Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

• Reduce social welfare by half. Saves 9,600,000,000.
    • Limit children's allowance to people with one irish parent at least. None of this - emigrants have a child here, or other europeans having kids here getting this benefit.
    • Increasing building in houses. This increases house to solve the homeless problem, and creates jobs in the economy.
    • Spend another 1.5B in each of Education and Health.
    • New transport System in Ireland. The equivalent of Dublin Bus and Dart in every county.
    • Dissolve irish water.
    • Reduce income tax to 15% and 33% respectively.
    • Everyone earning 150K + pays a flat rate of 18% on everything.
    • Capital gains, and capital acquisition tax reduced to 23%.
    • Reduce vat to 20%
    • Increase corporation tax to 15% on profits of over 1Million.
    • Tax on rental income to be 25%. Remove it from income tax completely.
    • Increase cigarettes to €15 per pack.
    • Buy all commercial units for sale and rent them out at 60% market rate. Creates business in the local economy and creates jobs.
    • Increase charitable payments to animal rights groups.
    Is this a party political broadcast for Sinn Fein?

Absolutely hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Any good news expected by way of childcare for parents of children in primary school?

I'm hearing great things for parents of kids of pre school age, but what about the kids who finish at 1.30-2.30 every day? Is after school care on the cards at all?

I heard rumblings about it earlier in the year, but can't seem to find any news about it at all amongst all the talk of pre school allowances. Trying to find a job that fits around school collections and after school care is very hard and is a real issue for me and many of the other parents I work with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Get a job then. To many people with their cushy lives living on the dole, having kids, not getting married so they can claim loan parents, rent allowance, council house ect, having 4/5/6 kids for the children's allowance.

Absolute wasters. Get a job.

Dear heart! :pac:

How I wish you were talking about the world we live in, and there were jobs for all.
    namloc1980 wrote: »
    Or they could simply register for a postal vote?!

Actually you're right, they could. But they won't, and the parties in power know it. Have just one important vote on a Sunday and you'll see the difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Maynooth alone registered 5,000 students (in a campus of 9,000?) for the referendum and another 2,000 during orientation week just gone.

Students might be a big voting bloc for once...

just watch Inda call the election for a Thursday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

just watch Inda call the election for a Thursday.

Why Thursday ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Get a job then. To many people with their cushy lives living on the dole, having kids, not getting married so they can claim loan parents, rent allowance, council house ect, having 4/5/6 kids for the children's allowance.

Absolute wasters. Get a job.

There is less than 1 job vacancy for every 10 unemployed people in the country so even if every single job vacancy in Ireland was filled tomorrow, we'd still be left with 90% of the current live register...

Get a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

There is less than 1 job vacancy for every 10 unemployed people in the country so even if every single job vacancy in Ireland was filled tomorrow, we'd still be left with 90% of the current live register...

Get a clue.

So if every current vacancy was filled tomorrow there wouldn't be more tomorrow or next week ?

Get a clue.

Bit harsh. Maybe Hollister is going to be the young entrepreneur who will hire the other nine at good salaries and end unemployment.

So if every current vacancy was filled tomorrow there wouldn't be more tomorrow or next week ?

You don't seem to understand the problem, do you?

There are many, many times more unemployed people than there are jobs....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

Motor Tax, Fuel & Tolls are all easy targets ! More PRSI from the self employed also, Ouch!

Why Thursday ?

to stop a big chunk of students from getting home to vote.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 323 ✭✭emigrate2012

There are many, many times more unemployed people than there are jobs....[/quote]

This... Their was also some toss bag a good few pages back spouting about "loads of jobs for shop workers, kitchen jobs etc), they're lazy they should just get a job"
    Yes, there IS plenty advertised, but as above, there's Way more applicants than jobs, I know. I'm 31 ffs, I apply for these jobs every day and have a few years experience in these type of jobs... I haven't gotten an interview or call back in two fcukin years and some of these places (a lot) are looking for 1yr + experience....
    It's not so cut and dried. Not to mention jobbridge or fcukin agencies(not set hours could 45 1 week, 12 the next, 21 the week after.... Had I continued with that I would have been homeless.... That's a fact... Zero hour contracts is a serious issue that needs to be addressed, amongst many others)

As much as it pains me to admit it, FF/LB are really the only viable option. Can't vote FF back in (unless people have v. short memories/are thick) SF? Sweet jesus , no. Or the other option, a gaggle of independents, with no cohesive, unified plan. It'd end up as pure parish pump politics and be a disaster...

That's all I have to say on the matter, till I hear some hard figures tomorrow.
    G'night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

Probably a stupid question buh: can i apply these changes to the USC and extra tax credit for self employed to my preliminary tax calculation for 2015, which i will be paying to revenue at the end of this month?

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Probably a stupid question buh: can i apply these changes to the USC and extra tax credit for self employed to my preliminary tax calculation for 2015, which i will be paying to revenue at the end of this month?

I think the stuff is announced tomorrow but a lot of it won't be effective until 1st Jan?

awec wrote: »
    I think the stuff is announced tomorrow but a lot of it won't be effective until 1st Jan?

Hmm probably, yeah...but I'm not actually paying my 2015 tax until next October, as the preliminary tax is basically an estimated amount (by me) that they 'hold in reserve' until then.

Confused as to whether these rumoured changes will apply to my 2015 return next October or the 2016 return in Oct 2017!

Thanks anyway though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

I'm still finding it absolutely hilarious how out of sync the government is with the average worker. In my current role I don't get a 'Christmas bonus' or any type of bonus, yet I am expected to pay taxes to pay for peoples bonuses on welfare?

And they can go and blow there 0.5% USC reduction out there arses. The thing should be abolished, its was on temporary.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

Cigarettes should be €15 a pack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭djflawless

MJI wrote: »
    Cigarettes should be €15 a pack.

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

djflawless wrote: »
    Why?
    Because the only moral thing to do is exploit the addicted bastards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

djflawless wrote: »
    Why?

Because I want people to suffer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Tax cuts? Dole bonuses? Property prices? We're all gonna be rich lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Hmm probably, yeah...but I'm not actually paying my 2015 tax until next October, as the preliminary tax is basically an estimated amount (by me) that they 'hold in reserve' until then.

Confused as to whether these rumoured changes will apply to my 2015 return next October or the 2016 return in Oct 2017!

Thanks anyway though!

Changes announced today are in respect of the 2016 tax year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

The joys of been self employed!

Paying tax for next year already!

Geuze wrote: »
    Changes announced today are in respect of the 2016 tax year.

Of course, it makes sense. Was just hoping against hope I could maybe have some money for food in November. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Of course, it makes sense. Was just hoping against hope I could maybe have some money for food in November. :o

It's madness alright.

Corporation tax aswell has to be preliminary paid.

Always been like that though. If you don't have the money they don't demand it.

If its choice between food or tax always pick the food.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Maynooth alone registered 5,000 students (in a campus of 9,000?) for the referendum and another 2,000 during orientation week just gone.

Students registering to vote and students actually getting out to vote are very very different things!

Is there a way to report blatant lies like this from the media?

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/budget-2016-usc-cut-worth-1000-for-workers-31604778.html
    Every worker in the country will be €1,000 better off thanks to cuts in the much-hated Universal Social Charge (USC).

someone has to be earning at least €45,800 a year before they can save €1,000 from the USC changes
    and there are tens of thousands of people who don't even pay €1,000 in USC to begin with.

edit: it's not €45,800, it's actually €79k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

A giveaway propaganda budget using borrowed money. Brave stuff from our visionary government. Did they learn nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Is there a way to report blatant lies like this from the media?

http://www.independent.ie/business/budget/budget-2016-usc-cut-worth-1000-for-workers-31604778.html

someone has to be earning at least €45,800 a year before they can save €1,000 from the USC changes
    and there are tens of thousands of people who don't even pay €1,000 in USC to begin with.

"USC rates will be altered, with the top rate cut by 1.5 percentage points bringing it from 7% to 5.5%; the middle from 3.5% to 3%; and the lower from 1.5% to 1%."

Maths isn't my strongest suit, but I'm guessing this is going to mean very little to somebody earning below €30k?.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-set-to-cut-usc-rates-in-family-friendly-budget-700404.html

JustTheOne wrote: »
    It's madness alright.

Corporation tax aswell has to be preliminary paid.

Always been like that though. If you don't have the money they don't demand it.

If its choice between food or tax always pick the food.

Yeah, tempted...but doing that last year has me in the position I am now...It's like the car tax and Nct, they'll always get you down the line.

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Students registering to vote and students actually getting out to vote are very very different things!

The student vote was massive in may.

Wasn't the USC, like the various 'levies' supposed to be temporary? How long have they all been imposed now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭Stranger Danger

to stop a big chunk of students from getting home to vote.

Proper order.

Most students having a clue and are too busy pretending to be Marxists to try and impress the cute Arts Undergrad.

I fear for the future prosperity of our country should a bunch of dutch gold drinking faux intellectuals, who've never done a days work in their lives, get to decide the next election.

Amazing how having a vote during the week wasn't an issue for so, so long.

Out you go, so, and get the working-class vote out. The main problem in Irish politics is the voluntary disenfranchisement of the working classes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

What date and time is this to start at?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Tombi! wrote: »
    What date and time is this to start at?

Today at 2.15pm

Seanachai wrote: »
    "USC rates will be altered, with the top rate cut by 1.5 percentage points bringing it from 7% to 5.5%; the middle from 3.5% to 3%; and the lower from 1.5% to 1%."

Maths isn't my strongest suit, but I'm guessing this is going to mean very little to somebody earning below €30k?.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/government-set-to-cut-usc-rates-in-family-friendly-budget-700404.html

They're also bringing the threshold up from €12012 to €13000 so that's €988 that won't be USC'd. Whoopee!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Seanachai wrote: »

People below 30k pay very little tax as it is:

http://www.taxinstitute.ie/Portals/0/Effective%20Income%20Tax%20Rates%20Ireland%20v%207%20competitor%20countries.pdf

Earlier in the thread people were saying how Germany has a higher tax rate but better public services. It's only noticably higher for low income workers. Minimum wage workers in Ireland pay less that 5% income tax. The same salary in Germany is taxed over 27%. The middle income workers have been paying all the tax to subsidise low income workers and social welfare recipients. I'm all for a progressive tax system but Ireland's is overly progressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlimpyBoy

They're also bringing the threshold up from €12012 to €13000 so that's €988 that won't be USC'd. Whoopee!

If you make over €13,000 that change will give you an extra 19 cent per week!

They really are trying to bribe us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

I'm amazed they hadn't already been rail-roaded onto the register for the gay marriage referendum.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

awec wrote: »

Usual budget rules to apply,

GOV take in money; Increases on fuel drink etc, from midnight the day of the budget

Gov give away money;Tax breaks, from Jan 1st

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Same idiotic mistakes being made again,you would despair for this country

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Slightly OT But....
    Wouldnt it be lovely if FG got back into power and continued the economic recovery but this time without the nepotism, trough nosing, Irish water quangoing, jobs for the boysing, self serving , typically Irish politics ****e which will always leave a bad taste in anyones mouth regardless of what ever positives are achieved.
    Lovely...
    But somehow.....
    I think....
    ah well.

Wouldnt it be lovely if FG got back into power and continued the economic recovery but this time without the nepotism, trough nosing, Irish water quangoing, jobs for the boysing, self serving

But then it wouldn't be Fine Gael!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Fags up 50c. Thats me off them

Fags up 50c. Thats me off them

Oh, fantastic! Well done! Your life will be so much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

tobsey wrote: »
    People below 30k pay very little tax as it is:

http://www.taxinstitute.ie/Portals/0/Effective%20Income%20Tax%20Rates%20Ireland%20v%207%20competitor%20countries.pdf

Earlier in the thread people were saying how Germany has a higher tax rate but better public services. It's only noticably higher for low income workers. Minimum wage workers in Ireland pay less that 5% income tax. The same salary in Germany is taxed over 27%. The middle income workers have been paying all the tax to subsidise low income workers and social welfare recipients. I'm all for a progressive tax system but Ireland's is overly progressive.

I've heard that argument before but is it a fair comparison, I have friends who lived in Germany that said their health service is top notch but they're having rent price issues at the moment aren't they?. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount of taxes but I want quality in return for it ( I'm a frequent visitor to our lovely public hospitals ).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Same idiotic mistakes being made again,you would despair for this country

They need to kickstart the economy and get people spending again. Can't do what with the way taxes are now. What little I have left I save and only spend what I need so I'm putting next to nothing back into the economy.

New EU spending rules from next year mean we will never see a budget like this again anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

When I worked in the public service, after starting out in the private sector, I got my paycheck one day and said, "They've got something wrong - who do I ring - they've paid me too much?" My new colleagues laughed at me. "That's your annual increment." "My wha?" They explained that my pay automagically rose every month. I'd never heard its like.

Happens in the private sector too, I'm entitled to increments along with any pay increases due to promotion along with another increase to keep up with inflation.

Increments are quite common to be honest...

• Advertisement
Advertisement