Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Villages around Limerick City: Thoughts?

• 26-09-2015 3:20am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭

So I'm looking for a place to live around Limerick City and I've been considering some of the outlying villages:

Patrickswell
    Kildimo
    Caherconlish
    Murroe
    Castleconnell
    O'Briensbridge

How would each of those rate on a scale of "Beautiful village with all the amenities" to "Blasted hellscape of abandoned ruins where packs of feral youths and/or dogs devour all who dare enter" these days? Also, how impossible would it be to get a reliable ~10Mbps or faster landline (fibre(lol)/cable/DSL, not satellite/mobile/wireless) broadband connection in each?

Any other decent villages I've missed that would be within about half an hour's commute of the Raheen business park? (Adare isn't out of the question if I could find a place there where I could get out and around without having to drive through the town center every day, but what I've seen there has been in a higher price range than I'm looking for anyway.)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

dennyk wrote: »
    So I'm looking for a place to live around Limerick City and I've been considering some of the outlying villages:

Patrickswell
    Kildimo
    Caherconlish
    Murroe
    Castleconnell
    O'Briensbridge

How would each of those rate on a scale of "Beautiful village with all the amenities" to "Blasted hellscape of abandoned ruins where packs of feral youths and/or dogs devour all who dare enter" these days? Also, how impossible would it be to get a reliable ~10Mbps or faster landline (fibre(lol)/cable/DSL, not satellite/mobile/wireless) broadband connection in each?

Any other decent villages I've missed that would be within about half an hour's commute of the Raheen business park? (Adare isn't out of the question if I could find a place there where I could get out and around without having to drive through the town center every day, but what I've seen there has been in a higher price range than I'm looking for anyway.)

Clonlara, Parteen, Ardnacrusha, Cratloe?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,337 ✭✭✭✭phog

Are you ruling out Cratloe, Coonagh, Parteen ( probably less suited due to commute to Raheen) on the Clare side of the city?

Edit ^^^^^^^ snap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

Clarina/ Ballybrown another option for you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

With the motorway Ballina/Kilaloe could be a great option.

My folks live in Ballina and it takes me around a half an hour to get from the south circular road to their place.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭CliCliW

Mungret might be good to look at too :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,524 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been in Castleconnell for the last 10 years and love it here. Easy access to the city, and 12-13 Mbps broadband with Vodafone (broadband only, no landline). Fibre is coming early next year, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Castleconnell is gorgeous. Grew up there and my parents still live there. Its so accessible with the by-pass. It has everything you need while still feeling like a small village.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭pigtown

Cappamore maybe? It's not usually on people's radar but has got pretty impressive facilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭dennyk

Thanks for the suggestions, folks. :) I'll definitely be keeping an eye out for rentals in those spots.
    phog wrote: »
    Are you ruling out Cratloe, Coonagh, Parteen ( probably less suited due to commute to Raheen) on the Clare side of the city?

Not completely ruling those out, but the commute from the west/northwest side of the city isn't ideal (pay four quid a day to take the tunnel or deal with the traffic in the city center). Something south of the estuary or on the eastern/northeastern side with decent access to the M7 might make for a smoother commute, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭delthedriver

Kilaloe /Balina

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭RVN10

I know its not Limerick but what about Newport living here last 4 months and its great spot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

Castleconnell is lovely but there's a rough element there that do cause quite a bit of hassle.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Look no further than croom

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭MichaelR

I live in Patrickswell for the last 6 months and find it rather good as a Limerick commuter place. For a commute to Raheen Business Park there is simply no better option (excluding Raheen itself where you can actually walk); you are talking single digit minutes. I have not heard of any serious rough issues while I am here, but I did hear of low-level trouble among children.

I am getting reliable 14 MBps broadband from Eircom, but I am in the village itself; if you are out in the rural parts it might be much worse re fixed broadband. Eircom Fibre is supposed to roll out before the end of the year but I don't know if this will bring much benefit to the rural areas. As a backup, you get 4G coverage from, I think, all three providers (as in Vodafone, Three, Meteor); I use Vodafone 4G and it seems good all around the place).

Advertisement