Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Augeo wrote: »
    Very difficult to build lots of required social housing when the country is not overly awash with cash.

I fully expect FG to be re elected next time around. They never get the deserved credit for rescuing the country and getting it back on it's feet.

There'd be more than enough social housing if only those who are actually entitled to it applied for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I fully expect FG to be re elected next time around. They never get the deserved credit for rescuing the country and getting it back on it's feet.

They didn't do anything to rescue the country. We're tied into agreements with the EU and IMF. All FG did was follow instructions that were set out before they were even in power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

Lemlin wrote: »
    There'd be more than enough social housing if only those who are actually entitled to it applied for it.

This.

Seems nowadays all you have to do is scream I'm homeless and you're put on the housing list.

It's a free for all.

JustTheOne wrote: »
    This.

Seems nowadays all you have to do is scream I'm homeless and you're put on the housing list.

It's a free for all.

Exactly. There's still a lot of work to be completed regarding social welfare fraud in this country. Having two or three kids that you can't feed and cloth shouldn't mean you are entitled to a house. How about you fund a house before you decide to have kids like most people?
    smash wrote: »
    They didn't do anything to rescue the country. We're tied into agreements with the EU and IMF. All FG did was follow instructions that were set out before they were even in power.

And now they're jeopardising all of that with a give away budget to try and hide the huge oversized elephant in the room - Irish Water. I've no problem with people paying for water personally but if you could write a book on how not to introduce a new company/charge, FG would have hit every title imaginable with the fiasco it has been.

Not true.

A lot of the tax changes were fg especially the 9% which has seen tourism employment increase hugely.

Don't believe everything Mary Lou screams.

• Advertisement

Not true.

A lot of the tax changes were fg especially the 9% which has seen tourism employment increase hugely.

Any others you can think of? I'm no fan of Mary Lou btw. I just think any recovery was more European-led than GF-led, not that I have a problem with that. If Brussels does a better job of running the country, I've no problem with them running it.

Exactly. There's still a lot of work to be completed regarding social welfare fraud in this country. Having two or three kids that you can't feed and cloth shouldn't mean you are entitled to a house. How about you fund a house before you decide to have kids like most people?

And now they're jeopardising all of that with a give away budget to try and hide the huge oversized elephant in the room - Irish Water. I've no problem with people paying for water personally but if you could write a book on how not to introduce a new company/charge, FG would have hit every title imaginable with the fiasco it has been.

It's not a huge giveaway budget though.

Sure every party is advocating more giveaways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Any others you can think of? I'm no fan of Mary Lou btw. I just think any recovery was more European-led than GF-led, not that I have a problem with that. If Brussels does a better job of running the country, I've no problem with them running it.
    The recovery was more UK/US led as we are more tied to those economies than the EU one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Very difficult to build lots of required social housing when the country is not overly awash with cash.

They did nothing, they wont get credit from me.

When are they going to comply with the EU in terms of illegal discrimination with the 'local' needs only for Planning Permission in 22 of the local authorities around the country.

Taking the FF playbook and putting it into practice should not get you off lifting Salary Caps, appointing friends of the party, continuing nepotism for jobs and putting together what should be constitutionally illegal the Economic Management Committee excluding elected officials from decisions.

I will give them no pat on the back.

+100

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

i think it's more a case of there would be plenty if only those who needed it were entitled to it. It's not an issue of people who aren't entitled applying, it's a case of too many people being entitled. A person in their early twenties shouldn't be automatically entitled to their own house just because they popped out a sprog.

Have to laugh at sense screaming giveaway budget.

Is there any party who are advocating cutting nothing and spending nothing?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Gerry Adams cause killed gardai,so he can take his hollow words and piss off.

Suppose he's blaming the government?

His hypocrisy knows no bounds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

Gotta admire your lots consistency. Everything can further the agenda :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

Whay the hell does Shane Ross stop after each word.

It. Is . Very. Annoying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The recovery was more UK/US led as we are more tied to those economies than the EU one.

This is so not true. EU is very important to Irish economy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Trust Gerry to use a speech supposed to give condolence to try and score political points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

What did Gerry say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Surely it's better household budgeting in the end to build good homes than to finance people staying in hotels at a large cost? Not to mention that the effect on children of this disrupted housing is going to affect their future.

Saw an interesting quote: “The basis of democracy is the willingness to assume well about other people.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,591 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

What did Gerry say?

More Garda needed around the border.

Any quotes to back this assertion up?

Surely it's better household budgeting in the end to build good homes than to finance people staying in hotels at a large cost? Not to mention that the effect on children of this disrupted housing is going to affect their future.

Saw an interesting quote: “The basis of democracy is the willingness to assume well about other people.”

How many houses do you build? Where do you draw the line?

Does everyone who demands a free house just get one?

How many houses do you build? Where do you draw the line?

Does everyone who demands a free house just get one?

Alot, we have done it before. Why not do it again.

It improves various things, its not just pissing money into the wind.

Jobs, Economy, Health.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

listermint wrote: »
    Any quotes to back this assertion up?

You should have been listening live. Martin stood up first and did what should be done which was show his respects to the dead. Adams was a disgrace bringing policy issues up and only at the very end saying "these are topics for another day". Classless, but expected, from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,946 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I do hate the way Noonan keeps referring to 2-15, 2-16 etc

tobsey wrote: »
    You should have been listening live. Martin stood up first and did what should be done which was show his respects to the dead. Adams was a disgrace bringing policy issues up and only at the very end saying "these are topics for another day". Classless, but expected, from him.

Do you have Quotes ? Since you were listening...

Stay classy Gerry.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I do hate the way Noonan keeps referring to 2-15, 2-16 etc
    Why do people bring this up every year? Its quicker to say 2-15 than two thousand and fifteen. Just let him say what we actually want to hear and not waste time on frivolous things.

• Advertisement

listermint wrote: »
    Do you have Quotes ? Since you were listening...

Unfortunately I don't have the power of recall to state what he said word for word. I wouldn't want to misquote him in case it was held against me. His speech will be on the public record and available soon enough.

I stand by my assertion that he was a disgrace. If you want to disagree you are free to read his comments and defend them.

Noonan still doing his pre-election speech here reminding us all what a great job they've done...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

What did Gerry say?
    Must be this:
    Minister for Justice and Equality, Frances Fitzgerald, was seen to shake her head in the Dáil as Gerry Adams spoke about the killing of gardaí by dissident Republicans and criticised the lack of garda resources in border areas.

Noonan still doing his pre-election speech here reminding us all what a great job they've done...

Exactly what every Minister for Finance in history has done.

He has some valid points. When he came to office, plenty thought the Irish state was a basket case.

Here we go...

- cigarettes up 50c + pro rata on other tobacco products (effective midnight tonight)

- only tax incxrease in this budget

Not true.

I've never listened to her, but FG & Labour are a shower of lying bastards that just love to pass the book. They followed a plan that was already set out and anything good that was in the plan they claimed as their own but for anything bad they used the "blame FF" card.

• Advertisement

Here we go...

- cigarettes up 50% + pro rata on other tobacco products (effective midnight tonight)

- only tax incxrease in this budget

You mean 50c not 50%

You mean 50c not 50%

corrected! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭metrosity

"We're on track to recover all of the jobs lost in the recession".

Yeah Noonan, they're not just jobs, they're people, your replacing.

If another Irish person is forced to emigrate and these companies continues (as they unanimously do) to recruit non-EU citizens or EU citizens interested in only recruiting people from Asia, then your numbers are irrelevant.

You have destroyed this country. You have ensured that Irish people come last and allowed a foreign (almost entirely unnecessary and unremarkable) international workforce (with "boiler room experience") to slander Irish workers as lazy or incompetent and disempower them. You have smeared statistics by allowing companies to enforce zero hour contracts. You have then rewarded these companies for their treachery by ensuring they pay almost no tax.

We need a smart government that works with meta information and not blind numbers - a government that is reactive to the people's needs.

You (FG/Labour) are every bit as much of a failure as the cronies you replaced and you need to go.

You have decimated the heart of Ireland, and purged our national identity and culture.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

You mean 50c not 50%
    mores the pity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

metrosity wrote: »

If another Irish person is forced to emigrate and these companies continues (as they unanimously do) to recruit non-EU citizens or EU citizens interested in only recruiting people from Asia, then your numbers are irrelevant.

You have destroyed this country. You have ensured that Irish people come last and allowed a foreign (almost entirely unnecessary and unremarkable) international workforce (with "boiler room experience") to slander Irish workers as lazy or incompetent and disempower them. You have smeared statistics by allowing companies to enforce zero hour contracts. You have then rewarded these companies for their treachery by ensuring they pay almost no tax.

We need a smart government that works with meta information and not blind numbers - a government that is reactive to the people's needs.

You (FG/Labour) are every bit as much of a failure as the cronies you replaced and you need to go.

You have decimated the heart of Ireland, and purged our national identity and culture.

Are they the best of a really bad lot is the question?

• Advertisement

metrosity wrote: »

Nice copy and paste there. Full of Paul Murphy soundbites.

130,000 back in work disagrees with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,016 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

But no doubt there will be many bought off (with their own money!) by this Budget and vote for the same shower of clowns whenever Enda does conceed he has to let "the people" have a say sometimes!

Who exactly do people advocate that 'the middle' vote for to lead the country as the majority in Government again, since voting FG or Labour is obviously so idiotic? Do FF deserve another chance so soon after wrecking the place? Should we put a pack of terrorists in office with their in depth views from the fisher price school of Economics? Who else?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Nice copy and paste there. Full of Paul Murphy soundbites.

130,000 back in work disagrees with you.

They full time jobs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Entry threshold for USC up to €13,000

Est. > 700,000 people will not be liable for USC from next year

USC rates down to 1%, 3% and 5.5%

Means that earners under €70,044 will pay 49.5% tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Yet more proof that the government don't give a continental about people's health. Taxing fags is just a means of generating revenue.
    Entry threshold for USC up to €13,000

Est. > 700,000 people will not be liable for USC from next year

Unless I'm reading this wrong, more than 700,000 people earn less than 13,000 a year?
    What a time to be alive.

TallGlass wrote: »
    They full time jobs?

You tell me?

The people working in them obviously feel its worth it than to be not working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

say the word thousand Kojak

Yet more proof that the government don't give a continental about people's health. Taxing fags is just a means of generating revenue.

How is that proof?

Surely there is a dual-benefit - health and revenue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Why do people bring this up every year? Its quicker to say 2-15 than two thousand and fifteen. Just let him say what we actually want to hear and not waste time on frivolous things.

Em 20 16 maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

What do you mean? Which bit is the proof they don't care about health?

• Advertisement
Advertisement