Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭pjwhite99

patsryan wrote: »
    Have you Tried running a Speedtest on Ethernet?

Yes it's really good about a 110 most off the time but would have liked wifi a little better than 50 is there a better hub you could buy?

Would it be worth calling eir can they improve anything on there end?

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

pjwhite99 wrote: »
    Would it be worth calling eir can they improve anything on there end?
    I rang them. Waste of time. If you have light, you have fibre. Thing about a better router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

garroff wrote: »
    I rang them. Waste of time. If you have light, you have fibre. Thing about a better router.

Same with any company (VM included) - they won't provide support for wi-fi unless there is something actually wrong with it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭swoofer

out of interest what are you using to test the wi fi speed, is it phone, say make and model, if laptop say make model and age. i have ftth and can test as well.

NB say the server you are using, i always use vodafone in dublin.

ok just now, in another room from router, solid walls, i get 51mb down and 98 up, on macbook pro, 7 years old, 8gb memory, ssd. on 5ghz its 98 down and 95 up, ping is 10 for both.

next to router its 95 on 2.5 and 130 on 5ghz,

out of interest do you know the length of the fibre cable from dp box to your house ie to ont on wall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭eiei0

Anyone have issues with Eir Vision and VOIP not working,

neither have worked so far for me, support says it can take 48 hours for it to work seems strange it can take so long,

swoofer wrote: »
    out of interest what are you using to test the wi fi speed, is it phone, say make and model, if laptop say make model and age. i have ftth and can test as well.

NB say the server you are using, i always use vodafone in dublin.

ok just now, in another room from router, solid walls, i get 51mb down and 98 up, on macbook pro, 7 years old, 8gb memory, ssd. on 5ghz its 98 down and 95 up, ping is 10 for both.

next to router its 95 on 2.5 and 130 on 5ghz,

out of interest do you know the length of the fibre cable from dp box to your house ie to ont on wall?

Thanks for the info that's good over wifi I'm well under that I'm 50 right beside hub. I have only used a iPhone 6s and I pad.

Will try some other devices to see.

Cable run is prob something around 200 to 300 meters at a guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

eiei0 wrote: »
    Anyone have issues with Eir Vision and VOIP not working,

neither have worked so far for me, support says it can take 48 hours for it to work seems strange it can take so long,

Vision wont work if your phone number hasnt been applied. If you're bringing that in from another network it might take a day or so.

I was with Eir for my old copper line ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just their billing platform being useless so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭oleras

My copper line stayed in place and still works.

oleras wrote: »
    My copper line stayed in place and still works.

I,also, have 300Mb Eir fibre and my phone is still on "old" copper line.

Do you sill pay for both copper and fiber?? 

I disconnected the Copper line to connect my internal wiring to the F2000

Do you sill pay for both copper and fiber?? 

I disconnected the Copper line to connect my internal wiring to the F2000

All part of the package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

If you have copper then your phone continues on it else it's VOBB, fibre still has a phone line charge regardless whether you avail of it or not

• Advertisement

I thought once you got FTTH they cut off the copper and you just connected you phone to the modem??

So does the fee I am paying Eir now cover both the FTTH and the old copper phone line ???

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭patsryan

fritzelly wrote: »
    garroff wrote: »

Same with any company (VM included) - they won't provide support for wi-fi unless there is something actually wrong with it

Hmm interesting- have you tried separating the 5gHz network rather than running it in combined mode? May make a difference

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

I have ftth and my copper line is still live only there is very little traffic on it these days.

I wish they told me that before I cut it and took it out of the cavity, going to be a night mare to rewire the copper,

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

I spoke too soon !
    Turns out fibre rollout is complete in my area except for a 600m stretch of road that KN neglected to run new ducting & fibre cable on.
    The broadband officer in the council had been told that the rollout was complete but certain areas have no connection due to this missing duct & cable.
    Eir had been on site about 2 weeks ago to run the fibre and only then noticed that the ducting pipe wasn’t in place.
    From my exp of dealing with Eir and KN for the past few months I can safely say that they are excellent in some areas and hopeless in others as there’s a lack of communication between the 2.
    At this stage, I’d say it will be sometime in Jan when everything is complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Anyone know Digiweb's general timeline after an order is placed? I sent in their online order form and waiting now for their call back.

I decided to go with the more expensive Digiweb due to the horror stories I read about Eir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 345 ✭✭hmboards

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Anyone know Digiweb's general timeline after an order is placed? I sent in their online order form and waiting now for their call back.

I decided to go with the more expensive Digiweb due to the horror stories I read about Eir.
    It might be quicker to ring them rather than wait for a call back. I placed an order with them over the phone at about 5pm on a Fri eve. I had a text message by 6pm with an install date and time, about 2 weeks from order date. I had a call from OpenEir the day before the scheduled install to confirm it. On the day the engineer didn't make it out (call was postponed at 3pm that day), and rescheduled for two days later. That install went ahead (it was an afternoon install so went into hours of darkness - not easy for the KN guy) and going great so far.
    I had initially ordered with eir. But they cancelled my order without telling me, and when I rang to chase it they told me it wasn't available in my area. Throw in multiple ridiculous excuses. To cut a long story short, one call to DigiWeb and it was all sorted in a matter of minutes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭RoYoBo

I've been offered compensation for my shambolic Eir experience - €100 credit on my account plus a waiving of the contract. I asked for an explanation re the contract waiving. I was told I would have no penalty imposed if I left early.

Now I'm not naive enough to believe that all this is going to work seamlessly, but the the call was recorded and I have dates, times and names. It seems there's no option to get this offer in writing or via email! The proof of the pudding will become evident ... if I ever GET connected!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,973 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Heighway61 wrote: »
    I emailed Digiweb to comment on the fact that they are charging twice what eir are charging and followed up with a second email a couple of days later, but they didn't reply to either.
    They finally replied a week later and after I placed the order :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

OpenEir splicing in my estate today in Dublin!!

Nice to see them tackling the urban areas again with FTTH also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

digiman wrote: »

Interesting! Maybe the rural project is actually on schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

How did you come to that conclusion? - could be just competition in urban areas with virgin and siro, if anything news like that to me would mean the rural areas may be delayed even further. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

....... or they need some numbers added quickly - if they get away with adding them to the 'passed' numbers ....

turbbo wrote: »
    How did you come to that conclusion? - could be just competition in urban areas with virgin and siro, if anything news like that to me would mean the rural areas may be delayed even further. :mad:

I don't see why they would divert manpower from a project which has a fixed deadline with financial penalties if they were very much behind schedule but that is just speculation on my part.
    ....... or they need some numbers added quickly - if they get away with adding them to the 'passed' numbers ....

They should not be getting away with that if the Department are doing due diligence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't see why they would divert manpower from a project which has a fixed deadline with financial penalties if they were very much behind schedule but that is just speculation on my part.

They should not be getting away with that if the Department are doing due diligence.

I know nothing of the location under discussion ....... does it have FTTC? Is it in the 300k?
    I agree they should not get away with it if not already counted in the 300k ..... but we all believe figures get 'massaged' ..... like Naughton claiming/implying the roll-out is part of the NBP!

• Advertisement

How do you propose that the Dept. will do due diligence?
    Unless they all get fired and they hire competent people I don't see that happening!:D

I know nothing of the location under discussion ....... does it have FTTC? Is it in the 300k?
    I agree they should not get away with it if not already counted in the 300k ..... but we all believe figures get 'massaged' ..... like Naughton claiming/implying the roll-out is part of the NBP!

Estate doesn’t have any copper infrastructure what so ever but does already have Virgin Media.

It is definitely not in an NBP area though!!

The PR surrounding the 300k is far more important to Naughten and the Dept. than the nuances of where those 300k connections are made. If they report negatively on Eirs progress it will only reflect badly on them so I can see Eir taking liberties as they have always done.

Estate doesn’t have any copper infrastructure what so ever but does already have Virgin Media.

There you go virgin already there - need I say any more? Easy enough to join the dots. Eir aren't rushing to do an estate that has no alternatives, sure that can wait for the NBP! :D

I don't know the location either but I assume from digiman's post that it is an urban area not included in the 300K. Therefore it would be safe to assume it already has FTTC and perhaps Virgin.
    turbbo wrote: »
    How do you propose that the Dept. will do due diligence?
    Unless they all get fired and they hire competent people I don't see that happening!:D

A few people traveling the country could easily verify if cable is on poles, splice boxes are in place etc in areas claimed as passed. Test orders could be made with suppliers on samples of Eircodes received to see if premises are live.

A few people traveling the country could easily verify if cable is on poles, splice boxes are in place etc in areas claimed as passed. Test orders could be made with suppliers on samples of Eircodes received to see if premises are live.

You can offer your ideas to the dept. i'm sure they'll be happy to ignore them.

No phone lines in any of the homes? Was there pre-existing ducting or are they digging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 219 ✭✭BuzzG

Does anyone have the email address you can contact to be considered for additional to the eir rural fibre roll-out. Remember someone mentioned it before but I did a quick search and can't find it. Pretty sure it was mentioned within this thread. Thank in advance.

BuzzG wrote: »
    Does anyone have the email address you can contact to be considered for additional to the eir rural fibre roll-out. Remember someone mentioned it before but I did a quick search and can't find it. Pretty sure it was mentioned within this thread. Thank in advance.

fibrepower@openeir.ie is the email address for Openeir who are building the network.

• Advertisement

No phone lines in any of the homes? Was there pre-existing ducting or are they digging?

It’s a newish housing estate where the builder would have put ducting in and then Eir sub ducted this.

But no lines to any house currently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

fibrepower@openeir.ie is the email address for Openeir who are building the network.

It might take them a few days to respond, just include your Eircode for the house location.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5 Mayoman93

What are the speeds like for people that have got a 150, 300 or 1000 plan from eir? Are you getting close to that in download on ethernet cable to computer?

Could anyone post speed tests they are getting and what they are using, wifi etc? That would be awesome, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Mayoman93 wrote: »
    What are the speeds like for people that have got a 150, 300 or 1000 plan from eir? Are you getting close to that in download on ethernet cable to computer?

Could anyone post speed tests they are getting and what they are using, wifi etc? That would be awesome, thanks.

https://www.boards.ie/search/submit/?thread=2057499489&query=speedtest

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Mayoman93 wrote: »

Eir 300/50 on ethernet http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/3a5007e6-2f1e-4b04-ba75-23cb15727d4d

On wifi the speeds fall off a cliff within 20 feet of the router. I mostly get 30/48 on wifi speed tests with the F2000 modem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

Gonzo wrote: »
    Eir 300/50 on ethernet http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/d/3a5007e6-2f1e-4b04-ba75-23cb15727d4d

On wifi the speeds fall off a cliff within 20 feet of the router. I mostly get 30/48 on wifi speed tests with the F2000 modem.

That's impressive. We had to get something done to our ducting but it's all sorted now and getting install of the 1000 on Jan 5th. I don't care much for the WiFi as long as its useable, I'll be on ethernet cable for playin my simracing and the like.

• Advertisement

on 300Mb contract. Speed now 287Mbps. speed this morning 270. Quickly fell to 95.
    Same yesterday. Rang Eir tech. Result if you have light...you have fibre. Did the usual switching on/off was still 95.
    Fibre speeds are all over the place. Am not using Eir router....have ASUS router....same Cat5e cables.
    WI-fi speed 40-50Mbs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

bottar1 wrote: »
    That's impressive. We had to get something done to our ducting but it's all sorted now and getting install of the 1000 on Jan 5th. I don't care much for the WiFi as long as its useable, I'll be on ethernet cable for playin my simracing and the like.
    I use homeplug good enough for youtube and netflix and gaming console.

Perhaps Xavier is having an influence already!

https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/key-urban-markets-set-to-become-new-battleground-36425392.html

That article is basically speculation the same speculation that I had. Now we'll see if the dept. falter and not make Eir uphold the rural 300k timeline. The gombeens in full effect.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I think it was only a matter of time before Eir would have to start planning towards upgrading the urban areas to full fibre. Current FTTC is no longer cutting edge, it was only a intermediate step.

It's only a matter of time before Virgin offer 1000 mb to their customers, Siro are making progress in urban towns and I am not sure the upgrade path from FTTC to g.fast would effect all current FTTC customers as the faster speeds really only take effect for customers within 400-500 meters of a cabinet. Eir will completely fall behind again if they don't plan to upgrade all the FTTC areas over the next few years.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement