Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eir rural FTTH thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,723 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

The only way to know for sure what you can get/what you have is to ask the customer care to do a prequal on your line - it will tell them if you have FTTH or FTTC or ADSL (or can avail of), since you already have a line in place

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Wrong Thread sorry guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

fritzelly wrote: »
    The only way to know for sure what you can get/what you have is to ask the customer care to do a prequal on your line - it will tell them if you have FTTH or FTTC or ADSL (or can avail of), since you already have a line in place

I only have asdl now I believe, maximum 5mbps.

Sounds like I didn't get as hot a deal as I thought then. I'm still €20+ per month better off than I was, but on the other hand if I have to upgrade to a FTTH package in 6 months then I've used up my "give me a deal or I'll leave" card.

If I cancel the renewal I'll go back onto the €57 monthly crap I was OK but when fibre eventually arrives I'll have the same leverage I do now. If I stick with the deal I'll save plenty until fibre arrives but then have a minimum of 6 months at full price.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I only have asdl now I believe, maximum 5mbps.

Sounds like I didn't get as hot a deal as I thought then. I'm still €20+ per month better off than I was, but on the other hand if I have to upgrade to a FTTH package in 6 months then I've used up my "give me a deal or I'll leave" card.

If I cancel the renewal I'll go back onto the €57 monthly crap I was OK but when fibre eventually arrives I'll have the same leverage I do now. If I stick with the deal I'll save plenty until fibre arrives but then have a minimum of 6 months at full price.

Check your eircode on fibrerollout.ie
    If you have fibre available and sign up for a new contract you should still get the current offerings - may have to haggle a bit on the phone saying first time you've had a fibre contract blah blah

Check your eircode on fibrerollout.ie
    If you have fibre available and sign up for a new contract you should still get the current offerings - may have to haggle a bit on the phone saying first time you've had a fibre contract blah blah

I definitely don't have it available. There is an active cabinet in the town a few miles away but the rural rollout is listed as reaching me in the first half of 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Free at last, free at last........300mbps installed today; the fantastic Dean of KN arrived at 3.30pm and left at 5.30pm. 106m duct from the pole.
    Slight agitation when the coil got lost in the ducting (he had to tape a second coil to the original and that seemed to be the issue on a bend).

Up 200sih, down 50ish with 6ms ping on wifi - can't believe after waiting 14 or so years in various houses we're eventually in the modern world.

Special mention to Dean - he went above and beyond, even bumped us up from next Friday to today by convincing his bosses that we were 'ready to go' TODAY after the initial disappointment 12 or so days ago (our actual re-issued date was next Friday). The world needs more young lads like him, I made sure he was modestly rewarded for his effort.

I may now resign from this thread :)

Edit - I meant to say look out for Dean for installations around Meath.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Free at last, free at last........300mbps installed today; the fantastic Dean of KN arrived at 3.30pm and left at 5.30pm. 106m duct from the pole.
    Slight agitation when the coil got lost in the ducting (he had to tape a second coil to the original and that seemed to be the issue on a bend).

Up 200sih, down 50ish with 6ms ping on wifi - can't believe after waiting 14 or so years in various houses we're eventually in the modern world.

Special mention to Dean - he went above and beyond, even bumped us up from next Friday to today by convincing his bosses that we were 'ready to go' TODAY after the initial disappointment 12 or so days ago (our actual re-issued date was next Friday). The world needs more young lads like him, I made sure he was modestly rewarded for his effort.

Delighted for you. I felt the same way going from 8 down and 0.3 up to 287 down and 53 up.

It's a life changing experience. I'd also like to sneak in a cheeky comment just for total truth, Fibre, fixed Fibre is the only way joy like this can be created. Moving from a crap connection to a stop-gap wireless service never creates this feeling of joy or security knowing that your internet connection is now fixed and ready for everything that the future brings. Fixed proper Fibre is the only way all of this country can move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭stunmer

On the rollout map I can see "rural fibre" on my road. I can see all the blue icons ("Fibre Planned" status) of the houses which are along side the road. Unfortunately I live approx 500 metres from the road and my house does not have an icon.

I inserted my phone number and Eircode and get the following message:
    Our network upgrade plans can be viewed on this map. As your premise is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband it is included in the National Broadband Plan (NBP). The NBP is a government sponsored programme to deliver high speed broadband to all homes and businesses in Ireland. Further details on the NBP can be found here.

I have had max speeds of 0.8 Mbps for approx 10+ years. I did my first speed test since Christmas and the speed seems to have increased to a max of 2.5 Mbps. Now hopefully I can watch Netflix!

With the rollout of fibre in my area, even though I my premise "is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband", am I going to see any improvement in internet download / upload speeds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

stunmer wrote: »
    With the rollout of fibre in my area, even though I my premise "is outside of a commercial deployment for high speed fibre broadband", am I going to see any improvement in internet download / upload speeds?

Unfortunately not. Not unless you get connected to said fiber.

If your house is more than 150m from the fiber and your house isn't earmarked for the roll-out then you're out of luck.

And as your connection still is coming from the exchange, nothing is going to change. The limiting factor is not the bandwidth at the exchange. It's your line from the exchange to you. The DSLAM is not going to get magically nearer to your home.

/M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I thought you were describing the installer as the dean of KN :D

• Advertisement

Maybe he was.

KN installers are given job blocks of 10 or 20 for the weekends to pull ahead, if they can. It lightens the work load during the week and earns them a few extra bucks.

Hence there's a good few out of the blue Saturday installations.

/M

How can you get 100Mb on a FTTH line? The minimum speed is 150Mb. You would want to clarify that they have not signed you up to FTTC unless that is what you wanted?

A wee follow up @Allison Puny Appetite

I just checked my eircode on the rural rollout page and it says I will be able to get "between 30 and 1000mb.

441294.jpg

How can I be getting 30mb if the minimum speed is 150Mb?

I'm even more confused...

A wee follow up @navi

That page only shows fibre enabled, whether it be be FTTC or FTTH, neither has any guaranteed speeds. The FTTC is generally 30 or greater. fibrerollout.ie gives a better house by house indication

There is no minimum speed as I said earlier in the thread (tho some kept indicating otherwise), even on the 150Mb package there is no guarantee you will get anywhere near that - could be 100Mb or less or more, just depends on the traffic on the line

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 739 ✭✭✭Dev84

Great news. I remember I went from 12meg to 360. Night and day is the only way you can dsscribe the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

A wee follow up @navi

I just checked my eircode on the rural rollout page and it says I will be able to get "between 30 and 1000mb.

441294.jpg

The reason it states 30Mb is that a percentage (estimated at around 10% by eir) of the 300000 premises that they agreed to pass will by passed by means of FTTC so they have that generic message.

The reason it states 30Mb is that a percentage (estimated at around 10% by eir) of the 300000 premises that they agreed to pass will by passed by means of FTTC so they have that generic message.

There's actually loads of FTTC connections that do less than 30 Mbit/s .. but Eir (or OpenEIR) wouldn't admit that .. because for the NBP it needed to be 30 Mbit/s minimum :)

Doesn't matter anymore, but why change it.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    There's actually loads of FTTC connections that do less than 30 Mbit/s .. but Eir (or OpenEIR) wouldn't admit that .. because for the NBP it needed to be 30 Mbit/s minimum :)

Doesn't matter anymore, but why change it.

/M

I think you have quoted the wrong person. I was just explaining what the message meant.

I see, but given that I am just under 3km from the cabinet I'm unlikely to be getting FTTC? The rollout map shows the yellow rural fibre lines going just past my house.
    That page only shows fibre enabled, whether it be be FTTC or FTTH, neither has any guaranteed speeds. The FTTC is generally 30 or greater. fibrerollout.ie gives a better house by house indication

There is no minimum speed as I said earlier in the thread (tho some kept indicating otherwise), even on the 150Mb package there is no guarantee you will get anywhere near that - could be 100Mb or less or more, just depends on the traffic on the line

So my confusion is regarding the package I have just signed up for. If I have a broadband deal offering me "up to 100mb", and then they roll up with FTTH, can I get that 100mb fibre speed without having to change my package?

Sorry for the daft questions folk. I'm usually the tech savvy person in work that people ask dumb questions to so I feel very old being in their position asking you lot all these questions!

I see, but given that I am just under 3km from the cabinet I'm unlikely to be getting FTTC? The rollout map shows the yellow rural fibre lines going just past my house.

So my confusion is regarding the package I have just signed up for. If I have a broadband deal offering me "up to 100mb", and then they roll up with FTTH, can I get that 100mb fibre speed without having to change my package?

Different packages, you will need a new contract for what us a new BB delivery system, but at 500m, as already said, you are too far for eir to burden the cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭rob808

The best thing to do is cancel the order and then reorder the FTTH package of 150mb.

Yes you will likely get FTTH. No you will likely not get it at the current €40 you are paying. As you said you have maybe used up your bargaining power plus you may have signed a new contract to get the €40 deal. You would really need to ascertain what it is you agreed to last week.

but at 500m, as already said, you are too far for eir to burden the cost

500m? Huh?

rob808 wrote: »
    The best thing to do is cancel the order and then reorder the FTTH package of 150mb.

It looks like cancelling is probably my only option. But I can't reorder the 150mb FTTH yet as I won't be receiving the FTTH for at least 4 months.

And if I go back to my old rolling deal I'm paying €20+ per month more than I need to.

500m? Huh?

It looks like cancelling is probably my only option. But I can't reorder the 150mb FTTH yet as I won't be receiving the FTTH for at least 4 months.

And if I go back to my old rolling deal I'm paying €20+ per month more than I need to.

He mixed you up with another poster that is 500m from the road.

Try to get speaking to someone who understands and clarify what the upgrade process is from your current product. As you say there is no point paying €20+ extra a month if you don't have to.

Just emailed our local county councilor here and explained our situation to him (4 houses 700m away from where Eir are planning to come to) .... I know we are probably pissing against the wind but have anyone heard or Eir extending their network once they know people are going to use the service if they bring it?

He mixed you up with another poster that is 500m from the road.

Phew!
    Try to get speaking to someone who understands and clarify what the upgrade process is from your current product. As you say there is no point paying €20+ extra a month if you don't have to.

Yeah it's just bad timing. If I get the offer now it saves me €20 a month (plus what I was spending on calls). But then I'd have to upgrade to the 150mb package which I believe is €81!

If I cancel now and then negotiate when the broadband arrives I'd pay €20 minimum extra for at least 4 months, but then potentially save a fortune by being able to haggle for the FTTH deal. I think the promo deal for new customers on that is €45 for 6 months and €50 for 6 months.

Yep - mixed you up with some other guy.

Are you not in a current contract for the negotiated discount? That's how it generally works
    Just wait til it arrives then see how much the upgrade will cost.

Are you not in a current contract for the negotiated discount? That's how it generally works
    Just wait til it arrives then see how much the upgrade will cost.

I only just signed up for a new 12 month contract but I can cancel that within 14 days.

Cancelling would cost me more in the short term but would restore my bargaining ability when the fibre arrives.

Get on to the online chat or phone and ask what kinda deal you would be likely to get if/when upgrading
    Wouldn't be cancelling now on the hopes it will be here in a few months - could end up being another year or more before you even get connected (as many people will attest to even after the area is enabled)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Well he was for a couple of hours yesterday :D:pac:

Get on to the online chat or phone and ask what kinda deal you would be likely to get if/when upgrading
    Wouldn't be cancelling now on the hopes it will be here in a few months - could end up being another year or more before you even get connected (as many people will attest to even after the area is enabled)

Yeah I'm thinking that. It says first half of 2018 so probably 4 more months at least. Then another wait for connection from the pole to the house. By that time the new deal I just signed will be half way through.

The online chat folk are useless. As soon as you mention anything about FTTH/FTTC they just tell you to call customer services. The chat support team are in India I believe and probably just working from an information database with limited actual knowledge. I've worked in a call centre so I know the situation most of them are probably in.

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭Bored Accountant

Yeah I'm thinking that. It says first half of 2018 so probably 4 more months at least. Then another wait for connection from the pole to the house. By that time the new deal I just signed will be half way through.

Has there been any work in your area for FTTH yet to give a suggestion if they are likely to deliver by end of June? It could easily be August/September before you are able to order and get an install.

If you have already agreed to a new package, I would expect, it will be very difficult to get back to your old one. If you cancel the new agreement, the will probably just cease your line...

I would say you are best just staying with the €40 quid a month and when FTTH is finally available, to haggle then to try get a good deal.

Has there been any work in your area for FTTH yet to give a suggestion if they are likely to deliver by end of June? It could easily be August/September before you are able to order and get an install.

No work as yet that I've seen.

If you have already agreed to a new package, I would expect, it will be very difficult to get back to your old one. If you cancel the new agreement, the will probably just cease your line...

They can't cease it. I have a 14 day cooling off period to cancel the new contract. If I cancel I go back to the package I was on, which makes them more money than if I stay on the new deal.

I would say you are best just staying with the €40 quid a month and when FTTH is finally available, to haggle then to try get a good deal.

I've decided that's what I'll do. As you say it could easily be the best part of a year before I'm able to get the new FTTH broadband anyway. By that time my new contract will nearly be up and I'll have saved about €300.

Plus if it does come early I'll call them and politely enquire why I'm not getting the 100mb fibre broadband that I was promised. The fact that they have signed me up for a deal that they should know I'm not able to take full advantage of might give me some of that bargaining power back. And worst case scenario I'll suck it up for a few months on my poxy old 2mb until I'm contract free again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Kn vans busy in the neighborhood putting the extra line on the poles ...even working a Sunday ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,119 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Up she goes, never mind the weather:
    P2124483d.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

cnocbui wrote: »
    Up she goes, never mind the weather:

good to see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    Photo from my area during the cable/fiber deployment. Two coils of cable in the image below, one from an over head span and one from the supply underground duct.
    438986.jpg

The tail end of the deployment in my area - 'go-live' being the 14th of this month
    441482.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

KeRbDoG wrote: »
    The tail end of the deployment in my area - 'go-live' being the 14th of this month
    441482.jpg

It means that some of the roads from your exchange is going live. But judging from the photos your road won't be live for another month or two. DP boxes are still missing on the poles. I am not sure wether the underground duct have been fed Fibre cable or not.

Changing topics slightly from a few post back there were a lot of weekend work done over the last year. The main fibre cables on my road went up on a Saturday. The black DP splice boxes went up on a another Saturday a month later. And I was connected on Saturday 6th October last.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

My 'My Eir' account is still banjaxed since I had problems with my account last year, tech support has no idea whats wrong, nothing loads for me, bills, usage etc.
    The guy mentioned maybe re-registering it, does anyone know what happens if you remove your account from the My Eir Site?

Jpmarn wrote: »
    It means that some of the roads from your exchange is going live. But judging from the photos your road won't be live for another month or two. DP boxes are still missing on the poles. I am not sure wether the underground duct have been fed Fibre cable or not.

Changing topics slightly from a few post back there were a lot of weekend work done over the last year. The main fibre cables on my road went up on a Saturday. The black DP splice boxes went up on a another Saturday a month later. And I was connected on Saturday 6th October last.

I think that is the box you can see wrapped with blue rope towards the base of the pole. If I remember correctly KeRbDoG posted a picture previously where it appeared the box had fallen off the pole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

I think that is the box you can see wrapped with blue rope towards the base of the pole. If I remember correctly KeRbDoG posted a picture previously where it appeared the box had fallen off the pole.

They since came back and mounted it correctly - turns out electrical tape isn't structural :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,983 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Airwire seem to be now offering their service on OpenEir's FTTH lines. I am hoping that this can be ordered from anywhere in Ireland on Eir's network?

Last time I looked they were just selling for Siro.

They offering the same 300/50 plan that I'm on with Eir with a 2tb allowance and it's 5 euros cheaper per month! Would have to take out an 18 month contract in order to get free router and free move from Eir. Certainly something worth considering.

http://www.airwire.ie/index.php/products/ruralftth

Gonzo wrote: »
    Airwire seem to be now offering their service on OpenEir's FTTH lines. I am hoping that this can be ordered from anywhere in Ireland on Eir's network?

Last time I looked they were just selling for Siro.

Nah ... it's always been both networks. OpenEIR just didn't have Airwire listed on http://fibrerollout.ie/rollout-map/where-to-buy/ for ages and the products page wasn't very clear. Well, OpenEIR since November anyhow.

/M

€199 setup on Airwire tho - still not worth it from the off
    But some nasty additional charges. What do they mean non Airwire service charge?

But shows eir need to up their game with the incremental download speeds/BW allowance - like how Airwire do it

But some nasty additional charges. What do they mean non Airwire service charge?

Have a look in the small print of other providers and see, what they hide there :)

If your dog chews up your ONT, you drop an open can of coke on it or you ring the provider, get an engineer out, because you were too daft to push the button to turn on the wifi on your router, then you deserve to be charged :)

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Have a look in the small print of other providers and see, what they hide there :)

Probably, don't know anyone else charging to port your number tho and moving provider when there's already a line in...?

Gonna be fun in 12-18 months time when everyone's contracts are starting to be up for renewal

Probably, don't know anyone else charging to port your number tho and moving provider when there's already a line in...?

Gonna be fun in 12-18 months time when everyone's contracts are starting to be up for renewal

Well, most of the other providers don't give an option of a 6 or 12 months contract. You'd have to compare like for like.

And porting an existing number is probably a charge, that many providers just eat up.

But as for contracts being up for renewal. That's happening right now with Eirs price hikes. It's actually really interesting for the FTTH lines put in, that Eir forked out what .. 300-500 EUR (270+vat installation and up to 200 EUR towards leaving your provider). I can't see them making a profit on any customer they loose at all.

Anyone, that got the letter with the price increase can basically just leave. No penalty. Hence various providers have put incentives on their website.

/M

Was talking to Eir and they have told me that the houses selected in the 300k FTTH are “locked down” in a contractural deal with the government.

So any houses not marked on the map (we are 700m away from planned houses) like ourselves are out of luck :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

So I got FTTH installed today. Unfortunately I was away from home when the install was done so I could not test the speed myself after the install. I opted for the 150mb service. I just ran 3 tests in a row using the Speed Test app on my phone and am only getting 50mb. Does it take eir a bit of time to increase the speed or is something up?

Vegeta wrote: »
    3 tests in a row using the Speed Test app on my phone

There's your problem right there

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement