

There has been no announcement about a change in schedule. Their updates have become worse over time. There are also anomalies with some of the numbers of premises given and icons on the map not tallying.

Thanks but No, that’s not what I’m looking for ....he had a map with all the distribution points and ribbons listed on it, you could then see what dp & ribbon your premises connects to

Don't believe (happy to be corrected) that data is shared publicly

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Don't believe (happy to be corrected) that data is shared publicly

It's not even shared with FTTH retailers.

The map said by summer 2018 and the fibre email address said june 2018. Not what i was hoping for

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Roll-out map has been updated as of 02/11/2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

Lads, apologies if my searches didn't give me the answer to this.....
    I'm with Vodafone at present (rural area...quite happy with the deal, speeds, etc.). However my road was fibre cabled about 9 months ago. Just the underground ducting along the road, nothing to any houses yet.
    When I check my Eircode with Eir their site tells me that FTTH is available at my address. That's great, but AFAIK nobody on my road has actually been connected yet.
    I am in a fairly new re-signed contract with VF which expires in Feb 2019 (a fiver a month off retention-deal). I can cancel this contract now due to the VF price increase.
    My problem is that I'm not sure that VF will supply the Fibre to me as they seem to be only connecting SIRO customers.
    So, should I cancel the VF contract while I can if I want to get Fibre ? Can anyone confirm that VF are not connecting people to FTTH in rural areas even though EIR, Pure, etc are doing so as it becomes available ?
    Even if it means waiting another 6 months I'd prefer to have the option of going with a FTTH provider then, if VF are simply not going to connect me.
    Thanks,
    John.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

mgbgt1978 wrote: »
    Lads, apologies if my searches didn't give me the answer to this.....
    I'm with Vodafone at present (rural area...quite happy with the deal, speeds, etc.). However my road was fibre cabled about 9 months ago. Just the underground ducting along the road, nothing to any houses yet.
    When I check my Eircode with Eir their site tells me that FTTH is available at my address. That's great, but AFAIK nobody on my road has actually been connected yet.
    I am in a fairly new re-signed contract with VF which expires in Feb 2019 (a fiver a month off retention-deal). I can cancel this contract now due to the VF price increase.
    My problem is that I'm not sure that VF will supply the Fibre to me as they seem to be only connecting SIRO customers.
    So, should I cancel the VF contract while I can if I want to get Fibre ? Can anyone confirm that VF are not connecting people to FTTH in rural areas even though EIR, Pure, etc are doing so as it becomes available ?
    Even if it means waiting another 6 months I'd prefer to have the option of going with a FTTH provider then, if VF are simply not going to connect me.
    Thanks,
    John.
    I heard VF gona start selling open eir FTTH next year so I would wait till then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Roll-out map has been updated as of 02/11/2017

I see my exchange has gone from first half 2018 to Autumn/Winter 2018 :(

No wonder I see no work on poles or hedges etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

I see my exchange has gone from first half 2018 to Autumn/Winter 2018 :(

No wonder I see no work on poles or hedges etc.

No change on my exchange (live by 02 Aug) but a neighboring exchange originally scheduled for Winter 2018 now has the dark green commenced icon. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

OK so my the updated map says 1st of Nov (yesterday) for estimated completion. There have been sales people around but I scared one off. What do I do now to actually find out if the my area is actually live and sign up?

• Registered Users Posts: 47 superloopy

Final end to my FTTH journey. Anybody that has followed my previous posts I’m just coming back to say I’ve switched to digiweb and I’m getting 10mbs more download speed on my 150mb download package. Now getting 155mb down on my 150mb down package. I was getting 144mb wireless down with Eir. And 146mb wired. Haven’t tried wired with digiweb yet.

Digiweb is better, router is better, broadcasts the 5ghz further. And the digiweb call center are a great bunch of people. Not a single hang up....

Anyway, my advice. Order with Eir, cancel witin 14 days. Get your cancellation in writing. Get digiweb and never look back.

I still don’t get the need to fully change the ONT to change provider and the KN crew that turned up thought it was a full new installation. Took an hour to sort out. They had the wrong DP number oddly.

Worked in the end.

Good luck everybody.

My exp with Eir is that absolutely none of them know **** all about anything whether it be Fibre, phone or mobile and don’t give a toss about the customer.

I wanted clarity on a topic the other day as the guy on the phone knew zero and when I asked to speak to the guys supervisor, he hung up on me......I was incredibly pissed off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

superloopy wrote: »
    Final end to my FTTH journey. Anybody that has followed my previous posts I’m just coming back to say I’ve switched to digiweb and I’m getting 10mbs more download speed on my 150mb download package. Now getting 155mb down on my 150mb down package. I was getting 144mb wireless down with Eir. And 146mb wired. Haven’t tried wired with digiweb yet.

Digiweb is better, router is better, broadcasts the 5ghz further. And the digiweb call center are a great bunch of people. Not a single hang up....

Anyway, my advice. Order with Eir, cancel witin 14 days. Get your cancellation in writing. Get digiweb and never look back.

I still don’t get the need to fully change the ONT to change provider and the KN crew that turned up thought it was a full new installation. Took an hour to sort out. They had the wrong DP number oddly.

Worked in the end.

Good luck everybody.

Great you got sorted.

It was a similar situation when fttc was launched first, the provisioning system had not yet been set up for fttc line transfers, I imagine it is the same now. I reckon once we get towards 12-18 months after ftth rollout began, systems will be put in place to allow ftth line transfers without a new ONT install (at least my understanding is there is no physical need for a new ONT).

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Pushed back again till spring/summer 2018. My exchange has been green for 6 months. It says work commenced. What exactly does that mean or what work was done. Ages ago kn had road works through the village as they worked on ducts it seemed.

Yeh moved from summer/autumn to autumn/winter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

sean72 wrote: »
    OK so my the updated map says 1st of Nov (yesterday) for estimated completion. There have been sales people around but I scared one off. What do I do now to actually find out if the my area is actually live and sign up?
    Similar here. Map says it's been live since Oct 4th, but eircode checker says it's not live yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Could someone please post a link to the map referred to?

I live in a rural area, however, I'm on the main N25 road so not in a hole somewhere.
    The Eir pole out on the road (which carries the telephone line to the side of our house) had some new wires put onto it about 6 - 9 months ago but nothing has happened and nobody has been in touch with any information.
    At present we are with Digiweb and are lucky to get 2mb on a good day if all our stars are aligned so any improvement on that would be amazing.

If your exchange is live what is the next step. Do you have to contact Eir directly? My exchange was estimated for the 1st Nov was wondering how to progress now?

Until the technicians sign off on it and notify Eir through their internal system that it’s ready, it won’t be available to you.
    The best way to get up to date info is to see if you can meet one of the kn or open air guys and ask them.

• Advertisement

Until the technicians sign off on it and notify Eir through their internal system that it’s ready, it won’t be available to you.
    The best way to get up to date info is to see if you can meet one of the kn or open air guys and ask them.

Cheers .... Weirdly my phone number that is an Eir number but never ever showed any broadband availability ever now says I might be able to get speeds of up to 1000mb and asks me to enter my eircode. When I enter my eircode it just 'spins and spins' ... I wonder what that actual means. Phone number works but eircode freezes?

sean72 wrote: »
    Cheers .... Weirdly my phone number that is an Eir number but never ever showed any broadband availability ever now says I might be able to get speeds of up to 1000mb and asks me to enter my eircode. When I enter my eircode it just 'spins and spins' ... I wonder what that actual means. Phone number works but eircode freezes?

Best to phone Eir

Best to phone Eir

I feared you might say that lol

erica74 wrote: »
    Could someone please post a link to the map referred to?

I live in a rural area, however, I'm on the main N25 road so not in a hole somewhere.
    The Eir pole out on the road (which carries the telephone line to the side of our house) had some new wires put onto it about 6 - 9 months ago but nothing has happened and nobody has been in touch with any information.
    At present we are with Digiweb and are lucky to get 2mb on a good day if all our stars are aligned so any improvement on that would be amazing.

Enter your Eircode on the following page (Check 300K):

http://fibrerollout.ie

This will inform you of your coverage.

The map is on:

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Enter your Eircode on the following page (Check 300K):

http://fibrerollout.ie

This will inform you of your coverage.

The map is on:

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

Thanks a million!

So it says we'll be getting between 30mb and 1000mb and it'll be live in the second half of 2017... Is that a fairytale?
    I'm guessing it won't be "live" as we've had no contact from Eir nor Digiweb about all the magical things they'll be offering.
    Also there's a little blue house on my property on the map, which means "planned".
    Realistically I'm guessing it'll be next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Thanks a million!

So it says we'll be getting between 30mb and 1000mb and it'll be live in the second half of 2017... Is that a fairytale?
    I'm guessing it won't be "live" as we've had no contact from Eir nor Digiweb about all the magical things they'll be offering.
    Also there's a little blue house on my property on the map, which means "planned".

Why would you wait on somebody to contact you ? That only happens, if sales people knock on your door. You won't be contacted .. especially not by your provider, if you're still in contract.

We're past the second half of 2017 and if that says between 30-1000 Mbit/s, then you can avail of either FTTC or FTTH. Just a matter of ringing a provider and letting them do a line test.

/M

Thanks a million!

If the cabling is done as you say, you could have it sooner. eir may actually be preselling your area. Try inputting your Eircode here:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Thanks a million!

Have you seen the fibre splitter boxes on telephone poles near your house? They are small black boxes with a coil of black cable wrapped around. One of them needs to be in place before you can get FTTH installed. As for the date estimate, my own also says "second half of 2017" and it seems to be accurate.

Marlow wrote: »
    Why would you wait on somebody to contact you ? That only happens, if sales people knock on your door. You won't be contacted .. especially not by your provider, if you're still in contract.

We're past the second half of 2017 and if that says between 30-1000 Mbit/s, then you can avail of either FTTC or FTTH. Just a matter of ringing a provider and letting them do a line test.

/M

Well it's their product, I presumed they'd be trying to sell it to customers.

• Advertisement

If the cabling is done as you say, you could have it sooner. eir may actually be preselling your area. Try inputting your Eircode here:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

That says we can get Fibre to the Home. Do I dare to dream?!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement