Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Anyone have any updates on the Nenagh exchange in Tipp? Originally due for Q2-17 but was subsequently pushed to Q4-17 / Q1-18 (email says that) Map has 15 houses in green as live out the road closest to exchange but still says live on 02 aug even after latest update? Very little progress made on one of the 66 towns that was supposed to be live fadó fadó.... Those 15 houses are live but currently aren't listed on the google docs spreadsheet :)

Tipp seems to be well behind...

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

Ambitious to say the least 622 passed in a year and a half - 14922 to be done by eoy 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Rang Eir re very poor Fibre speeds. Told my Router is faulty. Going to post me a new one. Bet my router is not faulty. I could wall paper my room with Eir routers, gathered over the years.

Update: got the new router today....connected it. No difference in speed.....no surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

banjopeter wrote: »
    Have had similar issues in rural Galway, with sluggishness and dropouts on my 150mb FTTH package. Contacted Digiweb, who were good to deal with. They say the network operators Openeir are trying to figure out what is causing the packet loss that is the source of the problem (it's not just me who is having unstable connections). Digiweb put me in contact with their level 2 tech guy, who was very apologetic, and immediately gave me one months credit. They are dependent on Openeir, so I understand their position. If I was dealing with Eir, I would still be on hold with that awful muzak buzzing in my ear

I am also in rural Co. Galway (Turloughmore) and I have noticed dropouts and sluggish performance from my FTTH over the last couple of days. It was worst on Sunday. Glad to hear that it is a general network issue (not my fault) and Openeir are on the case.

It does seem to have improved a good bit today, so fingers crossed...

When I contacted technical support they seemed to know nothing about the national problem. Sent me a new router that made absolutely no difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

What sort of symptoms are you both seeing? Is it just bad speeds (how bad) or are there other issues like packet loss etc?

What sort of symptoms are you both seeing? Is it just bad speeds (how bad) or are there other issues like packet loss etc?
    I'm contracted for 300Mbps. Getting
    90 since weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

garroff wrote: »
    I'm contracted for 300Mbps. Getting
    90 since weekend.

90 Sounds suspiciously like a 10/100, have you ruled that out?

ED E wrote: »
    90 Sounds suspiciously like a 10/100, have you ruled that out?

Will get that checked tomorrow. Let you know the result. Thanks for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

The ftth rollout is complete in the dundrum,co tipp area (so the engineers have told me)

My local TD has told me that the product will be available to order/purchase in 2/3 weeks.
    People have told me that they are scheduled for install this week but yet, when I ring eir, they claim to have no knowledge or info on when it will go live.

Can anyone from the dundrum/knockavillla area post here and let me know if you have a different exp ?

Eir customer services seem to have zero info on the whole thing....what’s people’s opinion on this ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭long_b

Sorry to jump in here but I've a REALLY basic question. For people who signed up for eir talk as part of their FTTH package..
    (a) is it live year and
    (b) do Eir just send you out a plug and play VOIP handset?

• Advertisement

long_b wrote: »
    Sorry to jump in here but I've a REALLY basic question. For people who signed up for eir talk as part of their FTTH package..
    (a) is it live year and
    (b) do Eir just send you out a plug and play VOIP handset?

It's live.

The F2000 acts as an ATA and you simply plug your current analog phone into the phone port on the back of the router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

Well my install moved quick in the end. I was told this Thursday the 23rd but got a cancellation and had broadband installed on Saturday. Although I am only getting FTTC and 50mb down and 15mb/s up I am actually happy enough as it seems consistent.

However my father in law who had his install a week before me is finding the wireless from his F2000 very weak. I am wondering can anyone recommend

A) An alternative router to the F2000 (a name/model would be great)
    B) know where to find the correct Eir settings to ensure it works?

Thanks

I have an Asus rt ac88u router on order. Will let you know what it is like when connected. If you check my posts this week you will see my speed had collapsed. Eir tech support sent me a replacement router. It made no difference when connected. Reconnected old router.
    When I checked this morning speed back up to 220Mbps from 80.

I have an Asus rt ac88u router on order. Will let you know what it is like when connected. If you check my posts this week you will see my speed had collapsed. Eir tech support sent me a replacement router. It made no difference when connected. Reconnected old router.
    When I checked this morning speed back up to 220Mbps from 80.

I have an airport extreme that I have set up in bridge mode to extend my wireless and it seems to be working but the father in law is having significant drops in speed even through his plaster board walls.

He certainly does and I think I will want to upgrade the Eir router so it would be great if there was an alternative router and a walkthrough from someone whos done it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

sean72 wrote: »
    I have an airport extreme that I have set up in bridge mode to extend my wireless and it seems to be working but the father in law is having significant drops in speed even through his plaster board walls.

He certainly does and I think I will want to upgrade the Eir router so it would be great if there was an alternative router and a walkthrough from someone whos done it.

In some cases the plasterboard used is lined with 'foil' which will have detrimental effects on signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Shyboy

Well, I was finding most webpages were either loading very slowly or I was getting the "webpage cannot be found" error with the yellow symbol in the network icon at the bottom of the screen.

I have 1000MB FTTH hardwired. It have two routers, Eir F2000 and a netgear, I tried both to rule that out, and no difference...

It does seem to be much better today...

In some cases the plasterboard used is lined with 'foil' which will have detrimental effects on signal.

Nope its just normal plasterboard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

https://www.dccae.gov.ie/en-ie/communications/topics/Broadband/national-broadband-plan/commercial-investment/Pages/Rural-Deployment-Progress.aspx

Ambitious to say the least 622 passed in a year and a half - 14922 to be done by eoy 2018.
    What a load of rubbish, "passed" mans f. all. The % look highly suspicious, the same, more or less every period.... ye believe that, no variation for the locations, big one v small ones??

BarryM wrote: »

What a load of rubbish, "passed" mans f. all. The % look highly suspicious, the same, more or less every period.... ye believe that, no variation for the locations, big one v small ones??

The numbers come from the table below the pie chart and they are broken down via county. Not sure what else you want?
    It's shows Eir to have a lot of work to do in 2018 - which seems to add up with what Eir are reporting themselves on the rollout map. For once I'm content that there seems to be some truth in the reporting of progress. As for Tipp - it looks as if it has had the least amount of progress out of the 26.
    Nothing to be happy about but at least the BS has been turned down a few notches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Also as locations get completed next year, manpower will become available for the remaining locations, so there should be a decrease in the time it takes to complete those locations.

I am still hopeful they will complete 80%+ of the promised roll out by end 2018.

Also as locations get completed next year, manpower will become available for the remaining locations, so there should be a decrease in the time it takes to complete those locations.

I am still hopeful they will complete 80%+ of the promised roll out by end 2018.

Hmm pretty sure it will slow down next year - as they've taken the larger areas first, which means higher density and less planning and moving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭Homer

We are on an area of the map that had been marked as commercially unviable but in the past week or two I noticed some work going on about 100 yards down the road and then this has appeared which I am presuming is something to do with telephone/broadband? Anyone shed any more light on it? I’ve seen a number of these around north county Dublin in the last month.

2_EBCE530_0_FC2_42_C9_8_C9_D_6406_C6_F6_E45_E.jpg

Homer wrote: »
    We are on an area of the map that had been marked as commercially unviable but in the past week or two I noticed some work going on about 100 yards down the road and then this has appeared which I am presuming is something to do with telephone/broadband? Anyone shed any more light on it? I’ve seen a number of these around north county Dublin in the last month.

It is duct that is used for blowing fibre optic cable through using compressed air.

It is duct that is used for blowing fibre optic cable through using compressed air.

Interesting, would that mean that there is a possibility of fibre along that stretch of road or maybe they are future proofing for a later date? As far as I can see on the local council planning website there is no developments scheduled in the area and it is really just one of housing along the stretch of road!

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

turbbo wrote: »
    Hmm pretty sure it will slow down next year - as they've taken the larger areas first, which means higher density and less planning and moving.

I wouldn't necessarily agree. So far in Mayo they've done a fair bit of work around Westport (which would tie in with your theory) but also around Belmullet and even out as far as Barnatra and Pullathomas, and the Erris region is one of the least densely populated in the country.

• Advertisement

Interesting, would that mean that there is a possibility of fibre along that stretch of road or maybe they are future proofing for a later date? As far as I can see on the local council planning website there is no developments scheduled in the area and it is really just one of housing along the stretch of road!

Most likely they are going to put fibre through it if they've gone to the trouble of installing the duct. I assume from what you've already said that the pictured pole is not on a "yellow line route" on the Openeir map

http://www.openeir.ie/Our_Network/#nga-map

If the pole is not on a yellow line approximately what distance is it from the closest yellow line on the map?

You will see from the map below where I have marked a red dot is the location of the cable. There is a yellow line on the same road but approximately 1km further up the road.

A353_F8_AF_EA0_A_4_D6_A_907_F_A0_DCEEAE4_C32.jpg

You will see from the map below where I have marked a red dot is the location of the cable. There is a yellow line on the same road but approximately 1km further up the road.

A353_F8_AF_EA0_A_4_D6_A_907_F_A0_DCEEAE4_C32.jpg

There is definitely scope for them to extend the line in certain cases. I have seen it myself where they have built out further than was planned on the map. I would be relatively optimistic that this would be the case here as I can't see why they would install the duct otherwise. Keep an eye out for further work in the area and if you can ask a KN or Openeir worker they should be able to confirm it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I think this thing is erected by eir for customers who are very closed to FTTH but they are in the amber area, The message is: If you are so upset about it, you can hang yourself here.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I wouldn't necessarily agree. So far in Mayo they've done a fair bit of work around Westport (which would tie in with your theory) but also around Belmullet and even out as far as Barnatra and Pullathomas, and the Erris region is one of the least densely populated in the country.

Interesting - definitely here in the Limerick/Clare/Galway area they have gone for the larger exchange areas that have no other realistic internet services outside of dsl. I would expect that to be a more profitable strategy, why rollout to the smaller exchange areas first? But as you point out they have done. So in that case I would at best expect the speed of the rollout to be maintained at what it has been since it started, definitely don't see it speeding up towards the end anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

oleras wrote: »
    I was able to place an order back in Aug using my eircode but nothing came of that, no big shock really as nothing was actually connected up.

Kn were back a few weeks ago doing some final tests and told me it would be live from the first week in Nov.

So, tuesday i ordered online, the €50/month for 12 months 150mb package.

Wed morning i get the confirmation email with my costs set out as €56 for the first 6 months and then €81 for the next 6 months.

You really couldn't make this sh1t up.

40 mins on the phone and i am told it is all sorted and i will get a new confirmation email with the revised charges stated for the 12month contract.

No email last night.

I did get an installation date though for next Thursday morning.

Slowly slowly catchy monkey.

Not exactly off to the best start.
    Hi oleras, we have booked your eir fibre broadband installation appointment

Date: 23 November

To start between: 9am and 1:30pm

No call from the installer yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Not strictly OpenEir FTTH sorry! But sky have chosen to partner with SIRO’s network

https://siro.ie/siro-sky-partnership/

Interesting the article says SIRO has over 110,000 premises passed. Is this true? Or are they taking a card from OpenEir’s suit...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

Not strictly OpenEir FTTH sorry! But sky have chosen to partner with SIRO’s network

Interesting the article says SIRO has over 110,000 premises passed. Is this true? Or are they taking a card from OpenEir’s suit...

So, sky aren't interested in providing a fibre service to most of the country...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

ads20101 wrote: »
    So, sky aren't interested in providing a fibre service to most of the country...

It doesn't say they are only partnering with SIRO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

It doesn't say they are only partnering with SIRO

Granted,

However....

Why announce a partnership if you're not going to make it exclusive?

If they were to also sign with openeir too, then surely they would just say that they are providing FTTH to their customer base.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭Stephen Strange

ads20101 wrote: »
    Granted,

However....

Why announce a partnership if you're not going to make it exclusive?

If they were to also sign with openeir too, then surely they would just say that they are providing FTTH to their customer base.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.irishtimes.com/business/technology/bt-ireland-signs-major-broadband-deal-with-sky-ireland-1.3240977%3fmode=amp

If SKY decide to supply FTTH customer across all of the country this will put a lot of pressure on Eir. EIR customer service will have to improve, at the moment it is appalling, and it will have to be more competitive on pricing.
    I would welcome Sky to the rural market.

If SKY decide to supply FTTH customer across all of the country this will put a lot of pressure on Eir. EIR customer service will have to improve, at the moment it is appalling, and it will have to be more competitive on pricing.
    I would welcome Sky to the rural market.

Eir don't give a hoot they're making their money on the wholesale side - open eir.
    Wouldn't be surprised if Eir disappeared - I'm guessing peoples lack of imagination when signing up makes them easy money, until such time people shop around Eir will still exist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I'm waiting for Sky to offer FTTH on OpenEir's network, once that happen's I'll switch from Eir providing Sky will be offering a truly unlimited service. It will be a great sigh of relief moving from 1tb per month to unlimited. It's just not right to have such a small data allowance on a FTTH service.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Sky to offer FTTH on OpenEir's network, once that happen's I'll switch from Eir providing Sky will be offering a truly unlimited service. It will be a great sigh of relief moving from 1tb per month to unlimited. It's just not right to have such a small data allowance on a FTTH service.
    Me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Gonzo wrote: »
    I'm waiting for Sky to offer FTTH on OpenEir's network...
    Is this likely to happen?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Is this likely to happen?

most likely at some point over the next 12-18 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Has there been any consensus as to who would be the best provider to go with?

Eir, free install but charge over the 1TB cap. Dodgy support/customer service. Poor router.
    Digiweb, charge for install but no charge for exceeding 1TB cap. Better router.
    Net1, 2TB cap but long contract.

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Has there been any consensus as to who would be the best provider to go with?

Eir, free install but charge over the 1TB cap. Dodgy support/customer service. Poor router.
    Digiweb, charge for install but no charge for exceeding 1TB cap. Better router.
    Net1, 2TB cap but long contract.

Used digiweb in the past and found them to be very good in terms of customer support and service - well that was only as good as my crap line would allow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

oleras wrote: »
    Not exactly off to the best start.

No call from the installer yet.

The usual sh1te from them, " it required a 2 man team". So why not send a 2 man team, considering you didnt even send a 1 man team to asses that it may require 2 , the lies, the constant lies.

Then they said they may have been held up at a previous job, all understandable and reasonable, but considering they told me the initial time was for between 09.00 and 13.30 that also sounds like lies.

But the good news is someone will be with me today to install it...

12.30 on a friday...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

Do anybody know how fix usage on F2000 it say on my eir usage page last usage recording date/time batch would resetting the router fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Totally unrelated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

ED E wrote: »
    Totally unrelated.
    How would I fix it ED E thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

Just spotted hedge trimming on yellow line near Borrisoleigh this afternoon.Think this is first sign of any activity on rollout in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Those 110k homes passed are SIRO only. And those are actual passed homes (eligible for connection and ready to do so).

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement