Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

glen123 wrote: »
    Marlow,did I offend you in any way for you to call me a muppet?

Yes, I was talking about 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz...sorry,as a mother of 3kids surrounded by them most of the time, I typed just 5G and never re-checked what I wrote - apologies if this annoyed you.

Why do you hope Digi refuses to sell me a connection? I did nothing wrong to you personally...not that I know of. Besides,Eir will always take me back, I am sure.

First of all .. you were talking about 4G and 5G ...

So you are either talking rubbish or are clueless.

You have 2G, 2.5G, 3G and 4G. These are all cellphone standards for mobile data. So only apply to Eir, if you have a cellphone subscription with Eir .. not FTTH .. and have nothing to do with your FTTH.

And then you have 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz, which are frequencies on which wireless signals are transmitted around your house for data. To your wireless router. And nobody knows how well insulated your house is, how big it is etc. So nobody can guarantee you any speeds there.

Neither of the 2 above have anything to do with each other. Yet you mix them up as they are the same.

You then go on about cancelling Eir, because the problem that you have from day one. Clearly because you don't know, what you're at, those problems will not change with changing providers .. you haven't even identified, where you went wrong.

Then your reasoning is, that Eir will charge you, once you exceed the 1TB limit. To be honest, if exceeding the 1TB limit is your problem, then you're better with EIR .... because: if you're with Digiweb, you'll have no connection once you exceed the limit ... if you're with Eir, they'll charge you for exceeding the limit, but you'll still have a connection.

So, bottom line: you've offended me, by not even understanding the basics of what you're talking about .. nor have you tried to ask questions about the why, how and when ... instead you jumped to conclusions that were unfounded and based on lack of knowledge of what you were talking about.

Oh .. and giving your kids being around and taking up your time as an excuse for doing a proper research on what you're dealing with is the lowest of the low. Either you want to know or you ask somebody to explain it to you. But automatically assuming you're getting screwed, then giving the stress with kids as an excuse is not going to fly with anybody.

/Mn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

Marlow, I do get the difference between 4g/5g and 2.4Ghz/5Ghz. And looking at my post about KN guy telling me no difference between 4g and 5g I agree - looks stupid... was in a hurry when typing it but not an excuse, of course.
    I meant to say 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. But the fact about this KN guy remains - he was standing beside me, when I was testing my wifi connection on my phone and when I asked which one I should connect to (5Ghz or 2.4Ghz), he said "makes no difference.....these routers are not capable of doing more than 50mbit wireless"...When connected to 2.4Mhz I showed him a test of around 60mbit, he thought it was strange - he wasn't expecting that much. If it wasn't for the post from somebody here, it would have taken me a while before I tried 5Ghz which showed me speeds close to 150mbit. I now realise that I should have studied the topic of fiber, frequencies, router setup etc prior to ordering a connection with Eir so that I could tell the KN person what makes a difference and what doesn't:)

And I am not sitting here idle thinking that a switch to Digi will get all my issues sorted.

I've managed to get 2.4Ghz to cover all of the house now with the help of the wifi repeater I had already. On some devices however (my Xiaomi phone, for example) the speed tests are super fast yet web pages are very slow to load, so another thing to look into. Ipads and iphones are fine, so probably something to do with the wifi channel being used...maybe not.

I can only imagine what an average Joe is supposed to learn and do to have all this set up/fixed, considering that majority of people wouldn't even know how to turn on/off their router.

Btw, having no service doesn't worry me (if I exceed 1TB) - I have a backup internet. Paying 100eur for excess is an issue however.

P.S. - Thanks for your feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

jelutong wrote: »
    I had a visit from an Eir rep on Wednesday re signing up for Fibre Broadband.
    I asked about the 1 TB fair usage limit. He said that was no longer the case.
    Unlimited means unlimited, end of. Was he enconomical with the truth I wonder?
    I didn't sign on the dotted line.
    He seems to be wrong

The link is a sticky from their page

https://community.eir.ie/broadband-25/eir-fair-usage-policy-for-broadband-264855

I can only imagine what an average Joe is supposed to learn and do to have all this set up/fixed, considering that majority of people wouldn't even know how to turn on/off their router.

Agreed. And yes, now you're making sense :)
    Btw, having no service doesn't worry me (if I exceed 1TB) - I have a backup internet. Paying 100eur for excess is an issue however.

It's 100 EUR max, depending on how much you go over (2.50EUR per 10GB). But yes, their excess pricing is a bit steep. Until other providers offer a product nationwide, that has a higher cap or are unlimited (none really ever are, as they just go Unlimited = Fair Usage Policy, which means they don't tell you) that's the only choice, where you can go over 1TB.

And with 3 Kids in the house .. especially if they are teenagers .... usage can ramp up quickly. So it'll be wise to keep an eye on it.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

People need to realise Wi-Fi inside your house is not part of the package from any provider. They provide a wired Ethernet connection and a Wi-Fi router is provided for convenience. How well Wi-Fi works is completely down to the position of this router and also to local interference, other devices inside your house or even your neighbours houses could be using the same frequencies. If this happens you need to fix it yourself, a frequency (channel) change can help. For better signal in areas with a weak signal adding an access point on a different frequency is the best option

People need to realise Wi-Fi inside your house is not part of the package from any provider.

The problem here is actually caused by Eir themselves ... You have Fixed Wireless products (by others) .. which is "Wireless Broadband" ...

And then Eir thought to themselves: that's a great term ... because the router we supply has WiFi, lets market our dsl as "Wireless Broadband".

So now everyone and their granny expect to get a wifi router with their broadband by default if it says "wireless" and they also expect, that the "wireless" connectivity is part of the product and full speed all the time and everywhere in the house of course ... at no extra expense. Because .. why would you try and educate yourself first ? No need for that.

/M

And another crowd took it even further, calling their product: "LTE super fast Fibre Broadband" .... and it had nothing to do with fiber ... doesn't even get near basic FTTH speeds. eFiber is an equal marketing scam.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

Anyone have any experience how long it takes for fiber to be available to the customer to sign up for once the splice boxes have been connected and fiber has been run ? My guess is a few weeks ?

Marlow wrote: »

And with 3 Kids in the house .. especially if they are teenagers .... usage can ramp up quickly. So it'll be wise to keep an eye on it.

/M

I've moved away from sat tv completely to iptv recently, so this will probably take me close to 1TB....will need to monitor this carefully, I'd say.

DNS server change fixed the issues on my Xiaomi, btw. :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Hi chaps /chapesses in the know...

My house is down for Autumn / Winter 17 ftth.

The KN lads started digging holes and popping the lovely fibre through from last Thursday.

They have been working over the w/e and they are currently digging a hole only a few yards from my house.

So, what I am asking is, from your experience, how long does it take from the hole digging bit to allowing orders to be processed?

Ta

ads20101 wrote: »

The KN lads started digging holes and popping the lovely fibre through from last Thursday.

They have been working over the w/e and they are currently digging a hole only a few yards from my house.

So, what I am asking is, from your experience, how long does it take from the hole digging bit to allowing orders to be processed?

Ta

In our case it was 3 months.

Cheers Glen

Also... They're now just outside my house!!!

:)

Cheers Glen

Also... They're now just outside my house!!!

:)

When KN were doing the work in April, I spoke to them and even then they told me 3 months. Maybe worth having a chat with them since they are outside your house?

When KN were doing the work in April, I spoke to them and even then they told me 3 months. Maybe worth having a chat with them since they are outside your house?

I tried.

There was 2 of them feeding through some cable.

I think they were speaking polish (not sure, but it sure wasn't Irish or English). The chap in the hole popped up and said in broken English 'I don't understand you'

There were others were working down the road a bit - I lost my bottle at this point and quietly sulked back into the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

People need to realise Wi-Fi inside your house is not part of the package from any provider. They provide a wired Ethernet connection and a Wi-Fi router is provided for convenience. How well Wi-Fi works is completely down to the position of this router and also to local interference, other devices inside your house or even your neighbours houses could be using the same frequencies. If this happens you need to fix it yourself, a frequency (channel) change can help. For better signal in areas with a weak signal adding an access point on a different frequency is the best option

There seem to be some issues in terms of Wi-Fi coverage with the supplied Eir router. My brother recently got FTTH and told me the router wasn’t great.

Does the set up with Eir have a separate modem/router or is it an all in one device. I currently have two AirPort Extremes managing my local Wi-Fi (although crappy internet speeds). Is using your own equipment easy with Eir a simple process?

• Advertisement

sean72 wrote: »
    There seem to be some issues in terms of Wi-Fi coverage with the supplied Eir router. My brother recently got FTTH and told me the router wasn’t great.

Does the set up with Eir have a separate modem/router or is it an all in one device. I currently have two AirPort Extremes managing my local Wi-Fi (although crappy internet speeds). Is using your own equipment easy with Eir a simple process?

It's an all in one device and it's rubbish. They have an over 50% return rate on faulty units (So bad that Eir is looking into other options) .. and no that's not an official statement, but it comes from a place very close to the source.

Best bet is, disable the Wi-Fi in their router and stick your own device behind it.. Or simply get a better router.

The Fritz!Box that for example Westnet and Digiweb are using can be got for around 110 EUR.

/M

It's an all in one device and it's rubbish. They have an over 50% return rate on faulty units (So bad that Eir is looking into other options) .. and no that's not an official statement, but it comes from a place very close to the source.

Best bet is, disable the Wi-Fi in their router and stick your own device behind it.. Or simply get a better router.

The Fritz!Box that for example Westnet and Digiweb are using can be got for around 110 EUR.

/M

Thanks for that. Are the settings simple to access to disable the Wi-Fi etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fibre312

Almost. Told him I still had 12 months left on my existing contract with a different provider. He offered to pay €200 towards buying it out plus a €50 voucher. I'm not making it up.
    He said free installation was only for a limited time also. The usual b/s.

It's not usual bs Eir are introducing setup fees in December.

thehorse wrote: »
    Anyone have any experience how long it takes for fiber to be available to the customer to sign up for once the splice boxes have been connected and fiber has been run ? My guess is a few weeks ?

Anyone ?

Almost. Told him I still had 12 months left on my existing contract with a different provider. He offered to pay €200 towards buying it out plus a €50 voucher. I'm not making it up.
    He said free installation was only for a limited time also. The usual b/s.

It's not uncommon that all. Sales people often are paid by the amount of subs, they have. If they're just a few short, then they even make offers like that out of their own pocket just to hit their target number and to archive certain bonus figures.

And the limited time free installation is spot on. Free installation will disappear soon. It's costing Eir quite a lot. Over 300 EUR for every customer.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Anyone ?

At least two months in my experience.

Ta
    Anyone ?

Reading back helps :) It's even on this page.

/M

Reading back helps :) It's even on this page.

/M

Sorry, missed the comment
    :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Fibre312

It's not uncommon that all. Sales people often are paid by the amount of subs, they have. If they're just a few short, then they even make offers like that out of their own pocket just to hit their target number and to archive certain bonus figures.

And the limited time free installation is spot on. Free installation will disappear soon. It's costing Eir quite a lot. Over 300 EUR for every customer.

/M

On a side note the €200 buyout credit offer is correct and also the €50 cashback is also a valid offer and both can be combined.

Fibre312 wrote: »
    On a side note the €200 buyout credit offer is correct and also the €50 cashback is also a valid offer and both can be combined.

Costly way buying customers for Eir, but I can see the purpose. Get them into a long contract, a lot will not change for years. Unless stuff goes south and india support fails the customer.

And well, the excess usage charges will also make up for it, plus call charges.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,594 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

addict wrote: »
    They don’t even ask for a reason as they don’t care if you stay or leave , that in itself is a good reason not to stay when they could not care about holding there customers , so with that attitude image when you have a problem !!!!

So you can then switch to Digiweb for €54.95pm and not have to pay the €199 installation fee?

So you can then switch to Digiweb for €54.95pm and not have to pay the €199 installation fee?

If the line is in place, yes. It costs the provider a very small fee to re-enable an existing line compared to getting a new one put in.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

If the line is in place, yes. It costs the provider a very small fee to re-enable an existing line compared to getting a new one put in.

This was discussed in Comreg's consultation on the recovery of connection costs earlier this year, where the first provider bears all the initial installation cost. Looking at the option of recovering the installation costs via the monthly bill or a combination of the monthly bill and smaller initial install fee.

The Cush wrote: »
    This was discussed in Comreg's consultation on the recovery of connection costs earlier this year, where the first provider bears all the initial installation cost. Looking at the option of recovering the installation costs via the monthly bill or a combination of the monthly bill and smaller initial install fee.

I'm not sure, how this tells anything different than what I said. I'm just referring to the actual cost to the provider.

The cost of putting the line in is down to the provider that orders the initial install. A line transfer or re-enabling of an established line (FTTH or otherwise) on the OpenEIR platform costs next to nothing.

That's the current state of affairs anyhow. Until Comreg decides otherwise.

/M

I'm not sure, how this tells anything different than what I said.

It doesn't, just saying this situation may change in future.

• Advertisement

It doesn't, just saying this situation may change in future.

I'd hope, that OpenEIR gets pushed to cut the cost on the initial cost, while we're at it. They're charging more than 3 times, than what for example SIRO charges for an initial install. Nevermind the monthly costs.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭plodder

In our case, it seems to have been about a month. That's probably the minimum, and there could be other constraints that might delay it longer.

Fibre312 wrote: »
    It's not usual bs Eir are introducing setup fees in December.

Have they announced this or is this the end of a promotion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Heighway61

The work has been completed on our road since September and the PDF states second half 2017. I emailed openeir and they said March 2018.

I am really getting the jitters deal with Eir. I put my phone number into their site on Friday and for the first time ever got a message to say 'you can get upto 1000mb Internet'. I also spoke to a KN engineer who was at our exchange who told not only was it live but that he was completing an install of FTTC.

Today I put in my number to their site and nothing! puff its gone. I am actually with Eir for my landline and cannot believe I can't get them to 'sell me an internet package'

I know its early days and that I am a keen customer but ..... I'm getting a bad feeling about this.

Would trying to find another provider be advisable?

Ring Eir. Their site was showing nothing for my Eircode for a good 2 months after FTTP became available for my house. When you call them, they have more up to date information available to them or so I was told by Eir customer service when I rang them.

The map was updated today. I don't know if they made a mistake but there was quite a small increase in numbers from the last update (~3500). Also some places are still listed as going live on the 4th of October despite having green icons on the new map. I'll give it a few days to see if they rectify the mistakes.

The following places were given due live dates:

1st Nov:

Donegal Greencastle
    Galway Ahascragh
    Galway Carraroe
    Limerick Murroe
    Offaly Edenderry
    Waterford Loskeran
    Wicklow Ashford

My area, Murroe Limerick is live, I saw a KN van at a house on Saturday afternoon. Overhead cable ran from the pole to the gable end.

One route, mostly underground hasn't been cabled yet.

Ring Eir. Their site was showing nothing for my Eircode for a good 2 months after FTTP became available for my house. When you call them, they have more up to date information available to them or so I was told by Eir customer service when I rang them.

Well I rang Eir and I can't really believe what they said. They said and I quote that I have to wait until Eir send me a new Eircode. I said but the eircode is unique to your house and is allocated and nothing to do with Eir, do you mean a 'code from Eir', nope he said a new Eircode.

Anyone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 irishd

Some people on the thread assumed that you would be upgraded by means of FTTC because you had mentioned previously being close to the exchange (~1KM). The reality is nobody here knows for sure what the specific plans are for your particular area. You'll have to wait until the work is complete to see what product you can order.

That's exactly right .... I'm 25m from the exchange and have FTTH not FTTC.

In this case, according to the KN installer, they just skipped upgrading the local exchange and ran all the fibre underground from the neighbouring village (4km away) instead.

• Advertisement

irishd wrote: »
    That's exactly right .... I'm 25m from the exchange and have FTTH not FTTC.

In this case, according to the KN installer, they just skipped upgrading the local exchange and ran all the fibre underground from the neighbouring village (4km away) instead.

TBH I’d be glad of either but in my dealing with Eir it’s just a real life version of ‘computer says no’.

They have not skipped my exchange as I spoke to the KN engineer working at the exchange on Saturday who said it was active. Just weirdly in all but one direction1000m from the exchange there are no splice box’s. As I said it’s fine just thought it was a standard thing.

Anyway after the day I’ve had trying to get any information from Eir I won’t be holding my breath. I thought Ripplecom were poor at times but by Eir standards they are a dream. If only they offered higher speeds I think I’d stay.

TBH I’d be glad of either but in my dealing with Eir it’s just a real life version of ‘computer says no’.

They have not skipped my exchange as I spoke to the KN engineer working at the exchange on Saturday who said it was active. Just weirdly in all but one direction1000m from the exchange there are no splice box’s. As I said it’s fine just thought it was a standard thing.

Anyway after the day I’ve had trying to get any information from Eir I won’t be holding my breath. I thought Ripplecom were poor at times but by Eir standards they are a dream. If only they offered higher speeds I think I’d stay.

Perhaps try their Talk To forum. I have no idea what they mean about assigning you an Eircode.

https://www.boards.ie/ttforum/1293

Edit: Sorry I see you have already posted there. Maybe try ringing back and hope to get a more knowledgeable rep?

Well I rang Eir and I can't really believe what they said. They said and I quote that I have to wait until Eir send me a new Eircode. I said but the eircode is unique to your house and is allocated and nothing to do with Eir, do you mean a 'code from Eir', nope he said a new Eircode.
    I have no idea what they mean about assigning you an Eircode.

I wonder if the rep is mixing up eircodes with their own ARD IDs - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102848556

I wonder if the rep is mixing up eircodes with their own ARD IDs - https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102848556

So do they post these to your door whenever your area is active? As this is what sales said on the phone

Good memory Cush! So Sean would have an existing ARD ID as he has a copper line. The delay may be in the issuing of the new ARD ID for the FTTH line? Hopefully it gets sorted soon.

So do they post these to your door whenever your area is active? As this is what sales said on the phone

No these would be nothing to do with the customer. It is between the wholesaler, Openeir and whatever retailer you choose. It sounds like you were talking to someone who did not really understand the situation.

• Advertisement

No these would be nothing to do with the customer. It is between the wholesaler, Openeir and whatever retailer you choose. It sounds like you were talking to someone who did not really understand the situation.
    Yeah I very much guessed that was the case

Yeah I very much guessed that was the case

I do recall some people posting in the thread saying they got letters stating that their area was live and they could order. Perhaps this is what the rep meant.

Hopefully it is just a case of you waiting a short while for everything to update then placing an order.

OK maybe I need to explain the stage I think I am at.  My exchange had an estimated date for completion of works (1st Nov 2017). I subsequently spoke to a KN engineer on the 4th Nov who was working at the exchange and said it was active and he was doing an install at that time.
    Firstly from what I can gather I think it might be early days at my exchange and they are testing a few houses off it over say the next month before its expanded or fully active.  Would that be a practice/procedure any of you have heard of?
    Secondly and what has me frustrated today is that there does not seem to be an alternative way to the 'Eir fella' at the door to pre-register.  My father-in-law (neighbouring parish 1 month ahead activation wise) did this with the guy at the door and is having his installed this week with just that communication at the doorstep. 
    So if I keep getting the 'computer says no' response from Eir how have any of you that didn't sign up at the door eventual sign up?

OK maybe I need to explain the stage I think I am at.  My exchange had an estimated date for completion of works (1st Nov 2017). I subsequently spoke to a KN engineer on the 4th Nov who was working at the exchange and said it was active and he was doing an install at that time.
    Firstly from what I can gather I think it might be early days at my exchange and they are testing a few houses off it over say the next month before its expanded or fully active.  Would that be a practice/procedure any of you have heard of?
    Secondly and what has me frustrated today is that there does not seem to be an alternative way to the 'Eir fella' at the door to pre-register.  My father-in-law (neighbouring parish 1 month ahead activation wise) did this with the guy at the door and is having his installed this week with just that communication at the doorstep. 
    So if I keep getting the 'computer says no' response from Eir how have any of you that didn't sign up at the door eventual sign up?

This is most likely your issue. They do not enable a whole exchange area at once. It is done in parts seemingly following the order of when it was cabled. So for example, north of an exchange could be live while east, west and south are not. Over the following weeks the remaining areas are enabled until the whole area is live.

It is most likely just a case of waiting for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45 irishd

From my experience, it went:

1. Eir reps descended on the place
    2. Eir's Eircode checker allows pre-registration (not actual sign-up)

Those two were pretty much the same time for me, others have reported reps canvassing the area long before any change on the checker.

3. Eir's Eircode checker allows ordering - this was a few weeks later, only then were other retailers able to see it live & take sign-ups also.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement