Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Dev84 wrote: »
    Lads is it a case that some in rural areas are unrealistic with the service they are expecting to get? If its not economically viable for companies to install infrastructure at a huge cost with very little return then why would they?

Thats what the "NBP: National Broadband Plan" is for right? To help fund companies bringing a minimum 30Mbps down service to locations which aren't commercially viable for others to bring a service to without government funding

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

did a speedtest earlier and getting strange upload speeds. I normally get 287 download and about 49 upload.

Tonight the uploads start off in the 100s and even off at about 60. Perhaps it's an error.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/f7c4b421-bcee-427b-b66e-06324a201ce1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

garroff wrote: »
    Changed Eir fibre router today for Asus ac88u, now getting 253Mbps on 300Mbps contract. Happy out.

Wireless ? Down the bedroom im "only" getting 50-55 of the 150.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gandie

oleras wrote: »
    Wireless ? Down the bedroom im "only" getting 50-55 of the 150.

I had the Eir f2000, wifi was ok I guess but I needed 2 sets of powerline adapters to get the signal to cover the full house.

After problems with Eir, I switched to digiwebs same 150mb package. They sent me the fritzbox 7560. It's wifi reaches the full house. I'm also getting the full 150mb (no Eir wifi network) and the power line adapters are now turned off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Sick to the back teeth of Imagines miserable 20GB per day LTE allowance and really wanting internet. I have decided to hand in my notice to my landlord and move. The FTTH stopped 300m from this house and it could be years before I get anything that I want. So decided to take matter into my own hands.

What is the best ISP for the Eir FTTH 1000Mbs service? I think Ive seen that Eir onlyhave a 1TB limit, which is pathetic. So are there any who allow more than that? What about install costs etc?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Sick to the back teeth of Imagines miserable 20GB per day LTE allowance and really wanting internet. I have decided to hand in my notice to my landlord and move. The FTTH stopped 300m from this house and it could be years before I get anything that I want. So decided to take matter into my own hands.

What is the best ISP for the Eir FTTH 1000Mbs service? I think Ive seen that Eir onlyhave a 1TB limit, which is pathetic. So are there any who allow more than that? What about install costs etc?

unless you live/moving to County Mayo then your out of luck. Most of the service providers have a 1tb data cap.

Eir, Digiweb and Pure all have a 1tb data allowance. Vodafone will be available from early 2018 but that will probably have a 1tb allowance as well.

If Sky eventually offer their services over OpenEir's FTTH network, then that may be the first provider to be properly unlimited on the network.

With Eir the install costs are free, with Digiweb it is 200 euros.

However the router provided by Digiweb is much better and they give you the full speed of the package. e.g. the 150/30 package hits 150/30 on speedtests, with Eir it hits approx 146/28

Eir's network is probably better for extremely low pings tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Thanks Gonzo.

I will be going for the 1000Mb package. No point not taking it but 1TB means I cant stream in 4k all day like I would if it was truly unlimited.

What is in Mayo that means there is no limit? I can actually move anywhere in the country, so Mayo is certainly not out of the question.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

What is in Mayo that means there is no limit?

Westnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

Gonzo wrote: »
    unless you live/moving to County Mayo then your out of luck. Most of the service providers have a 1tb data cap.

Eir, Digiweb and Pure all have a 1tb data allowance. Vodafone will be available from early 2018 but that will probably have a 1tb allowance as well.

If Sky eventually offer their services over OpenEir's FTTH network, then that may be the first provider to be properly unlimited on the network.

With Eir the install costs are free, with Digiweb it is 200 euros.

However the router provided by Digiweb is much better and they give you the full speed of the package. e.g. the 150/30 package hits 150/30 on speedtests, with Eir it hits approx 146/28

Eir's network is probably better for extremely low pings tho.

Source ? Or speculation ?

As for you speed comparison...LOL

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Two weeks into an eir 300Mb connection. Here is the SamKnows data. I'll split it over two posts as it's 5 attachments max.

The main download shows some variation but the Netflix download which I assume is hitting an Open Connect server in the eir network is much more solid. I guess there might be a peering issue between eir and wherever the SamKnows server is hosted. Overall I am very happy with it and for €4 extra it was a no brainer to switch from Imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

For comparison this is VM's DOCSIS, so slow :pac:
    Date/Time 	Mean	Sample count	Unit count	Minimum	Maximum
    17 Nov 2017, 00:00	17.7 ms	24	1	15.4 ms	19.7 ms
    18 Nov 2017, 00:00	15.9 ms	24	1	13.9 ms	20.3 ms
    19 Nov 2017, 00:00	16.9 ms	24	1	15.5 ms	18.5 ms
    20 Nov 2017, 00:00	17.2 ms	24	1	15.4 ms	23.4 ms
    21 Nov 2017, 00:00	18.5 ms	24	1	15.2 ms	21.8 ms
    22 Nov 2017, 00:00	16.7 ms	24	1	14.9 ms	18.2 ms
    23 Nov 2017, 00:00	15.9 ms	24	1	14.3 ms	18.6 ms
    24 Nov 2017, 00:00	15.0 ms	24	1	13.9 ms	17.6 ms
    25 Nov 2017, 00:00	15.7 ms	24	1	14.2 ms	17.9 ms
    26 Nov 2017, 00:00	17.0 ms	24	1	15.3 ms	19.0 ms
    27 Nov 2017, 00:00	16.4 ms	24	1	14.2 ms	18.4 ms
    28 Nov 2017, 00:00	16.9 ms	24	1	14.9 ms	18.1 ms
    29 Nov 2017, 00:00	17.0 ms	24	1	15.4 ms	19.0 ms
    30 Nov 2017, 00:00	17.0 ms	23	1	15.7 ms	19.5 ms
    1 Dec 2017, 00:00	16.5 ms	25	1	14.6 ms	18.8 ms

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Any updates on Eir upgrading the HSQ cabinet. Always amazed me how the cabinet next to their HQ never got upgraded despite being next to a development of over 200 apartments connected to that particular cabinet. Seems crazy that Virgin Media have been handed the monopoly to the block.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Eir have been flat out past 2 or 3 weeks around Sixmilebridge. They have been working Saturdays & Sundays.
    I would think by the end of this week, they will have all the fibre on the polls. Some of the roads already have the splice boxes up ready for splice team. He was suggesting it should be all done soon enough and then ready for testing for golive. So fingers crossed, by end of February I'll have decent BB.

Was chatting to one of them on Sunday and they said there is a big push on at them moment to try get as much done as possible.

He said that the planners hadn't taken into account the possibility of storms, so they have fallen a bit behind becuase of Ophelia. The other this he mentioned was, there is no spare stock of copper in the country to do repairs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Hey folks, sorry for the basic question here but what type of cable do they run into the home?
    I live in a rural house, not built by me, so I have to try and locate the ducting for the existing regular old phone cable before they will return and attempt an install. I was hoping they would do this, otherwise I would have arranged it before they called.
    My concern is that whatever the new cable is may not fit through the ducting.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Hey folks, sorry for the basic question here but what type of cable do they run into the home?
    I live in a rural house, not built by me, so I have to try and locate the ducting for the existing regular old phone cable before they will return and attempt an install. I was hoping they would do this, otherwise I would have arranged it before they called.
    My concern is that whatever the new cable is may not fit through the ducting.

It is quite small. Here is the datasheet of the cable with a diagram of the dimensions. It is the outdoor version they use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Excellent information, thanks a million.

Actually does anyone know the allowable bend radius of this cable? Just in case I have to lay new ducting myself. Found the info further back in the thread. Thanks folks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Eir have been flat out past 2 or 3 weeks around Sixmilebridge. They have been working Saturdays & Sundays.
    I would think by the end of this week, they will have all the fibre on the polls. Some of the roads already have the splice boxes up ready for splice team. He was suggesting it should be all done soon enough and then ready for testing for golive. So fingers crossed, by end of February I'll have decent BB.

Was chatting to one of them on Sunday and they said there is a big push on at them moment to try get as much done as possible.

He said that the planners hadn't taken into account the possibility of storms, so they have fallen a bit behind becuase of Ophelia. The other this he mentioned was, there is no spare stock of copper in the country to do repairs.

Sounds good! :)

That should cover about 100 premises outside the village.

About 80 more to be done outside Newmarket first half of next year.

Great to see some movement in the area.

A friend lives in one of those locations between the ends of 'strands' and must wait for NBP apparently :(

Vegeta wrote: »
    Excellent information, thanks a million.

Actually does anyone know the allowable bend radius of this cable? Just in case I have to lay new ducting myself. Found the info further back in the thread. Thanks folks

Just remember that the installers may want to use their reel of duct rods to pull the cable through. The rods are going to have a larger diameter than the fibre so you would need to allow for that also.

• Advertisement

A friend lives in one of those locations between the ends of 'strands' and must wait for NBP apparently :(

I know people here mentioned that in some locations they kept going and actually covered houses that weren't in scope for 300,000.

Lad I was talking to - they were following the map to the letter for rolling it out and stopping where the stickers on the poles were. He said in one spot, they brought cable down a side rode about 7 or 8 spans and then stopped about 6 or 7 spans short of a section with 24 houses all together that are actually in the NBP.

He said there was up roar when they did Patrickswell when they were rolling out because it was just passing out housing estates with low speed to go out rural. They nearly had lads begging them to give them fibre, but nothing they could do!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Just a by the way -
    Sherkin Island, obviously, to be in the NBP, has had no fixed line telephones since Ophelia. The answer from eir is that they are waiting for a cable (undersea) to be delivered from Spain....
    When eir was asked about a fibre they said "you are in the NBP, you cannot get fibre until the NBP  starts"
    Baltimore, on the mainland, where the termination of the present cable is situated, has fibre, recently installed by KN, presumably for eir. 
    So, when the Spanish cable is delivered and "a suitable arrangement can be organised to replace the damaged cable" it will be connected to the fibre equipped exchange. 
    You could not make it up. 
    Barry

BarryM wrote: »
    Just a by the way -
    Sherkin Island, obviously, to be in the NBP, has had no fixed line telephones since Ophelia. The answer from eir is that they are waiting for a cable (undersea) to be delivered from Spain....
    When eir was asked about a fibre they said "you are in the NBP, you cannot get fibre until the NBP  starts"
    Baltimore, on the mainland, where the termination of the present cable is situated, has fibre, recently installed by KN, presumably for eir. 
    So, when the Spanish cable is delivered and "a suitable arrangement can be organised to replace the damaged cable" it will be connected to the fibre equipped exchange. 
    You could not make it up. 
    Barry

Eir have a regulatory obligation to provide copper line to every address in Ireland, so they can't decide to just replace the copper with fibre. And until they actually win the NBP, why would they go to the effort of rolling out fibre if they aren't going to get paid to do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

I know people here mentioned that in some locations they kept going and actually covered houses that weren't in scope for 300,000.

Lad I was talking to - they were following the map to the letter for rolling it out and stopping where the stickers on the poles were. He said in one spot, they brought cable down a side rode about 7 or 8 spans and then stopped about 6 or 7 spans short of a section with 24 houses all together that are actually in the NBP.

He said there was up roar when they did Patrickswell when they were rolling out because it was just passing out housing estates with low speed to go out rural. They nearly had lads begging them to give them fibre, but nothing they could do!!
    I’m in that boat, it will pass my door, start at the house next door and go about 2km in two different directions past me after that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

I've been trying to inquire about signing up with Eir, as their fibre goes past my house.

I don't currently have a phone line, so their system doesn't have me in its database, and three times now they've said someone will call me back to ascertain if they can provide service.

Do you think anyone has ever bothered to call?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 837 ✭✭✭BarryM

Eir have a regulatory obligation to provide copper line to every address in Ireland, so they can't decide to just replace the copper with fibre. And until they actually win the NBP, why would they go to the effort of rolling out fibre if they aren't going to get paid to do it?
    I think I can understand your handle, yes of course they want to be paid IF they win. Meanwhile they place an order for a special cable and will have  to hire boats and crew and equipment to drop it in the sea. 
    I would imagine they would spend about the same, they have fibre installers in the area, the main extra expense is getting it in the sea. 
    Anyway,whatever happens their "regulatory obligation to provide copper" will involve them in spending money. In fact, on the island, less than half the circuits on the "old" damaged line were active, most people have dropped their landline. I would imagine if there was a better link, such as fibre, a significant number of the former users would re-connect. 

eir seems to have slashed their prices for new sign ups. The package I signed up to a month ago is now over €100 cheaper. Sales numbers must not be what they were expecting.

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

eir seems to have slashed their prices for new sign ups. The package I signed up to a month ago is now over €100 cheaper. Sales numbers must not be what they were expecting.

What was the price (install cost, initial, 6 month, 12 month etc.) before?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Good that it's dropped in price but sicking really for so many people who aren't live yet or will not get it at all. Luckily I'm in an area due to get FTTH *sometime* in 2018, but even the 300Mb package works out at €666 per year - nearly €100 less than my useless package deal now....

Just have to wait.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    What was the price (install cost, initial, 6 month, 12 month etc.) before?

Salesperson was offering €63 X 12 for 300Mb with Irish and UK calls (€756 per year)

Online price I can't remember the actual breakdown but it was coming in at €20 less per year for the same package so €736 per year.

Today they are offering it for €666 with €50 cashback so €616.

No install fees on any of the above afaik.

All 12 month contracts and you would have to switch suppliers at 12 months to remain price competitive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 784 ✭✭✭editorsean

I have a screenshot of Eir's FTTH page from the 20th September and indeed the prices changed quite a bit in that short time. Compared to then, all three FTTH prices went up €10/month for the first 6 months, down €20/month for the following 6 months and then up €6/month after 12 months. The contract remains 12 months and the installation remains free.

Eir FTTH Package - 150 / 300 / 1000
    • First 6 months - Then: €35 / €43 / €55 - Now: €45 / €53 / €65
    • After 6 months - Then: €70 / €78 / €90 - Now: €50 / €58 / €70
    • After 12 months - Then: €75 / €83 / €95 - Now: €81 / €89 / €101
    • Sign-up freebie - Then: Premier League Jersey - Now: €50 cashback

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gandie

I have the 150MB FTTH package. It drops to about 60-70Mb at peak times. I'm thinking this is normal ?

What does the 300 or 1000MB FTTH package drop to at peak times ?

Gandie wrote: »
    I have the 150MB FTTH package. It drops to about 60-70Mb at peak times. I'm thinking this is normal ?

Are you testing wirelessly?

It' shouldn't drop that much using a wired connection, lowest mine (300 package) has dropped to is about 280.

Wifi is a different story entirely with the F2000.

I'm on the 300Mb package. You can see all the stats from my connection here and here. Lowest download speed tested was 145Mb. However the Netflix download which tests against a server in the eir core network has never dipped below 260Mb.

This suggests that eir could have some peering capacity issues on certain routes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

editorsean wrote: »
    I have a screenshot of Eir's FTTH page from the 20th September and indeed the prices changed quite a bit in that short time. Compared to then, all three FTTH prices went up €10/month for the first 6 months, down €20/month for the following 6 months and then up €6/month after 12 months. The contract remains 12 months and the installation remains free.

Eir FTTH Package - 150 / 300 / 1000
    • First 6 months - Then: €35 / €43 / €55 - Now: €45 / €53 / €65
    • After 6 months - Then: €70 / €78 / €90 - Now: €50 / €58 / €70
    • After 12 months - Then: €75 / €83 / €95 - Now: €81 / €89 / €101
    • Sign-up freebie - Then: Premier League Jersey - Now: €50 cashback
    That's put the cat among the pigeons in terms of the 1000 package and those competitors that have a 12 month plan. Not like the others to be undercut by Eir.

I don't think the costs could be that much greater for providing 1000 versus 300mbit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

KOR101 wrote: »
    I don't think the costs could be that much greater for providing 1000 versus 300mbit.

The wholesale line rental is substantially higher on the GigE line.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Marlow wrote: »

/M
    But, to Eir?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Can you somewhere virgin media cover?No usage limits. 360 meg isnt bad to be fair.

• Advertisement

Depends on where in the country you are. Good few providers with better deals, but not offering country wide.

/M

Can the pair of ye decide between yourselves that one can change avatar, keep thinking yer talking to yourself! :pac:

/M
    But, to Eir?

If you mean to Eir, Yes. To OpenEir, a bit.

Eir must pay the WLR/Bitstream costs the same as everyone else. Thems the rules.

OpenEir have 2.5Gbps to play with. They can get away with 5x 1G subs or 31 150Mb subs. So as they take multiple seats from the table they need to be priced appropriately.

If it were P2P the wholesale costs would be near flat as the only extra load is in the core which scales well.

But, to Eir?

Same price to Eir as to other providers. Well .. supposed to be, anyhow.
    ED E wrote: »
    Can the pair of ye decide between yourselves that one can change avatar, keep thinking yer talking to yourself! :pac:

Nah .. it's a default avatar .. lots of people have it. Feck individualism :)
    ED E wrote: »
    If you mean to Eir, Yes. To OpenEir, a bit.

It also matters to OpenEIR. Because on top of the line rental difference, they also charge traffic charges depending on how the provider builds their network with them. If the WEIL (the handover point to the provider) is cross-country or in a different exchange boundary, then traffic charges are added. The bigger the connection, the higher the possibility of getting that sort of money for OpenEIR.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

All the problems with installations not happening/needs an hoist/needs 2 men etc are really OpenEir/Wholesale issues and not the retail side of eir which the average Joe deals with - wouldn't matter if it was thru Vodafone, Sky etc as they all have to go thru the same company
    Might be the "same company" but they have to operate as 3 separate companies

fritzelly wrote: »
    All the problems with installations not happening/needs an hoist/needs 2 men etc are really OpenEir/Wholesale issues and not the retail side of eir which the average Joe deals with - wouldn't matter if it was thru Vodafone, Sky etc as they all have to go thru the same company
    Might be the "same company" but they have to operate as 3 separate companies

That is as such correct. But the difference is, how the provider takes care of the customer, when OpenEIR or the contractor lets the customer down.

And there are acres of difference between providers there.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

That is as such correct. But the difference is, how the provider takes care of the customer, when OpenEIR or the contractor lets the customer down.

No argument

I'm in Dublin city center on a smallish street and while every other street around me is on FTTH I can only get up to 100Mb (as everyone can only get on the street) - very annoying as I would have probably made the jump from VM. The woes of living in the city

• Advertisement

fritzelly wrote: »
    No argument

I'm in Dublin city center on a smallish street and while every other street around me is on FTTH I can only get up to 100Mb (as everyone can only get on the street) - very annoying as I would have probably made the jump from VM. The woes of living in the city

That's the norm across the country. OpenEIR FTTH stretches typically only go along one or two streets in Urban areas: where it goes from one rural area to another.

They didn't want to invalidate their investment into DSLAMs in the cabinets. Even though it's silly.

So SIRO or Virgin for Urban FTTH.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Hi all.
    What's the crack with the eir TV box?
    What connection does it use?
    Does it work over the network or is it the satellite?
    The engineer said it needed a phone cable? Surely he meant Ethernet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

chrismon wrote:
    Hi all. What's the crack with the eir TV box? What connection does it use? Does it work over the network or is it the satellite? The engineer said it needed a phone cable? Surely he meant Ethernet?

Iptv(internet protocol tv), I.e. the tv signal is streamed over eirs broadband network, I.e. no satellite. I'm not hearing amazing things about their boxes though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Iptv(internet protocol tv), I.e. the tv signal is streamed over eirs broadband network, I.e. no satellite. I'm not hearing amazing things about their boxes though

That was my thinking alright.
    Do you know if it needs a phone cable along with Ethernet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

chrismon wrote:
    That was my thinking alright. Do you know if it needs a phone cable along with Ethernet?

I don't to be honest, I've limited knowledge on these things, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to inform us both. It obviously needs to be connected to their socket some how, but I'm wondering if an rj11 (phone connection) could carry the load? I suspect an rj45 (Ethernet) is required for the load.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement