Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭NeoRox

ED E wrote: »
    Are you sure thats not rural 300K? Normally the first 3-5km from each exchange is commercial.

Yep I'm sure. Contacted the nbp through government site, contacted TD who sprouted the line eir gave him to be straight from one of their press releases. No joy unless something changes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Are you sure thats not rural 300K? Normally the first 3-5km from each exchange is commercial.

Depends which direction you are going

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

fritzelly wrote: »
    Depends which direction you are going

Indeed but it would be quite unusual for somewhere within 500m to not be commercial in any direction unless they're already over 30Mb with eVDSL or eVDSL is pending.

NeoRox wrote: »
    Yep I'm sure. Contacted the nbp through government site, contacted TD who sprouted the line eir gave him to be straight from one of their press releases. No joy unless something changes.

Are you currently ADSL only? Big enough village for a 200 port VDSL rack?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭mikeecho

My local exchange was upgraded, and the immediate locality has FTC, the surrounding area (me) is/was due to get FTH.

Yet, I haven't seen any KN vans around lately, and I haven't seen any fiber being hung on poles.

This latest news doesn't bode well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

mikeecho wrote: »
    My local exchange was upgraded, and the immediate locality has FTC, the surrounding area (me) is/was due to get FTH.

Yet, I haven't seen any KN vans around lately, and I haven't seen any fiber being hung on poles.

This latest news doesn't bode well.

You probably won’t see then for a while. They’re extremely busy. Nbp withdrawal has nothing to do with rural 300k.

You probably won’t see then for a while. They’re extremely busy. Nbp withdrawal has nothing to do with rural 300k.

Excuse my ignorance, but how do I know if I'm R3K or NMP ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

mikeecho wrote: »
    Excuse my ignorance, but how do I know if I'm R3K or NMP ?

Fibrerollout.ie enter your eircode or check the map. Broadband.gov.ie will also tell you if your commercial 300k or NBP

Fibrerollout.ie enter your eircode or check the map. Broadband.gov.ie will also tell you if your commercial 300k or NBP

Eircode XYZ123 is in the LIGHT BLUE AREA
    Your premises is in the commercial planned deployment area that will be covered on a commercial basis. For further information on rollout in your area go to http://fibrerollout.ie/

Ok.. good news for me

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Sickened. Exchange going live where I live on the 7th according to map, 1gb ftth. I live 450/500 yards from the exchange and they put my area on the NBP. A house 30 yards from my place will be getting ftth and and the nbp starts then. Madness.

Same boat here, rural rollout passing my door, but I’m in the NBP. House next door will be connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭mcquaim

fritzelly wrote: »
    Who's telling him that he's within 5 poles? Does he now have it?

He rang Eir apparently and the stance now is that if you’re within 5 poles from where it’s available you can order it.

He has ordered it but the fibre still has to be ran on the poles down to his house. When this will happen I’m not sure and now with Eir pulling out of the rural Broadband plan I’m sure he’s sweating that he’ll still get it..

• Advertisement

Indeed but it would be quite unusual for somewhere within 500m to not be commercial in any direction unless they're already over 30Mb with eVDSL or eVDSL is pending.

Are you currently ADSL only? Big enough village for a 200 port VDSL rack?

@Ed E might be something like my own situation, where the 300 rollout starts next door to me, yet I'm not connected to a cabinet either, and I fell into the NBP, as did all the other houses on the side of the road. Some of these houses are barely 5m from where the new fibre will be run past their door.

It hardly makes sense to not connect them on the way past, unless they were awaiting a subsidy. Yet these homes are supposedly "Hard to reach?"

The whole town seems to have a strange setup - lots of homes being bypassed, right next door to poles passing by to go further out.

I guess now if air are passing the door, and they aren't counting on receiving subsidies for those homes, as they are so easy to connect, they could hoover them up, and leave less easy ones fore net down the line also, and have a two year head start on call charges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi guys,

Sorry for the simple question here but Fibre is going past my house and expected to go live on the 7th Feb, There is a black box on the pole left and right on the road(around 65 meters either way), Years ago we had eircom but cancelled it so have a copper wire going into the house still.

When we request eir to install fibre into our house. Will it be new fibre wire going directly with the old copper wire into the house or will the copper wire just connect directly to the fibre on the road?

Just want to get a grasp of what price i could be paying if im looking at FTTH or FTTC.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Sorry for the simple question here but Fibre is going past my house and expected to go live on the 7th Feb, There is a black box on the pole left and right on the road(around 65 meters either way), Years ago we had eircom but cancelled it so have a copper wire going into the house still.

When we request eir to install fibre into our house. Will it be new fibre wire going directly with the old copper wire into the house or will the copper wire just connect directly to the fibre on the road?

Just want to get a grasp of what price i could be paying if im looking at FTTH or FTTC.

It is FTTH so a new cable in to your home. They will leave the current copper cable but it plays no part.

As of today the cheapest bundle eir are offering is 150Mb / 30mb with unlimited National, Mobile and UK calls @ €45 for 6 months then €50 for 6 months on a 12 month contract. Then it goes to €81 after 12 months so you may want to switch after 12 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

7019756190.png

Geevagh, Co. Sligo.

/M

AidenL wrote: »
    @Ed E might be something like my own situation, where the 300 rollout starts next door to me, yet I'm not connected to a cabinet either, and I fell into the NBP, as did all the other houses on the side of the road. Some of these houses are barely 5m from where the new fibre will be run past their door.

It hardly makes sense to not connect them on the way past, unless they were awaiting a subsidy. Yet these homes are supposedly "Hard to reach?"

The whole town seems to have a strange setup - lots of homes being bypassed, right next door to poles passing by to go further out.

I guess now if air are passing the door, and they aren't counting on receiving subsidies for those homes, as they are so easy to connect, they could hoover them up, and leave less easy ones fore net down the line also, and have a two year head start on call charges.

440373.png
    440372.png
    XPZivtG.png

Looks normal to me? 3 VDSL DSLAMS cover the core, FTTH covers the long range, NBP covers the ultra long range. Your individual home might be a bit of a blip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,338 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

hi all, hope its ok to post here from sunny dalkey, but anyway just had our Eir FTTH installed, 300mb line.

i have some (stupid im sure) questions.

I dont want to use the modem as my wireless router.

I have the connection for Eir coming into a comms cabinet in my utility, so plan is:

plug it into the modem, plug modem into a switch, distribute over cat 6 to 3 unifi APs around the house / garden, login to the modem and disable the wireless broadcasting.

does that sound sensible, i presume i cant ditch the modem totally?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

I live up the road

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPDDve4NuZ24ZZrdXrbnTdTLuoivKXvyEaUCEkjKZn0zVGgEAmDQ

Could it be your distance from the road that made them leave you out?

Cyrus wrote: »
    hi all, hope its ok to post here from sunny dalkey, but anyway just had our Eir FTTH installed, 300mb line.

i have some (stupid im sure) questions.

I dont want to use the modem as my wireless router.

I have the connection for Eir coming into a comms cabinet in my utility, so plan is:

plug it into the modem, plug modem into a switch, distribute over cat 6 to 3 unifi APs around the house / garden, login to the modem and disable the wireless broadcasting.

does that sound sensible, i presume i cant ditch the modem totally?

If by modem you mean the Huawei F2000 then what you suggest should work fine. You could replace the F2000 with another router if you wished but there is no need to in your case.

I live up the road

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRPDDve4NuZ24ZZrdXrbnTdTLuoivKXvyEaUCEkjKZn0zVGgEAmDQ

Could it be your distance from the road that made them leave you out?
    I don't think so, as all the other houses closer to town are left out also?

• Advertisement

XPZivtG.png

Looks normal to me? 3 VDSL DSLAMS cover the core, FTTH covers the long range, NBP covers the ultra long range. Your individual home might be a bit of a blip.

I have 7 megs down at the 2km range, but 75% of the houses back towards town on that road aren't even connected by FFTC? Any reason why all the houses within the 2m range isn't on the cabinet, or the 300k rural rollout though? Wouldn't it be normal to connect all houses, not just mine, in between the markets to FFTH? Yet its only from the junction where the roads split, outwards which is getting FFTH. I cant comprehend why the 20ish houses in the middle aren't getting FFTH.

Its an oddball one alright it seems, not the norm?

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

If by modem you mean the Huawei F2000 then what you suggest should work fine. You could replace the F2000 with another router if you wished but there is no need to in your case.

What realistic wireless speed can you get from that router? If you were not connecting via lan what would be the max speed package you should get?

I don't think so, as all the other houses closer to town are left out also?

They probably get FTTC, I dont think people on FTTC are getting FTTH. I think FTTC is limited to 1.5km from the cabinet and thats just about where you are from the cabinet at assaroe view.

would replacing it with something like this:

a) work
    and

b) be of any tangible benefit?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-Edgerouter-ERLITE-3-Desktop-Router/dp/B00HXT8EKE/ref=as_li_ss_tl?tag=cupcre-21&ie=UTF8&qid=1487198915&sr=8-1&keywords=edgerouter

They probably get FTTC so they dont get FTTH. I think FTTC is limited to 1.5km from the cabinet and thats just about where you are from the cabinet at assaroe view.

I stalked a few of the neighbours phone numbers who live closer to town a while back, and I think they aren't on the cabinet though? This was 4 months or so ago, maybe they are now.

When I check my number I get the usual fibre is in your area but you haven't been enabled yet. I knew I was at the outer limits. My house literally seems to have fallen between the cracks of the plans !

I stalked a few of the neighbours phone numbers who live closer to town a while back, and I think they aren't on the cabinet though? This was 4 months or so ago, maybe they are now.

Yeh you see when I check mine I dont get that so it looks like you are hypothetically in the FTTC
    Broadband with speed up to 5Mb/s is available at your address. Broadband is available from the following service providers listed here.

Great news! Your premises is on open eir’s rural fibre rollout programme offering speed of between 30Mb/s and 1000Mb/s. We estimate fibre service will be live in your area during the first half of 2018.
    Fibre to the Home is not currently available at this address We checked F94 XXXX.Not your eircode? Start again

When I check my number I get the usual fibre is in your area but you haven't been enabled yet. I knew I was at the outer limits. My house literally seems to have fallen between the cracks of the plans !

Yeh I guess you just have to hope that when they start connecting people they include you when they realise how close you are to the next house and connect you up.

• Advertisement

Yeh I guess you just have to hope that when they start connecting people they include you when they realise how close you are to the next house

Its a fingers crossed situation yep.

a) Yes it will work.

b) It depends on how interested you are in networking really. The Edgerouter would allow you much more granular control of your network. There might be a bit of a learning curve involved though.

https://m.geekzone.co.nz/Forums/66/Topic/205740

is a setup guide that should be applicable to our FTTH connections.

a) Yes it will work.

b) It depends on how interested you are in networking really. The Edgerouter would allow you much more granular control of your network. There might be a bit of a learning curve involved though.

thanks a lot, so basically i would plug the ethernet cable directly into this and discard the eir modem completely? and work from there...

KellyXX wrote: »
    What realistic wireless speed can you get from that router? If you were not connecting via lan what would be the max speed package you should get?

I have an Nvidia Shield tablet and it tops out at about 130Mb on the 5Ghz. I've seen over 200Mb on a friend's iPhone 8 again on 5Ghz. Whether a newer device would get over 300Mb I'm not sure.

thanks a lot, so basically i would plug the ethernet cable directly into this and discard the eir modem completely? and work from there...

That is correct.

• Advertisement

They probably get FTTC, I dont think people on FTTC are getting FTTH. I think FTTC is limited to 1.5km from the cabinet and thats just about where you are from the cabinet at assaroe view.

Just did a quick check - seems the FTTC stops halfway out the road top of the hill as you come past the ESB station. No houses have fibre access after that point. According to the eir number checker anyway. And they are all tagged in amber for the NBP also

With a bit of luck, they might link up all the houses from that point out, fingers crossed.

Cyrus I forgot to mention. If you are using the eir VoIP phone system (your analogue phone plugged into the F2000) then by replacing the eir supplied router you are likely to lose the phone service. Just something to be aware of before you purchase a new device.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭KellyXX

I have an Nvidia Shield tablet and it tops out at about 130Mb on the 5Ghz. I've seen over 200Mb on a friend's iPhone 8 again on 5Ghz. Whether a newer device would get over 300Mb I'm not sure.

Thanks for that
    Definitely no point getting the 1000 Meg package then unless you are wired into the router.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

a) Yes it will work.

just out of interest, I saw this speedtest result from that New Zealand forum and spot what looks like Gpon FTTH speed maxed out as much it will go. Looks like they offer 1000/450.

I wonder how many year's will we have to wait for Eir to start offering uploads this fast!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/5824017666.png

Gonzo wrote: »
    just out of interest, I saw this speedtest result from that New Zealand forum and spot what looks like Gpon FTTH speed maxed out as much it will go. Looks like they offer 1000/450.

I wonder how many year's will we have to wait for Eir to start offering uploads this fast!

https://www.speedtest.net/result/5824017666.png

They have this disclaimer on their sign-up page:
    Our network engineers have suggested that the fastest a customer with good equipment on a wired connection should expect from Gigabit is around 600 Mbps download / 400 Mbps upload (although it’s certainly possible that some connections will be faster.) This is likely the case for other ISPs, not just Bigpipe. Don’t worry – this is still very fast!

https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/sign-up

About €76 a month.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

They have this disclaimer on their sign-up page:

https://www.bigpipe.co.nz/sign-up

About €76 a month.

there services are also completely unrestricted, none of this fair usage caps or hidden data penalties. The top pack estimates download speeds up to 900 Mbps and upload speeds up to 500 Mbps.

Roughly an extra 10 euros compared to what I'm paying for 300/50/1tb data cap. It's still an expensive product in New Zealand but it's far more balanced and fair!. I would easily pay an extra 10 euros for a service such as that in Ireland.

I have 7 megs down at the 2km range, but 75% of the houses back towards town on that road aren't even connected by FFTC? Any reason why all the houses within the 2m range isn't on the cabinet, or the 300k rural rollout though? Wouldn't it be normal to connect all houses, not just mine, in between the markets to FFTH? Yet its only from the junction where the roads split, outwards which is getting FFTH. I cant comprehend why the 20ish houses in the middle aren't getting FFTH.

Its an oddball one alright it seems, not the norm?

Have you tried their numbers recently on the checker? #7 Knader Road is 90Mb as expected, further out they dont have unique addresses so finding out is tricky but their phone numbers will tell you instantly.

7Mb for you is expected, but those 300-400m closer to town should be doing significantly better.

Gonzo wrote: »

OpenEIR isn't really that interested. You can see this by comparing OpenEIR/SIRO, which use the same FTTH platform.

OpenEIR: 150/30, 300/50, 1000/100
    SIRO: 150/30, 350/70, 600/120, 1000/200 ... well .. and SIRO are testing symmetric products already, but for biz.

See the picture ? OpenEIR could have gone with bigger uploads .. they're not really that pushed.

Having said that, OpenEIR are looking into new profiles for the 2nd half of 2018 (if approved by Comreg, yada yada yada) ... but they're more in the lower end.

/M

Have you tried their numbers recently on the checker? #7 Knader Road is 90Mb as expected, further out they dont have unique addresses so finding out is tricky but their phone numbers will tell you instantly.

7Mb for you is expected, but those 300-400m closer to town should be doing significantly better.

Ed, yep, if you see the red dot, theres fibre enabled up to that point, I checked the neighbours numbers both sides of that point. The house at the red dot shows 90mb available, the house next door shows 5mb available, and it says fibre hasn't reached your address yet?? When I use the number checker, it says no FTTC for me either.

If you look at the homes to the right of the red dot, they actually are showing 5 and 6mb down on the number checker in general, even lower than I get at my address. The red dot is approx 1k from my house, about 0.6km from the nearest cabinet serving the Knader.

Could be direct fed (bypasses the cabinet) but if so the NBP map is wrong and will need eventual updating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

Well well.
    Had my first failed install today.
    I hadn't even told the kids it was coming, and kept saying to myself it'll never happen.

Doorbell rang at 9:20 and there was a guy from KN standing there.

I started to believe!

Fekkin gutted :mad:

niallb wrote: »
    Well well.
    I hadn't even told the kids it was coming, and kept saying to myself it'll never happen.

I started to believe!

What was the issue? Ducting?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Well well.

I started to believe!

The first visit is now referred to as a survey, if everything is in order then the install will happen

Could be direct fed (bypasses the cabinet) but if so the NBP map is wrong and will need eventual updating.
    Updating in what way?

Would that, could that change the outcome for the bunch of homes I'm included in would you think?

Well well.

I started to believe!

you can only temporarily fail due to blocked ducts or tree's in the way. But that's not really a proper fail because you can get those cleared or the tree's trimmed then arrange for another install. It's extra effort and expense but totally worth it at the end of the day for the connection you'll get. The worst thing to do is just give up and carry on using a dongle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,750 ✭✭✭niallb

What was the issue? Ducting?
    Nope. I had the house prepared and pre drilled from the gable end.
    He'd have had only 1m of fiber to run inside the house!
    He couldn't find where the fiber was coming from, and someone on the phone told him there was no fiber at all on this side of the main road.
    My Eircode matches up to a splice box, and I was also told they'll put in for planning permission to erect another pole to get it across the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Similar to niallb, but almost there.....turns out the pole with the splice box on it isn't connected to the next pole on the road - which happens to be the one from which my duct runs!

Anyway the KN lads were very helpful and we're looking at a way to get it run from the (further away) pole with the splice box.

Seemingly there's more trouble coming from the other side (which our pole IS connected to but not with fiber yet) with lots of trees on people's properties to be cut back.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Alangers

So second attempt at install FTTH today. First time the KN guy ran the cable to the house before testing the box on the pole (he was waiting for a van with a lift) so did all the cabling first. Then found the box was dead. Waited 1 week got a call from eir to say it was all ready to go. Appt made for 2 weeks time (today) and exact same issue - no light in DP box... ffs. The KN Guy was very apologetic but now I’ll have to take a third break from work to get it flipping installled And who knows if it will work the next time. Signed up before Christmas - looks like it will be Christmas before it’s working!!

Bad news for those expecting Sky or Vodafone on the platform. "It is too expensive" they say.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/technology/news/high-prices-force-firms-to-boycott-eirs-rural-network-36558816.html?

• Advertisement

Bad news for those expecting Sky or Vodafone on the platform. "It is too expensive" they say.

https://amp.independent.ie/business/technology/news/high-prices-force-firms-to-boycott-eirs-rural-network-36558816.html?

Thats pretty accurate. Especially when you also ask OpenEIR to haul the traffic back to you, instead of picking it up locally.

Their base line rental is a good bit higher than for example SIRO.

Especially the installation pricing. OpenEIR is more than 3 times for FTTH of what SIRO charges their wholesale partners.

Also .. the mention of schools is hilarious. I know of a few schools, where the FTTH supply stops 500m'ish before the school.

/M

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement