Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    I don't to be honest, I've limited knowledge on these things, but I'm sure someone will be along soon to inform us both. It obviously needs to be connected to their socket some how, but I'm wondering if an rj11 (phone connection) could carry the load? I suspect an rj45 (Ethernet) is required for the load.

I hope so.
    I'm not running phone cables around the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

chrismon wrote: »
    That was my thinking alright.
    Do you know if it needs a phone cable along with Ethernet?

They fit it using cat5 Ethernet running back to the modem

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

They fit it using cat5 Ethernet running back to the modem

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭banjopeter

fritzelly wrote: »
    All the problems with installations not happening/needs an hoist/needs 2 men etc are really OpenEir/Wholesale issues and not the retail side of eir which the average Joe deals with - wouldn't matter if it was thru Vodafone, Sky etc as they all have to go thru the same company
    Might be the "same company" but they have to operate as 3 separate companies
    As Marlow says it is how the end provider deals with their customers that affects us. I was dealing with Eir for 5 months, trying to get connected, and it was a total nightmare with woeful customer service. Tried Digiweb then instead, and what a contrast. Connected within the week, staff nothing but courteous and attentive, with real phone calls from real people when I had an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Grimsvotn

Hi guys, I just ordered fibre from Eir as my house is on the FTTH map.
    What should i expect in terms of installation, are there normally any difficulties involved in installing FTTH?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Grimsvotn wrote: »
    What should i expect in terms of installation, are there normally any difficulties involved in installing FTTH?

If you have an existing phone line does it come in via a duct or overhead from a pole?
    If via a duct, issues could include blocked duct or duct too small, such issue will have to be resolved by the householder before install goes ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Grimsvotn

The Cush wrote: »
    If you have an existing phone line does it come in via a duct or overhead from a pole?
    If via a duct, issues could include blocked duct or duct too small, such issue will have to be resolved by the householder before install goes ahead.

Yeah existing phone line present, seems to come in via duct as no overhead cables are connected to the house.

Grimsvotn wrote: »
    Yeah existing phone line present, seems to come in via duct as no overhead cables are connected to the house.

Does the cable come in via a small white box on the house, an ETU, or directly to the phone point?

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/cheat-sheets/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gandie

ED E wrote: »
    Gandie wrote: »
    I have the 150MB FTTH package. It drops to about 60-70Mb at peak times. I'm thinking this is normal ?

What does the 300 or 1000MB FTTH package drop to at peak times ?

Are you testing wirelessly?
    Yes and it looks like that's the main problem.
    I was getting 145+Mb sitting inside in the sitting room during the day (router about 20 feet and 2 solid walls away) but at night time it seemed to dip to 60Mb or 70Mb. 
    I figured out last night that it works better for me (at least it seemed to last night) if I keep the 2.4gHz and 5gHz wifi networks separate. The fritz box had them with the same SSID and I guess my phone then may be switching to the stronger signal at times. When I named the SSIDs differently, it seemed that both the 2.4gHz and 5gHz network speedtests improved considerably. The 2.4gHz was now hitting 85Mb consistently and the 5gHz was hitting 140Mb consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭edgari0kas

whats the upload speeds for 150 , 300 and 1000 mb ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

edgari0kas wrote: »
    whats the upload speeds for 150 , 300 and 1000 mb ?

30, 50, 100 Mb.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭edgari0kas

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Marlow wrote: »
    That is as such correct. But the difference is, how the provider takes care of the customer, when OpenEIR or the contractor lets the customer down.

And there are acres of difference between providers there.

/M

Couldn't agree more. Have had 4 failed appointments now for Eir - all the usual excuses, no hoist, needs 2 men, too dark now, no shows etc and the best one - run out of clips at the last job!

The worst thing is the endless phonecalls you have to make after the failed appointment, being sent from one company/department to another, with empty promises to return your call. The final insult is being sent back to the bottom of the list because KN/OpenEir/Eir failed yet again to install FTTH at the appointment THEY made for you! I had to chase it all and re-order yesterday - from scratch!

I now have a fifth install appointment but it's going to be in the mouth of Xmas, so I have little hope really. One of the engineer/installers told me that each day is a new day and it's the luck of the draw whether you get installed at your allocated appointment. Instead of taking appointments in order, with failed ones getting some priority, it's a new day and a new list.

Although KN are supposed to be contracted by Eir, I have a suspicion that there must be some deal going on somewhere that is giving the likes of Digiweb customers an edge. If everyone was getting equal treatment, there wouldn't be such a trail of disaster attached to Eir orders vs Digiweb ones. Not that that excuses Eir from their absolutely abysmal customer service - how anyone manages to keep patient and polite is a mystery.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

RoYoBo wrote: »
    ...I have a suspicion that there must be some deal going on somewhere that is giving the likes of Digiweb customers an edge.

Hah. I'm picturing the reaction of OAOs up and down the country to this theory... :pac:

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Hah. I'm picturing the reaction of OAOs up and down the country to this theory... :pac:

Well, indulging in conspiracy theories is better than letting fly with frustration at the customer 'service' agents on the phone :pac: Eir, OpenEir and KN are busy blaming each other for the shortcomings in installations. I've heard them all over the last month of fake appointments.

All the while (it would appear) that Digiweb customers report being connected within a week on a once off appointment. It never seems to be too dark for them to get installed, so it looks like they're getting all the morning appointments. Not to mention using up all the clips that the KN installer has in his van ... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Could do with Digiweb charging and Eir doing it free

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Could do with Digiweb charging and Eir doing it free

Nope. Everyone pays the same, and everyone has the same problems to deal with. Smaller ISPs tend to have more hands-on customer service and fewer issues with orders getting lost in a maze of systems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Everyone must deal with UG though

emoji_update_2017_10.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

So KN have put the black box thing on the poles near us, how much longer do you guys think it will be before it goes live?

Was forecasted for during second half 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

While getting the splice boxes on the poles is one step closer, I've noticed that in my area they have yet to bring the feeding fiber to the start of the fiber runs across the poles. The blow tube/pipe is in and waiting. For me, most likely another 2 months maybe.

The Openeir site says second half of 2017 for me, but when you mail OpenEir with your eircode you get a more accurate idea which for me is March'18.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    While getting the splice boxes on the poles is one step closer, I've noticed that in my area they have yet to bring the feeding fiber to the start of the fiber runs across the poles. The blow tube/pipe is in and waiting. For me, most likely another 2 months maybe.

The Openeir site says second half of 2017 for me, but when you mail OpenEir with your eircode you get a more accurate idea which for me is March'18.

How do you contact OpenEir?

We don't have an existing phone line so can't seem to trigger the live chat

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭dumb_parade

KeRbDoG wrote: »

I'm in the same boat. The day after the 300K were announced back in April, the guys were on our road installing fibre in the ducts. We were due to get fibre by December 2017. Part of the exchange went live last month, but when i emailed open eir, they now say it will be March 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Just had an eir sub-contractor call about hedge cutting in preparation for the fibre rollout - to say I'm excited is an understatement! My house is down for winter 2018, so it seems very early to be cutting hedges. Anyone have experience with timescales from when hedges are cut to fibre being available?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭babybuilder

Just had an eir sub-contractor call about hedge cutting in preparation for the fibre rollout - to say I'm excited is an understatement! My house is down for winter 2018, so it seems very early to be cutting hedges. Anyone have experience with timescales from when hedges are cut to fibre being available?
    Just wondering this myself. Trees trimmed about 2 months ago and I'm down for winter 18.

Hedges around me were cut in October 2016, I was connected in November 2017.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

Siro successfully after testing 10Gbit speeds. Is that using the existing FTTH technology (the distribution points splice boxes) or is it P2P?

https://siro.ie/huawei-trial/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

We had an Eir rep in with us around august or september i think it was, fibre would be installed with 3 weeks.

We are still waiting.

Siro successfully after testing 10Gbit speeds. Is that using the existing FTTH technology (the distribution points splice boxes) or is it P2P?

https://siro.ie/huawei-trial/

I'm open to correction here but the article says they used XGS-PON which is an evolution of the passive optical technology allowing 10Gb symmetric speeds. I believe it uses different wavelengths of light so can coexist with the legacy GPON that SIRO have used in their network. Obviously equipment would need to be changed at the OLT and at the subscribers ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

we had hedges cut last March, they marked the poles in Sept.
    Laid the Cables on the main road 2 weeks ago, put up the cables on the poles around my house this week, not terminated yet.
    yet being told is still likey 2 months to 4 months away before I can order.

They must trim the hedges during the winter season as it's against the law to do them during the spring/summer. Around here they were trimmed in September and we were connected the following March.

So I suppose they trim for all the projects that could potentially start before next autumn.

• Advertisement

They must trim the hedges during the winter season as it's against the law to do them during the spring/summer. Around here they were trimmed in September and we were connected the following March.

So I suppose they trim for all the projects that could potentially start before next autumn.

That would be correct, no hedge cutting allowed from March 1st to August 31.

Around my area this was done in early February, FTTH live Nov 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

The Cush wrote: »
    That would be correct, no hedge cutting allowed from March 1st to August 31.

Around my area this was done in early February, FTTH live Nov 1st.

I got excited back in Fec '17 as they started trimming the trees. Then they posted my area is scheduled for Spring/Summer 2018... Think they need to trim them again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I'm open to correction here but the article says they used XGS-PON which is an evolution of the passive optical technology allowing 10Gb symmetric speeds. I believe it uses different wavelengths of light so can coexist with the legacy GPON that SIRO have used in their network. Obviously equipment would need to be changed at the OLT and at the subscribers ONT.

You are spot on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I was all set to go with Digiweb but with the new reduced prices from Eir, the free install and €50 cashback, I'm tempted to go with them. Am I mad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Well, indulging in conspiracy theories is better than letting fly with frustration at the customer 'service' agents on the phone :pac: Eir, OpenEir and KN are busy blaming each other for the shortcomings in installations. I've heard them all over the last month of fake appointments.

All the while (it would appear) that Digiweb customers report being connected within a week on a once off appointment. It never seems to be too dark for them to get installed, so it looks like they're getting all the morning appointments. Not to mention using up all the clips that the KN installer has in his van ... :P

Well, you caused that grief yourself. Maybe you should vote with your feet and go for another provider on OpenEIR.
    ezra_ wrote: »
    How do you contact OpenEir?

We don't have an existing phone line so can't seem to trigger the live chat

You don't contact OpenEIR. Only the providers do. You contact a provider, that you want the broadband from. They will then contact OpenEIR and do the appropriate checking.
    Heighway61 wrote: »
    I was all set to go with Digiweb but with the new reduced prices from Eir, the free install and €50 cashback, I'm tempted to go with them. Am I mad?

Yes .. Because after 6 months the price goes up and after 12 months, they shaft you. 45 EUR/month for 6 months and then they're increasing the price to what others charge.

If you then don't change provider after 12 months, you'll give them a license to shaft you at 81 EUR/month.

So your initial saving with them is the 30 EUR (6x5 EUR) and the 50 EUR cashback over the first year. Free installation maybe, too. But that saving is going to be eaten up VERY fast, if you don't take care .... and then there's that issue with Support being useless and their router being rubbish to the point of unusable, too :) Oh .. and they'll certainly charge you on top of that, if you exceed 1TB/month.

The answer: yes .. taking that sort of hassle for any sort of saving is mad !

/M

There is quite a substantial difference in costs for the first year between Digiweb and Eir. Both are 12 month contracts and the following illustrates the costs for both for Year 1:

Digiweb €64.95 (calls included) for 12 months, plus the installation charge of 199 equals €978.40.

Eir (calls included) is €45 x 6 for the first 6 months, followed by €50 x 6 for the next 6 months and 50 cashback equals €520 and no installation charge.

That €458 difference for the first year is a deal breaker for me due to my budget. Granted, the better modem and better customer service (not to mention the extreme hassle of trying to get installed with Eir in the first place!) is a big plus for Digiweb, but not enough to overcome a saving of such magnitude.

If one is careful and on the ball, once the contract is up at the end of the 12 months, one is free to change to the best deal available. This may be Digiweb at that time, given that no installation fee will apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Marlow wrote: »
    You don't contact OpenEIR. Only the providers do. You contact a provider, that you want the broadband from. They will then contact OpenEIR and do the appropriate checking.

You can contact OpenEir direct by emailing fibrepower@openeir.ie (mentioned many times on this thread) - if you ask nicely and give them your eircode they should be able to give a more accurate 'go live' month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

There is quite a substantial difference in costs for the first year between Digiweb and Eir. Both are 12 month contracts and the following illustrates the costs for both for Year 1:

Digiweb €64.95 (calls included) for 12 months, plus the installation charge of 199 equals €978.40.

Eir (calls included) is €45 x 6 for the first 6 months, followed by €50 x 6 for the next 6 months and 50 cashback equals €520 and no installation charge.

That €458 difference for the first year is a deal breaker for me due to my budget. Granted, the better modem and better customer service (not to mention the extreme hassle of trying to get installed with Eir in the first place!) is a big plus for Digiweb, but not enough to overcome a saving of such magnitude.

If one is careful and on the ball, once the contract is up at the end of the 12 months, one is free to change to the best deal available. This may be Digiweb at that time, given that no installation fee will apply.
    You're assuming the others don't respond to what Eir has done. Wait a couple of months if you can and see.

KOR101 wrote: »
    You're assuming the others don't respond to what Eir has done. Wait a couple of months if you can and see.

I might be waiting anyway, given that my next and fifth 'appointment' is for December 15th. I've decided to stop stressing about it and just let what happens, happen.

What I find hard to understand, though, is that after each failed appointment, I'm the one who has to chase the next one. It's as if they don't know you haven't been connected until you tell them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

I might be waiting anyway, given that my next and fifth 'appointment' is for December 15th. I've decided to stop stressing about it and just let what happens, happen.

What I find hard to understand, though, is that after each failed appointment, I'm the one who has to chase the next one. It's as if they don't know you haven't been connected until you tell them!

Should be contacted within a few days, usually the next day after the technician reports it on the system

• Advertisement

Should be contacted within a few days, usually the next day after the technician reports it on the system

I left it 4 days the last time. When I eventually rang, there was no record of my last appointment at all and I ended up going to the bottom of the list again. No system whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

I left it 4 days the last time. When I eventually rang, there was no record of my last appointment at all and I ended up going to the bottom of the list again. No system whatsoever.

There is .. 5 different billing systems internally. And you never know, which one you land in :)

/M

Do eir do broadband only? Can only see broadband and talk bundled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Hi All

I've an installation date for this week do I need to put a pull wire into the duct or will the use there own or the old copper wire??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

https://www.eir.ie/broadband-only/

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭raydator

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

raydator wrote: »
    Only see bundles there.

Only see bundles there.

The prices are listed on page 3 of:

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

They make no mention of it anywhere else on their site. If you are a new customer it would work out cheaper for you to sign up for a bundle for 12 months then either move or renegotiate with eir after the 12 months.

• Advertisement

Fibre312 wrote: »
    It's not usual bs Eir are introducing setup fees in December.

Since 23rd Nov the eir FTTH install fee is €250 (incl. VAT), almost the full wholesale charge of €270. Is this install fee still being waived by eir to new customers?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement