Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2016

• 26-09-2015 10:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭

Well, just around the corner now.

I knew something was up the government been very quite. So basically, it looks like motorists, workers and drinkers/smokers are in for a shafting this time around.

Welfare bonus to come back, I say even an increase to sweeten them up for a few votes.

Tell you one thing, nothing they will do in this budget will have me voting for them.

So lets start a list of how we have been shafted out of it by FG/LAB, i'll start with

Carbon levy and the insurance levy

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

TallGlass wrote: »
    So basically, it looks like motorists, workers and drinkers/smokers are in for a shafting this time around.

Is it any different usually?

But the people who do nothing will get a bonus for.. er.. doing nothing.. much logic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭Mesrine65

Ah will yiz feck off with all this Budget talk this hour of a Saturday morn yiz bastids :D;) :P

A tax on puffy directing pants

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Smokers have been shafted in every budget for years now. Big whoop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

Well, just around the corner now.

I knew something was up the government been very quite. So basically, it looks like motorists, workers and drinkers/smokers are in for a shafting this time around.

Welfare bonus to come back, I say even an increase to sweeten them up for a few votes.

Tell you one thing, nothing they will do in this budget will have me voting for them.

So lets start a list of how we have been shafted out of it by FG/LAB, i'll start with

Carbon levy and the insurance levy

Who will you vote for? Paul Murphy and his band of economic retards?

Putting any of the other parties in power at the next election will see use losing several years of recovery in my view.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

So OP you told us who you won't vote for.

Now try and do something most the anti FG/Lab people have an issue with. Tell us who you will vote for and what you think they can do in government backed up with logic i.e don't say abolish water charges but offer no alternative funding method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ok OP rather than take the Paul Murphy, SF, and Co line of complaining about every aspect of the budget, how about you give your alternative budget and explain how you would balance the books with some semblance of an effort to keep the populous happy and the state still functioning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Schism

So lets start a list of how we have been shafted out of it by FG/LAB

This is the mentality the allows the stupid cycle of Irish politics to continue.

Party A ****s the country, Party B gets power and makes cuts, pisses (some of) the people off. Election comes around again, people forget what Party A did and vote them in again.

I don't see the logic of voting out a party that's done their best to steady this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hurlsey

I expect that we'll all get shafted in one way or another in the budget, however I'll still be voting FG, I won't be voting for any other party or independent!!

Theres one Labour TD I would actually vote for, Aodhan O Riordain! He's not in my constituency so it's moot!

There is no denying that the Depts of Health and Social Welfare could do with a serious overall, I'd imagine there are colossal savings to be made in those areas, if there was the political will to do so, sadly there isn't!!

Personally I'll be voting this government back in if I can. I didn't vote for them last time but can see what they have achieved in the meantime while all opposition either calls foul on every initiative just for the sake of it or promises to wipe out all cutbacks and charges with no credible alternatives to finance the country being offered. We have taken a hit certainly under this government but I can just as certainly see things beginning to improve a lot earlier than I thought they would.
    I am open to alternatives but nobody has produced any as yet. This budget seems to be aimed at reflecting the current financial situation as best it can but who on earth could come up a cure-all considering the mess we had a few years back?
    All that said, it's pure speculation as to the content of the budget, so let's wait on specifics. Some people will never be happy and will always want to rant and complain but they are usually the ones with no practical workable alternatives. The old empty vessels types.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Petrol is finally dropping so expect a tax increase to push it back to ridiculous levels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Uriel. wrote: »
    Who will you vote for? Paul Murphy and his band of economic retards?

Putting any of the other parties in power at the next election will see use losing several years of recovery in my view.

Damn right I will, put these bench warming back seat politic jockeys into there place and hopefully get some TD's in there that will rock the boat a little. Even if they are in FF/FG, I won't vote for FG because there all sheep.

Damn right I will, put these bench warming back seat politic jockeys into there place and hopefully get some TD's in there that will rock the boat a little. Even if they are in FF/FG, I won't vote for FG because there all sheep.

Care to tell us how they would rock anything without breaking it beyond repair? This is all twaddle. What exactly would make you happy? What rocking can be done? Care to put a price on said rocking? Your anti austerity candidates won't leave much in the coffers for those garda and fire service jobs you want.

Personally I'll be voting this government back in if I can. I didn't vote for them last time but can see what they have achieved in the meantime while all opposition either calls foul on every initiative just for the sake of it or promises to wipe out all cutbacks and charges with no credible alternatives to finance the country being offered. We have taken a hit certainly under this government but I can just as certainly see things beginning to improve a lot earlier than I thought they would.
    I am open to alternatives but nobody has produced any as yet. This budget seems to be aimed at reflecting the current financial situation as best it can but who on earth could come up a cure-all considering the mess we had a few years back?
    All that said, it's pure speculation as to the content of the budget, so let's wait on specifics. Some people will never be happy and will always want to rant and complain but they are usually the ones with no practical workable alternatives. The old empty vessels types.

Certainly, but when you have them deciding to row back on give out bonuses, will the people funding it are handed nothing. I don't even get a bonus in my job FFS.

They you hear story's of FG recruits using Garda resources to drive them to the airport. Just the same as the other cowboys.

Care to tell us how they would rock anything without breaking it beyond repair? This is all twaddle. What exactly would make you happy? What rocking can be done? Care to put a price on said rocking?

I would like to see some back benchers finding there voice. Younger TD's as Minister or even Ministers in the real world cause you can still have young and idiotic. These boys in the job now are there too long and are still living the gravy train dream.

I for one as tax payer funding this codlogy am not one bit happy and there recovery crap doesn't wash with me to be perfectly honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 357 ✭✭flended12

Once FF don't get back in ...I am happy enough to keep goin the way we are till the next general election after this. For the record I do hope the virus that is FF never see an election win in my lifetime

Certainly, but when you have them deciding to row back on give out bonuses, will the people funding it are handed nothing. I don't even get a bonus in my job FFS.

They you hear story's of FG recruits using Garda resources to drive them to the airport. Just the same as the other cowboys.

What?

So where are those alternative budget points then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Definitely voting this govt back as well. There's simply no other option. If people thought they'd seen "austerity", just give SF and the rest of the screwballs power and trust me, you wouldn't have seen anything yet....

Wow, such a convincing argument against the current govt, really selling Paul Murphy and the rest of the loony tunes to us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

Not my post but sums up My feelings...

Go.back as far as you like and go back to all the manifestos of any government that has taking charge of our country.

Has any government achieved their manifesto they laid out.

Who was made suffer no matter what happened while they were in government, even after bailing out the banks, who bailed out the people now the banks are back and running. Who is trying to save people's homes.
    What was it again that Enda promised.
    What was it that Enda said while he was a TD. It was morally wrong to tax a person's home. It's a vampire tax.

Do ye really believe Bertie won the money on the horses.
    How disgraceful was Cowan as a taoiseach, he crumbled when pressured.
    Do you believe Enda when he said he didn't fire the garda top notch, a garda that actually took a bullet while on the job.
    Did Enda burn the bondholders.
    Remember Charlie and his expensive hand made shirts.
    How much per head was that dinner Enda attended again. 25k.

Who paid for shatters passport photos.
    Who paid for the long distance phone calls in the Dail.
    Who is paying travel expenses for Tds than don't even drive.
    Remember the cost of the biscuits bill.
    Remember how every amendment only distance the people further away from any power they once held.
    Remember the give and take back accommodation for the homeless.
    Remember sitserv.
    Remember Denis O Brien
    Remember the 42% bailout lumped onto your heads.
    Remember the sneaky behind the back dealings years before they issued any water bill to sell it off.
    Remember the lies and lies told to you about it will be never sold off. To your face on air on tv told it will never be sold off.
    Remember the arresting of peacefully assembly which is consituional.
    Remember the gardai heavy handed with mothers fathers sons daughters nannies grandfather's.
    Remember the amount of money wasted on Irish water.
    Remember the lies of conservation even tho for years and years they have been told on how to save water but never did.
    Remember the bribes to get you to sign up.
    Remember they hired thugs to call to houses in ski masks to scare the ****e out of them.

When they call to the door asking you for a vote. Remember what pat rabbit said. Sure isn't that what you tel them to get elected. And remember he just took 2 million away with him.

Irish water got a gym, what did you get.
    Irish water got all new laptops phones for everyone In the audience. What did you get.
    Irish water got serious bonuses. You got what.
    Irish water drive around with no tax insurance, your paying for Irish water can you drive around with no tax and insurance.
    The protectors of the peace, these days seem like the hinch men of the apocalyptic sons of satan.
    Who pays the Tds and ministers and the gardai wages.

So you pay and have paid for all of this, your kids will be paying for it for many years to come. Our schools are over crowded and or hospitals are same and underfunded.
    The nct is a con, but you still have to pay for it. Road tax is a joke remember VW and what they have been doing..
    You pay for a tv licence and your never told the truth.
    Your beating, humiliated, arrested,and stripped of consituional rights.
    And your led to believe this government has your best interests at heart.half a million of your our kids sent away for work and another half a million forced into slave labour to only justify numbers of how many are working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭sozbox

Not my post but sums up My feelings...

Go.back as far as you like and go back to all the manifestos of any government that has taking charge of our country.

Has any government achieved their manifesto they laid out.

Who was made suffer no matter what happened while they were in government, even after bailing out the banks, who bailed out the people now the banks are back and running. Who is trying to save people's homes.
    What was it again that Enda promised.
    What was it that Enda said while he was a TD. It was morally wrong to tax a person's home. It's a vampire tax.

Do ye really believe Bertie won the money on the horses.
    How disgraceful was Cowan as a taoiseach, he crumbled when pressured.
    Do you believe Enda when he said he didn't fire the garda top notch, a garda that actually took a bullet while on the job.
    Did Enda burn the bondholders.
    Remember Charlie and his expensive hand made shirts.
    How much per head was that dinner Enda attended again. 25k.

Who paid for shatters passport photos.
    Who paid for the long distance phone calls in the Dail.
    Who is paying travel expenses for Tds than don't even drive.
    Remember the cost of the biscuits bill.
    Remember how every amendment only distance the people further away from any power they once held.
    Remember the give and take back accommodation for the homeless.
    Remember sitserv.
    Remember Denis O Brien
    Remember the 42% bailout lumped onto your heads.
    Remember the sneaky behind the back dealings years before they issued any water bill to sell it off.
    Remember the lies and lies told to you about it will be never sold off. To your face on air on tv told it will never be sold off.
    Remember the arresting of peacefully assembly which is consituional.
    Remember the gardai heavy handed with mothers fathers sons daughters nannies grandfather's.
    Remember the amount of money wasted on Irish water.
    Remember the lies of conservation even tho for years and years they have been told on how to save water but never did.
    Remember the bribes to get you to sign up.
    Remember they hired thugs to call to houses in ski masks to scare the ****e out of them.

When they call to the door asking you for a vote. Remember what pat rabbit said. Sure isn't that what you tel them to get elected. And remember he just took 2 million away with him.

Irish water got a gym, what did you get.
    Irish water got all new laptops phones for everyone In the audience. What did you get.
    Irish water got serious bonuses. You got what.
    Irish water drive around with no tax insurance, your paying for Irish water can you drive around with no tax and insurance.
    The protectors of the peace, these days seem like the hinch men of the apocalyptic sons of satan.
    Who pays the Tds and ministers and the gardai wages.

So you pay and have paid for all of this, your kids will be paying for it for many years to come. Our schools are over crowded and or hospitals are same and underfunded.
    The nct is a con, but you still have to pay for it. Road tax is a joke remember VW and what they have been doing..
    You pay for a tv licence and your never told the truth.
    Your beating, humiliated, arrested,and stripped of consituional rights.
    And your led to believe this government has your best interests at heart.half a million of your our kids sent away for work and another half a million forced into slave labour to only justify numbers of how many are working.

twaddle overload. 1 million kids emigrated or in job bridge? get real will you ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

sozbox wrote: »
    twaddle overload. 1 million kids emigrated or in job bridge? get real will you ffs.

You want to vote for them again....more fool you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Owryan

How did amending the constitution to allow gay people marry erode people power?

What's road tax?

I must have been out when i was due to be "beating, humiliated, arrested,and stripped of consituional rights" do i re apply or will they call back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You not getting a bonus is this governments fault? :confused:

But, how out of tune can you be when we are about to witness the first give away budget for closing in on 10 years.

Anyway...

I get why economists are advising the government to be prudent and to pay down the national debt instead of cutting taxes etc. Academically it would be the right thing to do.

However, how stupid can you be to think this is what a government is GOING to do just before a GE, considering the level of understanding the general Irish populace have about the situation we are in.

FG/LAB have done the heavy lifting over the last number of years. It is completely acceptable to buy the next election (we allowed FF to do it for decades, even when FG led governments did the decent thing - remember the rainbow coalition that set the country to prosperity).

Do I think the FF/LAB politicians are particularly smart - No, but collectively they have done a decent job, perhaps a B minus over the last number of years. However, to think SF or a group of NIMBY or IMBY (reopen our decrepit hospital now!) independents is the answer then we deserve all we get.

As for FF, you'd have to have serious masochistic tendencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

What date is the Budget on ?

13th of October

13th October.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Brian from Bray

13th of October

Christ, that soon. I better start stocking up on packets of tobacco :pac:

Christ, that soon. I better start stocking up on packets of tobacco..:pac:

Or quit altogether. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Again, the anti people offer no alternative.

Employment figures up, tax revenue up, consumer confidence on the rise as evidenced by car sales and VAT

Whining about Enda promised us thus and that, didn't Ruth Coppinger say that Dell should have been nationalised, I'd say she will be promising to nationalise Google, Facebook and Microsoft here too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭The Randy Riverbeast

People can complain about the current government all they want but nobody else has a solution that would work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Whining about Enda promised us thus and that, didn't Ruth Coppinger say that Dell should have been nationalised, I'd say she will be promising to nationalise Google, Facebook and Microsoft here too.

She's too busy Occupying a building site. .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,534 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

If you think workers are going to be shafted in this budget OP, you're woefully ill-informed. This is going to be a giveaway budget for "the workers". USC reduced and tax bands increased I expect.

Tobacco and petrol excise - no complaints due to the effect on the health service and the environment.

I sure do. I'll be giving my local FG candidate a big juicy No.1 and my local Labour candidate a No.2 and then I will be leaving the voting station.

For the first time since 2007 I feel we're back on track and there is no way in hell I am risking my future by handing over the economy to a bunch of basket case, tax the rich, nationalise Dell, sure isn't treated water free, protest everything, offer nothing lefties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

A diesel excise would be sensible, filthy crap that it is. The EU are aiming to get rid of diesels eventually, and good riddance too. In contrast, petrol is fairly clean when put into an efficient engine.

• Advertisement

sozbox wrote: »
    I sure do. I'll be giving my local FG candidate a big juicy No.1 and my local Labour candidate a No.2 and then I will be leaving the voting station.

For the first time since 2007 I feel we're back on track and there is no way in hell I am risking my future by handing over the economy to a bunch of basket case, tax the rich, nationalise Dell, sure isn't treated water free, protest everything, offer nothing lefties.

Couldn't put it better myself. I'll be doing the exact same here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Bebo stunnah

It's about time they introduced PAYE, PRSI and USC onto social welfare and single parent payments at this stage, would be nice to see them finally contributing. Completely scrap jobsbridge... and introduce a proper payment scheme.

As long as they don't touch Petrol or motor tax I'll be fine with it, but I highly doubt they'll leave it alone as it hasn't been increased in the last 2 budgets. It would be very satisfying to see deisel brought up to the same excise and tax level that petrol is!

It's about time they introduced PAYE, PRSI and USC onto social welfare and single parent payments at this stage, would be nice to see them finally contributing.

Wouldn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭laserlad2010

As someone who hopes to become a "high earner", I have no intention of voting for a party which aims to place an unfair tax on my success.

I admire SOME of the leftist principles but this "blame the rich, blame government" attitude is losing them vast numbers of reasonable voters.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭masti123

No chance of me voting FG/LAB. There is no recovery. Massive homeless crisis, housing/rental crisis, privatization of water. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

• Advertisement

masti123 wrote: »
    There is no recovery. Massive homeless crisis, housing/rental crisis, privatization of water. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

*sigh*

No chance of me voting FG/LAB. There is no recovery. Massive homeless crisis, housing/rental crisis, privatization of water. The rich get richer, the poor get poorer.

Huge recovery under way, all economic indicators are positive, you'd be blind or have an agenda not to see it. Irish Water is a semi-state utility with legislation in place to prevent privatisation unless the people vote for it.

Housing/rental market is supply and demand based, as prices rise new builds will come online. Incr. rent supplement will simply see landlords incr. prices and we'd be back to square one.

Homelessness is a serious problem, what have you done, as a member of this society to help aliieveate it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Given what's happening with the house crisis and the risk of another property bubble (already started really) -- the last thing I will do is vote Fianna Fail back in.

I may not like the current government per se, but they seem to be getting things done. The typical Irish budget always goes after cigarettes and alcohol. Nothing new.

Of this government, Fine Gael had the most scandals but Labour lost the most voters. Honestly I'll just play it safe and vote for one of the two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I'm not a smart man, as some would say as sharp as a marble but the way I look at it is the lads in power now are ejjits, the lads not in power are ejjits too, now the big question is who are the bigger ejjits?
    Will a cut in the USC really make that much of a difference to each individual family, not really when it's spread over 12 months but combine that with the Xmas bonus and you get a decent total that can either help the health service or go a very small way in paying off the debt.
    Are the ejjits that are not in power offering any real alternatives to save us a few quid? No, not really and any savings spread out throughout the year really average out at very little.

But, this recovery we are told we are having, who is responsible for that, is it the workers out there burning the midnight oil, getting the new contracts increasing their business, or is it the TD who has fecked off to China for a week? I honestly don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

The Green Party came up with the Carbon Tax idea and not a cent goes towards the environment.

I dont see the Americans paying a carbon tax and they pollute more than we do.

I wonder will they go after the cut price supermaket alcohol or fatty foods?

I hope that they dont increase the tax on Petrol and Diesel, if you tax that it drives up inflation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 ✭✭✭questionmark?

What a load of utter ****! Utter utter ****. You and your ilk have nothing positive and I really mean that NOT one positive thing to say!

Genuine recovery in the country not that the Anti Austerity Bull****ers or Sinn Fein would have you believe.

I for one will be supporting a return of the FG/Lab Government. They are not perfect far from it but are the best thing for the country right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭rockatansky

I'd have no issue with Fine Gael being back in Government after the next GE.

Labour as a party can die for all I care. Would like nothing better than to see their vote collapse similar to the Greens and PDs.

My biggest concern is the rise of Fianna Fáil again. People bang on about Sinn Feins Economic Policies being dangerous for the country, and maybe they are. But to see the very people who brought the country to near Financial apocalypse getting under 20% in recent opinion polls, with many of the old guard still in place, is incomprehensible to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭dinevalesco

Quick question guys - do you rekcon there's a chance that the rate of DIRT will be reduced? Ta. R.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

It's about time they introduced PAYE, PRSI and USC onto social welfare and single parent payments at this stage, would be nice to see them finally contributing.

Social insurance benefits are taxable.

It's common and normal for people to pay income tax on social insurance benefits.

As social assistance is means-tested, then I suppose it doesn't make sense to tax them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Quick question guys - do you rekcon there's a chance that the rate of DIRT will be reduced? Ta. R.

Unlikely.

Maybe a small cut.

• Advertisement
Advertisement