Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature student with level 8 degree

Options
  • 26-09-2015 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭

I hope to go back to college next year to do nursing. Probably in Ucd or trinity. I already availed of the free fees and had a grant last time around so presume I'm entitled to nothing this time?
    Any ideas how much each year is going to cost? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭salamanca22

In order to get the free fees now you have to be advancing in your education, that is going from a level 6 to a 7 or 7 to a 8, I believe their are very stringent rules on post graduate grants (if there are any at all any more)

Student contribution fees this year are 3,000 euro and tend to rise every year. You may have to pay tuition as well. Tuition varies from college to college and from course to course.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Cliona99

Tuition fees for nursing in UCD are about €7400 per year, which includes the the student contribution charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Thank you. Thought I was looking at about 2/3k per year. I think 7k will be too far out of my league :( h

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Thank you. Thought I was looking at about 2/3k per year. I think 7k will be too far out of my league :( h

Look into somehow and see if there is anything available to you. 7k is a lot but check it out before you rule it out :) best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Would you consider going to the UK to do nursing as a Post Grad? It's a 2 year post grad and for EU citizens there's no fees. Have a look at a few of the universities online and see what you think

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Monkeysgomad

Would you consider going to the UK to do nursing as a Post Grad? It's a 2 year post grad and for EU citizens there's no fees. Have a look at a few of the universities online and see what you think

Yeah I think England could be a good option. I know my cousin went there to do radiology and loved it. It is worth a look

Is it possible even if your degree is unrelated? I have a level 8 degree in accounting?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Is it possible even if your degree is unrelated? I have a level 8 degree in accounting?

Yes I know somebody with Engineering as their primary degree who did it!

Thank you. I had a quick look, seems to be a similar story albeit 2 years less. It seems fees are about £1800 per year and bursaries are only paid to UK residents. Does that sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

Thank you. I had a quick look, seems to be a similar story albeit 2 years less. It seems fees are about £1800 per year and bursaries are only paid to UK residents. Does that sound about right?

You could try the Eligibility Calculator for the bursaries in the NHS. As far as I can remember undergrad fees are covered for nursing students from Ireland you just don't get the grant allowance. Not sure if the same applies for post grad fees.

Here's the caluculator https://apps.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/SBCalcs/ic/forms/Personal%20Eligibility%20Calculator/new

• Advertisement
Advertisement