Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

It's possible that they have not started yet. Pole replacement would be one of the first steps in the process. They would usually mark those poles due for replacement with a plate with a red "D" on a white background but according to yourself apparently they have not done this yet.

I don’t think they have started anything, it must have been a preliminary investigation. Will prob start over next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

When you say externally do you mean in an enclosure on the exterior of your home similar to an ETU? Any install I've seen they have drilled a hole and fed the cable through and only fitting the SC connector when placing the cable inside the ODP.

Yeah, I think ETU is the correct name for it. I need them to leave the SC connector there so I can join it to the other end of my FC cable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

digiman wrote: »
    Yeah, I think ETU is the correct name for it. I need them to leave the SC connector there so I can join it to the other end of my FC cable.

I suppose it will depend on who you get on the day. Some will be more accommodating than others. Was the cabling something you did yourself or was it part of the construction?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭digiman

I suppose it will depend on who you get on the day. Some will be more accommodating than others. Was the cabling something you did yourself or was it part of the construction?

Was part of the construction, will be far easier for him if he does it my way!! No drilling and I will have all ready for him. It will be the easiest install he will ever have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Was part of the construction, will be far easier for him if he does it my way!! No drilling and I will have all ready for him. It will be the easiest install he will ever have to do.

You are asking them if you can provide network north of their demarcation. If the guy is trained properly he will refuse.

Openeir's demarc to the retail provider is the RJ45 port on the ONU. Openeir will stand over the network for their customer (the ISP) as far as there. Then the ISP provides a router south of that. So, you can't provide optical cables/connectors on their network.

You'd never know, the guy on the day might let it slide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

9726_9726 wrote: »
    You are asking them if you can provide network north of their demarcation. If the guy is trained properly he will refuse.

Openeir's demarc to the retail provider is the RJ45 port on the ONU. Openeir will stand over the network for their customer (the ISP) as far as there. Then the ISP provides a router south of that. So, you can't provide optical cables/connectors on their network.

And then when there is a problem and someone comes along to check it the tech will be in trouble for not doing the job and signing it off as complete - liable for being sacked.
    Eir or whoever are paying for a full install not to just bring a cable to the house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

As the others have pointed out. It's their demarcation.

Having said that, nobody prevents you from plugging out the ONT after everything is installed and run a fiber patch to somewhere else. The ETU after all just has a SC connector :)

I'd stick with SC connectors though. So get somebody to resplice the cabling you have with SC connectors. At least for the stretch you want to extend it :)

That way you can revert it, should you get problems and can test in the configuration it was installed from the get go.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭flesheatingbug

Can you check a close neighbours Eircode? That should at least show if your section is live.

yeah when i put in the eircode for next door it says "Fibre to the Home is available", but then when i go to order and put in the phone number it says "Although your area is enabled for eir Fibre broadband, it looks like it hasn't reached your address yet"

yeah when i put in the eircode for next door it says "Fibre to the Home is available", but then when i go to order and put in the phone number it says "Although your area is enabled for eir Fibre broadband, it looks like it hasn't reached your address yet"

You said that your house is new. Does it have a blue or green icon on

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

You said that your house is new. Does it have a blue or green icon on

http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/

its so new it doesn't have any icon, only built in the last couple months, but the pole is there with the fibre box, and i've got ducting run to it

• Advertisement

its so new it doesn't have any icon, only built in the last couple months, but the pole is there with the fibre box, and i've got ducting run to it

The issue you may have is that Openeir, who built the network, send a list of premises that are available to the retail ISPs every week or fortnight. Your Eircode is not likely to be in this file so when you go to order with any ISP a customer service rep will try your Eircode and it will be rejected.

What I would do is email fibrepower@openeir.ie and explain your situation. Give as much detail as possible, Eircodes and phone numbers of premises each side of you plus your own Eircode. Also send the code of the nearest distribution point (box on the pole). It will be printed on a yellow sticker on the box.

Ask them can your premises be added to the APQ file.

The issue you may have is that Openeir, who built the network, send a list of premises that are available to the retail ISPs every week or fortnight. Your Eircode is not likely to be in this file so when you go to order with any ISP a customer service rep will try your Eircode and it will be rejected.

What I would do is email fibrepower@openeir.ie and explain your situation. Give as much detail as possible, Eircodes and phone numbers of premises each side of you plus your own Eircode. Also send the code of the nearest distribution point (box on the pole). It will be printed on a yellow sticker on the box.

Ask them can your premises be added to the APQ file.

thanks for the info, i'll give it a go

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I see Digiweb are now going after current Eir FTTH customers with a free switchover. https://www.digiweb.ie/

The offers seem to be broadband only. 55 for 150, 65 for 300 and 75 for the 1000. contract time is 12 months.

I will give them a call in about two months time when my contract with Eir is up. I will try and find out if there are any plans to raise that fair usage policy, as that would be a big part of me moving away from Eir. The modem is another issue, the Fritzbox which Digiweb provide, can only be better than the F2000 for wifi.

Gonzo wrote: »
    I see Digiweb are now going after current Eir FTTH customers with a free switchover. https://www.digiweb.ie/

The offers seem to be broadband only. 55 for 150, 65 for 300 and 75 for the 1000. contract time is 12 months.

I will give them a call in about two months time when my contract with Eir is up. I will try and find out if there are any plans to raise that fair usage policy, as that would be a big part of me moving away from Eir. The modem is another issue, the Fritzbox which Digiweb provide, can only be better than the F2000 for wifi.

See it's urban areas only, reading thru the list can't envisage what kind of coverage they are targetting

fritzelly wrote: »
    See it's urban areas only, reading thru the list can't envisage what kind of coverage they are targetting

I'm pretty sure that list is wrong and they can offer service on any part of Openeir's FTTH network urban or rural.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The modem is another issue, the Fritzbox which Digiweb provide, can only be better than the F2000 for wifi.

Not using your own? With FTTH it seems like a no brainer IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 394 ✭✭Gaw_

No idea how long these have been up, but seen plenty of these boxes in our East Clare area. I believe "P" were painted on some poles, but didn't see anything on manholes. Here's hoping not much long left to wait - OpenEir still says Winter 2017/Spring 2018.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ED E wrote: »

still just the F2000, I probably should look into getting my own router!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Standard policy on Airwire. 6 months contract and pay for router (optional) and installation fee (99 on switch, 199 on new line, if OpenEIR). Extend to 12 months to get router for free. Extend to 18 months for waiving switch fee.

Just no way to waive the 199 on a new line, as that's already heavily discounted from what OpenEIR charges.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

The modem is another issue, the Fritzbox which Digiweb provide, can only be better than the F2000 for wifi.

What modem would you recommend for FTTH? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Peppa Cig wrote: »
    What modem would you recommend for FTTH? Thanks

Technically none, the modem in an FTTH setup is the ONT ;)

For most users who aren't interested in DD/Open/Mikrotik etc Netgear are still a valid choice as much as some will roll their eyes at that name. I find the TP Link WebUI strongly inferior to Netgears "Genie" interface.

Alternatively Google Wifi and Airport Extreme are solid units for people invested in their relative ecosystems.

If you're on >500Mb packages I'd be aiming for at least one decent access point so you're always close to a 5Ghz transmitter to get full use of the connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Eir have sent letters to ftth customers of a price increase therefore they would be breaking the contract. My brother who is also an Eir ftth customer is thinking of changing to Digiweb. I am not changing because I like to have access to Eir and BT sports channels. He has no interest in sports so it is well worth him to change. For his sake I'm glad that there is a direct link for ftth customers leaving Eir on Digiweb's homepage.

Technically none, the modem in an FTTH setup is the ONT ;)

For most users who aren't interested in DD/Open/Mikrotik etc Netgear are still a valid choice as much as some will roll their eyes at that name. I find the TP Link WebUI strongly inferior to Netgears "Genie" interface.

Alternatively Google Wifi and Airport Extreme are solid units for people invested in their relative ecosystems.

If you're on >500Mb packages I'd be aiming for at least one decent access point so you're always close to a 5Ghz transmitter to get full use of the connection.

I'm going to have a look into the Google Wifi, it's a bit expensive but I think it's worth it for what it does. I think the Apple Airport Extreme has to be set up on an apple device first in order to use?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

I'm going to have a look into the Google Wifi, it's a bit expensive but I think it's worth it for what it does. I think the Apple Airport Extreme has to be set up on an apple device first in order to use?

Nope you just install Apple airport utility for the pc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Just noticed the other day loops of cable hanging from telegraph poles a few miles down the road from me, think it might be fibre working it's way towards us. Is this the way they go about installing initially? Anyone have a pic of install near them so I can confirm?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Just noticed the other day loops of cable hanging from telegraph poles a few miles down the road from me, think it might be fibre working it's way towards us. Is this the way they go about installing initially? Anyone have a pic of install near them so I can confirm?

Photo from my area during the cable/fiber deployment. Two coils of cable in the image below, one from an over head span and one from the supply underground duct.
    438986.jpg

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Photo from my area during the cable/fiber deployment. Two coils of cable in the image below, one from an over head span and one from the supply underground duct.

Think that's them. Will check on way home. Thanks for posting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

This may be a daft question, but are there details anywhere of the different Eir fibre packages? When I go to the Eir site looking for answers it won't tell me anything until I put in my number and because I don't have fibre availability as yet I can't proceed.

I'm unfortunately stuck with Eir because they have the free BT Sport package and I can't do without that. Not going to tell Eir that when it comes to contract negotiation time though...

• Registered Users Posts: 16 guaps

Try switcher.ie

I'm on to them now via the chat function. Still like pulling teeth to get a straight answer.

Eventually got this:

"Up to 100MB"
    Price for this bundle will be € 35 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 40 per month for the next 6 months if you sign up today. Contract period will be 12 months.

"Up to 150MB"
    Price for this bundle will be € 45 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 50 per month for the next 6 months. Contract period will be 12 months.

"Up to 300MB"
    Price for this bundle will be € 53 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 58 per month for the next 6 months. Contract period will be 12 months.

"Up to 1000MB"
    Price for this bundle will be € 65 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 70 per month for the next 6 months. Contract period will be 12 months.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    This may be a daft question, but are there details anywhere of the different Eir fibre packages? When I go to the Eir site looking for answers it won't tell me anything until I put in my number and because I don't have fibre availability as yet I can't proceed.

I'm unfortunately stuck with Eir because they have the free BT Sport package and I can't do without that. Not going to tell Eir that when it comes to contract negotiation time though...

I'm using Chrome on Android and when I go to:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

I can see the three bundles with the varying speeds plus calls.

There are other bundles available with mobiles and TV but I believe the only place they are published is:

https://www.eir.ie/opencms/export/sites/default/group/pricing/phone_broadband/

Eir extreme would refer to FTTH.

"Up to 100MB"
    Price for this bundle will be € 35 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 40 per month for the next 6 months if you sign up today. Contract period will be 12 months.

"Up to 150MB"
    Price for this bundle will be € 45 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 50 per month for the next 6 months. Contract period will be 12 months.

"Up to 300MB"
    Price for this bundle will be € 53 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 58 per month for the next 6 months. Contract period will be 12 months.

"Up to 1000MB"
    Price for this bundle will be € 65 per month for first 6 months, thereafter it is only € 70 per month for the next 6 months. Contract period will be 12 months.

Scoundrels now tell me that is only for new customers!

I'm using Chrome on Android and when I go to:

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

I can see the three bundles with the varying speeds plus calls.

That tells me €76 monthly but only 24MB broadband!

According to the person on the live chat the price for me for 100MB is €58 for 4 months and then €68 thereafter. So a 1 year cost of €776 instead of €450!

According to the person on the live chat the price for me for 100MB is €58 for 4 months and then €68 thereafter. So a 1 year cost of €776 instead of €450!

It doesn't seem to work with all browsers on different OSs. If you are not a new customer I believe the prices they charge are:

150Mb - €81 per month
    300Mb - €89 p/m
    1000Mb - €101 p/m

All the above include "unlimited" national, mobile and UK calls.

It doesn't seem to work with all browsers on different OSs. If you are not a new customer I believe the prices they charge are:

It's a load of crap that their new customer deals are so much worse than the renewals. I did say I was tied to them because they include BT Sport free but when they're charging an average of €27 a month more for current customers, I'd still be cheaper going elsewhere and getting BT sport separately.

That site always seems to have issues with cache, if you go to it in private or incognito mode it should work

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭I_HAVE_NO_NAME

On the topic of access points etc. Has anyone past experience with ubiquiti equipment? Notably the UniFi AC Pro or something along those lines... Seems like good hardware and is reasonably priced.

Note: doesn't have to be ubiquti either all i really want is a mesh network to cover the house and the AP's must have some form of MIMO due to constant devices Netflix Xbox etc... Can't be dealing with dropped packets:P

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭Theanswers

On the topic of access points etc. Has anyone past experience with ubiquiti equipment? Notably the UniFi AC Pro or something along those lines... Seems like good hardware and is reasonably priced.

Note: doesn't have to be ubiquti either all i really want is a mesh network to cover the house and the AP's must have some form of MIMO due to constant devices Netflix Xbox etc... Can't be dealing with dropped packets:P

Thanks

I've used Ubiquiti. If you want to PM me your number I can give you a ring and talk about my experiences. Overall, very positive experiences with the equipment.

That site always seems to have issues with cache, if you go to it in private or incognito mode it should work

Always use incognito mode in work.

The price for me for 100MB is €58 for 4 months and then €68 thereafter. So a 1 year cost of €776 instead of €450!

One phonecall with a cancellation threat later and I'm signed up for another year at €40 a month and 100mb broadband (when it gets here).

• Advertisement

One phonecall with a cancellation threat later and I'm signed up for another year at €40 a month and 100mb broadband (when it gets here).

How can you get 100Mb on a FTTH line? The minimum speed is 150Mb. You would want to clarify that they have not signed you up to FTTC unless that is what you wanted?

How can you get 100Mb on a FTTH line? The minimum speed is 150Mb. You would want to clarify that they have not signed you up to FTTC unless that is what you wanted?
    Wouldn't that be impossible in most locations?
    I mean as where I live it's FTTH or bogband (ADSL)

Wouldn't that be impossible in most locations?

Yeah you would imagine the house would be too far from the exchange or cabinet for FTTC, but when I see 100Mb mentioned I got suspicious.

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    438986.jpg

Looks like the lower part of that has been done. Not the upper bit yet.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that.

I have a 14 day cooling off so I'll check. I suspect that the girl on the phone hadn't a clue and just gave me the "up to 100mb" price knowing that I currently can only get "up to" 5mb anyway.

I was paying €57 a month for phone and broadband and off peak calls to Ireland only. Now I'm paying €40 a month for the same deal but with free calls at all times to the UK and Ireland.

If fibre is 150mb minimum then I would have to upgrade in 6 months anyway.

So basically the 100mb would be FTTC which isn't likely to be available as I'm a mile or 2 away from the cabinet in town. So I would have to increase my package to a 150mb one for FTTH or remain on he old line and continue to get just 2mb?

FTTH is not 150mb minimum, the first level package gives up to 150Mb
    FTTC gives up to 100Mb

fritzelly wrote: »
    FTTH is not 150mb minimum, the first level package gives up to 150Mb
    FTTC gives up to 100Mb

So can I get FTTH fibre broadband on the "up to 100mb" package?

So can I get FTTH fibre broadband on the "up to 100mb" package?

No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 253 ✭✭shigllgetcha

Up to 100mbps is fttc. Ftth starts at 150mbps

Im on 5mbps myself but its up 24mbps on my package. Dont know why theyre put you on an up to 100mbps if youre only on asdl

If you get ftth you can upgrade anyway

• Advertisement

Hmm, interesting. I didn't know that.

I have a 14 day cooling off so I'll check. I suspect that the girl on the phone hadn't a clue and just gave me the "up to 100mb" price knowing that I currently can only get "up to" 5mb anyway.

I was paying €57 a month for phone and broadband and off peak calls to Ireland only. Now I'm paying €40 a month for the same deal but with free calls at all times to the UK and Ireland.

If fibre is 150mb minimum then I would have to upgrade in 6 months anyway.

So basically the 100mb would be FTTC which isn't likely to be available as I'm a mile or 2 away from the cabinet in town. So I would have to increase my package to a 150mb one for FTTH or remain on he old line and continue to get just 2mb?

If you can upgrade from this new package to FTTH, when it becomes available, at no extra cost then obviously that is fine. I can't comment on how they deal with such upgrades though, I think I would want some clarity myself. The issue as you have found is getting to speak to someone who understands what you are talking about.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement