Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Killegy church and graveyard killarney

Options
  • 26-09-2015 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

hi looking for directions to killegy church and graveyard in killarney, I've checked Google and it only gives it in google maps as muckross house, even the gps listed on Google is for a different location, there are ruins of a church and a Celtic cross located there? Any ideas as to how I would get there

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭Boom__Boom

Jim05 wrote: »
    hi looking for directions to killegy church and graveyard in killarney, I've checked Google and it only gives it in google maps as muckross house, even the gps listed on Google is for a different location, there are ruins of a church and a Celtic cross located there? Any ideas as to how I would get there

I'm nearly certain but I'm not 100% (if that makes any sense) that this is just off the Muckross Road. Basically drive out of Killarney on the Muckross Road, cross the bridge and keep going, pass the first entrance to Muckross (there is a yard with jaunting cars on one side and a gate/entrance on the other) Keep going on the main road. There is a junction a few 100 metres on from this up to the left and once you pass this there is a house/farm and in one of the next fields on the left hand side the cross is visible.

I would say the best thing is to continue maybe 100/200 metres more and park at the art gallery (I think it's called the Blue Pool Gallery on the corner. There is also a church and I think a graveyard further on (50-100m) down the small road at the gallery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Isn't Killegy house where the bould Jackie Lavin and Bill reside. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-luxury-retreat-jackie-lavin-calls-home-30427156.html

I think it was an old hunting lodge which they did up. It's roughly here on the map and can only be accessed on foot. There's a public right of way through the grounds and well worth a look. Head out the Muckross rd and turn left just after the Muckross park hotel. About 500m up that (Mangerton) road you'll come to a 90 degree left turn at the foot of the hill. Across the road at the bend there is an entrance with a gravel road that will take you to the gates of the house. This gravel road is called the queen's drive, over a km and it gets quite steep. You can walk through the small pedestrian gate onto the grounds of the house at the top.

I'm not quite sure where the church is though.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Isn't Killegy house where the bould Jackie Lavin and Bill reside. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/the-luxury-retreat-jackie-lavin-calls-home-30427156.html

I think it was an old hunting lodge which they did up. It's roughly here on the map and can only be accessed on foot. There's a public right of way through the grounds and well worth a look. Head out the Muckross rd and turn left just after the Muckross park hotel. About 500m up that (Mangerton) road you'll come to a 90 degree left turn at the foot of the hill. Across the road at the bend there is an entrance with a gravel road that will take you to the gates of the house. This gravel road is called the queen's drive, over a km and it gets quite steep. You can walk through the small pedestrian gate onto the grounds of the house at the top.

I'm not quite sure where the church is though.

I had assumed that Killegy Church and Graveyard was the name of the one off the little road behind the Blue Pool Gallery/what was formerly Muckross Post Office. There's definitely a church there - I think it's deconsecrated and used for youth groups/scouts now - I had a strong notion that is used to be a Protestant Church (given Muckross Church is so relatively close I can't really see it being another Catholic Church) and I had always heard of Killegy Graveyard being a Church of Ireland graveyard so I had assumed there was a graveyard there. I have seen this area referred to as Killegy Lower on a map somewhere before. This newer church could well have be built to replace the older one where the graveyard is.

The Celtic Cross marks the burial place of one of the Vincents (who used to own Muckross House) and supposedly he was buried standing up. I remember my grandmother telling me that the local people used to say he was buried standing up so no money would fall out of his pockets (no idea how true that were)

The picture below look like the graveyard and ruined church is overgrown with trees and I think it could well be in the circle of the trees where the Celtic Cross is. I would guess that the straight path/lane starting from where the Gallery is now is the access route up to it.

http://www.chooseireland.com/kerry/killegy-church-graveyard/

https://www.google.ie/maps/@52.028661,-9.486674,472m/data=!3m1!1e3

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Thanks for this. I have seen the Celtic Cross as I drive in and wondered how I could get to it. So I park by the art gallery church? There is then a path behind there? Aiming to find it this coming week..

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭travelledpengy

Graces7 wrote: »
    Thanks for this. I have seen the Celtic Cross as I drive in and wondered how I could get to it. So I park by the art gallery church? There is then a path behind there? Aiming to find it this coming week..

Yes you can walk up from behind the church.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 olearyd

Boom_Boom's directions are correct. Park near the Blue Pool Gallery. Walk up between the houses towards a grassy laneway. You have to go through what looks like someone's yard but it is a public path. There's a stile gate and then the graveyard is a couple of hundred metres up the path. I have created a map on google maps but I can't share the URL here :(

PM me if you want the link to the map

Thanks.. will be there after Christmas I hope.. Love old graveyards and I had missed this one...

olearyd wrote: »
    Boom_Boom's directions are correct. Park near the Blue Pool Gallery. Walk up between the houses towards a grassy laneway. You have to go through what looks like someone's yard but it is a public path. There's a stile gate and then the graveyard is a couple of hundred metres up the path. I have created a map on google maps but I can't share the URL here :(

PM me if you want the link to the map

Not doubting this is a public path but how do you know/check/confirm it is a public path?

Boom__Boom wrote: »
    Not doubting this is a public path but how do you know/check/confirm it is a public path?

I wondered that too. But surely .. although I was to St Brendans out near Crookhaven and there is a very difficult right of way access there through a farmers field, And way down near Kells, access to a graveyard and high Crosses through someones farmyard. ..

Advertisement