Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

sean72 wrote: »
    OK maybe I need to explain the stage I think I am at.  My exchange had an estimated date for completion of works (1st Nov 2017). I subsequently spoke to a KN engineer on the 4th Nov who was working at the exchange and said it was active and he was doing an install at that time.
    Firstly from what I can gather I think it might be early days at my exchange and they are testing a few houses off it over say the next month before its expanded or fully active.  Would that be a practice/procedure any of you have heard of?
    Secondly and what has me frustrated today is that there does not seem to be an alternative way to the 'Eir fella' at the door to pre-register.  My father-in-law (neighbouring parish 1 month ahead activation wise) did this with the guy at the door and is having his installed this week with just that communication at the doorstep. 
    So if I keep getting the 'computer says no' response from Eir how have any of you that didn't sign up at the door eventual sign up?

This is most likely your issue. They do not enable a whole exchange area at once. It is done in parts seemingly following the order of when it was cabled. So for example, north of an exchange could be live while east, west and south are not. Over the following weeks the remaining areas are enabled until the whole area is live.

It is most likely just a case of waiting for you.
    Thanks for the lay of the land. I guessed it might be a further waiting game but I have heard of people not hearing or finding out when lines were active so I wanted to be in a position to keep on top of it.  I guess for me it was the hope of maybe finalising an install in time for Christmas.
    I will play the patient game, based on my in-law it was about a month between door sellers and actual install appointments.  So I'll check again week by week.
    It is a shame though that Eir reps just can't explain things ... i.e. the normal pattern would be, with a rough time line of events and instead just adopt a 'I know nothing' Manuel approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

My long, long wait is over.
    Fibre finally connected and working. Contracted for 300Mb....getting 220Mb. Some thoughts for those on the "blue line" and waiting.
    Don't listen to salespeople who call. Keep a record of all transactions with Eir. They really are unbelievable. Note day/time of transactions and can you get a name.
    If overhead cable required....have timber cut before installer arrives. If underground....I would advise opening pipe along run especially if you have bends. Know where you want to interface with cable....if you can.... drill hole.
    Installer may arrive alone....be prepared to lend a hand.
    Finally...its going to cost you more than you thought.
    The end result is brilliant, but it is a pity the way it is being rolled out.
    Enjoy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'd love to know what the failure rate is of installs due to ducting or timber problems. There have been posters here who tried to get an install, then the ducting problem arises and they leave it not knowing what to do next or who to contact and KN/Eir do not get involved with these issues until the customer solves them.

This seems to be a very poor way to doing business. KN/Eir should have an optional charge if problems like this arise so that the customer can still get connected, rather than walking away from the problem.

In my area 2 more of my neighbours connected to FTTH since yesterday morning. The splice box opposite my drive now has 4 homes feeding off it including mine. Over half the homes on my road now have the service.

Installer had 4 failures in 1 day last week. Ducts blocked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I used the line checker yesterday with my eircode. It said that fibre was available at my home. I now look at the rollout map and my house is the only one with a blue house icon. Do I believe the line checker or not?

On the eir site there is a link "where to buy". I see people getting eir and then cancelling within the cooling off period and switching to Digiweb or whatever. Can you not just buy from one of the listed providers? What is the benefit of signing up with eir, then switching? Am I missing something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭glen123

Falcon L wrote: »
    I used the line checker yesterday with my eircode. It said that fibre was available at my home. I now look at the rollout map and my house is the only one with a blue house icon. Do I believe the line checker or not?

On the eir site there is a link "where to buy". I see people getting eir and then cancelling within the cooling off period and switching to Digiweb or whatever. Can you not just buy from one of the listed providers? What is the benefit of signing up with eir, then switching? Am I missing something?
    If you don't have the connection installed, Digiweb will charge you 200eur. 

If the online checker shows availability, it's a good sign for sure. Eir themselves will have to do their own checks when you ring them as they have access to a more up to date information (this is what their customer service told me when I rang them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

garroff wrote: »
    If overhead cable required....have timber cut before installer arrives. 
    Can you clarify what you mean by having timber cut, please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

hmboards wrote: »
    Can you clarify what you mean by having timber cut, please?

Bushes & trees that might interfere?

Bushes & trees that might interfere?

Yes. In my case the Openeir duct could not accommodate the fibre cable so a new pole was required. This enabled Openeir to go overhead to new pole and then use my duct(which was larger than Openeir duct) to access house. I had to cut the timber for the span of overhead.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Turfwarrior

As people are saying try have as much prep done before install, I cut back trees and was ready for a drop line as a duct was out of the question.I was talking to a different kn guy doing neighbours install and he said you could bring a duct overground alone a hedge if you wanted..decided against it. The installer was very willing to follow the route of my old ISP cable..he wouldnt install the ONT in attic and brought the fibre line in through gable vent and down through hotpress into front room.this is where he terminated the fibre line. I am getting 112down & 24up this evening so suffering a bit of contention but uptake in the area has been 70-80%.

Word of warning as has been stated here before with dealing with eir sales...they don't understand half of their own products. I missed the door to door sales and rang eir shop in maynooth and was told I could order FTTH, took morning off work to go in and sign on the dotted line only to be told by a different member of staff that it can't be ordered??! What was the eir door to door guy selling? Was it AIR as opposed to EIR!?

Left the shop quiet frustrated and decided to call 1800 sales number...they needed land line number which I haven't had in about a decade,couldn't proceed.
    Found number, rang back to be told it was reallocated to a diff property and anyway it wasn't needed??! But the Indian sounding guy was very adamant that I needed to install a landline first before he could order FTTH for me??! Something about needing to allocate some number at the exchange to my property?
    Tried to tell him I didn't want r need a landline,just FTTH and even stated to him that the FTTH doesn't run off the copper telephone cables.
    He got quiet arrogant and told me that if I wanted FTTH with Eir that I would have to install the telephone line?!! I declined his offer.

Had a cup of t and decided to try again,eventually I got a non-foreign lady called Lorraine who was very helpful and processed my order in about 5 minutes,got email confirmation which stated 18month contract when I signed up for 12.

Moral of the story is in my opinion keep trying as it seems to depend who you get on the other end of the phone but they sure do try your patience but has this product been worth the wait and enormous hassle...only time will tell but I'm not so sure

As far as changing providers to screw Eir over and get a free install for all the hassle the caused me with trying to order the product I couldn't waste anymore time dealing with an ISP at the moment..product is working so leave well enough alone,ie. Misses & kids are happy

Not sure if this number is general knowledge but was given a number for support and they seem to know their stuff, its 01430 7312

• Advertisement

As people are saying try have as much prep done before install, I cut back trees and was ready for a drop line as a duct was out of the question.I was talking to a different kn guy doing neighbours install and he said you could bring a duct overground alone a hedge if you wanted..decided against it. The installer was very willing to follow the route of my old ISP cable..he wouldnt install the ONT in attic and brought the fibre line in through gable vent and down through hotpress into front room.this is where he terminated the fibre line. I am getting 112down & 24up this evening so suffering a bit of contention but uptake in the area has been 70-80%.

Word of warning as has been stated here before with dealing with eir sales...they don't understand half of their own products. I missed the door to door sales and rang eir shop in maynooth and was told I could order FTTH, took morning off work to go in and sign on the dotted line only to be told by a different member of staff that it can't be ordered??! What was the eir door to door guy selling? Was it AIR as opposed to EIR!?

Left the shop quiet frustrated and decided to call 1800 sales number...they needed land line number which I haven't had in about a decade,couldn't proceed.
    Found number, rang back to be told it was reallocated to a diff property and anyway it wasn't needed??! But the Indian sounding guy was very adamant that I needed to install a landline first before he could order FTTH for me??! Something about needing to allocate some number at the exchange to my property?
    Tried to tell him I didn't want r need a landline,just FTTH and even stated to him that the FTTH doesn't run off the copper telephone cables.
    He got quiet arrogant and told me that if I wanted FTTH with Eir that I would have to install the telephone line?!! I declined his offer.

Had a cup of t and decided to try again,eventually I got a non-foreign lady called Lorraine who was very helpful and processed my order in about 5 minutes,got email confirmation which stated 18month contract when I signed up for 12.

Moral of the story is in my opinion keep trying as it seems to depend who you get on the other end of the phone but they sure do try your patience but has this product been worth the wait and enormous hassle...only time will tell but I'm not so sure

As far as changing providers to screw Eir over and get a free install for all the hassle the caused me with trying to order the product I couldn't waste anymore time dealing with an ISP at the moment..product is working so leave well enough alone,ie. Misses & kids are happy

Not sure if this number is general knowledge but was given a number for support and they seem to know their stuff, its 01430 7312

Thanks for that. Really helpful and the number. How did they actually confirm you could get FTTH without the phone number in the end. Every conversation I’m having with them is certred around the number. My area is not fully active but when it is I want the quickest way to proceed. Is the number you provided the best option you found and was it you address/Eircode that they used in the end?

In my case, I was lucky with their customer service first time. Haven't had a landline in years. Rang Eir, gave them my Eircode. They confirmed FTTP was available. I advised I didn't have a landline and that I didn't need one. The lady I spoke to said it was fine and I also got an email confirming the order 5min after the call.
    So basically, Eircode alone should be enough. If somebody in Eir says otherwise, keep trying until you come across a person that knows what they are talking about.

Thanks for that. Really helpful and the number. How did they actually confirm you could get FTTH without the phone number in the end. Every conversation I’m having with them is certred around the number. My area is not fully active but when it is I want the quickest way to proceed. Is the number you provided the best option you found and was it you address/Eircode that they used in the end?

Lorraine just used my Eircode and I said w wanted to order standalone 150mb Extreme broadband, her reply was no problem.
    You just have to keep trying, I know its very frustrating and time consuming but don't let them insist that you need to install a telephone line if you don't want one. I was in your boat and I know its tempting to jump overboard but stick with it..if its available in your area you just need the right person on the other end of the phone.

BTW neighbours install kn employee said they would I stall in an attic and enter your attic but my installer would do neither but I done the attic run so it didn't matter..so the install seems to differ from person to person also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

This is very much typical of the service I have been getting from eir too. Unfortunately, I still haven't been connected.

I have had a much better experience dealing with vodafone and they will soon be offering packages on the Openeir infrastructure (as opposed to SIRO as was initially planned). It appears they only offer 18 month contracts though, which I really hate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Real work: Open Eir
    Consumer side: Eir
    Shops: Contractor A
    Door to Door: Contractor B
    Telesales: Contractor C

Expecting a co-ordinated response is probably a little too much (not condoning the system)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

ED E wrote: »
    Real work: Open Eir
    Consumer side: Eir
    Shops: Contractor A
    Door to Door: Contractor B
    Telesales: Contractor C
    Also add:

Separate 'Eir' customer Service: Contractor D

A lot of the time you get answered by a call centre in India (by the sound of it) and they seem to know even less than the Irish staff. I find this the case especially with Online Chat service - most of the time the Indian responders simply give up and ask you to call the regular helpline number.

They're all Dublin, and one company. An Indian one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Please stop calling it FTTP.
    I know it's exactly the same thing but it's known as FTTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

long_b wrote: »

Wow, I never knew there was that many sub-categories of FTTP :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Wow, I never knew there was that many sub-categories of FTTP :)

I stand corrected... and now want FTTD

long_b wrote: »

It's FTTH of course - sorry. Typo:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

glen123 wrote: »
    It's FTTH of course - sorry. Typo:)

You need that keyboard replaced. It really has too much Murphys law build in.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    You need that keyboard replaced. It really has too much Murphys law build in.

/M

Give me at least some credit for not calling FTP))

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

What’s the process for upgrading an exchange so it can provide 1000mb fibre?
    Forget about the running of ftth , im just asking specifically about the exchange piece
    Thx

Well this morning I was able to place my order via the Eir website but only for up to 50mb/s ..... When I first knew I was on the roll out I was dreaming of 1000mb/s speeds .... anyway on the positive side I have a bundle that includes landline and cost 5 euro more than I am currently paying for landline alone. Plus my current wireless cost 85 euro per month. A saving of 80 euro ..... loads for Netflix and the like.

Roll out the upgrade to actual fibre in the next decade.

• Advertisement

Quick question for anyone that got FTTH via a dropwire from a pole. How thick is the cable? Using a standard pencil as a guage... bigger? Smaller?

Or if someone can run a caliper over it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 47 addict

Quick question for anyone that got FTTH via a dropwire from a pole. How thick is the cable? Using a standard pencil as a guage... bigger? Smaller?

Or if someone can run a caliper over it? :D

2mmX3mm it’s that small I wonder how it’s going to stand a good Irish winter and KN lads wonder themselves about it

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

addict wrote: »
    2mmX3mm it’s that small I wonder how it’s going to stand a good Irish winter and KN lads wonder themselves about it

if installed from the wrong pole further away then it won't last long. The main fibre connection is protected where it runs under big trees, but the wire running from the splice box to customers homes isnt.

In my original case the fibre was ran from 5 poles away, through lots of oak trees and the first evening we had more than a breeeze, the whole connection went and I had no broadband for 2 weeks. Since then it's all been wired up again but from the splice box beside my home so no more tree's to worry about. The only thing which would cause an issue now would be if a severe storm brings down a tree and the main fibre line would be cut off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

There in batterstown co meath wiring up fibre on the pole KN and Open Eir about 3 vans .

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

They are working around Sixmilebridge now. They did some work on underground ducts about 6 weeks ago, and I've just spotted the fibre is now out of the ducts waiting to be run overhead on the poles.
    I was originally down for a December connection date, but with latest map update that is now pushed out to Winter/Spring 2108.
    But at least I can finally see some work happening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Robxxx7

They are working around Sixmilebridge now. They did some work on underground ducts about 6 weeks ago, and I've just spotted the fibre is now out of the ducts waiting to be run overhead on the poles.
    I was originally down for a December connection date, but with latest map update that is now pushed out to Winter/Spring 2108.
    But at least I can finally see some work happening.

Are you sure your not waiting for the NBP ! :D:D

Jazzus... that's tiny. And that's the drop from the pole to the house?

Should have no issues pulling it through a hole left by a TV coax that I want to do away with. I could pull the coax out with a draw string attached, leaving that in place to make the installation easier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Jazzus... that's tiny. And that's the drop from the pole to the house?

Should have no issues pulling it through a hole left by a TV coax that I want to do away with. I could pull the coax out with a draw string attached, leaving that in place to make the installation easier.

Yes the drop cable is that small. Here is the datasheet for it.

I was able to order from eir this morning after a line check based on phone number. I know I’m on FTTC and the limits of same but this is the first time I’ve seen ‘you can have speeds of up to 50mb/s. I’m only 450 m from the exchange and thought I might get more 60-70 range. Do you think the 50 is a given or is there still a chance of better speeds when the install is completed?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

If it's an existing phone line it's probably pretty accurate. The line might take a circuitous route to the exchange, or there may be some joints on it, or...

I was able to order from eir this morning after a line check based on phone number. I know I’m on FTTC and the limits of same but this is the first time I’ve seen ‘you can have speeds of up to 50mb/s. I’m only 450 m from the exchange and thought I might get more 60-70 range. Do you think the 50 is a given or is there still a chance of better speeds when the install is completed?
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    If it's an existing phone line it's probably pretty accurate. The line might take a circuitous route to the exchange, or there may be some joints on it, or...

Exchange or cab? Exchanges are a little more limited than cabs. They're also noisier.

Any existing faults like oB mentioned can reduce it, bride taps, shorts in internals etc etc. But 50 wouldnt be a bad result as you're maxing the upstream.

Exchange or cab? Exchanges are a little more limited than cabs. They're also noisier.

Any existing faults like oB mentioned can reduce it, bride taps, shorts in internals etc etc. But 50 wouldnt be a bad result as you're maxing the upstream.

Ah well it’s still 7 times faster that what I have now and the bundles make it almost free for me. I assume at some stage in the distant future even those in the 1km range will get fibre lines.

One of the kn lads I was speaking to reckons 3-5 years but admitted they didn't exactly know how it will stand up to our climate.

In a very hypothetical situation, for information purposes only, would two unethical criminals somehow be able to split one 1000Mbit broadband package between two houses? It would be interesting to know so that I could report these unethical people for engaging in such practices...

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

One of the kn lads I was speaking to reckons 3-5 years but admitted they didn't exactly know how it will stand up to our climate.

Unless it's damaged by trees it should be fine. Two KFRP strength members and a messenger wire should stand up to weather just fine.

• Advertisement

bfa1509 wrote: »
    In a very hypothetical situation, for information purposes only, would two unethical criminals somehow be able to split one 1000Mbit broadband package between two houses? It would be interesting to know so that I could report these unethical people for engaging in such practices...

There's nothing unethical about splitting any odd broadband package between houses. What you do after the termination point is up to yourself.

Nobody hinders you, to either share the broadband between people inside your house or run a cable, wireless connection or any other connection whatsoever to your neighbor.

The only thing you have to be aware of, is that whoever is the contract holder is also responsible for whatever happens on the broadband connection. So if it's used illegally, the contract holder is held responsible. Simples.

/M

Its been stress tested in Belcarra since ~2014ish. Poles coming down is more of an issue than the optics themselves.

There's nothing unethical about splitting any odd broadband package between houses. What you do after the termination point is up to yourself.

Nobody hinders you, to either share the broadband between people inside your house or run a cable, wireless connection or any other connection whatsoever to your neighbor.

The only thing you have to be aware of, is that whoever is the contract holder is also responsible for whatever happens on the broadband connection. So if it's used illegally, the contract holder is held responsible. Simples.

If you get a copy of most residential BB contracts it explicitly states for use of that single dwelling/one household/one address or other such wording.

NB: Running copper cabling to your neighbour is a big no no for electrical safety reasons, if you were cabling between dwellings it needs to be optical.

Its been stress tested in Belcarra since ~2014ish. Poles coming down is more of an issue than the optics themselves.

The issue being, that poles coming down .. especially in the wescht ... is a common occurance ... be it caused by winter storms, sabotage or drunk drivers :) Or the darn things simply being rotten.

The ESB is now testing carbon fiber poles. But I can't imagine OpenEir ever investing that harsh.

/M

I'll see your pole and raise you a cabinet that some idiot totalled. Lovely months outage. #JustLimerickThings

If you get a copy of most residential BB contracts it explicitly states for use of that single dwelling/one household/one address or other such wording.

Depends on the provider. I can can give you an example of a provider just stating, it's not suitable for sharing and won't be supported. But beyond that they don't care.
    NB: Running copper cabling to your neighbour is a big no no for electrical safety reasons, if you were cabling between dwellings it needs to be optical.

Well. Specifically copper cabling would also be a problem with building regulations etc., unless it's installed by a certified electrician. Either way, lots of other ways to connect multiple premises.

/M

Depends on the provider. I can can give you an example of a provider just stating, it's not suitable for sharing and won't be supported. But beyond that they don't care.

Well. Specifically copper cabling would also be a problem with building regulations etc., unless it's installed by a certified electrician. Either way, lots of other ways to connect multiple premises.

/M

I was thinking more along the lines of what a rogue engineer could do at the splice box so that two houses could run off the same account. But maybe this is not even possible.

bfa1509 wrote: »
    I was thinking more along the lines of what a rogue engineer could do at the splice box so that two houses could run off the same account. But maybe this is not even possible.

It's not. Because first of all,
    - you've got the configuration in the ONT. And ONT can not be moved to another OLT without configuration.
    - Then you have the username and password of the PPPoE session.
    - And then most providers limit, so you can only establish one pppoe session across the network.

Sorry ... we're past analogue times.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It's not. Because first of all,
    - you've got the configuration in the ONT. And ONT can not be moved to another OLT without configuration.
    - Then you have the username and password of the PPPoE session.
    - And then most providers limit, so you can only establish one pppoe session across the network.

Sorry ... we're past analogue times.

/M

I use two presently (eir ADSL) .... do eir allow two on FTTH?

• Advertisement

I use two presently (eir ADSL) .... do eir allow two on FTTH?

Two pppoe sessions with different username and password on the same line ? (possibly)

Or two pppoe sessions using the same username and password, on two different lines ? (unlikely, unless they don't care)

Whatever goes on ADSL with Eir, will most likely also be possible on the FTTH platform. The backend isn't really different.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement