Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Grimsvotn

The Cush wrote: »
    Since 23rd Nov the eir FTTH install fee is €250 (incl. VAT), almost the full wholesale charge of €270. Is this install fee still being waived by eir to new customers?

It's still being waived as I signed up this week but the Eir agent mentioned that they are introducing the charges soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Can anyone help me with this please???
    eiei0 wrote: »
    Hi All

I've an installation date for this week do I need to put a pull wire into the duct or will the use there own or the old copper wire??

In my installation, they didn't use the duct at all and just ran a cable to the gable end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

It would be helpful if you had a rope through the duct as it would prove the duct is clear and speed up installation. If you cannot get a rope through they will try using their own cable rods. Here is a good trick for getting a rope through.

https://youtu.be/wEnRz3CPslo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

I had a big problem with my Eir account a few months ago, and My Eir profile on the site still isnt fixed, it doesn't show up my usage or any other details. Eir told me they would try to fix it and gave me an external website link where I could enter my account no and track usage, but that link is no longer working. Does anyone else know of any new link to track usage?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Pangea wrote: »
    I had a big problem with my Eir account a few months ago, and My Eir profile on the site still isnt fixed, it doesn't show up my usage or any other details. Eir told me they would try to fix it and gave me an external website link where I could enter my account no and track usage, but that link is no longer working. Does anyone else know of any new link to track usage?

Do you mean your BB usage?

http://dslstats.eir.ie/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Since 23rd Nov the eir FTTH install fee is €250 (incl. VAT), almost the full wholesale charge of €270. Is this install fee still being waived by eir to new customers?

The wholesale charge of 270 EUR is ex. VAT. So 306.45 assuming 13.5% VAT on that.

But that means, Eir is now charging more than most others.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

Marlow wrote: »
    The wholesale charge of 270 EUR is ex. VAT. So 306.45 assuming 13.5% VAT on that.

But that means, Eir is now charging more than most others.

/M

It's still being waived AFAIK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

fritzelly wrote: »
    Do you mean your BB usage?

http://dslstats.eir.ie/

Fair play to you, that worked perfectly. That was hard to find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Heighway61

The prices are listed on page 3 of:

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/Part3.1.pdf

They make no mention of it anywhere else on their site. If you are a new customer it would work out cheaper for you to sign up for a bundle for 12 months then either move or renegotiate with eir after the 12 months.
    Thanks. Is FTTH the second table? Looks like the bundle is €10pm cheaper than standalone under the new reduced pricing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Is FTTH the second table? Looks like the bundle is €10pm cheaper than standalone under the new reduced pricing.

FTTH is "eir Fibre Extreme" in the pricing documents, page 3 - second table is the standalone pricing, first table is the pricing for those with a separate landline but monthly landline cost has to be added to that price

Bundle pricing can be seen here also - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/pt4.1.10.pdf

FTTH is "eir Fibre Extreme" in the pricing documents, page 3 - second table is the standalone pricing, first table is the pricing for those with a separate landline but monthly landline cost has to be added to that price

Bundle pricing can be seen here also - https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/.content/pdf/pricing/pt4.1.10.pdf
    Would there be any problem getting that, seeing that it doesn't seem to be advertised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,726 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Would there be any problem getting that, seeing that it doesn't seem to be advertised?

If you mean the standalone product, no problem I believe, you just have to ring them to order.

I've just been emailed a new date for my FTTH installation - 28th November! Either I'm really at the bottom of a long list or Eir have developed a time machine :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

RoYoBo wrote: »
    I've just been emailed a new date for my FTTH installation - 28th November! Either I'm really at the bottom of a long list or Eir have developed a time machine :pac:
    Faster than the speed of light no less.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Well lads Kn have been working non stop around my village the past 2 weeks. Ton of work been done on ducts but also new poles been erected off every road out of the village. Were due to go live in March. With these works taking place are them still on time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Yesterday saw lots of Open Eir guys working on FTTH in Kilbeggan at the start of the Clara/Kilbeggan road.

eamo22 wrote: »
    Well lads Kn have been working non stop around my village the past 2 weeks. Ton of work been done on ducts but also new poles been erected off every road out of the village. Were due to go live in March. With these works taking place are them still on time.

Should be. The groundwork and preparation is by far the longest part of the process. They can run the cable and fit the boxes in a matter of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭eamo22

Should be. The groundwork and preparation is by far the longest part of the process. They can run the cable and fit the boxes in a matter of days.

Thanks for that. The were around 6 months ago doing work basically in the village and then disappeared. Our go live date was pushed from August a couple of times. Now its March. 12mb is a killer downloading games and updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,122 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

eamo22 wrote: »
    Thanks for that. The were around 6 months ago doing work basically in the village and then disappeared. Our go live date was pushed from August a couple of times. Now its March. 12mb is a killer downloading games and updates.

I dream of having 12 Mb. :P

• Advertisement

Unless this is a ducting installation and you wait 2 weeks for a tech to come out to say your duct is blocked, then you find out the duct is under your tarmac'd drive way, then you finally get it sorted and another 2 weeks for a tech to come out then he tells you there is low light on the line or the DP is not active so you have a forecast date for that to be fixed then....so on and so on

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

cnocbui wrote: »
    I dream of having 12 Mb. :P

I would consider 12 mb a BIG upgrade!

Sorry for being such a thicko but according to that pricing I can get 150mb FTTH for €35.49? I can then cancel my current landline with Sky, which I have never used for calls.

RoYoBo wrote: »
    There is quite a substantial difference in costs for the first year between Digiweb and Eir. Both are 12 month contracts and the following illustrates the costs for both for Year 1:

Digiweb €64.95 (calls included) for 12 months, plus the installation charge of 199 equals €978.40.

Eir (calls included) is €45 x 6 for the first 6 months, followed by €50 x 6 for the next 6 months and 50 cashback equals €520 and no installation charge.

That €458 difference for the first year is a deal breaker for me due to my budget. Granted, the better modem and better customer service (not to mention the extreme hassle of trying to get installed with Eir in the first place!) is a big plus for Digiweb, but not enough to overcome a saving of such magnitude.

If one is careful and on the ball, once the contract is up at the end of the 12 months, one is free to change to the best deal available. This may be Digiweb at that time, given that no installation fee will apply.
    I emailed Digiweb to comment on the fact that they are charging twice what eir are charging and followed up with a second email a couple of days later, but they didn't reply to either.

Sorry for being such a thicko but according to that pricing I can get 150mb FTTH for €35.49? I can then cancel my current landline with Sky, which I have never used for calls.

No. That price does not include line rental. The standalone price for 150Mb is €55 per month.

No. That price does not include line rental. The standalone price for 150Mb is €55 per month.
    Ok thanks, I take that on board but can you say what exactly is the line rental? Copper or fibre, and is it €25.78? And if my current copper line is with another provider do eir take that over. I was thinking it's two very separate things.

Ok thanks, I take that on board but can you say what exactly is the line rental? Copper or fibre, and is it €25.78? And if my current copper line is with another provider do eir take that over. I was thinking it's two very separate things.

I had to look it up. Yes it seems to be €25.78. If you have a current landline number that you don't need then either order the standalone product at €55 or order a bundle for 12 months. With the bundle from eir you will be given a new VoIP number which again you are free to use or ignore. Your current copper landline is only relevant if you wanted to keep the number for whatever reason.

I had to look it up. Yes it seems to be €25.78. If you have a current landline number that you don't need then either order the standalone product at €55 or order a bundle for 12 months. With the bundle from eir you will be given a new VoIP number which again you are free to use or ignore. Your current copper landline is only relevant if you wanted to keep the number for whatever reason.
    Thanks. Didn't know rental was charged on the fibre line.

Thanks. Didn't know rental was charged on the fibre line.

Yes it is not exactly clear at first glance!

• Advertisement

My install is today open eir rang yesterday to see if I was ok to go ahead and I said yes, they said KN would text or call before they came,

It's half 1 now and I've heard nothing is it a safe bet to say they won't be coming today,

How long does an installation take I'm 3 poles from the splice box and it's a duct into the house hardly do that in an hour or 2 would they???

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Gandie

My install is today open eir rang yesterday to see if I was ok to go ahead and I said yes, they said KN would text or call before they came,

It's half 1 now and I've heard nothing is it a safe bet to say they won't be coming today,

How long does an installation take I'm 3 poles from the splice box and it's a duct into the house hardly do that in an hour or 2 would they???
    They may just have got delayed. Installs often over run. If they dont come by 4.30 then its off as there wont be enough light.
    Installation takes about 2 hours if  no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 580 ✭✭✭glen123

In my case I was also promised a text or a call, but got neither. The guy showed up 16.45 which was 15min after I left the house (appointment was for 9am - 1pm). Luckily the neighbor was able to entertain him until I got back.

Out installation took around 2 hours - our pole with the splice box was on the other side of the road, so everything had to go to the pole beside our house, then into the duct and into the house itself. It was dark and my husband was helping him because the guy was on his own. He was determined to finish though because he said they only get paid if the install has been fully completed. He left at around 7pm.

Thanks for the replies he is here working away now, also said they only get paid on a completed job and I was the 5th job today all the others were failures so he was hoping mine was ok so he would get paid,

Seems like hard work for little reward,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Installation work took about 3.5 hours. The Modem/router is located in the next room from where the ONT is. The Drop cable flies past 2 poles from the splice box and flies from the pole 3 given the splice is on 1 into the house.

glen123 wrote: »
    In my case I was also promised a text or a call, but got neither. The guy showed up 16.45 which was 15min after I left the house (appointment was for 9am - 1pm). Luckily the neighbor was able to entertain him until I got back.

Out installation took around 2 hours - our pole with the splice box was on the other side of the road, so everything had to go to the pole beside our house, then into the duct and into the house itself. It was dark and my husband was helping him because the guy was on his own. He was determined to finish though because he said they only get paid if the install has been fully completed. He left at around 7pm.

So much for the excuse I got on failed install number 3 - we cannot work in the dark, it's 'elf & safety' rules. Not to mention failed install number 1, we MUST have 2 men! I think they make up the rules as they go along to suit whatever they feel like on the day!

My fifth installation appointment is tomorrow morning - not holding my breath ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

I feel your pain.

The only consolation is when its in, you will hopefully never have to deal with them again.

My Guy was on his own I gave him a hand to do some stuff as he needed an extra pair of hands to be fair,
    Very happy with how he did the install so hopefully it will just work now as my old dsl connection did,

went for the 300 meg connection and a quick speed test this evening seen anything from 290-300 and upto 50 up so can't complain, It's a different world from my old 4 meg line

28499 total FTTP nationwide between all operators in Q3 up from 19125 (49% increase). It looks like we'll finally make the FTTH Council's list of countries with at least 1% penetration.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/quarterly-key-data-report-q3-2017

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

28499 total FTTP nationwide between all operators in Q3 up from 19125 (49% increase). At least we'll finally make the FTTH Council's list of countries with at least 1% penetration.

https://www.comreg.ie/publication-download/quarterly-key-data-report-q3-2017
    Average fixed broadband speeds continue to increase. In Q3 2017 approximately 81.5% of all fixed broadband subscriptions were equal to or greater than 10Mbps up from 76.5% in Q3 2016 12 . 70.5% of all fixed broadband subscriptions were equal to or greater than 30Mbps, up from 62.5% in Q3 2016.

70.5% of fixed connections at 30Mb/s or higher .......... I am really feeling the pain. I am not even in the 81.5% on 10Mb/s or greater :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

70.5% of fixed connections at 30Mb/s or higher .......... I am really feeling the pain. I am not even in the 81.5% on 10Mb/s or greater

I think I'm in the 99th percentile

Would be good if this was an iq test lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

Are eir's FTTH cables available to other operators e.g. Vodafone?

patsryan wrote: »

Yep

Not Vodafone currently. The list of other operators is here. FTTH resellers have the green house icon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Available - yes.

Vodafone have decided not to use them - yet. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Grimsvotn

Do Eir provide the router in advance of the installation or does the engineer bring it?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Grimsvotn wrote: »
    Do Eir provide the router in advance of the installation or does the engineer bring it?

Engineer brings it

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭pjwhite99

Hi

I got my ftth fitted 2 days ago I'm on the "up to 150" package.

On wifi standing beside the hub I can only get 50 and that is on the 5g on the 2.4g there not much difference. Should there be? It's about 47 on that

is anyone getting better speeds? Any way off improving it?

I would have thought there would be a big difference on the 5g to the 2.4

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

pjwhite99 wrote: »
    Hi

I got my ftth fitted 2 days ago I'm on the "up to 150" package.

On wifi standing beside the hub I can only get 50 and that is on the 5g on the 2.4g there not much difference. Should there be? It's about 47 on that

is anyone getting better speeds? Any way off improving it?

I would have thought there would be a big difference on the 5g to the 2.4

Have you Tried running a Speedtest on Ethernet?

Well, as expected really, my fifth appointment for FTTH has come and gone and another no show :mad: When I rang, having been sent around the OpenEir/Eir/KN houses once more, there was no record of the appointment that was made 10 days ago. Just a note re a preliminary appointment that wasn't confirmed to OpenEir. I got cut off 3 times when the CS agent went to 'investigate' but I kept on ringing.

Next appointment is the 4th January as there's nothing available sooner. I am making a formal complaint, but each of the three are denying liability for the utter shambles - and blaming each other in the process. I have kept details of dates, times and persons spoken to, but I know I'm wasting my time :(

Let this be a lesson to anyone considering Eir - be prepared for a complete fiasco! Keep records of every phonecall, communication and CS agent's name. Remind them that you'll be wanting the phone records from the recorded calls.

Wi-fi should never be a test of your speed - too many factors come into play

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement