Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

erica74 wrote: »
    Well it's their product, I presumed they'd be trying to sell it to customers.

- If they can get hold of customers.
    - If customers pick up their phone.
    - If there is enough sales people in the area.
    - If somebody is at home, when the sales people knock on the door.
    - If customers have elected, that they allow them to be contacted.
    - If they haven't missed your number in their marketing list.

There's always more customers than sales people. Otherwise they wouldn't make any money. Lots of opportunity, not to be told.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

plodder wrote: »
    Have you seen the fibre splitter boxes on telephone poles near your house? They are small black boxes with a coil of black cable wrapped around. One of them needs to be in place before you can get FTTH installed. As for the date estimate, my own also says "second half of 2017" and it seems to be accurate.

Sorry for all the posts, can't multi quote on the touch site.

Yeah, there's a box on the pole and a big coil of black cable hanging beside it.

Marlow wrote: »
    If they can get hold of customers. If customers pick up their phone. If there is enough sales people in the area.

There's always more customers than sales people. Otherwise they wouldn't make any money.

/M

Well we definitely haven't been contacted and I'm pretty sure I haven't seen salespeople around the place but then again, they could be kicking around during the day.
    I have an impromptu day off work today, I think I'll ring Digiweb and see what the story is. Or would I be better ringing Eir?

Ps, thanks for all the help everyone, I just spotted this thread on the front page by chance, delighted now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭plodder

Sorry for all the posts, can't multi quote on the touch site.

Yeah, there's a box on the pole and a big coil of black cable hanging beside it.
    Sounds like you are live then, or will be in a short time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

That says we can get Fibre to the Home. Do I dare to dream?!

Yeah as I said it may be a pre-order but it should be available to you within a month if it is not already live. You should be able to order it with eir if you call them. Also just to note there are other resellers available for the product:

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (circular house icons)

• Advertisement

Oh lawd am I excited!!

Thanks so much everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

Our fiber has been live since summer and only one neighbour was visited by sales people. Nobody came near our gates. Even though the pole with the box is actually closer to us than the neighbour. Had to ring Eir myself. Sitting here waiting for KN crowd to show up. Got a call from Eir yesterday to confirm they are coming. Should be interesting to see if they show up:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭shooter69

Got the fiber connected today . 150mb up and approx 25 down so happy - except the eir router range is rubbish. Is the best thing to do now order digiweb? Is the fritz box way better?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Fibre connected Thursday. Contracted for 300Mb. Getting 70Mb Thursday evening. Rang Eir Tech Support. Told me some adjustments had to be made on their side but that I would have 250-300Mb by Friday evening.
    Friday evening still 70Mb. Rang tech support. Did tests ....says everything ok on their side.
    They asked about my computer, cables etc.
    My computer is new and connected to Eir modem by cable supplied with the modem. My computer has a gigabyte network card. After a long time on phone gave up for day.
    Switched off modem going to bed.
    Tested speed this morning. Getting between 100-150Mb. Can anyone tell me whats going on?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 irishd

plodder wrote: »
    Have you seen the fibre splitter boxes on telephone poles near your house? They are small black boxes with a coil of black cable wrapped around. One of them needs to be in place before you can get FTTH installed. As for the date estimate, my own also says "second half of 2017" and it seems to be accurate.

Map has updated since Thursday, all of Oldtown finally showing available now (it has been actually live since October 4th).

We're live for about a week now, finally the kids can get Netflix!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

garroff wrote: »
    Fibre connected Thursday. Contracted for 300Mb. Getting 70Mb Thursday evening. Rang Eir Tech Support. Told me some adjustments had to be made on their side but that I would have 250-300Mb by Friday evening.
    Friday evening still 70Mb. Rang tech support. Did tests ....says everything ok on their side.
    They asked about my computer, cables etc.
    My computer is new and connected to Eir modem by cable supplied with the modem. My computer has a gigabyte network card. After a long time on phone gave up for day.
    Switched off modem going to bed.
    Tested speed this morning. Getting between 100-150Mb. Can anyone tell me whats going on?.

There was talk earlier in this thread (maybe weeks back) about the capacity. I think the conclusion was that when congested you should still get about 60mb. You can still get congestion with ftth.

Got connected yesterday (KN man arrived 4.30pm, 10min after I left the house considering the appt was scheduled for 9am-1am). By 7pm somehow everything was installed.

Wired I am getting around 90mbit (signed up for 150mbit package).
    Wifi is all over the shop:
    - near router getting around 60
    - in next room it's down to 30
    - further away in the kitchen - 15-20
    - didn't test upstairs....wouldn't be surprised if there will be nothing there at all

On the positive side, latency is 3-6ms, my android box (which is using wired connection) is absolutely flying (iptv channels are switching instantly, etc)

Cancelling Eir on Monday and moving to Digi.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Blogin

glen123 wrote: »
    Got connected yesterday (KN man arrived 4.30pm, 10min after I left the house considering the appt was scheduled for 9am-1am). By 7pm somehow everything was installed.

- didn't test upstairs....wouldn't be surprised if there will be nothing there at all

On the positive side, latency is 3-6ms, my android box (which is using wired connection) is absolutely flying (iptv channels are switching instantly, etc)

My installer wiped the fibre strand that goes into the ONT with one of those sterilized wipes. He said if this is not done it can really effect the speed. I was getting 145mb over 5g immediately after Install.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

my android box (which is using wired connection)
    Your equipment is the problem, not the connection.

Thats a bit of a nasty thing to do IMO, you're shafting a €300 loss onto them for basically no benefit.

Hmm. I've connected my phone to 5g just now and got more than 110mbit...The guy who installed everything yesterday told me it didn't matter whether to connect to 4g or 5g!?!?

ED E wrote: »
    Your equipment is the problem, not the connection.

Thats a bit of a nasty thing to do IMO, you're shafting a €300 loss onto them for basically no benefit.

How is my equipment a problem if their router provides poor wifi signal?

I have Huawei router (4g one) - i get wifi signal everywhere in the house with it.

As for nasty thing to do...I didn't put 14 days cooling off period into their contract. They did:)
    Their priority is to make money. My priority is to get the best service I can get for the money I spend.

The law did, not them. Its the Distance Selling Act.

Your android box has a 10/100 network card. With about 90% efficiency thats 90Mb cap. 90 < 150.

Get a good laptop that has a 100/1000 network card and you will see 144-148Mb.

The law did, not them. Its the Distance Selling Act.

Your android box has a 10/100 network card. With about 90% efficiency thats 90Mb cap. 90 < 150.

Get a good laptop that has a 100/1000 network card and you will see 144-148Mb.

So I'll stick with the law so:)

To be honest, 90mbit is more than enough for me. I didn't complain about that at all. It's the wifi signal that is my main issue. I'll ask them on Monday if they can supply me with the better quality modem. If not, than I'll have to look for a better service.

Btw, checked my macbook...It has 10/100/1000BASE-T Gigabit Ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Before you talk to another company see what is their cap, eir will charge you up to 100 Euro a month after 1TB, some other companies don't.

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Before you talk to another company see what is their cap, eir will charge you up to 100 Euro a month after 1TB, some other companies don't.

On Digiweb site it says:
    Unlimited Data: Digiweb operates an uncongested network and 1TB on this plan is considered fair use in any 30 day period prior to the 1st of the month. We do not throttle or cap service, however, if a customer exceeds the stated fair usage allowance for data on more than 2 occasions in any 90 day period, then Digiweb reserve the right to terminate or suspend the customer’s service. Digiweb will proactively contact customers in advance of any suspension or termination of service.

To be honest, I've checked my usage over the past 2 years....5TB. The chances of us using 1TB per month are incredibly low, but I'll keep an eye on my usage, just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

This FTTH is driving me demented. I believed I could only get FTTC as I am less than a 1000m from the exchange then I noticed today that the fibre 'black box' (sorry I don't know the name) is on a pole outside a house only 500m from the exchange? Can anyone shed any light on this one. After thinking I got it I'm now stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I haven't gotten FTTH yet but it has become available in the last two weeks (at last). I'm fully aware that FTTH is much faster than any other connection but is it far better in terms of simultaneous usage i.e. is it better at holding high speeds when 5 people all decide to start watching youtube videos in 1080p?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

sean72 wrote: »
    This FTTH is driving me demented. I believed I could only get FTTC as I am less than a 1000m from the exchange then I noticed today that the fibre 'black box' (sorry I don't know the name) is on a pole outside a house only 500m from the exchange? Can anyone shed any light on this one. After thinking I got it I'm now stumped.

If you look at your house on this map, zoomed in, and it's got a blue house icon on top of it, you should get FTTH.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

What reason are you gonna give for cancelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I haven't gotten FTTH yet but it has become available in the last two weeks (at last). I'm fully aware that FTTH is much faster than any other connection but is it far better in terms of simultaneous usage i.e. is it better at holding high speeds when 5 people all decide to start watching youtube videos in 1080p?

Yes, a lot better. What often will kill a home connection is the upload speed. If someone is uploading a lot of data, everyone else on the network will find their ability to initiate new network activity severely laggy, if not impossible.

The upload speed/bandwidth with fibre is vastly better than a slow rural DSL broadband connection.

A fibre connection can support multiple Youtube streams without breaking into a sweat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

cnocbui wrote: »
    If you look at your house on this map, zoomed in, and it's got a blue house icon on top of it, you should get FTTH.

Well thats of course what I thought and I am on the map and a blue house with estimate completion for the 2 Nov 2017. I even spoke to a KN guy who was out at the exchange today who was doing a local install (so its live, although Eir don't seem to know)

However I was told on this forum that houses with in 1000m of the exchange actually get fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) which has a max limit of 100 mb/s. However I see the fibre (black box) on poles that are 500m from the exchange which has me stumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

The black box is a splice box. The fibre line runs into that box then it splits and feeds up to 4 houses (i think). You have to be reasonably close to a splice box to get FTTH. Take a look at the telephone poles in your area. If it has an L spray painted on it then that pole will get a splice box soon. If a pole has "END" sprayed on it then this is the last pole on the line to get a splice box.

You actually don't have to give a reason if it's within the 14 day cooling off period.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Some people on the thread assumed that you would be upgraded by means of FTTC because you had mentioned previously being close to the exchange (~1KM). The reality is nobody here knows for sure what the specific plans are for your particular area. You'll have to wait until the work is complete to see what product you can order.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

How is my equipment a problem if their router provides poor wifi signal?

I have Huawei router (4g one) - i get wifi signal everywhere in the house with it.

As for nasty thing to do...I didn't put 14 days cooling off period into their contract. They did:)
    Their priority is to make money. My priority is to get the best service I can get for the money I spend.

A simple wireless channel change would sort your wireless issues but from your attitude I've no interest in helping you.

• Advertisement

Don't think I have to give a reason. But if I am asked, "doesn't meet my wifi requirements".

No wifi in one of the rooms upstairs with their router. Very strong wifi signal from my Huawei router in that room and that router used to sit in exactly the same location where Eir router is right now.

It's a bit like changing your car because the fuel was dodgy!

Wi-Fi is local to the house, the fibre uplink is something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

They don’t even ask for a reason as they don’t care if you stay or leave , that in itself is a good reason not to stay when they could not care about holding there customers , so with that attitude image when you have a problem !!!!

Wifi is provided by Eir's router.

A simple wireless channel change would sort your wireless issues but from your attitude I've no interest in helping you.

Did I ask for help?:)

And what attitude?

T&Cs are there to be read and used. Companies themselves use them very well when it comes to hitting customers with fines for exiting contracts early or not to pay their insurance claim. So why should I be worrying about Eir and their profits when I know well that if I decide to leave them 6 months later, they will use their own T&Cs against me?

Nope it’s like changing your car because main dealer was corrupt

• Advertisement

Far better idea would be to buy your own. Rather than swapping a €5 router for a €6 router you could get a €120 router that can really use the link.

The F2000 is a Huawei unit btw, performance would normally be similar to your last one.

Wifi is provided by Eir's router.
    Check the suggestions provided by posters upthread, before throwing Eir out.
    You could end up with the same Wi-Fi issues with the new ISP

Far better idea would be to buy your own. Rather than swapping a €5 router for a €6 router you could get a €120 router that can really use the link.

The F2000 is a Huawei unit btw, performance would normally be similar to your last one.

I have my own Asus €300 router but the one you get from Digiweb is better so did not even consider using the Asus

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

And what attitude?

T&Cs are there to be read and used. Companies themselves use them very well when it comes to hitting customers with fines for exiting contracts early or not to pay their insurance claim. So why should I be worrying about Eir and their profits when I know well that if I decide to leave them 6 months later, they will use their own T&Cs against me?
    True when they get you, no mercy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

Ultimanemo wrote: »

I had a visit from an Eir rep on Wednesday re signing up for Fibre Broadband.
    I asked about the 1 TB fair usage limit. He said that was no longer the case.
    Unlimited means unlimited, end of. Was he enconomical with the truth I wonder?
    I didn't sign on the dotted line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

jelutong wrote: »

No, he told a blatant lie ...... but you can believe him if you wish :)

Did he not offer you a free world cruise as well if you sign :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Unlimited means unlimited, end of.

Still there, see Note 5 here - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭jelutong

addict wrote: »
    Did he not offer you a free world cruise as well if you sign :)

Almost. Told him I still had 12 months left on my existing contract with a different provider. He offered to pay €200 towards buying it out plus a €50 voucher. I'm not making it up.
    He said free installation was only for a limited time also. The usual b/s.

http://support.eir.ie/article/broadband_excess_usage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

And what attitude?

You came on here ranting when a simple configuration change would get you the best performance out of what you've got, but instead of fixing the issue you're happy to change to another provider offering a similar cheap as chips router that could suffer from the exact same issues.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Eir have had a fair usage policy since the introduction of 512k ADSL, it may not have been always monitored but it was always there. Only in the past few years have Eir taken their Fair usage Policy seriously and charging people. Now that people have FTTH, the usage policy is set very low for such connections and customers are going over it and being charged 100 euros, complaints almost weekly on the Eir boards and community forums, also Eir have no intention of getting rid of this policy any time soon.

You came on here ranting when a simple configuration change would get you the best performance out of what you've got, but instead of fixing the issue you're happy to change to another provider offering a similar cheap as chips router that could suffer from the exact same issues.

"Could suffer" doesn't mean I will. But you have a point as well,of course.
    Unfortunately,14 days cooling off doesnt last ages and I dont want to find myself in a situation when:
    -still have issues and can no longer cancel without a loss to myself
    -exceeded 1TB and got charged extra 100eur

P.S. - years ago my phone number got switched to another person for 2days in error. It took days to fix it and no apology from the then Eircom hence my attitude probably:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

First of all, I wouldn't want you as a customer ... because clearly you're a muppet .. (and yes .. that's frank .. but to the point). None of above has anything to do with Eir.

You're

a) testing wrong
    b) Eir has zero responsibility for your network or wireless around your house
    c) Eir has zero responsibility for your equipment.

If you test, test wired (you did with the first test, but god only knows, where you tested to and if you had background downloads on your PC/laptop/whatever).

Hmm. I've connected my phone to 5g just now and got more than 110mbit...The guy who installed everything yesterday told me it didn't matter whether to connect to 4g or 5g!?!?

5G ... this is just another indicator of how much of an ignorant muppet you are. There IS NO 5G in Ireland .. 5G hasn't even been defined properly, nor purchased by operators, nor frequency spectrum been allocated, nor rolled out.

Clearly, you've no clue, what you're talking about. I hope, that once you cancel Eir, that Digiweb refuses to sell you a connection.

Now .. you may talk about 2.4 GHz vs 5 GHz. But that's another story.

Learn something about networking and computers first, then develop an attitute, where you understand what you're dealing with and then understand what it costs to deliver the product you're buying ... maybe you'll appreciate the cost involved.

Just my 2c ..

And if you exceed 1TB on Digiweb, you get cancelled after the 2nd occurance within 90 days. It's in their terms and conditions. Happy days.

/M

Marlow,did I offend you in any way for you to call me a muppet?

Yes, I was talking about 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz...sorry,as a mother of 3kids surrounded by them most of the time, I typed just 5G and never re-checked what I wrote - apologies if this annoyed you.

Why do you hope Digi refuses to sell me a connection? I did nothing wrong to you personally...not that I know of. Besides,Eir will always take me back, I am sure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement