Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Some KN lads in my estate today, they were putting in either ducting for the fibre or fibre itself into the ducts in the path.......what is usually the process......?

Do they put in the duct for the fibre first, then feed the fibre through it?

I assume it’s a few weeks before it goes live in the system and before they can do the drops to your house.....?

Very exciting, almost there.....!! Wondering if anyone knows the timescales involved....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Someone posted a timeline a few pages back that suggested about 3 months from ducting to live, If I am recalling correctly. Shouldn't take you long to find the post to verify.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Update in Nenagh:
    Splice boxes in place along Birr Rd, out the Borrisokane road some splice boxes up. Puckane road also has splice boxes up. Great to see progress in the area. Early estimates from KN workers suggest complete live exchange may be early 2018.

Update in Coolbawn:
    No cables laid, exchange finally upgraded to NGA. Now 3 dishes connecting to and from the exchange. FTTH due to be live in winter 18.

Update in Toomevara:
    New exchange build being commenced, should be realitively easy build as Toomevara was already one of ESB telecomms POP's (Point of Presence). Live services (presumably only FTTC) due for winter 2017.

Finally Tipperary is getting some much needed love from OpenEir... (about time:rolleyes:)

Couple of Questions:

- When Will Vodafone be allowed offer service over openeir FTTH?

- Will they (vodafone) charge customers a connection fee to get this service?

I ask because Vodafone themselves either can't or won't answer the above definitively!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Nobody here can answer that definitively either.

• Advertisement

d31b0y wrote: »
    Nobody here can answer that definitively either.

Okay, sounds like I need to go with Eir so! Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

I thought Vodafone was partnering up with sirio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 788 ✭✭✭babi-hrse

garroff wrote: »
    Rang Eir re very poor Fibre speeds. Told my Router is faulty. Going to post me a new one. Bet my router is not faulty. I could wall paper my room with Eir routers, gathered over the years.

Sometimes the only way to fix a faulty line is to cut it outside the house then when they do their tests they will see a fault. The engineer who comes to fix it may spot an issue with the line.
    You can get packet loss from a broken leg on a pair. It will lock on and give broadband but it'll be terrible with collisions. If there's an analogue phone line on the same order you'll know for sure if there's no dial tone or heavy crackling or even a double dial tone as if two phone lines were coming down your line because in essence there very well could be. It could be a faulty port but these are only applicable to FTTC or ftte not ftth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Couple of Questions:

- When Will Vodafone be allowed offer service over openeir FTTH?

- Will they (vodafone) charge customers a connection fee to get this service?

I ask because Vodafone themselves either can't or won't answer the above definitively!

Vodafone can retail over open-eir's FTTH network when it chooses to and according to a post here a while ago from someone who contacted them about it they will be doing so from some point next year.
    babi-hrse wrote: »
    I thought Vodafone was partnering up with sirio?

SIRO's wholesale network is a joint venture business between Vodafone and the ESB, they and others retail over the SIRO network, nothing preventing them retailing over other networks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

The Cush wrote: »
    Vodafone can retail over open-eir's FTTH network when it chooses to and according to a post here a while ago from someone who contacted them about it they will be doing so from some point next year.

SIRO's wholesale network is a joint venture business between Vodafone and the ESB, they and others retail over the SIRO network, nothing preventing them retailing over other networks too.

I really hope vodafone get on the network soon. I was with them earlier this year and they were a joy to deal with (compared to Eir anyway) Eir are an absolute disgrace of a company.

I got my FTTH connection last Wednesday. It was extremely slow on Thursday (<1Mbit/s) and was not working at all on Friday. I spent 4 hrs on the phone to them Friday and Saturday trying to get it resolved and I still have no connection. They only just told me today that they assigned the port for the connection to the wrong exchange and that the issue will not be resolved before this wednesday. They keep telling me that a ticket has been raised for the fault and that it takes 48 hrs to resolve a ticket.

Only a company as bad as eir could slow down the speed of light to a snail's pace... >:|

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

OpenEir finally arrived this morning to me after missing an install date last Thursday and Friday.

The guy that came could not have been nicer. The ducting was a no go from the start, too narrow, so i was happy enough for him to attach it to the gable end (bungalow) and he ran it through the attic and dropped it into a bedroom in the middle of the house, where the previous router was.

A little over 2 hours from start to finish.

5GHz wifi speed test below on the phone, the 2.4GHz APN comes in around 60, i need to play around with different channels.

Screenshot_2017-11-27-12-41-30-544_org.zwanoo.an.png

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

oleras wrote: »
    OpenEir finally arrived this morning to me after missing an install date last Thursday and Friday.

The guy that came could not have been nicer. The ducting was a no go from the start, too narrow, so i was happy enough for him to attach it to the gable end (bungalow) and he ran it through the attic and dropped it into a bedroom in the middle of the house, where the previous router was.

A little over 2 hours from start to finish.

5GHz wifi speed test below on the phone, the 2.4GHz APN comes in around 60, i need to play around with different channels.

Screenshot_2017-11-27-12-41-30-544_org.zwanoo.an.png
    What contract are you on...150/300/1000?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

What contract are you on...150/300/1000?

oleras wrote: »

Excellent result

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Is it worth the €200 Digiweb install charge to avoid the poor Eir customer service and router?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Is it worth the €200 Digiweb install charge to avoid the poor Eir customer service and router?
    Having spent 5 months dealing with Eir, I gave up, signed up with Digiweb, and got installed the same week. Great company to deal with, router is fine, so yes, go with Digiweb would be my advice. The router alone will save you grief, and the cost of forking out for a new one, or extenders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Less than a fifth of homes passes have actually been connected to the service.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/only-one-in-five-homes-signs-up-to-rural-fibre-broadband-network-n357s9pl0

People might not know yet, I myself told neighbours about those cable/boxes outside being fibre, and many coworkers were thankful for learning about the fibrerollout.ie site. Hell I myself connected to 1000mbit now (last on blue line) without receiving as much as a leaflet from eir, but by hounding them every week since new black box went on pole outside and workman told me it's fibre.

Eir need to advertise better, hang Internet memes :D on their posts or something

Good point. I know they send salespersons around but outside of that there does not seem to be much promotion. Some people here mentioned getting letters about availability but I am unsure if they are still sending those letters.

Eir does not seem to be interested in advertising FTTH. They have finished the fibre in my area and not a notice on the road and an article in the local paper. Local information is non existing and unless you meet the installer on the road the info you get is inaccurate.
    Also is it the third highest priced in the world?.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Eir does not seem to be interested in advertising FTTH. They have finished the fibre in my area and not a notice on the road and an article in the local paper. Local information is non existing and unless you meet the installer on the road the info you get is inaccurate.
    Also is it the third highest priced in the world?.
    True, they are more interested in completing the 300K project than getting people connected as they have to finish it within a time frame.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    True, they are more interested in completing the 300K project than getting people connected as they have to finish it within a time frame.

That seems like a reasonable application of scarce manpower ;)

When nearing completion they will have the manpower to do the connections/installations (or they might have to get more if they win the NBP tenders :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

In fairness, they do show up at the ploughing championships to lets the country people of Ireland (and NewsTalk) know whats going on :) thats prob 50% of their marketing budget

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Completing the 300k project: open eir.

Getting people connected: eir retail (and others).

Different businesses, different interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Completing the 300k project: open eir.

Getting people connected: eir retail (and others).

Different businesses, different interests.
    I don't know any company other than eir has the privilege to use FTTH network

I don't know any company other than eir has the privilege to use FTTH network
    Digiweb and about 5 others. There is a list available.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

Anybody know timeline involved for fibre instillation to household from hedge cutting phase which has been completed locally in recent days?

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

All the cabling is done here in dundrum ,co tipp and all the splicing too. EveryThing is in place but it seems that eir are only turning on fibre services on a road by road basis......is this normal ?
    I can see the roads out of dundrum that are live but th road my village is on (knockavilla) isn’t live yet.

I believe that it will be turned up around mid December but eir simply won’t provide ANY info and I’ve been ringing them almost on a weekly basis asking.

Strange thing too is that when u meet the eir guys at the exchange or on the road, they play dumb which is really pissing me off.

How can I find out when I can order fibre ?

thehorse wrote: »
    All the cabling is done here in dundrum ,co tipp and all the splicing too. EveryThing is in place but it seems that eir are only turning on fibre services on a road by road basis......is this normal ?
    I can see the roads out of dundrum that are live but th road my village is on (knockavilla) isn’t live yet.

I believe that it will be turned up around mid December but eir simply won’t provide ANY info and I’ve been ringing them almost on a weekly basis asking.

Strange thing too is that when u meet the eir guys at the exchange or on the road, they play dumb which is really pissing me off.

How can I find out when I can order fibre ?

Yes it is normal. That is how they operate. Keep checking the eir retail site daily is your only realistic option.

• Advertisement

Yes it is normal. That is how they operate. Keep checking the eir retail site daily is your only realistic option.

To be honest, it’s extremely annoying as eir customer service seem to know absolutely nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,747 ✭✭✭niallb

Passatb7 wrote: »
    Anybody know timeline involved for fibre instillation to household from hedge cutting phase which has been completed locally in recent days?
    They started cutting our hedges around April 2016 and we're still waiting...:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

ctlsleh wrote: »
    Some KN lads in my estate today, they were putting in either ducting for the fibre or fibre itself into the ducts in the path.......what is usually the process......?

Do they put in the duct for the fibre first, then feed the fibre through it?

I assume it’s a few weeks before it goes live in the system and before they can do the drops to your house.....?

Very exciting, almost there.....!! Wondering if anyone knows the timescales involved....?

Seems that was SIRO and not (Open)Eir's FTTH

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

Got 1000mb FTTH installed today, took about 3 or 4 hours for the installation to complete and I'm thrilled with the result, it was worth waiting for.

unknown.png

kn2k10 wrote: »
    Got 1000mb FTTH installed today, took about 3 or 4 hours for the installation to complete and I'm thrilled with the result, it was worth waiting for.

unknown.png

You lucky sod...

I would have thought that the 1gb option would be giving a faster download seeing as its end to end fibre ?

How much is that costing you a month ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭naughto

Is that over wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭kn2k10

You lucky sod...

I would have thought that the 1gb option would be giving a faster download seeing as its end to end fibre ?

How much is that costing you a month ?

It's 101 euro, and yeh the upload is throwing me off a bit.
    naughto wrote: »
    Is that over wifi

Over cat 5e ethernet.

kn2k10 wrote: »
    It's 101 euro, and yeh the upload is throwing me off a bit.

Over cat 5e ethernet.

It’s usually a 10:1 ratio so the upload is about right....I would have expected you’d be getting 900mb+ on download

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Does it matter where in a house the modem etc for FTTH is situated? Looks like our only option is a bedroom at the very gable end of our bungalow.

Will it affect the wifi signal to the room at the other end? Engineer says not - have had 2 'installation' visits so far and will have to wait on a third appointment. Various excuses, most of which have been posted here before.

Hopefully, third time lucky ...

RoYoBo wrote: »
    Does it matter where in a house the modem etc for FTTH is situated? Looks like our only option is a bedroom at the very gable end of our bungalow.

Will it affect the wifi signal to the room at the other end?

Of course! Laws of physics. The further you are from the router, the weaker the signal will be (double the distance: quarter the signal), and walls will attenuate it even more.

Fibre line on Borrisoleigh road from dundrum extends 1.2 km further on from end of yellow line marked on rollout map.Splice boxes also fitted along this extra section.

• Advertisement

Fibre line on Borrisoleigh road from dundrum extends 1.2 km further on from end of yellow line marked on rollout map.Splice boxes also fitted along this extra section.

The only problem might be trying to order it on for those on the extended bit. I've seen it extended to a house, the distribution point is on a pole in the lawn outside the house, the whole area is live yet the premises fails both the fibrerollout and eir retail Eircode checks. I don't know if the occupants have tried to order or if they are even aware of the fibre's existence but I can see where there would be issues.

The ‘borrisoleigh road from dundrum’....which road is that ?

Thurles road

Thurles road

Yes, I know some people living on that road and they’ve been able to order and get fibre.
    I live in Knockavilla and as of yet, it hasn’t been turned on for us

Lot of people would love to be in your position right now just waiting for completed line to be switched live.We have long wait ,spring summer 18 in Borrisoleigh area.Hedge cutting only completed.

Lot of people would love to be in your position right now just waiting for completed line to be switched live.We have long wait ,spring summer 18 in Borrisoleigh area.Hedge cutting only completed.

Yes, I suppose so.
    Most people really want high speed broadband but unfortunately, the contract was handed to eir and as a result, we are all left frustrated wondering when it will finally become available

Yes, I suppose so.
    Most people really want high speed broadband but unfortunately, the contract was handed to eir and as a result, we are all left frustrated wondering when it will finally become available

Eir is really only provider capable of delivering rural fibre on this scale countrywide because of existing infrastructure they control.Regarding time schedules,I will be quite content to wait and wait feeling really privileged just to be included in this rollout .

Eir is really only provider capable of delivering rural fibre on this scale countrywide because of existing infrastructure they control.Regarding time schedules,I will be quite content to wait and wait feeling really privileged just to be included in this rollout .

Totally agree that eir are the only provider capable of the rollout , it’s just a pity how they behave and operate

Changed Eir fibre router today for Asus ac88u, now getting 253Mbps on 300Mbps contract. Happy out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Lads is it a case that some in rural areas are unrealistic with the service they are expecting to get? If its not economically viable for companies to install infrastructure at a huge cost with very little return then why would they?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement