Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2016

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

MJI wrote: »
    Cigarettes should be €15 a pack.
    Great idea.

The fellas selling cheap fags on the black market would be delighted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

Seanachai wrote: »
    I've heard that argument before but is it a fair comparison, I have friends who lived in Germany that said their health service is top notch but they're having rent price issues at the moment aren't they?. I don't mind paying a reasonable amount of taxes but I want quality in return for it ( I'm a frequent visitor to our lovely public hospitals ).

It would be easier to afford a better health service if people were paying more in income tax. It's a chicken and egg scenario though, tax first and improve services later, or improve services and use that to justify tax increases. The problem with the second option is it must be done with borrowed money. Given that government debt is still above 100% of GDP, although going down, this isn't an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

FrStone wrote: »
    Increments are quite common to be honest...

Not really in the private sector. I have worked in both and the increments and shift bonuses in the public sector were crazy. I was getting payed more and more for the same or less work load. Worked a Saturday, oh that's the higher rate and a shift bonus for actually dragging my arse out of bed on a weekend. I miss the pay but can't stand the incompetance and waste I have experienced first hand in the public sector.

In the private sector I have to earn and fight for my pay rises. Those who don't perform are sacked, those who put the effort in are payed for it. In the public sector there were unless shames "working" with me that messed up all the time but still got all the increments and could not be sacked even if they burned the place to the ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

Not really in the private sector. I have worked in both and the increments and shift bonuses in the public sector were crazy. I was getting payed more and more for the same or less work load. Worked a Saturday, oh that's the higher rate and a shift bonus for actually dragging my arse out of bed on a weekend. I miss the pay but can't stand the incompetance and waste I have experienced first hand in the public sector.

In the private sector I have to earn and fight for my pay rises. Those who don't perform are sacked, those who put the effort in are payed for it. In the public sector there were unless shames "working" with me that messed up all the time but still got all the increments and could not be sacked even if they burned the place to the ground.

Some companies have ridiculous criteria for the bonuses though, if you are sick twice in three months you can lose the bonus for example. It's like they want to minimise how many people get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

A giveaway propaganda budget using borrowed money. Brave stuff from our visionary government. Did they learn nothing?
    Apparently the EU are perfectly happy with it because our deficit is so much on target and below 3% - people will call this a giveaway budget but it's only giveaway in terms of the last 6/7 years.. The people have suffered enough, time to give something back for the sacrifices of the people.

Don't worry the EU will block this budget if they don't like it.. They have today told Spain to re-write their budget so if they are happy then I think the government is doing a good job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

irishfeen wrote: »
    Apparently the EU are perfectly happy with it because our deficit is so much on target and below 3% - people will call this a giveaway budget but it's only giveaway in terms of the last 6/7 years.. The people have suffered enough, time to give something back for the sacrifices of the people.

Don't worry the EU will block this budget if they don't like it.. They have today told Spain to re-write their budget so if they are happy then I think the government is doing a good job.

That's the thing.

People winging about austerity the last few years, now country is doing ok again and the government look to give a little back its slammed by the serial wingers for buying votes.

No matter what they do they can't win.

I'm starting to think maybe Sinn Fein or AAA getting in would be a good thing to show people its not as bad as it could be and it might stop them from winging so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Out you go, so, and get the working-class vote out. The main problem in Irish politics is the voluntary disenfranchisement of the working classes.

FG/Labour have done much to amend that with the water tax and I commend them for it. I've seen vast amounts of people who could tell the winner of last seasons x factor before they could name the minister for finance now determined to throw this government out on their arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

In all fairness I've never worked in a company where you wouldn't get extra pay for working a weekend.

I don't work weekends how but in the past it was time and a half for a Saturday, double on a Sunday.

Maybe it's my industry, but I would never move to the civil service as the pay and conditions are no where near as good as the private sector. You end up having to pay for your own health insurance, no bonuses, pay for your own Christmas party and if you go out for lunch with your colleagues you pay yourself not the company.

And the core pay is less too...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Oh, fantastic! Well done! Your life will be so much better.

The biggest pay hike any smoker will ever get is obtained by quitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

JustTheOne wrote: »
    That's the thing.

People winging about austerity the last few years, now country is doing ok again and the government look to give a little back its slammed by the serial wingers for buying votes.

No matter what they do they can't win.

I'm starting to think maybe Sinn Fein or AAA getting in would be a good thing to show people its not as bad as it could be and it might stop them from winging so much.

Except the nations not doing well again. 9% unemployed, health service in meltdown (should be funny this Winter, not), unsustainable levels of debt and repayments, justice system a joke, quango's on the rise, crime out of control in rural Ireland (it's okay though because the luvlies who work in RTE and report the news live in gated leafy South Dublin suburbs) and don't even get me started on the homeless, rents and housing situation.

But yeah stop whinging and get the green jersey on for the big win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

They need to kickstart the economy and get people spending again. Can't do what with the way taxes are now. What little I have left I save and only spend what I need so I'm putting next to nothing back into the economy.

New EU spending rules from next year mean we will never see a budget like this again anyway.

Money is pouring into the economy

this stunt is not needed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Did anyone expect anything other than a fairly reasonable giveaway budget, considering a) how the economy has improved and b) we're due an election?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Except the nations not doing well again. 9% unemployed, health service in meltdown (should be funny this Winter, not), unsustainable levels of debt and repayments, justice system a joke, quango's on the rise, crime out of control in rural Ireland (it's okay though because the luvlies who work in RTE and report the news live in gated leafy South Dublin suburbs) and don't even get me started on the homeless, rents and housing situation.

But yeah stop whinging and get the green jersey on for the big win.
    You do realise these are problems that even countries like the States, UK etc are struggling with too - watch news from NI or the UK and you will see how they struggle with health overcrowding, waiting lists etc.

I hate when people run down this country for the sake of it, the Irish economy collapsed almost completely - the greatest contraction of any economy since the Great Depression yet some 7/8 years later we have come back and lead growth in the EU, unemployment down 5-6% etc.

Christ sake I'd wish people looked on the bright side of this country, if we keep running ourselves down then we maze well all give up and move abroad...

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

Christmas Bonus. Amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,330 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

to stop a big chunk of students from getting home to vote.

If these students were so concerned about voting, they could register for a postal vote but as pointed out they won't. Therefore do they really care in the first place???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭the evasion_kid

wardides wrote: »
    Christmas Bonus. Amazing.

Yep some people are bought cheap...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭barry181091

Free GP care for under 11's in budget apparently. Great idea, slowly bringing up the amount of free GP care to the state. I just don't see how they would get this in without a fight.

Money is pouring into the economy

this stunt is not needed

You can give me the extra money you get from the tax reductions so if you don't want it. The mind really does boggle with some people :confused:

Its very much needed the 52% marginal rate is criminal and has to be reduced along with the changes to inheritance tax to increase threasholds and hopefully a reduction in CAT and CGT. Hopefully leaving petrol and drink alone too and hopefully we I we will see many more positives as the day goes on.

I voted for FG in the last election (and previous elections) and I will be voting for them again without doubt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭whatdoicare

What's the story with the free preschool year? Is it going to be two free years or one year earlier or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭wardides

It never amazes me the patronising outlook many have on students around election time. If they speak up about their opinions and decide to vote they are told "What do they know, they're only kids, they haven't experienced real life etc". If they don't vote they're criticised.

Considering most of these students were brought up in an age were they witnessed the country shoot itself in the head, run to the ground & constant media discussion of bailouts, bankers & government expenses, I find it quite easy to see why the majority of students couldn't give a toss.

And I also seen a few people there saying how they have no life experience and never worked a real days work? Catch a grip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Hope they don't do away with the writers and artists exemption. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

FrStone wrote: »
    In all fairness I've never worked in a company where you wouldn't get extra pay for working a weekend.

I don't work weekends how but in the past it was time and a half for a Saturday, double on a Sunday.

When I was in the public sector I was getting that for weekend work and a shift bonus regardless of if it was a 4,6,8 or 12 hour day on top of that and a higher rate again if you have to work after 18:00 and higher again after 22:00.

Just had money thrown at me and it wasn't even a skilled position.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have felt for some tome that they should do away with it and tax artists like everybody else with some averaging of income over a three or five year period.

I have felt for some tome that they should do away with it and tax artists like everybody else with some averaging of income over a three or five year period.

Considering the meagre amount of money I make writing I respectfully disagree.

They did increase the cap by 10k last year so I don't think they will actually scrap it completely. They could pull the cap right down though.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

What happened to the word last year that higher rate was going to be dropped down another percent in this budget? He definitely said it in last years speech yet no sign of it here.

• Advertisement

Considering the meagre amount of money I make writing I respectfully disagree..
    Meh, there's tonnes of things I do that I make no money for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Most writers, if you saw them on the street you'd give them a penny.

I remember years ago someone saying to me, "That Francis Stuart, he must be a millionaire, all the books he's written." How I laughed.

And it gives Ireland a lot of kudos that we take care of our artists and writers. Not as well as, say, France or Finland, but we're good for a small country.

Meh, there's tonnes of things I do that I make no money for.

Good for you.

That's really got nothing to do with my income and the tax I pay though.
    I remember years ago someone saying to me, "That Francis Stuart, he must be a millionaire, all the books he's written."

Friend of mine was a writer and performer on a TV show in England recently. When he was leaving his call centre job to go to London for filming a work colleague of his presumed he wouldn't be back because he reckoned he'd get about 50k per episode for the show!

guylikeme wrote: »
    What happened to the word last year that higher rate was going to be dropped down another percent in this budget? He definitely said it in last years speech yet no sign of it here.

Dropped to 39%?

Haven't heard about that yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

Dropped to 39%?

Haven't heard about that yet.

In fairness though all we know so far are leaks and rumours, we can't rule anything out until it comes out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

ryanch09 wrote: »
    In fairness though all we know so far are leaks and rumours, we can't rule anything out until it comes out

The IT seems pretty confident:
    USC 7% rate cut to 5.5%, lower rates down by 0.5% each.
    Tax credit for the self-employed
    Home carers credit up from €800 to €1,000
    Free GP care scheme to be extended to children under-12
    Inheritance tax threshold increases to €280,000
    Capital gains tax for self employed drops from 33% to 20%
    Old Age Pension up €3 per week
    Fuel Allowance up €2.50 per week
    75% of Christmas bonus to be restored
    Child benefit up by €5 per week
    Pack of cigarettes up 50c

Again presumably to be funded by those on average incomes who might see €20-50 quid per month extra in their pay packets... but that's before Water Charges, increased rent/mortgage rates, increased commuting costs (either public transport or because they have to trek further now in the car) etc

But no doubt there will be many bought off (with their own money!) by this Budget and vote for the same shower of clowns whenever Enda does conceed he has to let "the people" have a say sometimes!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 89 ✭✭MJI

djflawless wrote: »
    Why?

Because it's a disgusting toxic substance people put into their bodies. i think a €5 increase per pack would force many to stop killing themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭guylikeme

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    The IT seems pretty confident:

Again presumably to be funded by those on average incomes who might see €20-50 quid per month extra in their pay packets... but that's before

Water Charges,
    Already billed for this in 2015. No increase in it.
    increased rent/mortgage rates,
    Giv cant do much about what your landlord charges. Mortgages they can (a bit) but not a great deal. Already gave 3 years extra Mortgage Interest Relief for those worst affected

increased commuting costs (either public transport or because they have to trek further now in the car)
    Barring a rise in fuel tax (and no sign of it in leaks) i don't see how. Oil prices are gone down. Get a leap card for the transport if needs be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Childcare and housing are the big ones for me. I've no kids but might like to some day. Healthcare is just ****ed and I don't see how it will be fixed until the country is well in the black.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

MJI wrote: »
    Because it's a disgusting toxic substance people put into their bodies. i think a €5 increase per pack would force many to stop killing themselves

People living longer is the reason why the health system can't cope and pension systems are collapsing. Kids born today will live well past 100. We should replace free school milk cartons with 20 Benson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭Synchronicity

What's the story with the free preschool year? Is it going to be two free years or one year earlier or what?

It's from age three to five, apparently. Makes good headlines but there will probably be low take-up on the extra year.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mactheknife19

When do any PAYE tax changes take effect, is it Jan 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

Anecdotal evidence regarding smoking but from what I know from speaking with smokers it's "feck it - I'll still buy them". It's not going to stop people already addicted.
    It might stop people from starting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

guylikeme wrote: »
    Already billed for this in 2015. No increase in it.

The point is that these are extra bills that will eat into any supposed giveback quickly

Giv cant do much about what your landlord charges. Mortgages they can (a bit) but not a great deal. Already gave 3 years extra Mortgage Interest Relief for those worst affected[/quote]

Well maybe if they'd done something in Government about the property crisis they've sat back and watched develop - worse, they're calling it a "Recovery" - then maybe people wouldn't be paying Good Times rents again or being priced out into the surrounding counties if they want to buy a house for themselves.
    Barring a rise in fuel tax (and no sign of it in leaks) i don't see how. Oil prices are gone down. Get a leap card for the transport if needs be.

Leap card won't do much for those who have to commute from the next county (or 2) over because that's all they can afford.

FG... yes, we're actually worse than even FF! But then given their track record over the years of never being elected on their own merit (but rather only when FF need a slapping) and never being re-elected for a consectutive term, it's not surprising really that they have no clue beyond following the path laid down by their predecessors/"betters" in Europe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

When do any PAYE tax changes take effect, is it Jan 1

Yes. Unless explicitly stated when he announces the specific change.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

People living longer is the reason why the health system can't cope and pension systems are collapsing. Kids born today will live well past 100. We should replace free school milk cartons with 20 Benson.

And they say smokers and fat people cost more. It's the healthy ****ers draining the economy.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Why would only self employed people get the capital gains benefit?

Considering the meagre amount of money I make writing I respectfully disagree.

They did increase the cap by 10k last year so I don't think they will actually scrap it completely. They could pull the cap right down though.

If it's that meagre you'd be out of the tax net, if treated like everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good that the best paid pensioners in Europe will be getting a pay rise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

namloc1980 wrote: »
    If these students were so concerned about voting, they could register for a postal vote but as pointed out they won't. Therefore do they really care in the first place???

As a student, you'd be shocked how many actually do register for postal votes, or register in their college constituency so they can vote.

I'd adore an increase on the minimum wage, but that's because I'm totally broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am not paying more then 10 euro for a pack of cigarettes

the black market awaits

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

As a student, you'd be shocked how many actually do register for postal votes, or register in their college constituency so they can vote.

I'd adore an increase on the minimum wage, but that's because I'm totally broke.

Minimum wage has apparently already been confirmed as increasing from 8.65 to 9.15 from January 1st, just has to be announced.
    http://www.moneyguideireland.com/minimum-wage-in-ireland-2016.html

Minimum wage is not a budget/finance act item and an increase has just recently been announced anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

I am not paying more then 10 euro for a pack of cigarettes

the black market awaits

I quit smoking last year but I'm pretty sure that even with a 50c increase, pall mall and Mayfair will still be under ten euro a pack. 8.70 now for Mayfair, a fifty cent increase leaves them at 9.20

• Advertisement

Well maybe if they'd done something in Government about the property crisis they've sat back and watched develop - worse, they're calling it a "Recovery" - then maybe people wouldn't be paying Good Times rents again or being priced out into the surrounding counties if they want to buy a house for themselves.

FG... yes, we're actually worse than even FF! But then given their track record over the years of never being elected on their own merit (but rather only when FF need a slapping) and never being re-elected for a consectutive term, it's not surprising really that they have no clue beyond following the path laid down by their predecessors/"betters" in Europe

Very difficult to build lots of required social housing when the country is not overly awash with cash.

I fully expect FG to be re elected next time around. They never get the deserved credit for rescuing the country and getting it back on it's feet.

Advertisement