Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Worst Restaurant Experience?

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

wakka12 wrote: »
    Whats so bad about that? People are too obsessed with germs and hygiene these days, if Im in a restaurant and the table beside me leaves food that look tasty and hasn't been overly fingered/eaten then i take it when nobodys looking.

Because the person who was eating it might have a contagious disease for all you know. Community acquired illness and all that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Click your fingers at the waiting staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

My parents were in a restaurant and they found ants crawling on the table.
    Needless to say they weren't impressed and called the waiter/staff, whose response was along the lines of "oh yeah, them".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Collie D wrote: »
    than to catch a bunch of the speedy, vicious little bastards.

Cats are great, aren't they? :) The adorable assholes. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Was once in a restaurant near times square in New York and it was a Very cold Decembers day, It was one of them places where we had to give our names and we will be called in about 45 - 60 mins, So we went of shopping until then,

We were then seated beside the stairs where it comes up from the street,

Waiter was very giddy...So giddy infact that he would wreck anyones head....

Anyway... A very cold breeze was coming up the stairs and was freezing us,I asked for another seat as it was cold and he said they where busy and no other seats where available..At this stage I was starving so wasn't up for going elsewhere and waiting,

We ordered,Our food came not long after and not even a minute had passed where our mains came, I looked at him and saying "We are not really ready yet" but he leaves the mains on the table anyway,When it came to eating the mains it was cold and i was fed up with been frozen.

I know they get paid mostly on tips over there but they got feck all off a tip from me....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,370 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Was once in a restaurant near times square in New York and it was a Very cold Decembers day, It was one of them places where we had to give our names and we will be called in about 45 - 60 mins, So we went of shopping until then,

We were then seated beside the stairs where it comes up from the street,

Waiter was very giddy...So giddy infact that he would wreck anyones head....

Anyway... A very cold breeze was coming up the stairs and was freezing us,I asked for another seat as it was cold and he said they where busy and no other seats where available..At this stage I was starving so wasn't up for going elsewhere and waiting,

We ordered,Our food came not long after and not even a minute had passed where our mains came, I looked at him and saying "We are not really ready yet" but he leaves the mains on the table anyway,When it came to eating the mains it was cold and i was fed up with been frozen.

I know they get paid mostly on tips over there but they got feck all off a tip from me....

Go to restaurant, order food and then are not ready to eat? Were you saying Grace or something?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Birneybau wrote: »
    Go to restaurant, order food and then are not ready to eat? Were you saying Grace or something?

I think he meant they were still eating their starters.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Scipio_Hib

Turning it around slightly - I'm a chef in a restaurant - so my worst experiences tend to be with customers, especially the over fussy ones who love telling you have prepared / cooked something wrong. All they generally do is highlight their ignorance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Muckross house in Kilarney

Went there for anniversary, Got a meal which was 5 course.
    Waited 35 mins to be seated, it was somewhat busy but had about 25% of chairs available.

No one took a drink order at all, waited a further 20 mins to get a menu.
    Ordered a the starter and main.

waited 40mins, then main came out. The Mrs ordered steak to be well done. Her fish came out very undercooked!!!

The waitress then said we did order the food as Mine was right, but it was the days special so no surprise.

Mains came out anyway, eaten. Desert order taken.

No sign of desert for 25 mins.

I asked to speak to the manager, but ended up speaking with the guy who was Bill Cullen's eyes and ears in the place.

We got an extra night in a fancy room for free. We could hear him the following morning having a team meeting the restaurant staff as we werent the only people with issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Chinese restaurant in Portugal, which I had done a bit of research on and it had come highly recommended.

Prawn starter arrived and they hadn't even cleaned them correctly, meaning the waste pipe was still present on the prawn.

Left there and then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭Ignatius in bloom

allibastor wrote: »
    Muckross house in Kilarney

Went there for anniversary, Got a meal which was 5 course.
    Waited 35 mins to be seated, it was somewhat busy but had about 25% of chairs available.

No one took a drink order at all, waited a further 20 mins to get a menu.
    Ordered a the starter and main.

waited 40mins, then main came out. The Mrs ordered steak to be well done. Her fish came out very undercooked!!!

The waitress then said we did order the food as Mine was right, but it was the days special so no surprise.

Mains came out anyway, eaten. Desert order taken.

No sign of desert for 25 mins.

I asked to speak to the manager, but ended up speaking with the guy who was Bill Cullen's eyes and ears in the place.

We got an extra night in a fancy room for free. We could hear him the following morning having a team meeting the restaurant staff as we werent the only people with issues.

Huh?

She ordered steak but got fish?

I can't really follow what you wrote?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

Huh?

She ordered steak but got fish?

I can't really follow what you wrote?

Yep,

She ordered a well done steak, but she was given out fish which was under cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Got a cheeseburger with no meat while din** ing in an Italian chipper in Terenure village.
    Other times I noticed they left out items. So it seemed to me that they were robbing people that had a few drinks taken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭Jan Laco

Scipio_Hib wrote: »
    Turning it around slightly - I'm a chef in a restaurant - so my worst experiences tend to be with customers, especially the over fussy ones who love telling you have prepared / cooked something wrong. All they generally do is highlight their ignorance.

So they should eat up and shut up? Or you actually cook everything to perfection everytime?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Birneybau wrote: »

Yea, Should have mentioned our starters and Main came almost at the very same time....

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

Was in a local restaurant with my good lady, ordered a warm nourishing soup as it was a cool night. When it arrived, to my horror I discovered a fly floating in it. Called the waiter chappy sharpish and said "look here, old chap, there's a fly in my soup" To my amazement he replied, "Be quiet Sir, or everybody will want one!" My good lady and I saw the funny side, and how we chortled!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

I was out for dinner in a Chinese restaurant in the west when my friend spotted something hard in hiscurry. Turned out to be a large sewing needle. We called over the manager, who was delighted and said "The chef will be so happy - he has been looking everywhere for that".

My local village had a small chipper which only opened late at night at weekends. It was filthy but popular (only served chips, burgers or sausages) after the local nightclub would close. The owner sliced his palm open one night, while opening a bag of frozen chips. He continued to serve food with blood dripping over people's food. One girl even sent her chips back, complaining that she hadn't asked for ketchup!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

Billy86 wrote: »
    Chinese takeaways don't sell Chinese food, though. ;)

Went to see Bruce Lee's 'Way Of The Dragon' last night and in it they poke fun at the west's notion of Chinese food when a group of Italians come in and start asking for Chinese Ribs. The Chinese guy says he has no idea what that means and never heard of Chinese Ribs. It gets a bit racist then as the Italian lifts the waiter's top up and bites his ribs and says, "That's Chinese ribs". They was murder then. Karate style.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭snowgal

note to self- stop reading through this thread while eating lunch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭podgemonster

I remember visiting a greasy chip van in my local town after the club, it can get be fairly hectic at 2am. The ould fella working in there was taking my friends order, then excuses himself. Heads out the back of the chipper and relieves himself. Comes back into the chipper rubs his hands on his filthy apron and goes...

"Right curry chips was it, here you are"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭NachoBusiness

I remember visiting a greasy chip van in my local town after the club, it can get be fairly hectic at 2am. The ould fella working in there was taking my friends order, then excuses himself. Heads out the back of the chipper and relives himself. Comes back into the chipper rubs his hands on his filthy apron and goes...

"Right curry chips was it, here you are"

Sounds like a scene from a Roddy Doyle novel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

I was struggling to think of an answer that was worse than our canteen here in work and eventually remembered how terrible our "4 star" hotel in Tanzania was. Low quality ingredients badly cooked at outrageous (in local terms) prices. Service was poor too and there was only 5 of us ****ing there! The beer was nice though.

Our canteen in work is marginally better than a third world dump....

on_my_oe wrote: »
    they found cat bits in the drains.

Maybe a cat fell in the drain? Maybe cat is delicious? Maybe the cutest kitten you've ever seen could be the tastiest meal you've never eaten?

MetalDog wrote: »
    My parents were in a restaurant and they found ants crawling on the table.

I was in a restaurant once (outdoors) where there was really nothing they can do about them. Just distract them with a bit of food next to your plate and eat away! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

dilallio wrote: »
    I was out for dinner in a Chinese restaurant in the west when my friend spotted something hard in hiscurry. Turned out to be a large sewing needle. We called over the manager, who was delighted and said "The chef will be so happy - he has been looking everywhere for that".

that had me in stitches...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Bulbous Salutation

Jan Laco wrote: »
    Got a cheeseburger with no meat while din** ing in an Italian chipper in Terenure village.
    Other times I noticed they left out items. So it seemed to me that they were robbing people that had a few drinks taken.

If it's the chipper in Terenure I'm thinking of then it wouldn't surprise me. Absolute bunch of nasty and obnoxious chancers. Food there is absolute swill as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Working in gastropub I managed to send out a spent match in the boss's spaghetti. Words were had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

MadsL wrote: »
    Working in gastropub I managed to send out a spent match in the boss's spaghetti. Words were had.
    Waterford?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 904 ✭✭✭MetalDog

I was in a restaurant once (outdoors) where there was really nothing they can do about them. Just distract them with a bit of food next to your plate and eat away! :)

Yeah, but this was an indoor restaurant, upstairs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Adyx wrote: »
    Waterford?

Prague

Advertisement