Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

And when you are 4200 metres away from the exchange?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

sean72 wrote: »
    Well the news just gets worse in my FTTH/C story. A neighbour who is closer to the cabinet than me (200m versus my 450m) tells me shes getting 27mb/s. I thought that 30mb/s was the minimum to even be part of this rollout.

So the trundle downhill from my 1000mb excitement, to 100mb, to up to 50mb, has now reached a new 'low' literally.

My install is next week
    I didn’t ask my neighbour if they gotten the Eir TV box as part of her package. I think she did mention she was interested in this before though. If she has Eir TV don’t they dedicate some bandwidth to these boxes?

There's something bringing that cab down. The minimum PSD/freq settings give you a 70Mb service which close premises should make.

Her like is likely a 34Mb line set to 28Mb for stability for TV, a requirement. When each STB is on it allocates 4-8Mb for itself so you take that away from the stable profile. That means a 50Mb line can become 40Mb -4, -4 ,-4 giving a final 28Mb for internet use in the most extreme cases.
    Ultimanemo wrote: »
    And when you are 4200 metres away from the exchange?

ADSL2+ instead. 24Mb at 0m, 0.5Mb at 5km, 2 or 3 at 4km.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

ED E wrote: »

My brother is on ADSL2+, line length 4.4+ kms, modem syncs at just over 7 Mbps, consistent 5-6 Mbps since the exchange went NGA.

The Cush wrote: »
    My brother is on ADSL2+, line length 4.4+ kms, modem syncs at just over 7 Mbps, consistent 5-6 Mbps since the exchange went NGA.

It varies a lot at those ranges. Parts of north Galway with weird routing but no homes at all syncing at 8.2km! But its not normal so I give conservative estimates. Especially when the copper network needs TLC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

There's something bringing that cab down. The minimum PSD/freq settings give you a 70Mb service which close premises should make.

Her like is likely a 34Mb line set to 28Mb for stability for TV, a requirement. When each STB is on it allocates 4-8Mb for itself so you take that away from the stable profile. That means a 50Mb line can become 40Mb -4, -4 ,-4 giving a final 28Mb for internet use in the most extreme cases.

Thanks a million for the detailed explanation. Can I ask one final question. As I did not order Eir TV I imagine that I can get higher speed as I won’t have bandwidth set aside.

It varies a lot at those ranges. Parts of north Galway with weird routing but no homes at all syncing at 8.2km! But its not normal so I give conservative estimates. Especially when the copper network needs TLC.

Just a quick question on line distance measurement, an open eir technician at our house carrying out a line repair last year measured the line distance at 4483m with a handheld meter, how accurate is such a measurement and can this vary with line noise, bad connections etc.?

Thanks a million for the detailed explanation. Can I ask one final question. As I did not order Eir TV I imagine that I can get higher speed as I won’t have bandwidth set aside.

I'd expect both of you to get higher speeds. It may just be a case of the neighbour having useless bell wire inside the house.

Best bet is let them install and test it, if its very low ask the tech should you not get more and to please check it. Often enough they disconnect old cabling while fitting and vastly improve figures (the limit cant be raised until a new test is done though).
    The Cush wrote: »
    Just a quick question on line distance measurement, an open eir technician at our house carrying out a line repair last year measured the line distance at 4483m with a handheld meter, how accurate is such a measurement and can this vary with line noise, bad connections etc.?

The numbers we look at on here are signal based (attenuation, SNRM, etc) and can be way out of whack but depending on what kit he's using he's doing POTS testing with the MTAU board in the exchange. That tests line capacitance (don't ask me to explain exactly what that is, thats for the electrical engineers) but its on the lower level of voltage/resistance over the loop. So if you put a DSL filter in the wrong place you'll get 63.5dB attenuation as it kills the signal but the capacitance will still show the correct length (say 1km instead of 5+).

Those test are really on fooled by breaks (value will be too low) or bad joints where it may read a little high. They're also based on entirely uniform cabling which in a network with 30yo cabling and new stuff isnt 100% accurate but I'd call it so close as it doesnt matter.

Update: Capacitance is measured on both legs too so the tech can tell if its nicked say half way down one leg if he's awake.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Thank you all for the replies

The numbers we look at on here are signal based (attenuation, SNRM, etc) and can be way out of whack but depending on what kit he's using he's doing POTS testing with the MTAU board in the exchange. That tests line capacitance (don't ask me to explain exactly what that is, thats for the electrical engineers) but its on the lower level of voltage/resistance over the loop. So if you put a DSL filter in the wrong place you'll get 63.5dB attenuation as it kills the signal but the capacitance will still show the correct length (say 1km instead of 5+).

Those test are really on fooled by breaks (value will be too low) or bad joints where it may read a little high. They're also based on entirely uniform cabling which in a network with 30yo cabling and new stuff isnt 100% accurate but I'd call it so close as it doesnt matter.

Update: Capacitance is measured on both legs too so the tech can tell if its nicked say half way down one leg if he's awake.

Great reply, thanks. A repository of knowledge as always.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Many devices out there that can replace the F2000 completely so

Just becase a device has a gigabit Wan port doesn't mean it can NAT at gigabit speeds

^ Very true, of late we've had two posters buy expensive higher end hardware and had problems with just that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

^ Very true, of late we've had two posters buy expensive higher end hardware and had problems with just that.

Would be great to see the devices which had problems listed like the FTTC alt. devices are, a quick look at my current device running (Asus RT-AC3200) tomato with a gig WAN port and supports 802.1q/VLAN setting on that port. Fingers crossed :)

Update/timeline of works on my road (local road off regional road);
    07-06-2017 - Ground works completed, blow tubes at start of each local road
    30-10-2017 - KN vans out cutting trees around overhead cable routes between poles on local fiber routes
    14-11-2017 - KN vans out, starting to cable between poles on road
    15-11-2017 - Cabling strung and the large splice boxes are up on the poles. Splicing most likely not done but hopefully in the coming days

'Live' date is March'18 so say the fibrepower@openeir.ie folks but the OpenEir site says second half of 2017 , so I won't hold my breath. Haven't checked to see if the 'D' poles have been replaced or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,121 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

We are down for spring 2017. I am not aware that even ground works have ever been done, so spring 2018 is probably more like it going by that timeline. All a bit weird as poles were replaced many months ago and nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

cnocbui wrote: »
    We are down for spring 2017. I am not aware that even ground works have ever been done, so spring 2018 is probably more like it going by that timeline. All a bit weird as poles were replaced many months ago and nothing since.

My area down for Winter 2018 - nothing has been done not even a slanty pole replaced. Does that mean 2019? The rollout seems to be very much behind as Navi mentioned earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

turbbo wrote: »
    My area down for Winter 2018 - nothing has been done not even a slanty pole replaced. Does that mean 2019? The rollout seems to be very much behind as Navi mentioned earlier.

My area was down for Winter 2017. On last map update was changed to Winter2017/Spring2018. About 4 weeks noticed a bit of work going on around the underground ducts. In last fortnight ducting has appeared out of all the undergrounds ready to have the fibre fed through.

All the polls where splitters are going to be have little 'post it notes' nailed to them with the splitter details.

433633.jpg

They will hardly last the whole winter on the poles, so hoping that means they will be along pretty soon to string the fibre on put up the splitters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

ads20101 wrote: »
    Hi chaps /chapesses in the know...

My house is down for Autumn / Winter 17 ftth.

The KN lads started digging holes and popping the lovely fibre through from last Thursday.

They have been working over the w/e and they are currently digging a hole only a few yards from my house.

So, what I am asking is, from your experience, how long does it take from the hole digging bit to allowing orders to be processed?

Ta

Well they dug a hole, went away....

and then yesterday evening they returned!!

This time to dig a far bigger hole in exactly the last place they dug.

They are still here nearly 24hrs later.

Its a tad tricky getting in and out of my drive but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Just becase a device has a gigabit Wan port doesn't mean it can NAT at gigabit speeds
    KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Would be great to see the devices which had problems listed like the FTTC alt. devices are, a quick look at my current device running (Asus RT-AC3200) tomato with a gig WAN port and supports 802.1q/VLAN setting on that port. Fingers crossed :)

With SIRO, the providers actually have to prove during lab-test before deploying services, that they can provide the speeds they want to provide, using "a" router they use.

Serious providers would have tested the whole range of routers they have.

The Fritz!Box 7560 does Gbit/s speeds, without problems.

As SIRO and OpenEIR use the same FTTH platform, that gives a good idea and is comparable.

There are some of the devices out there, while having Gbit/s ports, that don't have the CPU power to pass Gbit/s speeds.

The Gbit/s port only means, it can pass more than 100 Mbit/s. It doesn't mean it can route Gbit/s at wire speed.

Give you an idea about some more complex router, that some businesses could use:
    Routerboard hAP ac = max 350 Mbit/s
    Routerboard 2011UiAS = max 600 Mbit/s
    Routerboard 1100AHx4 = Gbit/s and up.

These are fairly complex routers and in the same price range (or more) than for example the Fritz!Box 7560. But they first 2 are not geared for full Gbit/s routed/nat'd. Just examples, that I've tested first hand.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

I was able to place an order back in Aug using my eircode but nothing came of that, no big shock really as nothing was actually connected up.

Kn were back a few weeks ago doing some final tests and told me it would be live from the first week in Nov.

So, tuesday i ordered online, the €50/month for 12 months 150mb package.

Wed morning i get the confirmation email with my costs set out as €56 for the first 6 months and then €81 for the next 6 months.

You really couldn't make this sh1t up.

40 mins on the phone and i am told it is all sorted and i will get a new confirmation email with the revised charges stated for the 12month contract.

No email last night.

I did get an installation date though for next Thursday morning.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Just a report from the Inch St. Lawernce exchange which serves Caherconlish and Ballyneety Co. Limerick. Since the trunk Fibre line coming my direction from the exchange became live in early October there are 13 connections out of a possible 25 premises. The uptake is about 1 out of every 2 premises. The last install I know of that happened on my road is my sister's house last Wednesday week the 8th. Looking around the other roads within my own exchange area and some other nearby areas I only can detect a connection out of every 4 or 5 premises. Can anyone on this forum that have ftth in your area what the uptake is like?

I was up in Hospital village Co. Limerick earlier in the week. I can report that there are works going on with the rollout of ftth to the exchange area. There was a coil of cable tied up to a pole just out on the Emly and Tipperary road. First connections are due Winter/Spring 18.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Just a report from the Inch St. Lawernce exchange which serves Caherconlish and Ballyneety Co. Limerick. Since the trunk Fibre line coming my direction from the exchange became live in early October there are 13 connections out of a possible 25 premises. The uptake is about 1 out of every 2 premises. The last install I know of that happened on my road is my sister's house last Wednesday week the 8th. Looking around the other roads within my own exchange area and some other nearby areas I only can detect a connection out of every 4 or 5 premises. Can anyone on this forum that have ftth in your area what the uptake is like?
    Similar uptake (i am not far from the areas you mentioned) Out of the 6 houses in the vicinity, only 3 connected. But possibly not everyone knows about ftth as nobody ever landed on my door step to inform it was available and no leaflets in the post.

Btw, got connected to Digiweb. No tweaking of my own equipment was needed. Macbook is getting 150mbit/s from the FritzBox (wired) and sometimes even more despite being on 150 package. WiFI coverage better. No DNS changes were needed (my Xiaomi refused to work unless DNS was changed while using Eir)

Slightly higher take uo around here, about 6 in 10, but those who haven't taken it are mostly elderly and have no interest in being connected at all and have no IT kit at all, some may still be on DSL and have no interest in upgrading as it's fast enough for what they want.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Slightly higher take uo around here, about 6 in 10, but those who haven't taken it are mostly elderly and have no interest in being connected at all and have no IT kit at all, some may still be on DSL and have no interest in upgrading as it's fast enough for what they want.

about half the houses in my area has FTTH now. One of my neighbours are an eldary couple, they currently have Vodafone 8 meg DSL and a mobile pay as you go plan with 30gb of data per month. They have no interest in FTTH as it's far too expensive for them and they are even thinking of getting rid of the landline/broadband as they are more than happy with their pay as you go mobile broadband and don't get anywhere near their allocated 30gb of data per month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Gonzo wrote: »
    about half the houses in my area has FTTH now. One of my neighbours are an eldary couple, they currently have Vodafone 8 meg DSL and a mobile pay as you go plan with 30gb of data per month. They have no interest in FTTH as it's far too expensive for them and they are even thinking of getting rid of the landline/broadband as they are more than happy with their pay as you go mobile broadband and don't get anywhere near their allocated 30gb of data per month.

Nearly thinking that myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

I think there the take up rate is around 20% to date for the 100,000 or so premises passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

50% uptake is a planner's wet dream. Where did the 20% of the first 100K figure come from? TBH even that is good, considering apathy, people in contacts, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

9726_9726 wrote: »
    50% uptake is a planner's wet dream. Where did the 20% of the first 100K figure come from? TBH even that is good, considering apathy, people in contacts, etc.
    Comreg has 19,125 FTTH connections at end June '17, but that includes SIRO and Eir's town FTTH project.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Has anyone run into a similar issue like this?

Both fibrerollout and eir's website says FTTH is available at my address, however when navigating to purchase a package on eir's website, it still says FTTH is available at my address, but it presents my 3 identical 24mb packages for 76 euro per month. Seems like something is pretty wrong here.

Call them, ordering from the site is asking for trouble.

I posted about the take up on my road yesterday at just over 1 house out of every 2 on ftth. It was partly as a result of a good sales drive that started in mid September and continued up til about a month ago. I had 2 or 3 visits from Eir sales staff plus a mail drop from the postman informing of the availability of fibre. It seems that the ordinary person in the street don't notice any changes on
    the telephone poles. The local national school just down my road has yet to connect to it. And to a more substantial national school elsewhere in my exchange area where fibre is passing isn't on it either.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Jpmarn wrote: »
    And to a more substantial national school elsewhere in my exchange area where fibre is passing isn't on it either.

I think I've mentioned this before, but: the primary schools are in contract with their existing providers, and probably won't get a fibre connection until those contracts go out to tender again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Everything has been in place here for months now and still no sign of it going live, there was a rep around a few weeks back he said it should be live before Christmas but I can't see it, he didn't call here so I have no more info,

West of Kildare town here,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 297 ✭✭Bus Boy

We had Eir out last year after being told that if we got a landline in we would be able to avail of Eir's Broadband. When the engineer arrived out he said that as we were 6km's outside of the town of Ennsicrone and the line wouldn't support it. Does anyone know if this has changed of late as I don't want to waste mine and Eir's time again. The other Broadband options aren't available to us as the house is surrounded by trees.

Thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Rural fibre bb speed very bad all day. Anyone else have this broblem?

garroff wrote: »
    I had some sluggishness a couple of hours ago.
    Could be a core ISP issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Bus Boy wrote: »
    We had Eir out last year after being told that if we got a landline in we would be able to avail of Eir's Broadband. When the engineer arrived out he said that as we were 6km's outside of the town of Ennsicrone and the line wouldn't support it. Does anyone know if this has changed of late as I don't want to waste mine and Eir's time again. The other Broadband options aren't available to us as the house is surrounded by trees.

Thanks in advance.

Enter your Eircode on the following two pages and post the results:

http://fibrerollout.ie (Check 300k)

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/high-speed-broadband-map/Pages/Interactive-Map.aspx

Many Thanks navi. Unfortunately you have to have a phone line for the first linky to work However, when I checked your second link it said we are in the 'Amber Area' - which are the target areas for the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan. So i guess we will have to live in the dark age for a little while longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Many Thanks navi. Unfortunately you have to have a phone line for the first linky to work However, when I checked your second link it said we are in the 'Amber Area' - which are the target areas for the State Intervention of the National Broadband Plan. So i guess we will have to live in the dark age for a little while longer.

At the first link select "Check Rural 300k" and then enter your eircode in the new page.

Thanks @Johnboy1951, typical, we are right inbetween ‘Rural Fibre Routes’, answers my question :-(

• Advertisement

Yes unfortunately you are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

garroff wrote: »
    Have had similar issues in rural Galway, with sluggishness and dropouts on my 150mb FTTH package. Contacted Digiweb, who were good to deal with. They say the network operators Openeir are trying to figure out what is causing the packet loss that is the source of the problem (it's not just me who is having unstable connections). Digiweb put me in contact with their level 2 tech guy, who was very apologetic, and immediately gave me one months credit. They are dependent on Openeir, so I understand their position. If I was dealing with Eir, I would still be on hold with that awful muzak buzzing in my ear

Thanks for the info Banjopeter. Unfortunately I now have call Eir for an update.Bet they'll say the fault is on my end!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

fme wrote: »
    Have signed up for phone and broadband (Dual Play - Anytime) for what they said was 63 per month for 150Mb (actually 50pm for 6months and 76pm after that), with a 50e cashback. I resisted switching the TV from Sky, although they are offering a free (non-brand) 10" tablet for doing that.
    As there is also a cooling off period from install date, I'm wondering is this the best deal I can get..?
    Install date set for 22 Nov
    Did you get any updates on your order at all? Curious if anybody on the Tara exchange has an order going through the eir system smoothly!

hmboards wrote: »
    Did you get any updates on your order at all? Curious if anybody on the Tara exchange has an order going through the eir system smoothly!

Tara was pushed back in the latest map update. It had been due to go live on Nov 8th but now states Winter 2017/2018 so there most likely has been some holdup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Tara was pushed back in the latest map update. It had been due to go live on Nov 8th but now states Winter 2017/2018 so there most likely has been some holdup.
    Thanks Allison Puny Appetite. They have some of the houses on the exchange marked as live though in the latest map.

• Advertisement

Thanks navi. They have some of the houses on the exchange marked as live though in the latest map.

That is strange. It's hard to know what to believe when on one hand you have someone publishing a delayed deadline and presumably someone else from the same organisation colouring houses as live in the same map update.

Rang Eir re very poor Fibre speeds. Told my Router is faulty. Going to post me a new one. Bet my router is not faulty. I could wall paper my room with Eir routers, gathered over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Anyone have any updates on the Nenagh exchange in Tipp? Originally due for Q2-17 but was subsequently pushed to Q4-17 / Q1-18 (email says that) Map has 15 houses in green as live out the road closest to exchange but still says live on 02 aug even after latest update? Very little progress made on one of the 66 towns that was supposed to be live fadó fadó.... Those 15 houses are live but currently aren't listed on the google docs spreadsheet :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I think I've mentioned this before, but: the primary schools are in contract with their existing providers, and probably won't get a fibre connection until those contracts go out to tender again.

Any primary school wishing to switch to ftth must apply to the PDST.

They recently had a mini tender for the schools who had applied and they are in the process of rolling these out now. Unless the school also gets them to replace the CISCO VPN routers with the Junipers they are now using the VPN tunnel throughput will be limited to around 30 Mbit as that is all the CISCOs can push through the tunnel.

I might do a bit of work in this area.... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Anyone have any updates on the Nenagh exchange in Tipp? Originally due for Q2-17 but was subsequently pushed to Q4-17 / Q1-18 (email says that) Map has 15 houses in green as live out the road closest to exchange but still says live on 02 aug even after latest update? Very little progress made on one of the 66 towns that was supposed to be live fadó fadó.... Those 15 houses are live but currently aren't listed on the google docs spreadsheet :)

Same boat here: Contractors are currently laying cables out the Old N7 near Liffey Mills, and extra markings on Poles in the last week on my road. have been talking to some OpenEir and KN folk and they think it will be out these ends in a few months even though it says Oct - Dec on Eir Site for me, but they are unsure.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement