Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

fritzelly wrote: »
    If it was still a public body we'd likely all be still on 1mb downloads
    :eek: Hope you don't actually believe that!!
    Eircom and Eir have been bought and sold 7/8 times since becoming a private company. How many CEOs has it given golden handshakes too? Whilst concentrating on share price Eircon has underinvested for decades.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Everything about that seems wrong. If it's true that DCCAE wants to reduce the prices that eir charge for access to infrastructure, that's blatantly favouring enet over eir in the NBP process, which is a bit rich considering that eir's prices are already regulated, while enet's are not.

Say what you will about ComReg, they have mechanisms for arriving at their wholesale prices. If DCCAE want to arbitrarily reduce those prices, they will find themselves in the High Court.

Maybe the article is misreading the Department's intentions; I'll reserve further judgement until I know more.

Agreed - Why would the government do something like this to one of the only two bidders for their programme?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 skulluser

Just wondering what happens if you live in a green area but have yellow lines coming in front of the house? guessing no ftth unless it is for rural places outside of an rural town?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

skulluser wrote: »
    Just wondering what happens if you live in a green area but have yellow lines coming in front of the house? guessing no ftth unless it is for rural places outside of an rural town?

in most cases those yellow lines in green areas are just running past on the way to rural homes and you have to wait. Eir don't offer FTTH in areas with FTTC unless your already along the roll-out zone and have low FTTC speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Got a cold call from IFA Telecom. The generally do telephone and Internet deals to IFA members who are mostly farmers like me. They had advertised previously that they would supply FTTC only that this technology isn't common on rural roads. The Salesman said that IFA would be launching on to the ftth services shortly. I already have ftth from Eir since last October. I live in the Inch St. Lawernce area in Co. Limerick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

6 KN, Eir, Defusion vans at the camogie field Bouladuff Thurles. I assume they are doing Borrisoleigh exchange now? Although no new poles yet between Borrisoleigh and Bouladuff

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Passatb7

6 KN, Eir, Defusion vans at the camogie field Bouladuff Thurles. I assume they are doing Borrisoleigh exchange now? Although no new poles yet between Borrisoleigh and Bouladuff

Crews were also pulling cable through ducts yesterday afternoon on Nenagh side of Borrisoleigh.Kn van marked pole with letter L at end of yellow line outside my house today on rural backroad.

• So in my area they apparently got the labeling wrong on some of the exchange points and that's why they didn't connect me.
    The KN group contractors ran as soon as they spotted the incorrect label.

There were open eir guys working on the this yesterday and I spoke with the guy. He said they corrected it and provided me the number.

Has this happened to anyone else? My order is still open.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Openeir have released a video to explain to customers what to expect on the day of installation.

https://vimeo.com/agtel/review/252751321/e305f5c8b7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Openeir have released a video to explain to customers what to expect on the day of installation.

https://vimeo.com/agtel/review/252751321/e305f5c8b7

3:57 into the video - suggests the ONT converts to DSL/VDSL? That can't be right?

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    3:57 into the video - suggests the ONT converts to DSL/VDSL? That can't be right?

No it's completely wrong. The ONT converts light to ethernet. You would think they might proof watch their videos.

No it's completely wrong. The ONT converts light to ethernet. You would think they might proof watch their videos.

Yeah "light to DSL" was a weak point - lol. Proves their PR dept. needs a kicking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

turbbo wrote: »
    Yeah "light to DSL" was a weak point - lol. Proves their PR dept. needs a kicking.

Not only that but it shows the ignorance of basic principles from those who are supposed to know about this.

Not only that but it shows the ignorance of basic principles from those who are supposed to know about this.

Arra sure aren't they doing a great job connecting the chunthry folks to the intherwebs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 fergoc

• Advertisement

fergoc wrote: »

Wow so SR just steals news from the independent - interesting - or did Eir just ring all the news outlets to tell them that they were thinking about pulling out?

Then they have a line like this "The decision by the incumbent operator will be a huge blow to the prestige of the project which could have been a flagship for resolving European broadband connectivity problems in rural areas."

Never knew Eir were rolling out fibre to all of europe? Would have thought the country that by far the worst off for broadband would be ireland, so asking Eir to show Europe how it's done is a bit rich.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

This is already being discussed on the 'NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced' thread but, I'd hope that with Eir maybe dropping out they might look at the plan again and others will be interested like ESB/Siro - but for the love of jasus don't allow 'wireless solutions'

This is already being discussed on the 'NBP: National Broadband Plan Announced' thread but, I'd hope that with Eir maybe dropping out they might look at the plan again and others will be interested like ESB/Siro - but for the love of jasus don't allow 'wireless solutions'

They love wireless don't they.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Wow so SR just steals news from the independent - interesting - or did Eir just ring all the news outlets to tell them that they were thinking about pulling out?.

SR is more like a news aggregator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Danny Boy

What now for the 300k - will they finish it?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Danny Boy wrote: »

They kinda have to finish the areas started. As for areas with not a spade in the ground, who knows.

I really didn't see this coming tho, I thought Eir were really gunning to win the whole NBP.

In my own opinion I don't believe that they will. I think many of the areas planned were predicated on them receiving subsidies from the Government in the form of the NBP. That is obviously now off the table.

In my own opinion I don't believe that they will. I think many of the areas planned were predicated on them receiving subsidies from the Government in the form of the NBP. That is obviously now off the table.

In fairness they hadn't a snowballs chance of finishing the 300k by eoy 2018 anyways, that was obvious after a few months of publishing the plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Gonzo wrote: »
    They kinda have to finish the areas started. As for areas with not a spade in the ground, who knows.

I really didn't see this coming tho, I thought Eir were really gunning to win the whole NBP.

Nor I ....... the new owners were the change I did not see coming, and their 'about face' on the rural roll out.

There is also the possibility that take-up for the service in areas where they have deployed has not been what they expected so they have decided to cut their losses as it were. This is just speculation on my part though.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I guess we can take the whole "we want to build a better relationship with government and regulators" rhetoric from the new owners as nothing more than hot air, so.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,822 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

There is also the possibility that take-up for the service in areas where they have deployed has not been what they expected so they have decided to cut their losses as it were. This is just speculation on my part though.

From what I've seen, uptake in rural FTTH areas is dramatically higher than urban. Urban users don't see any particular advantage in moving from VDSL.

From what I've seen, uptake in rural FTTH areas is dramatically higher than urban. Urban users don't see any particular advantage in moving from VDSL.

uptake has been great in my area so far. The options are 55 a month for 150 /30 FTTH or 45-55 for 2 to 8 meg DSL and similar pricing for wireless dongles. I've even seen some of the senior households (70+) swap their DSL over to FTTH. The only homes not switched over at this stage are homes who just don't really use the internet for much. Nearly all homes with a family and kids have both the copper and fibre wires running side by side from pole to roof.

I would have expected that but yet they seem to be convinced that ROI is greater in urban areas.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Beaten to it

Thank goodness - gonna crack open a beer this evening!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Thank Christ, poles being replaced in my area this week, I think Id cry if I got this close and it was pulled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

The problem with that is that the map would revert back to something close to the original map, Eir would have formally renounced commercial ambitions in those areas, and the Government would be fully entitled to ask SIRO back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

I wouldn’t put much faith in that and that’s no disrespect meant to Adrian Weckler either.

KOR101 wrote: »
    The problem with that is that the map would revert back to something close to the original map, Eir would have formally renounced commercial ambitions in those areas, and the Government would be fully entitled to ask SIRO back in.

Eir have confirmed they are completing the 300k.

digiman wrote: »
    I wouldn’t put much faith in that and that’s no disrespect meant to Adrian Weckler either.

I suppose it remains to be seen - however it's still better to hear that than "we're not completing the 300k"
    Don't forget the 300k are the low hanging fruit.

I think Eir themselves should make a statement about their withdraw from the NBP and also state if they really are going to finish every home in the 300k rollout.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

Eir have confirmed they are completing the 300k.
    I think Eir themselves should make a statement about their withdraw from the NBP and also state if they really are going to finish every home in the 300k rollout.

Apologies for the multi-quotes :)

My exchange is down for "the first half of 2018 " on the Rural exchange timeline , and "Spring / Summer " on the roll out maps .

I emailed openeir the other day and they replied saying I should have fibre available in June .

It's tantalizingly close , I'll be keeping an even closer eye on this thread ( and keeping my fingers crossed )

They replaced a load of poles in my area about 6 months ago and were recently checking the top of others / clearing some ivy / branches

eir statement here claims they are committed to completing the 300k project.

https://www.eir.ie/pressroom/eir-Withdraws-from-NBP/
    eir also remains fully committed to completing the rollout of high speed broadband in rural Ireland through the commitment contract it signed with the Government in April 2017 to deliver speeds of up to 1,000Mb/s to 300,000 rural homes and businesses. Upon completion, 80% of premises in Ireland will have access to high speed broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 957 ✭✭✭ninja 12

It's good to hear but I'm still not going to uncross my fingers until I've got a fibre cable coming from the pole outside my house and a fibre router installed :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Didn't take long from this announcement
    Wonder what eNet are thinkingp

Eric walks into a brothel looking for some action and he goes up to the madame and asks,
    “Hey, can I get a piece from one of your fine ladies you’ve got here?”
    “Sorry sir,” the madame answers, “We are all full.”
    “Ahh, please I really need some action!”
    And the madame answers again, ”OK then, there is one girl left but when you go meet her you have to wear this black condom.”
    “Whatever,” Eric answers quickly and climbs fast the stairs.
    Several hours later Eric comes down and says ”Wow, that was great. She didn’t even make any noise.
    But why did I have to wear the black condom?”

And the madame answers, “Respect for the dead.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

That good new feel bad for the poor people stuck waiting on NBP stuck in limbo not knowing when they get fast broadband and which technology enet going to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

Sickened. Exchange going live where I live on the 7th according to map, 1gb ftth. I live 450/500 yards from the exchange and they put my area on the NBP. A house 30 yards from my place will be getting ftth and and the nbp starts then. Madness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Siro will not go next or near the NBS. Eircom took out those 300k premises for a reason. It was to retain their monopoly. They have none in urban areas. ESB has the infrastructure (ie electricity poles) to bring broadband to every house in the country.

Which would you rather be with?

A communications company that sells broadband to elders that don’t even have a computer, takes days to weeks to repair faults, falling rotted (mostly 40+ year telegraph) poles and rude condescending customer service agents, overcharging customer and having to fight them for weeks to a refund

Or

A state owned company that has gone out in all weathers to reconnect it’s customers ASAP. That constantly upgrades it infrastructure (poles etc) trims trees, has excellent polite customer service agents (although I assume Vodafone would be covering this area, never had problems with their CS)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

A cousin of mine lives near the village of Glaslough in north Monaghan.

Although FTTH was laid all around them his Road wasn’t on the rollout plan.

When he rang up about the possibility of getting it they initially said that it’s not a possibility and it would be taken care of in the NBP.

Recently they inquired again and this time the response has changed. Now the stance is that because he’s within 5 poles of where the fibre has been ran he is eligible and can order it.

I don’t know if this has anything to do with Eir pulling out of the NBP or why the change of heart..

Has anyone else been advised this?

My girlfriends folks gaff is in a similar situation, about 300 metres from where the fibre is due to stop so I must get them to inquire also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Who's telling him that he's within 5 poles? Does he now have it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NeoRox wrote: »
    Sickened. Exchange going live where I live on the 7th according to map, 1gb ftth. I live 450/500 yards from the exchange and they put my area on the NBP. A house 30 yards from my place will be getting ftth and and the nbp starts then. Madness.

Are you sure thats not rural 300K? Normally the first 3-5km from each exchange is commercial.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement