Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

irishfeen wrote: »
    Yep, on the Mallow road - I would have presumed they would run the core from Donoughmore but you probably are right and they will run it from Dromahane.

I presume though that if they are using the poles for the core network that we would still might have a chance as they could do the 2 in the one go perhaps?

You were right. I just checked and Bweeng is due to be fed from Blarney which I presume would be through Donoughmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

You were right. I just checked and Bweeng is due to be fed from Blarney which I presume would be through Donoughmore.
    The only real reason I had always thought it would come from the south (Blarney/Donoughmore) is because we are among the very last houses in the 021 Cork area code.

There must have been a reason Bweeng historically was not linked to Mallow town via Dromahane. I do know from talking to my father that this area took absolutely ages to get a phone line in the first place.

I got the letter from eir saying that my bundle was going up by €6 per month. After the 12 months the 300Mb with calls will be €89. I reckon I'll be switching to a broadband only package with another supplier after the year is up.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I got the letter from eir saying that my bundle was going up by €6 per month. After the 12 months the 300Mb with calls will be €89. I reckon I'll be switching to a broadband only package with another supplier after the year is up.

my 12 months is up in April, seriously considering switching to Digiweb in May now that Vodafone and Sky may never be available on the network. I may even enquire about Digiweb's fair usage policy to see if there is any movement on increasing it during 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,679 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

VM even after the promotion is only 64 a month (for 360mb). That's some markup by eir but they all seem to be doing it after the promo period.
    Cannot see why it costs so much more with eir et al for basically the same service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The letters, I've seen, state that you can break contract before a certain date because they are raising the price, disregardless when your contract is up originally.

That should be the case anyhow.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    The letters, I've seen, state that you can break contract before a certain date because they are raising the price, disregardless when your contract is up originally.

/M

I could break it alright but I'd lose the €100 that they gave me (in credit) for breaking my Imagine contract. Plus it is still "only" €69 per month for the remaining nine months.

fritzelly wrote: »
    VM even after the promotion is only 64 a month (for 360mb). That's some markup by eir but they all seem to be doing it after the promo period.
    Cannot see why it costs so much more with eir et al for basically the same service

It makes no sense. Especially with their fair use policy and charge for going over.

The reason is more likely, that they're now desperate for recouping the 300-500 EUR they forked out with free installation and buy-out from other providers (per customer).

That cost is the reason, that all other providers can't/won't offer free installation .. if it's a new OpenEIR connection.

/M

I could break it alright but I'd lose the €100 that they gave me (in credit) for breaking my Imagine contract. Plus it is still "only" €69 per month for the remaining nine months.

Oh .. they do recoup the credit, if you exit early ? Cheeky.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭thehorse

/M

Yeah, I got a letter from eir too about the price hike. I can cancel the contract at no cost but now that fibre is only a few weeks away, I’ll stay put.

Is it true that only eir can sell FTTH ?.....they say that only Eir can sell the 150/300/1000mb packages

/M

Yeah it is in the T&C's.

It makes no sense. Especially with their fair use policy and charge for going over.

The reason is more likely, that they're now desperate for recouping the 300-500 EUR they forked out with free installation and buy-out from other providers (per customer).

That cost is the reason, that all other providers can't/won't offer free installation .. if it's a new OpenEIR connection.

/M

You're the man in the know...
    How does it work if eir pay for the installation and year later you change providers? Is it tough luck eir you paid for the installation and the new company you move to gets your business with no outlay on their part?

thehorse wrote: »
    Yeah, I got a letter from eir too about the price hike. I can cancel the contract at no cost but now that fibre is only a few weeks away, I’ll stay put.

Is it true that only eir can sell FTTH ?.....they say that only Eir can sell the 150/300/1000mb packages

No. 8 providers with the FTTH icon on OpenEIR sell FTTH on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Saying that only Eir can sell FTTH would be an outright lie !

/M

/M

Not really - you are exiting the contract early, would be the same for any company

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Who says that? Is it in the letter from eir?

• Advertisement

No. Other suppliers can sell it. You'd need to do some sums to work out which of them are cheapest for the first year. eir probably are still cheapest though for the first 12 months.

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (green home icons)

No. 8 providers with the FTTH icon on OpenEIR sell FTTH on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/

Saying that only Eir can sell FTTH would be an outright lie !

/M

Probably getting confused with the fact that in some areas there are no other providers offering it

No!!, other suppliers can sell it.

Correct that for you :)

/M

Correct that for you :)

/M

Good point! Sorry.

Just as a point of clarification. Is the €270 access fee Openeir charge only for brand new FTTH connections? If there is cable and ODP in place is there any fee to be paid by an ISP to Openeir?

• Advertisement

No. Other suppliers can sell it. You'd need to do some sums to work out which of them are cheapest for the first year. eir probably are still cheapest though for the first 12 months.

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ (green home icons)

Ok thanks. Eir told me that.
    My understanding is that sky and Vodafone can only sell the FTTC product, which is up to 100mb.
    I’ve asked a Vodafone rep i know and he said eir have exclusivity on FTTH for the first 6-9 months after it goes live.
    Again, I’m only saying what I have been told.

My understanding is that sky and Vodafone can only sell the FTTC product, which is up to 100mb.
    I’ve asked a Vodafone rep i know and he said eir have exclusivity on FTTH for the first 6-9 months after it goes live.
    Again, I’m only saying what I have been told.

Lies. Any of the suppliers in the previous link can sell it to you. Sky and Vodafone are boycotting the network as they say eir are charging too much.

Lies. Any of the suppliers in the previous link can sell it to you. Sky and Vodafone are boycotting the network as they say eir are charging too much.

That’s good to know, thanks a mill

Just as a point of clarification. Is the €270 access fee Openeir charge only for brand new FTTH connections? If there is cable and ODP in place is there any fee to be paid by an ISP to Openeir?

It's 270+vat. And it's just for new lines. Changing providers, where an existing line is in place cost nowhere near that.

/M

It's 270+vat. And it's just for new lines. Changing providers, where an existing line is in place cost nowhere near that.

/M

Thanks. Surely then when there is a critical mass of existing connections Sky at least will come on board as they did with the FTTC product. I'm still unsure about Vodafone given their links with Siro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Three or more of my neighbours have FTTH installed, all from the same pole that the copper cable runs to my house. In September I had an Eir sales guy call to sign me up. Provisional install 10/10. Guy called, couldn't carry out the job cause trees needed cutting. Date pushed out to 11/11. More guys called couldn't carry out the job cause heavier gear was needed to sort out the trees. Date pushed out to 08/12. No show , when I contacted Eir customer service they said after an engineers inspection there was an issue '?' Date now sometime in January. No show again. When contacted they said date was now providionally set for March. Some joke.

Three or more of my neighbours have FTTH installed, all from the same pole that the copper cable runs to my house. In September I had an Eir sales guy call to sign me up. Provisional install 10/10. Guy called, couldn't carry out the job cause trees needed cutting. Date pushed out to 11/11. More guys called couldn't carry out the job cause heavier gear was needed to sort out the trees. Date pushed out to 08/12. No show , when I contacted Eir customer service they said after an engineers inspection there was an issue '?' Date now sometime in January. No show again. When contacted they said date was now providionally set for March. Some joke.

Sounds like a tree surgeon/arborist needed more than a little trimming which is what they will do them themselves

Sorry to labour the point, but: did eir tell you that in the letter advising you of the price increase, or did an eir sales rep tell you?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Sorry to labour the point, but: did eir tell you that in the letter advising you of the price increase, or did an eir sales rep tell you?

Eir told me and also a Vodafone person I know.

It’s looks like all BS , I’m just trying to get clarity which I got last night from other posters on this thread

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I got the letter from Eir too. Brass neck on them, not even Sky TV hike their prices that much in one go. They prefer the death of a thousand €2 increases.

Problem for me is that I don't have fibre yet. It's due "first half of 2018" but that could be any time. So no sense in me changing suppliers now given that I'd probably be shopping around for a new supplier in a few months anyway.

Just need to find out when my Eir contract is up though. I think you only get until March to break the contract without charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Just for the record, by way of an update...

I too got the letter from Eir mid-Jan about the price increase, informing me that I had a month to cancel my contract without penalty. So I did!

Changed to Digiweb - the switchover was pretty-much seamless and happened within a week. Have a much better Fritz!Box router, ditched the old copper line phone connection and have to say their call centre staff are a pleasure to deal with - polite, helpful, go the extra mile.

So, I had FTTH from Eir for less than 5 months - they paid for the installation, offered me initial discounts, then had the cheek to up my charge so that after 6 months it was going to be significantly higher then their rivals. They gave me a get-out-of-jail-free card from my 12-mo contract and have lost me to a rival! Their loss! :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Gwynston wrote: »
    Just for the record, by way of an update...

I too got the letter from Eir mid-Jan about the price increase, informing me that I had a month to cancel my contract without penalty. So I did!

Changed to Digiweb - the switchover was pretty-much seamless and happened within a week. Have a much better Fritz!Box router, ditched the old copper line phone connection and have to say their call centre staff are a pleasure to deal with - polite, helpful, go the extra mile.

So, I had FTTH from Eir for less than 5 months - they paid for the installation, offered me initial discounts, then had the cheek to up my charge so that after 6 months it was going to be significantly higher then their rivals. They gave me a get-out-of-jail-free card from my 12-mo contract and have lost me to a rival! Their loss! :rolleyes:

what are you speeds and pings like with Digiweb compared to Eir? Thinking of switching to Digiweb myself over the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Gwynston

Gonzo wrote: »
    what are you speeds and pings like with Digiweb compared to Eir? Thinking of switching to Digiweb myself over the next few months.

TBH, I haven't done a proper wired speed test. We exclusively use WiFi in our house, so there's definitely a marked improvement with the Fritz!Box in rooms around the house. The WiFi signal dropped off dramatically outside the room with the old Eir router.

We're on the 150 package and consistently see between 40 and 50 up and down all around the house. So no issues with our typical family usage, which mostly consists of general browsing, streaming, online gaming and occasional movie downloads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Gwynston wrote: »
    TBH, I haven't done a proper wired speed test. We exclusively use WiFi in our house, so there's definitely a marked improvement with the Fritz!Box in rooms around the house. The WiFi signal dropped off dramatically outside the room with the old Eir router.

We're on the 150 package and consistently see between 40 and 50 up and down all around the house. So no issues with our typical family usage, which mostly consists of general browsing, streaming, online gaming and occasional movie downloads.

Wondering with the majority of people using wifi nowadays - has anybody considered the health risks? Also with wireless A/C they've just upped the freq again. I've heard somewhere that it's linked to changes in HRF and could have potential health risks - I guess it's relatively early days yet but it could be like tobacco was back in the 40's, nobody is any the wiser.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

turbbo wrote: »
    Wondering with the majority of people using wifi nowadays - has anybody considered the health risks? Also with wireless A/C they've just upped the freq again. I've heard somewhere that it's linked to changes in HRF and could have potential health risks - I guess it's relatively early days yet but it could be like tobacco was back in the 40's, nobody is any the wiser.

Do Electrical Engineers and Doctors use mobile phones - as in hold them to their heads when talking on them?

If the answer is yes, forget all the shyou have heard/read.

If the answer is no - go live in a cave.

turbbo wrote: »
    Wondering with the majority of people using wifi nowadays - has anybody considered the health risks?

Yes. Lots of people have considered the health risks. There are none. It's non-ionising radiation, the transmit power is one-tenth of a watt, and the inverse square law means that the actual power level you're exposed to is, to a useful approximation, zero watts.

The only way your wireless router is likely to kill you is if someone beats you to death with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Yes. Lots of people have considered the health risks. There are none. It's non-ionising radiation, the transmit power is one-tenth of a watt, and the inverse square law means that the actual power level you're exposed to is, to a useful approximation, zero watts.

The only way your wireless router is likely to kill you is if someone beats you to death with it.

LOL!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭Gooser14

I have noticed contractors clearing ducting on the road out of Newport (Tipperary) towards Rockvale Cemetery & Ahane Cross in preperation for laying Eir fibre. The roll out map shows it is scheduled to go live in the area by mid 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flesheatingbug

hi, i'm in a area that says ftth is available as of today 7th February on the fibrerollout site, the fibre box is right outside my house and work was being done right up to last week, i ran eir and they have no info. Anyone know how long or who to talk to?

• Advertisement

hi, i'm in a area that says ftth is available as of today 7th February on the fibrerollout site, the fibre box is right outside my house and work was being done right up to last week, i ran eir and they have no info. Anyone know how long or who to talk to?

Enter your Eircode here:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

If it says available you should be able to order, if not you won't. The date of going live might mean some premises in your exchange area may be live. It is no guarantee that all premises in an area will be live.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flesheatingbug

Enter your Eircode here:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

If it says available you should be able to order, if not you won't. The date of going live might mean some premises in your exchange area may be live. It is no guarantee that all premises in an area will be live.

yeah problem is my house is new and eircode doesn't seem appear to come up , ah well i'll just have to wait and see

yeah problem is my house is new and eircode doesn't seem appear to come up , ah well i'll just have to wait and see

Can you check a close neighbours Eircode? That should at least show if your section is live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Reminds me of a TV program back in Oz, with Jeffery Robertson QC, where the topic was drugs and a professor of Pharmacology replied to a question saying, yes marijuana could do you harm, if a one Tonne bale of it fell on you off the back of a truck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

Their systems don't seem to agree with their C/S.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

Has anyone got any details of how eir do the installation from the fibre enclosure to inside the home?

My house already has fibre cable run from the external wall through the houses to a central point but it uses FC connectors. I know internally the ONT uses an SC/APC connector so I can easily buy something like this on Amazon to connect internally in my house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIENOC-Simplex-Optical-Coupler-Coupling/dp/B01MXYQZJH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518035237&sr=8-2&keywords=fc+fibre+coupler

Externally I've also got an FC connector so I'm wondering what kind of connectors do the KN lads use here. I want to have things ready for when they come to do the install. I assume they also use an SC/APC here to so the above parts should do both internal and external connectors.

• Advertisement

Just in relation to Bweeng, Co.Cork lads and ladies and this roll out - seems to be absolutely no markings on poles or on the road inside their marked area online all the way back to the exchange itself in Bweeng. Just a quick visual look today but the network is seriously dire in the area, probably 20-30% of the poles not even standing straight and are in a very bad way.

Duplicate Post

digiman wrote: »
    Has anyone got any details of how eir do the installation from the fibre enclosure to inside the home?

My house already has fibre cable run from the external wall through the houses to a central point but it uses FC connectors. I know internally the ONT uses an SC/APC connector so I can easily buy something like this on Amazon to connect internally in my house.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/SIENOC-Simplex-Optical-Coupler-Coupling/dp/B01MXYQZJH/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1518035237&sr=8-2&keywords=fc+fibre+coupler

Externally I've also got an FC connector so I'm wondering what kind of connectors do the KN lads use here. I want to have things ready for when they come to do the install. I assume they also use an SC/APC here to so the above parts should do both internal and external connectors.

https://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057706718

What you do with it from the installation point is up to you but I doubt they are gonna wire it according to your wiring so it's future proofed for other people in the future and also if there are problems with the connection.

digiman wrote: »

When you say externally do you mean in an enclosure on the exterior of your home similar to an ETU? Any install I've seen they have drilled a hole and fed the cable through and only fitting the SC connector when placing the cable inside the ODP.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Just in relation to Bweeng, Co.Cork lads and ladies and this roll out - seems to be absolutely no markings on poles or on the road inside their marked area online all the way back to the exchange itself in Bweeng. Just a quick visual look today but the network is seriously dire in the area, probably 20-30% of the poles not even standing straight and are in a very bad way.

It's possible that they have not started yet. Pole replacement would be one of the first steps in the process. They would usually mark those poles due for replacement with a plate with a red "D" on a white background but according to yourself apparently they have not done this yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement